more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 02/09/23...

Started by WhiteJC, September 02, 2023, 12:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Dibley-Dias wins Johnny Haynes trophy

The Fulham Supporters' Trust are delighted to congratulate midfielder Matt Dibley-Dias on becoming the latest winner of the Johnny Haynes Trophy for academy player of the year for the 2022/23 season.

The trophy, which was the brainchild of Trust member Peter Grinham and is named in honour of Fulham's finest footballer, is awarded after a vote of the playing and coaching staff at the club's category one academy. Dibley-Dias is the fifth winner of the annual award, following in the footsteps of Tyrese Francois, Jay Stansfield, Fabio Carvalho and Sonny Hilton.

The Brazilian teenager made 32 appearances for Fulham's under-21 side last term, scoring two goals and making four more. His emergence as a key player in the Premier League 2 side saw Marco Silva name Dibley-Dias as a substitute at Old Trafford in the senior side's final game of last season against Manchester United. His integration into the first team continued with excellent performances in three of Fulham's Summer Series fixtures during the pre-season tour of America and being included as a substitute in Fulham's win at Goodison Park on the opening day of the 2023/204 campaign.

Having been presented with the Johnny Haynes Trophy by the Trust at Motspur Park yesterday, Dibley-Dias said:

"I'm really happy and honoured to pick up this award. The names of the players that have won it before me speaks for itself. You've got players like Fabio, Tyrese and Jay who we all look up to so being a part of that list is a great feeling. Those players have set the blueprint for everyone else to follow so if I can achieve what any of those boys have then great, but the path for each player is very different so we'll wait and see what happens.

Looking back, it's been a long journey to get to this point with plenty of ups and downs of course, but I'm working hard and I'm currently at the best place I've been at for a long time so hopefully I can keep progressing."

Fulham Supporters' Trust chair Simon Duke added:

"We are honoured and delighted to be able to support this award on an annual basis and it's a great honour for Matt because it's voted for by the people that work with him. The names on the trophy show how prestigious this award is and it will be really interesting to see how Matt develops at the club. Marco has shown a willingness to allow youngsters an opportunity. If they're good enough, they're old enough. We certainly saw that on the pre-season tour in America with how some of those players performed and it's further evidence of the excellent work our Academy does in developing young talent from an early age."

Fulham academy director Sean Cullen commended Dibley-Dias for both his progression as a footballer over the past year, but also the character the nineteen year-old has shown to put injury setbacks behind him. He said:

"This is a great achievement for Matt, and an acknowledgement of his excellent season last year. What makes this even more special is the resilience and determination he had to show, through a difficult period with injuries the year before. To then come back and play at the level he did last year, is testament to his character as much as his technical qualities."

You can read more about the Trust's support of Fulham's academy, the Johnny Haynes Trophy and the previous winners here.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2023/09/dibley-dias-wins-johnny-haynes-trophy/

WhiteJC

Phil Foden and Manuel Akanji to return, new signings on the bench – Predicted XI: Manchester City vs Fulham (Premier League)

The reigning Premier League champions host Fulham at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon as Manchester City look to maintain their 100 per cent start.

City are looking to follow up from their late win at Bramall Lane last weekend by claiming another three points before the upcoming international break – the first pause for international competitions so far this season.

It has been a flawless start for the treble-winners, acclaiming victory in all four matches this season, as they look to earn a fifth consecutive win, regaining their place at the summit of the Premier League table prior to the imminent hiatus.

Both clubs were active on deadline day; with Fulham strengthening their squad following the arrival of Alex Iwobi from Everton, while Manchester City announced the signing of Matheus Nunes from Wolves.

The arrival of Nunes left a question as to whether the midfielder would be involved on Saturday, however Manchester City assistant manager Juanma Lillo revealed the 25-year-old didn't train with the first-team ahead of this weekend.

The Sky Blues did receive a boost to their squad however, with Lillo confirming the return of Manuel Akanji and Phil Foden.

While there are question marks around the possibility of seeing Nunes feature on Saturday, there's no uncertainty regarding Jeremy Doku, who looks set to make his debut at the Etihad Stadium following the Belgian's arrival from Stade Rennais.

After not featuring against Sheffield United, the right-winger may get his first minutes at the Etihad Stadium against Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

With that being said, here is the Manchester City side we predict to start against Fulham!

Predicted XI:
Ederson will keep his place between the sticks.

Kyle Walker crucially amended his error against Sheffield United with a determined piece of play, and we expect him to retain his place within the side.

Ruben Dias has been an integral part of the early success this season, putting his body on the line at a vital moment last Sunday. We expect the Portugal international to partner the returning Manuel Akanji in defence for the Blues.

We also expect Josko Gvardiol to continue his run of starts and keep his place in the side.

Rodrigo was the match-winner at Bramall Lane, and so we expect him to retain his position and start on Saturday.

Mateo Kovacic had another impressive display before being replaced by Phil Foden, but we predict the pair will start together against Fulham, completing the midfield.

Bernardo Silva made his first start since extending his City contract last Sunday, and we expect him to start on the right of attack – before we see an outing for new signing Jeremy Doku.

It was a mixed afternoon for Erling Haaland, who was left frustrated before he got his goal at Bramall Lane, but we look set to see the newly-crowned UEFA Men's Player of the Year start again and hopefully build on his goal tally.

Jack Grealish provided the assist for Haaland's opener against Sheffield United, and we expect Grealish to keep his starting place, completing the line-up for Saturday's match!

Predicted XI: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Akanji, Gvardiol; Rodrigo, Kovacic, Foden; Bernardo, Haaland, Grealish.

Substitutes: Ortega, Lewis, Ake, Gomez, Phillips, Nunes, Bobb, Doku, Alvarez.

https://cityxtra.co.uk/5969/phil-foden-and-manuel-akanji-to-return-predicted-xi-manchester-city-vs-fulham-premier-league/

Shredhead

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 01, 1970, 05:42:16 AMThe Cottagers raided Wolves over the summer, taking Raul Jimenez and Adam Traore to Craven Cottage and goalkeeper Steven Benda arrived from Fulham.

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2023/9/1/23855395/manchester-city-v-fulham-the-opposition
Great reporting.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

WhiteJC

Predictions v Fulham

With VERY little time due to other commitments, it's straight to it. I very-nearly didn't get the chance to do a pre-match piece at all until I then woke up at 'stupid O'clock' this morning.

I intend to get a blog-posting out tomorrow too, looking at all of our summer incoming & outgoing players & prices etc.

v Fulham
Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:

(Number correct from the starting line-up in the last game: 9/11).

A very fluid 4-1-4-1 / 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3:

____________________Haaland____________________

Grealish___________________________________Silva

_____________________________Foden____________

___________Kovacic_____________________________

_____________________Rodri_____________________

Gvardiol__________________________________Walker

____________Ake________________Dias____________

____________________Ederson____________________

Subs: Ortega, Gomez, Lewis, Akanji, Phillips, Nunes, Bobb, Doku, Alvarez.

Ederson is 'between the sticks'.

With one defender still out and another just coming back from a brief illness, I think we'll see a back 4 of Josko, Nathan, Ruben & Kyle, as per our last game. In fact, I think we'll only see one change from our last outing...

Rodders to position himself the deepest of our midfielders, apart from when he might fancy another pop at our opponent's goal, of course; Jack, Mateo, Phil & Barnardo provide more of the creative, attacking threat ahead of the Spaniard.

Erling to 'go again' up front.

There's a bit of a doubt about who might make the bench but here goes...

Stefen is a cert to be our back-up stopper; likewise Sergio & Rico as defensive replacement options. Manuel has now recovered from his gastric issues and so, I'm guessing, will be strong enough for a place on the bench as opposed to being a starter. Kalvin, possibly latest signing, Matheus, but doubtful, Oscar & recent-signing, Jeremy make up the midfielders / wingers on the side, while Julian steps back, I recon, as a striker replacement option for this one.

http://blue-chews-daze.blogspot.com/2023/09/predictions-v-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Sources: Alex Iwobi agrees Fulham move after rejecting 'huge' Everton offer
Alex Iwobi agreed a last-gasp move to Fulham after rejecting multiple new contract offers from Everton, sources have told Football Insider.

The Cottagers announced the capture of the midfielder, 27, in the early hours of Saturday (2 September) – after the window had formally shut.

It is believed Fulham and Everton agreed a fee of around £22million for Iwobi.

Ultimately, the Merseysiders were forced to cash in on the former Arsenal star as he had entered the last year of his contract and had turned down multiple offers to extend his deal.

Everton were close to an agreement with the star earlier in the window and was offered what is said by sources to have been a "huge" offer to extend.

But Iwobi eventually knocked that back and instead chose to return to London in the closing stages of the window.

Everton also let Jean-Philippe Gbamin, Neal Maupay and Tom Cannon depart the club on Friday (1 September).

Iwobi started in the Toffees' first two games of the season but has missed the last two outings with a hamstring injury.

He notched two goals and nine assists in 41 appearances across all competitions for the Goodison Park club last season as Sean Dyche's side survived relegation.

The ex-Arsenal star, who joined Everton in 2019, can play on both flanks and even as a central midfielder.

Fulham also added the likes of Calvin Bassey, Timothy Castagne, Raul Jimenez and Adama Traore in the summer window.

Marco Silva's side also managed to keep Joao Palhinha at the club despite late interest from Bayern Munich.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-alex-iwobi-agrees-fulham-move-after-rejecting-huge-everton-offer/

WhiteJC

Official: Fulham confirm signing of AC Milan outcast Ballo-Toure on loan
Fulham have announced the signing of Fode Ballo-Toure on a season-long loan, having completed the paperwork late last night. In the end, it was the best move available for all of the parties.

AC Milan had been in talks with Fulham during the summer over a permanent deal and they even had an agreement in principle. However, Ballo-Toure rejected the destination up until yesterday, which prompted the loan switch.

On their website, Fulham have confirmed the signing of the Senegalese international: "The Club is delighted to confirm the arrival of Fodé Ballo-Touré from AC Milan. A 26-year-old left-back, Ballo-Touré has signed on loan for the remainder of the 2023/24 season," the statement read.

The English side are expected to cover the player's entire salary (only €1m per season net) and this will save Milan some money for the current season. It remains to be seen if a permanent deal will be worked out with Fulham after the loan, but the player is not expected to return to San Siro.

Milan have decided to rely on Alessandro Florenzi and the youngster Davide Bartesaghi as backups for the left-back role this season, hence why they didn't bring in a left-back.

Milan have now also confirmed the exit on their website.

https://sempremilan.com/official-fulham-signing-milan-ballo-toure-loan

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Alex Iwobi from Everton late on deadline day in deal worth up to £22million... as Nigeria international reveals why he is 'buzzing' to be reunited with former boss Marco Silva

Alex Iwobi signed for Fulham in deal worth £22m late on deadline day
    The Nigeria international played 123 Premier League games for Everton
    Fulham complete the signing despite keeping Joao Palhinha at the club

Alex Iwobi will be reunited with Marco Silva at Craven Cottage after Fulham completed the signing of the Everton midfielder in a deal which could be worth £22million.

The Nigeria international signed a five-year deal with the Cottagers and said Silva had been instrumental in convincing him to move back to London.

'I'm buzzing, I just can't wait to get started, I'm excited to start my journey here,' he told Fulham's official website.

Alex Iwobi will be reunited with Marco Silva at Craven Cottage after Fulham completed the signing of the Everton midfielder in a deal which could be worth £22million.

The Nigeria international signed a five-year deal with the Cottagers and said Silva had been instrumental in convincing him to move back to London.

'I'm buzzing, I just can't wait to get started, I'm excited to start my journey here,' he told Fulham's official website.

'Marco Silva spoke to me about the ambitions of the Club, and I'm on board. Hopefully I can bring something to the Club.'

Silva brought Iwobi to Everton from Arsenal in the summer of 2019, but the Portuguese was dismissed three months later with the Toffees 18th on the table.

Alex Iwobi has signed for Fulham from Everton in a £22m deal late on deadline day

In four seasons at the club, Iwobi made 123 Premier League appearances for Everton, scoring six times. He was named Players' Player of the Season and was one of the Toffees' best players as Everton narrowly avoided relegation.

The 27-year-old played the whole 90 minutes as Everton lost 1-0 at home to Fulham on the opening day of the Premier League season.

But he picked up a hamstring injury in Everton's 4-0 loss against Aston Villa and missed his former club's 1-0 defeat at home to Wolves last week.   

The Nigeria international arrived at Craven Cottage, despite Joao Palhinha's move to Bayern Munich collapsing earlier on deadlined day.

The German club put in an initial offer of £47m, though this was subsequently rejected by the London club - who priced him at £90m initially.

The move fell through as the London club were unable to find a replacement in time - not helped by the German window closing earlier than the English one.

Fulham wanted to keep Palhinha, though the player was ready to leave. Bayern made a bid which would 'easily' have smashed Fulham's transfer record - up to £70m.

The Cottagers also completed a loan deal for AC Milan and Senegal left-back Fode Ballo-Toure.

The Nigeria international will be reunited with Marco Silva, who signed him at Everton

Iwobi has penned a five-year deal with the Cottages after signing late on Friday

The Nigeria international made 123 Premier League appearances for Everton, scoring six times

The 26-year-old managed just 26 appearances in all competitions for the Serie A giants in the past two seasons after joining from Monaco.

Meanwhile, Everton also parted ways with Tom Cannon on Friday, with the striker joining Leicester City for an undisclosed fee.

Cannon first joined the Toffees' academy aged 10 and made his senior team debut against Bournemouth in November last year, before spending the second half of last season on loan in the Championship at Preston North End where he scored eight goals in 21 appearances.

'Everyone at Everton wishes Tom all the best for the future,' the club said in a statement.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12472889/Fulham-Alex-Iwobi-Everton-deadline-day-Marco-Silva.html

WhiteJC

Up next: Manchester City (a)
After emerging unbeaten from a week that saw his side take on Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur and somehow securing the services of João Palhinha for another at least another four months, Marco Silva's attention turns to the dauting prospect of travelling to Manchester to take on the league leaders, who look as devastating as they did when winning the treble last term. Fulham pushed Pep Guardiola's side all the way in both fixtures last term – and the stoppage-time defeat at the Etihad Stadium, courtesy of a contentious penalty earned by Kevin de Bruyne, still stings.

A brooding Silva will almost certainly be dismayed that his playing squad wasn't strengthened by significant additions on transfer deadline day. He has been reunited with Alex Iwobi, whom he signed from Arsenal when he was in charge of Everton, whilst a last-gasp loan deal for AC Milan left back Fodé Ballo-Touré also went through but Fulham failed to replace Aleksandar Mitrovic despite having more than three weeks to sign another striker after the Serbian number nine departed for Saudi Arabia in acrimonious circumstances.

The collapse of Palhinha's proposed move to Bayern Munich might have caused an outbreak of joy amongst the Fulham fanbase yesterday evening, but any joy was shortlived. Silva and his coaching staff will now have to reintegrate the Premier League's tenacious tackler, who will be perturbed by the failure of his big-money move, into his first-team squad but they are entitled to feel underwhelmed at Fulham hierarchy's floundering which has left London's oldest professional club unable to build on their best season in fifteen years.

Silva will send his charges out to take on City safe in the knowledge that getting a result is a ridiculously tall order. They can draw heart from two terrific displays in the past seven days. Fulham somehow eeked out a draw at the Emirates last weekend despite being 2-1 – and a man – down with three minutes to play. They did produced their best football of a tricky start to the season in the draw against Spurs on Tuesday night before triumphing on penalties, something that must be celebrated given the Whites' woeful record from twelve yards. But Silva is not someone for resting his laurels, as we have already seen. He will want his team to prove their Premier League credentials against this afternoon.

The task is made harder by a series of injury concerns in central midfield – combined by that failure to get bodies in. Sasa Lukic, who put in probably his finest performance in a Fulham shirt against the Gunners, is out whilst Tom Cairney will need a late fitness test on the knee problem that he picked up against Spurs and it is remains to be seen whether Palhinha is in the right frame of mind to face the champions. His old mentor might have no chance but to play him only hours after he was filming an announcement video at the Allianz Arena. Brazilian winger Willian is also ruled out with a thigh complaint.

Silva does at least have both Tim Ream and Calvin Bassey available again after their recent red cards and it will be straight choice between the pair as to who partners Issa Diop, who was immense at Arsenal. The Whites have held onto Tosin Adarabioyo after the former Manchester City defender's move to Monaco also fell through on deadline day, whilst Timothy Castagne is also available having signed too late to make his debut against Spurs on Tuesday.

The Whites will need to be at their very best to record their first win over City in twenty attempts since a brace from Clint Dempsey and a superb strike from Dickson Etuhu secured a stunning success for Roy Hodgson's side at Eastlands in 2009. The hosts, looking equal their own English league record for their most wins against a domestic (currently fifteen against Watford, if you were wondering), could welcome Phil Foden back to the starting line-up after the England playmaker shrugged off sickness to set up the winner at Sheffield United as a second half substitute. John Stones and Manuel Akanji are available again, but Guardiola himself will again be absent as he recovers from back surgery with touchline duties in the hands of his loyal lieutenant Juanma Lillo.

MY FULHAM XI (4-2-3-1): Leno; Tete, A. Robinson, Diop, Ream; Reed, Palhinha; Traore, Decordova-Reid, Pereira; Jimenez. Subs: Rodak, Bassey, Castagne, Francois, Cairney, Harris, Wilson, Vinicius, Muniz.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/09/up-next-manchester-city-a-4/

WhiteJC

Monaco ready to wait a year to sign Man City-trained Super Eagles prospect for free
The anticipated transfer of Tosin Adarabioyo from Fulham to AS Monaco has been cancelled, Soccernet.ng reports.

However, despite this setback, AS Monaco remain determined to secure Adarabioyo's services, albeit with a twist – they plan to sign him for free next summer. [via ASMFC]

Tottenham and Monaco had emerged as the top contenders vying for the signature of the Manchester City-trained defender.

Fulham were inclined towards negotiating with Tottenham, who were willing to meet their financial demands. However, the player himself had his sights set on joining Monaco.

After days of negotiations, Fulham had finally opened the door to the departure of the talented defender. This development buoyed AS Monaco's hopes of striking a deal.

However, the crux of the matter remained unchanged – Fulham did not budge from their €15 million valuation of Adarabioyo. This figure proved to be a stumbling block for his move to Ligue 1.

As a result, Adarabioyo will continue to wear Fulham's colors. However, with only one year left on his contract, Les Monegasques are plotting a strategic move. They aim to secure the player's services on a free transfer next summer, capitalising on his contract situation.

For Adarabioyo, staying put at Fulham means that he will now focus on earning a spot in manager Marco Silva's plans. He faces stiff competition, notably from Nigerian defender Calvin Bassey, who recently joined from Ajax, for one of the two coveted center-back positions.

Notably, Fulham have strengthened their midfield by acquiring dynamic Super Eagles playmaker Alex Iwobi just before the transfer deadline.

Iwobi and Bassey could play pivotal roles in influencing Adarabioyo's international allegiance. Although the England-born defender has shown inclinations towards representing Nigeria, he has yet to announce his decision formally.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/09/monaco-ready-to-wait-a-year-to-sign-man-city-trained-super-eagles-prospect-for-free.html

WhiteJC

Report: Palhinha Deal Falls Through As Bayern Fans Rage
The Paradox of Choice: Fulham, Joao Palhinha, and the Deal That Never Was

The Intricacies of a Deadline Day Drama
Even for a seasoned football aficionado, the deadline-day theatre eclipses the realms of believability. The case of Joao Palhinha serves as a masterclass in the anatomy of a transfer that stumbled on the finish line. The Portuguese midfield maestro, so close to kissing the Bavarian turf at the Allianz Arena, now finds himself back in the bosom of the Thames-side outfit Fulham.

Palhinha was all but ready to put pen to paper. He had "spent much of Friday in Munich undergoing a medical and was even spotted wandering around the club's training ground with a home shirt in hand ready to take pictures for his unveiling," according to 90min. Yet, the deal never materialised.

Why Fulham Pulled the Plug: The Replacement Conundrum
It's not every day a club halts a player's transfer after he's had a medical with a footballing giant like Bayern Munich. But, for Fulham, the impediment lay not in letting go, but in the impending emptiness that would follow. They'd cast their eyes on potential replacements like Tottenham's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Leicester City's Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall. Still, no deal could be struck in time.

Fulham were unable to line up a replacement, which meant that they were reluctant to sign off on Palhinha's exit and his move to Germany collapsed at the last minute, as reported by 90min. As a result, Palhinha will be resuming his duties in the heart of Fulham's midfield, albeit with a tinge of 'what might have been'.

Fan Frustration: An Indelible Stain on Fulham's Reputation?
Naturally, the contingent of Bayern fans has voiced their vexation. One passionate supporter didn't hold back, stating that they would keep an eye on the Londoners' results and hoped that they got relegated. As the team strives to progress, the story of a deal almost done could potentially reverberate in the stands of Craven Cottage and beyond.

Ryan Gravenberch's Move to Liverpool: Bayern's Consolation Prize
Despite the unfulfilled saga around Palhinha, Bayern did not leave the transfer window entirely empty-handed. They were happy to let Ryan Gravenberch move on to Liverpool, suggesting that their transfer strategy, while not infallible, have alternatives in place.

The Road Ahead: Where Does Fulham Go From Here?
For Fulham, the non-transfer of Joao Palhinha may feel like both a victory and a defeat. While they retain a proven asset, there are questions over morale and commitment that need to be addressed. As for Palhinha himself, he's got a career to refocus on, a fan base to win over again, and above all, a point to prove. The deadline-day drama may have subsided, but its aftermath will undoubtedly reverberate through the remainder of the season.

https://eplindex.com/95855/report-palhinha-deal-falls-through-as-bayern-fans-rage.html

WhiteJC

Ligue 1 Star Rejected Idea Of Deadline Day Fulham Move
Fulham's last-gasp effort to lure away Lyon midfielder Maxence Caqueret was rebuffed by the player himself on deadline day, it has been claimed in France.

Cottagers boss Marco Silva was keen on making room for a holding midfielder in the dying hours of deadline day, with Joao Palhinha poised to join Bayern Munich.

And Caqueret who can play both as a central and defensive midfielder on the pitch, fitted the bill at Craven Cottage.

The London outfit did make an offer for the Lyon star on deadline day, which was an important one financially.

However, according to French sports daily L'Equipe, the player himself gave the cold shoulder to the offer made by Silva's side.

Caqueret, 23, is a midfield mainstay for Lyon this season and he has already featured in three Ligue 1 games for the French giants.

He has still four years remaining on his contract with the Ligue 1 side and could see his suitors lining up for him in the January transfer window.

Fulham's failure to sign a defensive midfielder saw the plug pulled on Bayern Munich's swoop for Palhinha.

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/09/02/ligue-1-star-rejected-idea-of-deadline-day-fulham-move/619302/

WhiteJC

Alex Iwobi signs for Fulham in £22m deal
Alex Iwobi, the former Arsenal winger, has finalised a £22m move to Fulham.

The transfer will have repercussions for his current club Everton, and interestingly, for his former club, Arsenal, who stand to miss out on a sell-on fee.

Alex Iwobi is finalising a £22m move to Fulham, a move that impacts both Everton and Arsenal.
    Everton considered West Ham's Maxwel Cornet as a potential replacement for Iwobi but could not get a deal over the line.
    Arsenal will not benefit from a sell-on clause due to the reduced fee of the transfer.

Alex Iwobi, the 27-year-old Nigeria international, was not keen on extending his contract with Everton. This, coupled with Everton's lacklustre performance in the Premier League, made the winger's transfer almost inevitable.

Iwobi's move to Fulham suggests a step up the Premier League table. While Everton hovered around the relegation zone in the past seasons, Fulham have displayed promising signs since their promotion back to the Premier League.

Arsenal will not benefit from a sell-on clause due to the deal's structure.

Iwobi's transfer from Arsenal to Everton in 2019 was valued at about £28m plus £7m in add-ons, meaning that the Gunners sold him well above market value at the time.

The forward's stats tell a tale of consistent but not spectacular performance; during his time at Arsenal, he appeared in 149 games, scoring 15 goals and assisting 25 times.

At Everton, he has tallied 140 games, netting nine goals and contributing 16 assists.

Alex Iwobi on his move
Iwobi's transfer from Arsenal to Everton in 2019 was valued at about £28m plus £7m in add-ons, meaning that the Gunners sold him well above market value at the time.

The forward's stats tell a tale of consistent but not spectacular performance; during his time at Arsenal, he appeared in 149 games, scoring 15 goals and assisting 25 times.

At Everton, he has tallied 140 games, netting nine goals and contributing 16 assists.
Alex Iwobi on his move

https://dailycannon.com/2023/09/alex-iwobi-fulham-transfer-22m-deal/

WhiteJC

Alex Iwobi 'buzzing' to ditch Everton for Fulham as BBC man reveals why Toffees were 'forced into sale'
Alex Iwobi has spoken of his delight after departing Everton for Fulham in a deal that just about beat the transfer deadline in a move that will cost the Cottagers a fee of £22m.

The Nigerian winger departs Goodison Park after four years on Merseyside, returning to his London routes after coming through the academy at Arsenal. He made 140 appearances for the Toffees, scoring nine times.

A regular in their side, his exit was one of four deadline day exits for Everton, with Neal Maupay returning to Brentford and Jean-Philippe Gbamin having his contract terminated by mutual consent. Tom Cannon also signed for Leicester for an undisclosed fee.

Unfortunately for the Toffees, they did not manage a new arrival of their own on transfer deadline day. However, Everton can be fairly satisfied given the much-needed capture of Beto from Udinese earlier in the week, with the Portuguese striker already looking an impressive addition.

Iwobi's exit sees Everton securing a fee that could be worth up to £22m. The 27-year-old has signed a five-year deal at Craven Cottage and he admits he is delighted to be reunited with manager Marco Silva.

"I'm buzzing, I just can't wait to get started, I'm excited to start my journey here," he told Fulham's official website.

"Marco Silva spoke to me about the ambitions of the club, and I'm on board. Hopefully I can bring something to the Club."

Iwobi did not sign in time to make his debut in Saturday's trip to face European champions Manchester City. However, he could debut if he recovers from his current hamstring injury when the Cottagers return to action after the international break when they host Luton.

Everton backed into a corner over Alex Iwobi sale
Everton had been keen to sign a new winger this summer with a prolonged pursuit of Willy Gnonto from Leeds ultimately counting for nothing.

The Toffees did manage to bring in Jack Harrison, though, from the Whites. The loss of Iwobi, however, on deadline day – the winger was one of their best players last season in their successful fight against relegation – leaves Sean Dyche with another hole in his squad.

However, BBC Sport's Phil McNulty says Everton were left with no option but to cash in on the 63-times capped Nigeria forward.

He has revealed that, with Everton "strapped for cash" they were backed into the sale of the player once it became apparent he "won't sign a new contract" at Goodison Park. And with just 10 months left on that deal, the Toffees will relatively happy to have received the £22m offer from Fulham.

Furthermore, once Silva came calling, McNulty reports that Iwobi made it clear to Everton bosses that he wanted to make the move back to London and sign for a side who finished a progressive 10th in their first season back in the Premier League last season.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/alex-iwobi-buzzing-ditch-everton-for-fulham-bbc-man-reveals-why-toffees-forced-into-sale

WhiteJC

Official: Ballo-Touré leaves Milan and joins Fulham on a one-year loan deal
Fodé Ballo-Touré will play in the Premier League next season, but Fulham don't have an option to buy.

Ballo-Touré knew at the start of the summer that he was no longer part of the plans of Stefano Pioli, but Milan struggled to find a new place for him as the offers that arrived were insufficient.

However, the transfer deadline day proved useful and in the very last moments of it, Milan and Fulham reached an agreement over the left-back.

Milan has announced the transfer of Fodé Ballo-Touré to Fulham FC, on loan until 30 June 2024. The Rossoneri wish Fodé the best for next season," a statement reads.

The Senegal international has a contract with Milan until 2025.

https://www.rossoneriblog.com/2023/09/02/official-ballo-toure-leaves-milan-and-joins-fulham-on-a-one-year-loan-deal/

WhiteJC

Mohamed Al Fayed: Tributes paid to former owner of Harrods and Fulham FC

Former Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed has been described as "an extraordinary tour de force" after his death at the age of 94.

Mr Al Fayed, who was owner and chairman of Fulham Football Club for 16 years, died on Wednesday. His family announced on Friday he had "passed away peacefully of old age".

Paying tribute, journalist and presenter Piers Morgan said the Egyptian-born businessman had struggled to come to terms with the death of his son Dodi in the car crash which also killed Diana, Princess of Wales in Paris in August 1997.

Writing on X, formerly known as Twitter, Mr Morgan said: "An extraordinary tour de force of a man who never got over the death of his beloved son Dodi in the crash that also killed Diana.

"Mohamed wasn't everyone's cup of tea and he was a flawed, complex character, but I liked him."

Shahid Khan, who took over as owner of Fulham in 2013 after a spell which had seen the club rise to the Premier League and reach the Europa League final, paid his condolences in a statement on the club's website.

He said: "The story of Fulham cannot be told without a chapter on the positive impact of Mr Al Fayed as chairman.

"I always enjoyed my time with Mr Al Fayed, who was wise, colourful and committed to Fulham, and I am forever grateful for his trust in me to succeed him as chairman.

"I join our supporters around the world in celebrating the memory of Mohamed Al Fayed, whose legacy will always be at the heart of our tradition at Fulham Football Club."

The family statement said Mr Al Fayed "enjoyed a long and fulfilled retirement surrounded by his loved ones".

According to Sky News, a funeral was held after Friday prayers at London Central Mosque in Regent's Park.

Mr Al Fayed, who was portrayed by Salim Daw in the fifth series of The Crown, repeatedly claimed his son and the late princess were murdered in a plot by the British establishment.

Born in Alexandria in Egypt, he came to London in the 1960s taking control of Harrods in 1985 – which he sold to Qatar's royal family for a reported £1.5 billion in 2010 – having purchased the Ritz hotel in Paris in 1979.

He made his first application for British citizenship in 1993 and in 1999, weeks after his brother Ali was granted British citizenship, but was declared unfit to hold a British passport by then-home secretary Jack Straw.

Mr Al Fayed appealed against the decision and Lords Justice Nourse, Kennedy and Rix dismissed Mr Al Fayed's appeal that Mr Straw had been biased when he refused the citizenship application.

He had previously been rejected in 1993 by former home office minister Charles Wardle who joined the Harrods board of directors in 2000, a move which came as a surprise to some.

The Sunday Times Rich List from 2021 reported that Mohamed Al-Fayed and family were worth around £1.7 billion.

Hannah Roberts and Rob Freeman – PA

https://www.cityam.com/mohamed-al-fayed-tributes-paid-to-former-owner-of-harrods-and-fulham-fc/

WhiteJC

Manchester City v Fulham: Head to Head
The Stats Ahead of the Big Weekend Match

Manchester City welcome Fulham to the Etihad Stadium as they attempt to go into the international break with a 100% Premier League record. Victory against the Cottagers will see the blues take maximum points from their first four games and leave them flying high at the top of the table.

Fulham will be looking for their second win of the season and, in doing so, will break the blues stranglehold over the visitors, as the stats will now show.

City's Impressive Hold Over Fulham
The blues are unbeaten in 12 home matches against Fulham and have won the last nine. During that impressive run, the blues have scored 27 goals and conceded just two. Worryingly for blues fans, the two conceded have come in their last two matches.

In the Premier League era, City have lost just three of their 21 matches, including two successive losses in 2008 (2-3) and 2009 (1-3). Prior to the Premier League, the two met 17 times, with the blues winning 11 to Fulham's 3. There have only been seven draws in total in Manchester, the last coming in February 2011.

Usually Goals in This Fixture
City have hit 27 goals in the last 12 matches, however, the blues have scored many more since their first meeting in 1908. The blues have scored 93 while conceding 39. During that time, City have kept 15 clean sheets to Fulham's 2. The last time Fulham stopped City from scoring was March 2004, while the only other time was September 1983 - both were goalless draws.

City have hit at least four goals in this fixture on seven occasions, twice hitting five goals. Fulham have hit five past City just once - a 5-3 win in October 1938. In three out of Fulham's six wins, they have hit three goals, twice winning 3-2.

September Blues For Fulham
The two have met six times in September, with City winning four, losing one and drawing one.

They have met once on 2nd September and the omens are good for the blues - they won 3-1 at Maine Road in 1959.

How will the blues fair on Saturday?

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2023/9/2/23856077/manchester-city-v-fulham-head-to-head

WhiteJC

Manchester City v Fulham - Gut Feelings
How Our Team See Saturday's Match

Well, the dreaded international break has come around quickly, and the blues must let most of their team go for these pointless matches. I do remember a time when footballers would play a match on Saturday, play for England in midweek, then turn out for their club the following Saturday. Admittedly, England won nothing btu since the international break came along, we've still won nothing!

Anyway, rant over, sorry, back to the Fulham match. The blues have held the upper hand over the Cottagers and are unbeaten in the last 12 at home. You can read the full stats on this fixture here.

Will they make it 13? Our team seem to think so. Here's their gut feelings and predictions for today.

Saul
Fun match vs a good side. City should be all near fitness and so I see a clean win at home. 2-0.

City 2-0 Fulham

Thomas
In their last 12 visits to the Etihad, Fulham have no wins and two draws. City have beaten the Cottagers in each of the last 14 meetings across all competitions. That is to say, there is a clear trend between the two clubs. I fully expect that trend to continue. City have yet to drop a point and I don't see that happening in this match. Phil Foden is restored to the starting line-up and Alvarez and Harland get a goal-a-piece. City win 2-0.

City 2-0 Fulham

Dillon
Fulham have clearly shown to be decent side so far this season. Their lone loss came to Brentford after an iffy red put them down to 10 men. Other than that it's been solid performances against Everton, Arsenal and Spurs. I wouldn't even classify this as a "banana-slip" game because Fulham have clearly shown their ability so far this season.

All that being said, City have no excuse to not walk away with three points and stay top of the table heading into the break. Little worried about Fulham just packing it in away from Craven Cottage, and Pep still being sidelined, but it'll be a good test. Manchester City 2-0 Fulham.

City 2-0 Fulham

Pete
Fulham have been given a boost with Joao Palhina's move to Bayern Munich collapsing on transfer deadline day. The Portuguese midfielder scored in the 2-2 draw at Arsenal last week and Fulham fans will be delighted he has stayed at the club. The Cottagers gave us a bit of a scare last season and, while they're a decent side, I think City may have too much for them. Jeremy Doku may make his home debut and this might be a good match for him to show what he can do. I don't think it will be a thrashing, but I'm predicting City will win comfortably.

City 3-0 Fulham

How Did We Do Last Time?
Last week, we all got the result right but, once again, we proved that, football seers, we are not! Saul came closest with a 2-0 prediction and none of our team expected United to score. Pete's prediction of 5-0 fell hopelessly short and he won't be doing that again.

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2023/9/2/23856498/manchester-city-v-fulham-gut-feelings

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Marco Silva admits it is 'difficult to have control' in the transfer market after selling Aleksandar Mitrovic to Saudi Arabia and nearly losing Joao Palhinha to Bayern Munich on deadline day

Marco Silva says the 'competitive' transfer market is difficult to control
    Joao Palhinha remained at Fulham but Aleksandar Mitrovic joined Al-Hilal
    Fulham completed the late signings of Alex Iwobi and Fode Ballo-Toure

Marco Silva admitted it is impossible for a club like Fulham to feel in control in the transfer market once better-resourced clubs start to show interest in their players.

The manager lost last season's top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic to Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal last month, and the final days of the transfer window were dominated by Bayern Munich's pursuit of midfielder Joao Palhinha.

The Bundesliga champions' move for the 28-year-old collapsed on Friday afternoon, owing to Fulham's determination not to lose the player so late in the window despite a significant offer from Bayern.

It has complicated Silva's preparations for the his side's trip to the Etihad to face Manchester City on Saturday, with Palhinha's availability for the game still mired in uncertainty.

The club signed Alex Iwobi from Everton, a player that Silva previously bought when he was the manager at Goodison Park, and picked up Fode Ballo-Toure on loan from Monaco, but the Portuguese boss conceded that doing business this late in the window was far from ideal.

Fulham manager Marco Silva has said it is difficult to have control of transfer market following a hectic deadline day at Craven Cottage

Midfielder Joao Palhinha will remain a Fulham player after a late move to Bayern Munich collapsed

'We knew as a club, all the clubs, knew [the deadline] is [Friday] at 11,' said Silva. 'Everyone knew that. It's up to us to do things early or not, to have control of the situation, even if football is so competitive, the market is so competitive that sometimes it's difficult to have everything under control.'

Of Iwobi's development during the years since the pair last worked together, he added: 'I believe that a player after four or five seasons with more game time, more mature and all that stuff, playing in a club with big pressure every single week should be better, yes.'

It took a penalty from Erling Haaland in the fifth minute of stoppage time for City to defeat Fulham in last season's meeting at the Etihad, that after Andreas Pereira's spot-kick had cancelled out Julian Alvarez's early goal.

And it was a similarly close affair in the reverse meeting at Craven Cottage in April, Haaland and Alvarez again on the scoresheet in another 2-1 win for the champions.

Despite the difficulty in competing with the likes of City in the transfer market, Silva believes his team can still be a match for the European champions over 90 minutes.

'To compete with them in one game or two games is possible,' he said. 'I think last season we were competitive in both games with them.

'We lost by the details. They desired probably to get the points they got. But I think it the results had been different no one would have been really surprised.

Silva re-united with Alex Iwobi after signing the Nigerian midfielder from former club Everton for £22million

Fulham were narrowly beaten 2-1 by Treble winners Manchester City at the end of last season

'If they are the champions it is for one reason. If they keep doing good things it's because they are a really strong side. But we are going to try to be competitive again.'

Silva also backed his compatriot Matheus Nunes, who agreed to join Pep Guardiola's side from Wolves for £53million this week, to shine in the blue of City.

'Nunes will be a very good addition for them, because he's a young player with quality. He already showed that in the Premier League.

'In my opinion he's going to show, it was just the first season in the league for him. (Now) he's more adapted, growing as a player. He's going to show even more his quality.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12473081/Marco-Silva-transfer-market-Fulham-Joao-Palhinha-Bayern-Munich-deadline-day.html

WhiteJC

REST IN PEACE, MOHAMED AL-FAYED: 1929-2023
The Fulham Supporters' Trust wish to offer our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of former Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed, who sadly passed away yesterday aged 96.

Mr. Al-Fayed's impact on London's oldest professional club was seismic from the very day his takeover of the club was announced following Fulham's promotion from 1997. He announced a five-year plan to take the club to the promised land of the Premiership – and, though many scoffed, he achieved his dream a year ahead of time. His investment revolutionised the club from top to bottom and also supported Britain's first professional female football side after a visit to the Women's World Cup in 1999.

His tenure contained countless memories from the run to the 1999 FA Cup fifth round that saw a Second Division side surprise top flight opposition in Southampton and Aston Villa, to the fabulous football that saw Jean Tigana's side storm to the First Division title and thirteen consecutive years in the Premier League that included that remarkable run to the Europa League final in 2010. We are also immensely grateful that Mr. Al-Fayed reversed course and secured Fulham's long-term future at Craven Cottage having listened to our Back to the Cottage campaign.

Every Fulham fan will be forever grateful for the investment of Mr. Al-Fayed and his family as well as the special bond he formed with the Fulham family. Our thoughts are with his children Camila, Omar, Jasmine and Karim and the rest of the Al-Fayed family at this desperately sad time. We look forward to honouring his contribution to our club's illustrious history during this afternoon's fixture at Manchester City and in the weeks to come.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2023/09/rest-in-peace-mohamed-al-fayed-1929-2023/

WhiteJC

Drama on deadline day: The real reason Tosin's proposed move to Monaco fell through
Contrary to reports, allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that Tosin Adarabioyo's proposed move to Monaco falling through on deadline day had nothing to do with the French Ligue 1 club not meeting his valuation. 

Tosin was linked with possible moves to the Principality club as well as Tottenham Hotspur but the central defender favored a switch to France over remaining in the Premier League and even acquired a Nigerian passport to smooth things out.

This website can report with certainty that Tosin couldn't complete his transfer to Monaco in the end because the Cottagers didn't have a replacement lined up for him, so they pulled the plug on the deal.

Monaco made a final offer of €12 million for Tosin plus three million euros in performance-related add-ons but there was no reaction at all from Fulham on Friday as they didn't have a replacement for the Nigerian.

The Manchester City academy product was training away from the Fulham first team ahead of a potential departure from Craven Cottage.

It is envisaged that Tosin will be reintegrated into Fulham's first team set-up after his failed move to Monaco.

Of the four games played by the Cottagers in the new season, manager Marco Silva has named him in only one matchday squad, bringing him on in the 89th minute to shore up the defence in the impressive 2-2 draw at Arsenal last weekend.

Tosin started 27 games from a possible 44 in all competitions during the 2022-2023 season.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48672