watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alex Iwobi Joins!

Started by ChesterTheTabby, September 02, 2023, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

I'll just say it - I love this signing, he scared me when we played them - his huge sprints - like Traore. The two of them are fast tanks. Welcome my son!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

WhiteJC

Iwobi Joins Fulham

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of Alex Iwobi from Everton for an undisclosed fee.

Iwobi has agreed a contract until the summer of 2028.

Speaking to FFCtv, the 27-year-old said: "I'm buzzing, I just can't wait to get started, I'm excited to start my journey here.

"Marco Silva spoke to me about the ambitions of the Club, and I'm on board. Hopefully I can bring something to the Club."

Tony Khan added: "I'm happy to welcome Alex Iwobi to Fulham! He's an exciting and versatile player whom we've admired for some time.

"He has experience in the Premier League and in international competition with Nigeria. We're excited that Alex has joined us on a long term contract, and we believe that he'll make a valuable contribution to Marco's squad!

"Come on Fulham!"

Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Iwobi moved to England at a young age, and was picked up by Arsenal as a six-year-old.

After moving up through the age groups, Iwobi was handed a first team debut in the League Cup by Arsene Wenger at the beginning of the 2015/16 season, with a Premier League bow following four days later in a 3-0 win at Swansea City.

The teenage Iwobi remained in the senior setup from thereon in, making 21 appearances across all competitions – including in the Champions League – and registering four goal involvements (2G, 2A) in his first three Premier League starts, as the Gunners finished as runners-up.

The next year was another productive one for player and club as they won the FA Cup, while in 2017/18 they reached the League Cup Final and Europa League Semi-Finals.

Arsenal went one better the following season by making it all the way to the Europa League Final. Iwobi was on target in the showpiece event in Baku, but they ended up falling to defeat by London rivals Chelsea.

That was Iwobi's final appearance for the club, departing with a record of 15 goals and 25 assists in 149 appearances.

While in North London, Iwobi had built a reputation as an exciting, technically gifted player who can perform in a variety of attacking midfield roles, with his performances prompting Marco Silva to bring him to Everton in a deal worth £35m.

During a difficult few years for the Toffees, Iwobi's displays were one of the positives, particularly last season when his 10 goal involvements helped the club avoid relegation, and also saw him named Players' Player of the Season.

The nephew of Nigeria icon Jay-Jay Okocha, Iwobi made his debut for the Super Eagles in 2015, and featured in all three of their matches at the 2018 World Cup.

He now has 63 caps for his national side, and has scored 10 goals in that time.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/02/iwobi-joins-fulham/

RaySmith

Hurrah!
Welcome to FFC Alex.

This seems great signing.

AnOldBrownie

Welcome!

Come on Fulham!!

FYI...I don't know what to expect with this signing, but he's a White so I wish him all the best in the world.

Remember...Fulham signed Mitro when Newcastle didn't  want him. 

Hopefully Alex has a big impact with our club.

hovewhite

Alex welcome to the cottage. ::scarf::

SP

Very happy with this signing, I'm really surprised Everton have let him go, perhaps they need the money?

KJS

Very good signing always a handful when he's played against us an exciting player that carries a goal threat welcome to FFC

Lazybones

Jack Stroudley over at Fulhamish is not upbeat about this:

"I'm really struggling to get excited about this, £22m for a player with one-year left on his contract who hasn't really worked out his best position is bizarre to me. Marco Silva likes a versatile player but we could've signed Hudson-Odoi for £5m and Gustavo Hamer for £15m who are both better players and still had some money left over! Iwobi knows the Premier League and at 27 he is coming into his peak years and while I hope he proves me wrong; this feels like a massive panic buy."

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-09-01-in-profile-alex-iwobi/

Carborundum

In a window where all previous standards of transfer window nuttiness have been outdone, we've sensibly bought a player who has experience and pedigree, something left in his legs, good stats, usually plays well against us, is a known quantity to our gaffer and wants to return to London. 

If there's something to dislike about this transfer, it's eluded me.  But let's see how he goes and give him a warm welcome. 

SP

Never been on Fulhamish but I can't agree on any aspect of Jack's assessment.

Southcoastffc

Remember that Marco has worked with Iwobi in the past so is presumably well aware of what he can do.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

SerbianLad

FFC1987

Not sure in what world Hudson Odoi, is currently a better player than Iwobi. Shows a distinct lack of football knowledge if you compare the stats. His ceiling might be higher but it's hard to see. £22m is also the ceiling payment if all add ins are met. So bit of a nonsense argument again. I agree with him on Hamer being a wasted opportunity though.

Love this signing. The athleticism we've added to this squad is impressive in Bassey, Iwobi and Traore.

Bryanthebroom

He's going to be exciting to watch. The lad's got SKILLS.

bill taylors apprentice

There was definitely space for a player like him in the squad, he is the kind of player who should help us.

Was £22 million too much?
Probably, waiting until the final day certainly didn't do us any favours on price as it seems he was targeted and not just a player to fill the squad.

Unless we picked up a cheap gem from somewhere or had a youngster who could step up this season he should offer us reasonable value for money and add something to the team.

Milo

I felt he was dangerous against us last time we played Everton.

Silva knows him. He's paid over £50m for him now over the years so.. in Silva we trust. He was certainly right about his last midfielder he brought in, Palhinha!

What seems ideal is his ability to cover both Andreas and the wingers.

I suspect he will be another for Boa Morte to work with.. alongside Traore. If we can get both of them charging at opposition defences on the counter attack in the final 10-15 mins of the game then we will be a threat.

Only issue remains is we have no goal scorer. Which is a huge issue.

Lazybones

Quote from: Milo on September 02, 2023, 09:57:16 AMOnly issue remains is we have no goal scorer. Which is a huge issue.

I think this is the biggest disappointment of the window.  The percentage of our shots that have been on target this season is lower than everyone except Luton, SU and Burnley:

Without improvement here, we will really struggle.

Of course, I'm hopeful it will!

SimonDaviesEnjoyer

Good signing IMO. Welcome to the club.

OZ-WHITE

Most effective position for Iwobi in Silva's current system is replacing Reed in the Deep-Lying Playmaker role , the link through the middle when we play out from the back . Without the ball he can move up behind Pereira as part of the higher press
If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin

Sgt Fulham

Silva talked of the clubs ambition? Hmm I'd love to have seen that conversation.  Nonetheless, a signing that has definitely grown on me and could prove good business. Welcome, Alex.