watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Harris

Started by sunburywhite, September 03, 2023, 07:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

We need to hang on to our home grown youngsters and allow them to flourish and learn their trade at Fulham.

By giving them opportunities at the first available opportunity.

That is how they learn and how the manager learns about their character and abilities.

The exuberance of youth can help them overcome their inexperience.

Providing they are willing to learn and have experience players around them.

Confidence is also a factor and that will come by playing with and against quality players.

Nothing better than to have homegrown players in the team,
and can also save the club a lot of pound notes.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

I think he did well but hes a good way from being a a team player and although he has potential ,has a long way to go before he is in with a shout to be an important part of the team.

btffc

If we get enough reinforcements in January, I would like to see him get a loan to a League 1 or Championship side. Think that would be good for him to get some regular first team football.

ChesterTheTabby

We need to play Harris, Stansfield, and anyone of a similar caliber in the first team as soon as they're able. Show them there is a future at Fulham if they take their chances. Constantly putting them as unused subs or sending them off on loan constantly doesn't help them see their future here, and off they go.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

LC

Quote from: btffc on September 04, 2023, 08:41:02 PMIf we get enough reinforcements in January, I would like to see him get a loan to a League 1 or Championship side. Think that would be good for him to get some regular first team football.

I disagree. He's a lot better than League 1, I think he can make a difference with us. I think he should stay, he didn't look out of place at all against Man City. And not many people are talking about the fact he got himself into a great goalscoring position, everyone is talking about the miss itself- okay he wasn't able to convert it, but that will come. If he got himself into that position against the best team in the world then he will definitely get into those positions against other teams in the league as well.

colinwhite

Having the potential to be good enough and being good enough are two different things.Hes competing with lots of top players for a spot in the team and nowhere near many of them ,so it is not easy for him.

you can't just play the youngsters at this leveling in order to develop them ...they have to be outstanding already for that to happen.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on September 04, 2023, 09:31:32 PMWe need to play Harris, Stansfield, and anyone of a similar caliber in the first team as soon as they're able. Show them there is a future at Fulham if they take their chances. Constantly putting them as unused subs or sending them off on loan constantly doesn't help them see their future here, and off they go.

Precisely

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: LC on September 04, 2023, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: btffc on September 04, 2023, 08:41:02 PMIf we get enough reinforcements in January, I would like to see him get a loan to a League 1 or Championship side. Think that would be good for him to get some regular first team football.

I disagree. He's a lot better than League 1, I think he can make a difference with us. I think he should stay, he didn't look out of place at all against Man City. And not many people are talking about the fact he got himself into a great goalscoring position, everyone is talking about the miss itself- okay he wasn't able to convert it, but that will come. If he got himself into that position against the best team in the world then he will definitely get into those positions against other teams in the league as well.

Precisely

Never forget your Roots.

Stevieboy

Quote from: @jolslover on September 03, 2023, 08:25:05 PMI don't think he was good. If Wilson played the same the same then people would say he didn't have a good game. Perhaps he did well considering he is an 18 year old making a premier league debut away at the best team in the world but I wouldn't say he was 'good'
Careful there was almost a little bit of praise in there! :slap:

ron

Quote from: Grassy Noel on September 04, 2023, 05:31:57 AM
Quote from: Fernhurst on September 03, 2023, 07:44:49 PMMore and more impressive.
 ::scarf::  ::scarf::

More of a a Bomber than a Chopper?

....but not a Wee Willie.....
(youngsters, ask your dad)

Cobh Fulham Fan

Quote from: LC on September 04, 2023, 10:05:37 PMI disagree. He's a lot better than League 1, I think he can make a difference with us. I think he should stay, he didn't look out of place at all against Man City. And not many people are talking about the fact he got himself into a great goalscoring position, everyone is talking about the miss itself- okay he wasn't able to convert it, but that will come. If he got himself into that position against the best team in the world then he will definitely get into those positions against other teams in the league as well.

I totally agree with those sentiments!

Whitestone

From everything I've heard and read Silva wanted to sign another midfielder in the window. That didn't materialise so they weren't able to loan Harris out, which was the plan. There is a saying if your old enough your good enough. Evan Ferguson at Brighton is a current example of that. From what I've seen neither Harris or Stansfield are at the same level so loan moves make perfect sense.
Between 2011 and 2013 Harry Kane had loans at Leyton Orient, Milwall, Norwich and Leicester. Things didn't turn out badly for him.

wback

There's something a bit "small" about Harris, which makes me worry for him longer term. I could be wrong, maybe he'll turn out to be a Bruno Fernandes.

JEEVES

Quote from: wback on September 05, 2023, 11:57:11 AMThere's something a bit "small" about Harris, which makes me worry for him longer term. I could be wrong, maybe he'll turn out to be a Bruno Fernandes.

Our good prospects always seem to be small:

- Roberts
- Elliot
- Carvalho
- Harris
- Sessegnon - tallest at 5ft10, though I'm sure he was still growing when he left us!

Weirdly google has Rodrigo Muniz as 5ft10 and jay Stansfield at 6ft2.. I'm pretty sure this is roughly the other way round?

f bloke

The reality is that, apart from possibly Elliott and he remains no more than a squad player - our Academy has yet to produce someone who has clearly made it in the Premier League - although I still think Fabio will get there.  My Spurs friends are saying that Sess looks a long way short of an EPL level player. We have produced many who have made it at a level just below us, but as yet very few at our our level or above.

Now Harris has a good scoring record at age group level - a bit like Sess - he has the ability to arrive at the right place at the right time to score his tap ins - but when I have seen him play he has been largely anonymous other than his tap ins.  Are his on the ball skills good enough to warrant a place if he isn't scoring? The club clearly rate him highly and will know much more about his game than I do  but I have to say - from what i have seen, his on the ball skills are not close to the level of eg Roberts, Frei, Fab, Elliott or even Pajaziti.  I know there is more to the game than silky feet but at the same time - tap in goals will be much harder to come by in the EPL than in age group football.  I want to be wrong about him  but he has yet to excite in the same way the others I have mentioned excited me.

The standard in the EPL is extraordinarily high right now and very few make it at that level - and due to level of funding that they can provide, it is the likes of the Chelsea and Man City academies who are best placed to recruit the handful or two of players in each age group cohort most likely to make it at the EPL level - most of the others can hope for little more than a player emerging every few years

Marcel_Gecov

Lets not forget that in two seasons LH has played 84 minutes so less than a game of football. 74 of that came against the best team in the country. He is very early in his career and the fact he held his own vs City is a great sign. Lets wait for the 30m offer from Chelsea incoming.

colinwhite

That's exactly the reason he needs to go out loan ,because if he gets a lot of playing time in our team we could be in big trouble ,and that won't be too great for hime either.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: colinwhite on September 05, 2023, 01:25:28 PMThat's exactly the reason he needs to go out loan ,because if he gets a lot of playing time in our team we could be in big trouble ,and that won't be too great for hime either.

I think it goes both ways. If he goes on loan and ends up in a Muniz situation then that also will hold him back. Least here we can manage his minutes between first team and u21s and he will probably get 10-15 appearances, maybe a goal or two and a better loan or more minutes next year.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: colinwhite on September 05, 2023, 01:25:28 PMThat's exactly the reason he needs to go out loan ,because if he gets a lot of playing time in our team we could be in big trouble ,and that won't be too great for hime either.

I see it differently. Might not be room for him now after Iwobi's arrival but imo Harris would benefit hugely from top flight game time. He did not look like someone whose confidence suffered after man city.

I generally lean toward playing our best young players more often, letting them go through the growing pains to improve.