watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

VAR to release ref's & VARs comments tomorrow... on Mic'd-up

Started by Fulham Tup North, September 05, 2023, 09:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham Tup North

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/38327701/premier-league-release-var-audio-incidents-week

Sorry.. not sure how to add the link differently  ::cry::

PGMOL and the Premier League will give fans the chance to hear the discussion between the VAR and the referee for the first time this season when "Match Officials: Mic'd Up" again airs on Wednesday.

It follows a successful trial in May when Howard Webb, the chief refereeing officer, went through a series of incidents, explaining the rationale and also playing out the discussion between the match official and Stockley Park.

The show, which also features Michael Owen, will be available to all rights holders internationally and first shown at 8 p.m, in the UK by Sky Sports.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

_Putney_

Interesting. It's the right starting move to more transparency.  Eventually, we should hear this in real time and then where decisions are clearly wrong, there should be consequences that are clear. And where decisions are highly subjective, the rules need to adjusting.

elgreenio

be interesting to see if they pick some actual controversial calls, last time they did this they picked some of the relatively "easy" decisions didn't they?
Plus I wouldn't trust Michael Owen to pipe up and portray how nonsensical some of the decisions have been
touch my camera through the fence

Lighthouse

VAR Live recording

- One, two, three, four, keep them waiting at the door, five, six, seven, eight. Always pays to Make them wait. Nine ten,eleven.twelve. Bigger team not offside. Small team can do one.

Draw invisible line in wrong place and or say the offside bloke was somehow not interfering with play. The idiots will have to buy it.

'Um you do know are going out live now'

' Who cares, blimey we change the rules to suit the big teams and keep sending people off and booking the small team players. What happens? Nothing. Live or not, they have no power. Oh and send someone off for complaining. Don't care who.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Craven Mad

Glad this is happening, but having Michael Owen presenting is a clear attempt to stop people watching - the man is devoid of charisma or interest!

toshes mate

Excuse me but what IS there to discuss?

The rules are written in English.
These guys are experienced referees and so familiar with the rules they can rattle them off at will from memory.

And so it comes to interpretation does it? Well unlike the law of the land football rules are not and never have been dependant on case law - they are supposed to be so clear that any youngster playing the game knows what they mean.  That also covers changes - after about the third time of watching an average IQ (90 to 110) knows how the change goes.

And so it comes down to what? Controversy, drama and sensationalism because otherwise the many with the ten second attention span might get bored rigid.  We have seen its destructive and unhelpful effect in many other sports but football seems to be getting everything wrong around about now.  Good riddance to the game if that is what it thinks of its audience.

Nero

Wonder how much the PGMOL are being paid by sky for this, their incompetence is earning them more money. Could it have been the plan all along

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: toshes mate on September 05, 2023, 12:32:41 PMExcuse me but what IS there to discuss?

Hopefully they will look at this and realise what a complete farce the Ref / Linesman & VAR officials made of it.
Then when Fulham sue them in court we can use this tv show as evidence of their incompetence..
We get awarded the three points, receive no more bookings all season and everyone goes home happy  ::scarf::  ::thumb::

Lighthouse

Hearing incompetence and their rational explanations which make no sense outside of a mental institution will just make me even more angry. The justification of some of the ludicrous decisions may just drive us all into turning off the tv.

No he didn't try and go for the ball and wasn't in the eyeline of the keeper. No Offside.

I means hearing them say that is hardly going to make me happier.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 05, 2023, 02:56:08 PMHearing incompetence and their rational explanations which make no sense outside of a mental institution will just make me even more angry. The justification of some of the ludicrous decisions may just drive us all into turning off the tv.

No he didn't try and go for the ball and wasn't in the eyeline of the keeper. No Offside.

I means hearing them say that is hardly going to make me happier.
I hear you!!  ::angry::  ::scarf::

Nick Bateman

I think Fulham should challenge Howard Webb on the grounds that his referees are out-of-control and have a vendetta against Marco Silva and this club.

I've never witnessed any manager spoken to (ranted at) by Graham Scott last season, it was so disrespectful!!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Stevieboy

Would be good if they actually reviewed contentious decisions. Last time they did this was very tepid, no major decisions reviewed.

Finnans Right Peg

Have I missed our apology from the refs or do we not get one

alfie

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on September 05, 2023, 06:47:46 PMHave I missed our apology from the refs or do we not get one
They will only apologise if they think they have done something wrong.
Doesn't matter what we think.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Porthogs FC

Based on the commentary on TalkSport, seems they've mentioned that we received an apology immediately on Saturday night.

btffc

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3673547

What the match officials did: The VAR, Tony Harrington, and the on-field officials confirm the awarding of the goal.

What Howard Webb says: "These are not always easy to call because you're trying to get two pieces of information together: Is the player in an offside position? The assistant is well placed to see that on the field. And then what consequence was there of being in that [offside] position? How did it impact the opponents? And the referee can sometimes see that from their position.

"From the outset I want to say I think this should have been disallowed, this goal. It certainly appears that Akanji has an impact on Bernd Leno, the goalkeeper, who seems to hesitate.

"The officials on the field gave the goal. They didn't see an obvious action that impacted Leno's ability to play the ball. They see Akanji moving slightly away from the ball to let it past him. There's a flick out of the foot but that's after the ball has passed.

"When the VAR and AVAR [assistant VAR] checked that situation, they saw that same retraction away from the ball. They didn't feel that that was clearly impactful on Leno's ability to play the ball. But you can see that hesitation by the goalkeeper, who is waiting to see if the ball makes contact with Akanji, which would have deflected the ball.

"So we think it's a clear situation of offside. Unfortunately, it wasn't identified on the day, and, of course, the learning from this one will also be shared amongst all of our group because we're always looking to do better each and every week, and this was an error."

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: btffc on September 05, 2023, 08:41:00 PMhttps://www.premierleague.com/news/3673547

What the match officials did: The VAR, Tony Harrington, and the on-field officials confirm the awarding of the goal.

What Howard Webb says: "These are not always easy to call because you're trying to get two pieces of information together: Is the player in an offside position? The assistant is well placed to see that on the field. And then what consequence was there of being in that [offside] position? How did it impact the opponents? And the referee can sometimes see that from their position.

"From the outset I want to say I think this should have been disallowed, this goal. It certainly appears that Akanji has an impact on Bernd Leno, the goalkeeper, who seems to hesitate.

"The officials on the field gave the goal. They didn't see an obvious action that impacted Leno's ability to play the ball. They see Akanji moving slightly away from the ball to let it past him. There's a flick out of the foot but that's after the ball has passed.

"When the VAR and AVAR [assistant VAR] checked that situation, they saw that same retraction away from the ball. They didn't feel that that was clearly impactful on Leno's ability to play the ball. But you can see that hesitation by the goalkeeper, who is waiting to see if the ball makes contact with Akanji, which would have deflected the ball.

"So we think it's a clear situation of offside. Unfortunately, it wasn't identified on the day, and, of course, the learning from this one will also be shared amongst all of our group because we're always looking to do better each and every week, and this was an error."
What a load of waffle... the bloke was stood two yards offside..regardless of 'was he affecting the outcome'... by standing where he was he HAD to be affecting the outcome... they are just making things up and trying to justify what was an absolutely shocking decision.... pathetic...

SP

Share the learning, right, under 8s refs wouldn't need to see this nonsense.

Colton F.C.

I wonder if the Michael Owen Racing Club are aware that their man has embarked on this venture.  As we all know that juggling between two disimilar sports can have a detrimental effect on achievement.

https://www.michaelowenracingclub.com

SP

For VAR to conclude that the Utd keeping wiping out the Wolves players in the box was a normal collision is laughable.