https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 10/09/23...

Started by WhiteJC, September 10, 2023, 08:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

From Silva anger to added time: notes from the start of the Premier League

City not at their best but they do not need to be
Four wins from four without too much stress sees Manchester City two points clear at the top. The football played under Pep Guardiola – and Juanma Lillo – is clinical, the players are almost robotic in their actions to best opposition. City average 68% possession per match as opponents are forced to sit back and hope for the best, although that tactic has come under scrutiny from Erling Haaland, who has already scored six goals this season. Considering City sold a number of players over the summer and have done limited work signing replacements, others might have thought there is a chance they can take advantage of this but Guardiola is ensuring standards do not slip, whether he is on the training ground or recovering from back surgery in a different country. When City finally get up to speed, opposition managers will be even more afraid.

Promoted clubs have one point
The gap between the Premier League and the Championship is a huge one to close in the space of a summer as plucky top-flight newcomers Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton are finding out. Between them they have earned a solitary point, thanks to the Blades drawing with fellow relegation candidates Everton. Burnley have conceded 11 goals in three matches, while Luton a more respectable nine. Alongside Everton, it is the first time in history that four clubs have lost their opening three matches of the campaign. This set of defeats is unfortunate for everyone involved but perhaps most so for Burnley midfielder Sander Berge, who has lost in 20 of his past 21 Premier League appearances, the other 18 coming with Sheffield United. One suspects it will be a long old season for the three promoted sides.

The most fiery manager in football
Fourth officials at Fulham matches know what they are in for when Marco Silva is patrolling the technical area. The Portuguese manager is not afraid to get in people's faces and is more than happy to share his opinions on every decision that goes against his side, leading to an impressive three bookings in as many matches at the start of the season and a touchline ban for their Carabao Cup tie against Tottenham. Even more impressively, despite his protestations and frustration at the erroneous decision to allow Nathan Aké's goal for Manchester City, Silva did not collect a fourth yellow. "I have to adjust," Silva said after his suspension was confirmed. "Probably the best way to adjust is to be sitting on the bench. I have to tell you, that is almost impossible for me because my players need me." Will he heed his own advice?

Liverpool's new midfield clicks into gear early
It was a long list of Liverpool midfield departees in the window from James Milner to Fabinho and a few in between. This resulted in a dash to tie down Alexis Mac Allister, Dominik Szoboszlai, Ryan Gravenberch and Wataru Endo to kickstart a new era in the centre of the park. This is a marked change in personnel but the transition to this new fangled midfield began last season when Trent Alexander-Arnold became part of an experiment, performing a hybrid full-back/central midfielder role. There were a few teething problems, possibly best shown in Liverpool's dramatic 4-3 win over Tottenham when his offensive play was imperative to his side's best work but it left a gaping hole in defence. Four months on, Alexander-Arnold and his teammates understand what is required and Jürgen Klopp is steadily reaping the rewards.

Hammers maintain European momentum
Last season it seemed the Europa Conference League was a distraction for West Ham as they struggled to maintain their Premier League status on their run to the final in Prague. But they saw off Fiorentina and things are still bouncing at the London Stadium. There was a slow summer in the window but eventually James Ward-Prowse, Edson Álvarez, Konstantinos Mavropanos and Mohammed Kudus arrived. They have taken the momentum from being European (Conference League) champions into domestic football. The pressure is finally lifting from David Moyes, who has maintained his calm despite a lot of fans calling for his head. The Hammers are unbeaten in four Premier League matches of which they have won three. They await the start of the Europa League and will be desperate to balance playing twice a week better than they did to last season.

Added time is just adding to the mayhem
In an era where managers and players are complaining about the amount of football, some big brain in officialdom decided that elite sport needs lots of extra minutes to tire people out. Guardiola said: "With this added time at the end of the league we won't have played 38 games, it will be 43 games. Plus the Champions League, plus the Club World Cup, it's more and more. And then Fifa has to look out for the national teams, which again I'm not saying is a bad thing – of course any national team has the right to play – but we have to find a balance. Quality not quantity." Players will suffer and fans will be charged their eyewatering fees for tickets and TV subscriptions to watch a less product. Will common sense prevail? No.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/silva-anger-added-time-notes-070016738.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jLm5ld3Nub3cuY28udWsv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAE6-VqlHP8kwED4vQ5ANlHKW-3CmEW6i_gWkMR1r_b0pwsIDiXr3RSpP15-Vnu-5IC_BeTZ9HPTRi1qCgx-7jXn2euDZ_fHsatv_DTteXCpvrbZbeuyCiEbO3_ameKsxxAU_EszY_Cg3tpLJVOuYK6KnEk0y_On2XnO6wMqBacTe

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

The big talking point around Fulham at the moment is Manchester City's second goal at the weekend. Howard Webb has come out and admitted that VAR got it wrong. It was such an obvious mistake as well, it was scandalous, really. Manuel Akanji has jumped over the ball, so Bernd Leno was actually waiting for the touch to happen. But it doesn't happen, the ball goes through Akanji's legs and then that split second means Leno moves from one foot to the other and can't get to the ball, so it's definitely offside. I know Marco Silva does like a rant but I think he was entitled to that one!

That made it 2-1 on the stroke of half-time, which completely swung the game. If we go in at 1-1, City get a little bit anxious because even now at these early stages of the season, you can see how vital every point is to these teams fighting for the title. Arsenal do a lap of honour after getting three points, so you can see any loss of points at the top is vital, especially for teams like City. If you get in at 1-1 you've got half a chance because even the top teams can get a little bit anxious, but unfortunately for us the missed offside call didn't give us that opportunity.

The performances this season have been good on the whole. Brentford is maybe the one you'd look at as disappointing, but – again – that one changed on a controversial decision. I was doing that game, commentating on it, and no way was that a penalty. Yoane Wissa, on his left foot, was trying to half volley the ball. He can't kick with his left foot, if you've seen Wissa, he's all right footed. Tim Ream tries to get back at him on the wrong side, there's a slight touch on his shoulder, but because he's not balanced when he's kicking it with his left foot, that's why he's skewed it wide. That was definitely not a penalty in my eyes, and it changed the whole face of the game for me.

It was a smash and grab at Everton, they had more chances than us, but there's some games that you're going to nick now and again. The Arsenal one felt quite significant, with João Palhinha scoring that volley on the near post right near the end of the game to get us the draw. We'd worked hard that day and were harshly down to 10 men, so that was a very satisfying point.

I can't admit to knowing loads about Fodé Ballo-Touré, but the manager said he wanted cover at left-back, so that's a good one to get in late in the day. I think you can more or less pick our back four at the moment, but you've got to have cover, everywhere you go you've got to have cover, so his arrival can only benefit the squad.

Alex Iwobi was an interesting signing. I saw Alex a lot when he was at the Arsenal when he came shining through. Then he went over to Everton, and every time I saw him there he was their best player, whether he played on the right or the left. They will have been a bit miffed to let him go – I think they needed the money for FFP rules. That's a good nick for us, as he offers us a different option in midfield. Marco signed him at Everton as well, knows what he can do, so I think it's a good signing all round.

Luton next up is one we've got to be looking for maximum points from, especially being at home. They haven't had the best of starts to the season, so I think it's just a question of being patient, because they will make mistakes. They've got some good individual players, but they will make mistakes. They came up out of the Championship, which was unexpected, so whatever they're going to get out of Premier League this year, financially, is a bonus for them. It's going to be tough for them to stay up, but you've got to hold your hands up and acknowledge how well they've done to get here in the first place. But for that reason, this game is a must win for Fulham.

In personal news, I've published my autobiography! It's called That's Entertainment, and I waited until now rather than putting something out in the middle of my career when you can't say anything. I am getting a little bit older now, so it's a full life story, rather than when you are in the middle of your playing career or still deciding what you're going to do after playing. Those people's books can be pretty boring, but this one ain't!

The Fulham chapters were the most fun to do, I've got to be honest. The stories of my apprenticeship and everything, there are some good stories in there about that. Then obviously getting in the team with the three amigos – Moore, Best and Marsh. And then it goes on to another era of players and the turnaround with Bobby Campbell, with Ray Houghton, Paul Parker, Ray Lewington, Gordon Davies, Les Strong, people like that. It's the full story, from when I was aged 12 at Fulham, to leaving at 24. So those will be the interesting chapters for the Fulham fans.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/09/the-tony-gale-column/

WhiteJC

Southampton, AC Milan, Fulham, Boavista stars escape elevator incident ahead of Super Eagles' AFCON dead rubber
Several Super Eagles stars have encountered a nerve-wracking situation ahead of their final Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sao Tome and Principe, Soccernet.ng reports.

The Nigerian players, who had been part of the camp since it opened on Wednesday, September 6, found themselves in a somewhat alarming predicament inside an elevator in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

Nigeria have already secured their spot in the AFCON tournament in Ivory Coast, rendering the Sao Tome and Principe match a formality.

Still, head coach Jose Peseiro invited many of the country's elite talents, including the likes of Napoli's prolific goal-scorer Victor Osimhen, Nottingham's Taiwo Awoniyi, Gent's Gift Orban, and Bayer Leverkusen's Victor Boniface.

As they prepare for the game, the Super Eagles have been accommodated at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel in Ikot Ekpene Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

The team had undergone several training sessions, and their overall demeanour appeared composed and relaxed.

A disturbing incident, however, nearly overturned that peace and tranquility.

The hotel's elevator malfunctioned, leaving AC Milan's Samuel Chukwueze, goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, Nottingham Forest's Ola Aina, West Brom's Semi Ajayi and others trapped inside.

A video of the incident posted on Instagram captured some players' attempts to release the elevator's doors manually.

While some onlookers seemed to find amusement in the situation, it was evident that a few players were genuinely unnerved by the experience.

Thankfully, Boavista defender Bruno Onyemaechi took the lead in successfully prying open the elevator's doors, ensuring the players' safe exit. Southampton midfielder Joe Aribo, visibly relieved, was seen making a sign of the cross after the ordeal had passed.

The incident concluded without harming anyone, allowing the Super Eagles to continue preparing for Sunday's match with Sao Tome and Principe.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/09/southampton-ac-milan-fulham-boavista-stars-escape-elevator-incident-ahead-of-super-eagles-afcon-dead-rubber.html

WhiteJC

Report: Spurs have already decided to offload one senior player in January window
Football Insider have claimed that Tottenham Hotspur are planning to offload Eric Dier in January and replace him with Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo.

Dier is evidently not in Ange Postecoglou's plans, with the centre-back not making any of Tottenham's matchday squads so far this season.

In fact, the Spurs head coach even named 18-year-old summer signing from Blackburn Rovers, Ashley Phillips on the bench ahead of the England international for Spurs' 5-2 win over Burnley last weekend.

The Telegraph revealed a couple of days ago that Dier held a meeting with chairman Daniel Levy after being overlooked by Postecoglou.

The report explained that while the details of the pair's conversation were kept private, it was likely to do with the 29-year-old's status in the squad and his future.

Spurs want to replace Eric Dier in January transfer window
Football Insider have now claimed that Tottenham are planning on offloading the long-serving defender when the transfer window reopens in January.

The publication suggests that if the Lilywhites are successful in doing so, they will make a move for Adarabioyo after failing to get a deal for the Fulham star over the line during the summer.

The outlet suggests that Spurs could land the 25-year-old on a cut-price fee as he will have just six months left to run on his contract at Craven Cottage at the time.

Adarabioyo was heavily linked with a move to Monaco during the transfer window, but was unable to seal a move to the Ligue 1 outfit ahead of the window slamming shut.

Spurs Web Opinion
There is no doubt that Spurs need reinforcements at the back. Adarabioyo and Lloyd Kelly are the two obvious names on the top of the club's wishlist, with both likely to have only six months left on their deals in January.

However, I am not so sure that getting Eric Dier out of the door will prove easy as I get the feeling that the 29-year-old wants to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club in January ahead of a free transfer next summer.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/report-spurs-have-already-decided-to-offload-one-senior-player-in-january-window/

WhiteJC

Fulham considering January move for Scott McTominay to replace Joao Palhinha
Fulham are considering a move for Scott McTominay in January as a replacement for Joao Palhinha, who could join Bayern Munich then.

According to Fichajes, Fulham are eyeing up a move for Scott McTominay in January, as they could let Joao Palhinha leave for Bayern Munich then. The 26-year-old Manchester United homegrown player is not a part of Erik ten Hag's squad, and the club were open to selling him in the last months.

Manchester United fans are in a dilemma concerning Scott McTominay. The Scotsman has been a part of the team for many years but never convinced anyone of his absolute quality. Recently, he has grown in stature with his national team but remains on the periphery at the club level.

Manchester United were open to selling him during the summer window and even received multiple approaches from Premier League sides. Bayern Munich were one of them and may have made enquiries to find out if he was available.

Eventually, they switched their attention towards Fulham's Joao Palhinha. But a move fell through due to the early closure of the German window. Other reasons in the background prevented the Portuguese international from moving to Munich. But Bayern will return in January to sign the 28-year-old.

While Fulham will have the midfielder after the international break, they know Palhinha's preference to join Bayern in January. Marco Silva would like to revive the club's interest in McTominay, who continued to shine for Scotland but deemed not good enough for Manchester United.

In Scotland's win over Cyprus, McTominay scored again and is currently one of the three top scorers in the Euro 2024 qualifying stage alongside Romelu Lukaku and Rasmus Hojlund. Fulham were keen in the summer and may have seen a move rejected by the 26-year-old Manchester United homegrown player himself.

However, Manchester United have a price in mind and could accept a reasonable offer from suitors for the 26-year-old midfielder. After the potential sale of Palhinha, Fulham could have the necessary funds to replace the Portuguese with the Scotland international.

The idea could transpire again in January if ten Hag keeps the Scotland international on the periphery. With McTominay likely to take Scotland into the Euros next year, he would want to stay sharp, and that would only come with regular playing time.

With Manchester United bringing in Sofyan Amrabat on deadline day, McTominay's game time could reduce drastically between now and January. Hence, the midfielder might consider his future at the club if the situation does not change, and Fulham could become an option, but other clubs like West Ham will also stay alert.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/09/fulham-considering-january-move-for-scott-mctominay-to-replace-joao-palhinha/

WhiteJC

Scott McTominay 'turned down deadline-day move to Fulham'
 Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay reportedly turned down the chance to make the move to Fulham in the closing hours of the summer transfer window.

The 26-year-old continued his strong international form with a goal and an assist in Scotland's 3-0 win over Cyprus on Friday evening, and he has now scored six goals and registered one assist in his last five appearances for his national team.

McTominay is not regarded as a starter at Man United under Erik ten Hag, though, with Casemiro, Mason Mount, Bruno Fernandes and Christian Eriksen all ahead of him in the pecking order.

The midfielder is also now likely behind Sofyan Amrabat too, following the Morocco international's loan switch to Old Trafford from Fiorentina on transfer deadline day.

There was a host of speculation surrounding McTominay's future over the summer, with Newcastle United and West Ham United both thought to have shown an interest.

Fulham were then heavily linked with him in the latter stages of the window, with the Cottagers looking to bring in a replacement for Joao Palhinha, who was given permission to travel to Germany ahead of an expected move to Bayern Munich.

According to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, Man United were willing to let McTominay move to Fulham on deadline day, but the Scot turned down the switch.

Palhinha's proposed move to Bayern therefore fell through, with Fulham pulling the plug at the final moment, having been unable to bring in a replacement.

Bayern are expected to reignite their interest in Palhinha at the start of 2024, while McTominay's future could again be the subject of speculation in January if he finds it difficult to break into the Man United side.

McTominay, who has another two years left to run on his contract at Old Trafford, has only played seven minutes of Premier League football during the 2023-24 campaign.

Indeed, the midfielder came off the bench against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Nottingham Forest, but he was not involved against either Tottenham Hotspur or Arsenal.

McTominay has made 211 appearances for the Red Devils in all competitions, scoring 19 goals and registering five assists in the process.

Fred left Man United's midfield department over the summer to join Fenerbahce, while Donny van de Beek is currently being heavily linked with a loan switch to Turkey.

McTominay will be bidding to help Scotland make it six straight wins in all competitions in next week's mouthwatering friendly with England.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/news/scott-mctominay-turned-down-deadline-day-move-to-fulham_523657.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Manchester United rival Barcelona, Bayern Munich in Joao Palhinha pursuit
Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich are ready to battle it out for the services of 28-year-old Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha.

According to a report by Mundo Deportivo, Joao Palhinha is on the radar of Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. The three European giants are expected to push for the 28-year-old's services in the winter transfer window.

Palhinha joined Fulham last summer for a fee of just €22 million from Sporting CP. Since arriving in England, the Portuguese international has gone from strength to strength. He has featured in 43 matches and has five goals to show for it.

He has been a rock in front of the Cottagers' defence, and his impressive performances have not gone unnoticed. Bayern Munich wanted to acquire his services in the recently-concluded transfer window. They had agreed on a deal with Fulham and the player had completed his medical.

But the Cottagers failed to secure a replacement in time and the move collapsed. While Palhinha is all set to continue at Fulham for now, Bayern are expected to return for his services in the winter. They rate him very highly and will do their best to secure his signatures.

However, it won't be easy this time around as Barcelona and Manchester United have also entered the race. The Catalan giants recently added Oriol Romeu to their ranks. The 31-year-old defensive midfielder has been signed to fill the void left by Sergio Busquets.

But, Barcelona are well aware of the fact that they need another defensive midfielder in the mix, someone who is at least a bit younger than Romeu. They have shortlisted a few cost-effective options but also have their eyes on the Portuguese international, who might cost around €65 million.

Meanwhile, reports suggest that Manchester United are also keen on having him in their ranks. The Red Devils are ready to match the bid submitted by the German giants on the transfer deadline day. Erik ten Hag wants a rock-solid base in the centre of the park and is willing to add another defensive midfielder to the mix.

While the Red Devils have been linked with the 28-year-old, it looks unlikely that they will make a move for the Portuguese international's services. They already have Casemiro and Sofyan Amrabat for the defensive role and adding Palhinha to the mix won't really make sense.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/09/manchester-united-rival-barcelona-bayern-munich-in-joao-palhinha-pursuit/

WhiteJC

Erik ten Hag hands Man Utd opportunity to Premier League cult hero on Steve McClaren advice

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag returned to his former club FC Twente on Friday, where he bumped into former Fulham midfielder Bryan Ruiz at a farewell match

Manchester United have invited Bryan Ruiz to Carrington in order to help the former Fulham star gain experience as a coach.

Ruiz, 38, retired from playing last year and has now embarked upon a coaching career in his native Costa Rica. He was in the Netherlands on Friday for FC Twente midfielder Wout Brama's farewell match and there he bumped into United boss Erik ten Hag.

Ten Hag started his coaching career at Twente, taking charge of the club's under-17s and under-19s before working under Steve McClaren with the first team. The Dutchman worked with McClaren for a year before moving to PSV Eindhoven to become assistant there in 2009.

That move meant Ten Hag did not cross paths with Ruiz, who played for Twente between 2009 and 2011, helping McClaren's to win the Eredivisie title. That connection has now proven fruitful for Ruiz, who could link up with his former boss at United.

"I keep myself fit," he told De Telegraaf of retirement. "I go to the gym, I play tennis and padel. The first six months after I stopped I took completely time off and only spent time with my family. Now I have started as a trainer of the Deportivo Alajuelense under-17s to find out whether I am good at being a trainer and also whether I enjoy it enough.

"I have now received an invitation to come and see Steve McClaren and Erik ten Hag at Manchester United. Those are fun things to do."

Ruiz scored with a backheel playing for FC Twente's 2010 league winning side against Brama's All-Star side on Friday night. The match finished as a 2-2 draw, sending Brama out with a bang after 14 years of service for Twente.

Deportivo Alajuelense are a team in Costa Rica and are the club who gave Ruiz his first break in football. The attacking midfielder moved from there to Gent and Twente before making his name in four years with Fulham.

Ruiz contributed 13 goals and 24 assists in 107 matches for Fulham between 2011 and 2015. He went on to play for PSV Eindhoven on loan, Sporting Lisbon and Santos in Brazil before finishing his career where it started at Alajuelense.

McClaren is a key figure for Ten Hag at United. The 62-year-old combines a close relationship with Ten Hag, from their time at Twente, with his experience at United, having worked as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant between 1999 and 2001.

"That is also part of the reason that I really wanted him along with the other capabilities that he has," Ten Hag said in July 2022 after confirming his arrival.

"The fact that he knows the club is a big advantage for us and, although it is a long time ago, he knows the culture of Manchester United. I think with both [McClaren and fellow coach Mitchell Van der Gaag], he was a coach from the moment he was born."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manutd-tenhag-mcclaren-bryan-ruiz-30904003