https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotland v England

Started by filham, September 12, 2023, 07:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassy Noel

I thought that Dunk was the OG expert.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Fair Play to England they really have some Great players, particularly in Bellingham and Kane.  That was a good win in a fairly hostile atmosphere against a team that were up for it.

Maguire wearing the Captain's Band at the final whistle in the 150th Anniversary win against Scotland shows some areas can stil do with improvement though.

jayffc

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on September 12, 2023, 09:42:24 PMFair Play to England they really have some Great players, particularly in Bellingham and Kane.

Maguire wearing the Captain's Band at the final whistle in the 150th Anniversary win against Scotland shows some areas can stil do with improvement though.

Tomori, Dunk, Mings, even gueye probably better options

filham

England clearly the better team and deserved their 3-1 victory but why did they try just to sit on their two goal lead for the first half hour of the second half. Parker Ball was on display again and had Scotland produced more they could have got a couple of goals.

Lighthouse

1960s - A great tackle to cleanly take the ball
2020s - A booking for the foul because he flashed his studs and the players react in a weird melee with players from both sides being booked.

1960s - A great run forward and a great pass and a wonderful chance created
2020s - A great run forward but the pass goes backwards because the players want to hold onto the ball and not create anymore or allow the opposition to take the ball incase it gives them the chance.

How dull football is created and yet everybody forgets.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Well done England we were on a different level and thoroughly deserved the victory.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 12, 2023, 09:47:50 PM1960s - A great tackle to cleanly take the ball
2020s - A booking for the foul because he flashed his studs and the players react in a weird melee with players from both sides being booked.

2020s - A great run forward but the pass goes backwards because the players want to hold onto the ball and not create anymore or allow the opposition to take the ball incase it gives them the chance.

Did you actually watch the game tonight?

Lester Burnham

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 12, 2023, 09:47:50 PM1960s - A great tackle to cleanly take the ball

Strange comment. England are on the verge of a very good side.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 12, 2023, 10:30:19 PM

Yes obviously otherwise I couldn't make the point about the tackle that would have been considered a good tackle in the Sixties that developed into a booking and players being involved in push and shove. Or the comment about the fact that we went backwards and sideways against a very poor Scotland side and scored because of out quick passing but only used it sparingly and preferred keep ball. The fact that people considered it entertaining proves the point I was making.

Rightwhite

Well played tonight England. Far superior to the jocks who are right in form at the moment. Embarrassing though how Maguire gets ridiculed by his OWN fans. He always does a job for the three lions.

Bracken White

Really thought many of the Scottish fans discourteous & unsporting to boo the national anthem. Unnecessary.So pleased we cruised past them + gave them a goal! Bellingham reminiscent a tad of Moussa Dembele - showed real quality/
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

bencher

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 12, 2023, 11:28:12 PM

Yes obviously otherwise I couldn't make the point about the tackle that would have been considered a good tackle in the Sixties that developed into a booking and players being involved in push and shove. Or the comment about the fact that we went backwards and sideways against a very poor Scotland side and scored because of out quick passing but only used it sparingly and preferred keep ball. The fact that people considered it entertaining proves the point I was making.

There was a moment late in the game where Ramsdale played a brilliant diagonal pass to the left wing, the forward (can't remember who) controlled it nicely and was ready to attack the box, but a few seconds later the ball was back with the England centre backs. Things like that are so frustrating to watch.

bog

Quote from: filham on September 12, 2023, 09:46:50 PMEngland clearly the better team and deserved their 3-1 victory but why did they try just to sit on their two goal lead for the first half hour of the second half. Parker Ball was on display again and had Scotland produced more they could have got a couple of goals.

+1. We have the players, I just worry over the leadership and style of play at times.   

roberto w6

I only watched bits of the game but was interested to see how McTominay played after our supposed interest in him as a Palhinha replacement.

From the bits I saw, pretty anonymous.

Somerset Fulham

Well you watched a different game to me in that case.  That was a completely controlled performance against an opponent that was charged up and in excellent form and on another day could have been more.

Bar about ten minutes (when they scored) England never looked even remotely like they were in trouble and that constitutes a good result for me. I honestly don't know what the detractors from this very very good side actually expect any more.

Still, its all about opinions I suppose.

toshes mate

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 13, 2023, 09:10:28 AMStill, its all about opinions I suppose.
Why be so condescending about it then?

I am sure I saw a different game to both you and Lighthouse but I can recognise both of your opposed remarks as being about the same game. At times I thought England were awful with the ball and playing a negative game in a match where their opponents were having a torrid time. I thought England's first half performance was almost perfection but why the drop off second half? 

We all see things differently and that, thank the Lord, is why life is so very, very interesting.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: roberto w6 on September 13, 2023, 08:20:37 AMI only watched bits of the game but was interested to see how McTominay played after our supposed interest in him as a Palhinha replacement.

My finger was hovering on the pad above my Weetabix and you beat me to it.
Ditto : Comment!

Lighthouse

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 13, 2023, 09:10:28 AM

Well you watched a different game to me in that case.  That was a completely controlled performance against an opponent that was charged up and in excellent form and on another day could have been more.

Bar about ten minutes (when they scored) England never looked even remotely like they were in trouble and that constitutes a good result for me. I honestly don't know what the detractors from this very very good side actually expect any more.

Still, its all about opinions I suppose.

I am detracting from the modern game. If you enjoy it then fine. If you think the foul was a foul and deserved a booking then fine. But as you say it is about opinions.

copthornemike

Quote from: roberto w6 on September 13, 2023, 08:20:37 AMI only watched bits of the game but was interested to see how McTominay played after our supposed interest in him as a Palhinha replacement.

True, then again so was Harry Kane whilst the younger guns were playing around the Scottish defence and midfield.
McTominay had the not inconsiderable problem of being in the Scottish team on the night.
My take was he has considerable energy and fully committed, but lacked the physical presence of Palhinha?

Grassy Noel

Quote from: copthornemike on September 13, 2023, 11:12:41 AM

True, then again so was Harry Kane whilst the younger guns were playing around the Scottish defence and midfield.
McTominay had the not inconsiderable problem of being in the Scottish team on the night.
My take was he has considerable energy and fully committed, but lacked the physical presence of Palhinha?

To which I would add as CDM he does not have the same ability to detect danger. If I may paraphrase Carborundum, He is not a human windscreen wiper. Merely a moist sponge.