watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Magic of the Cup

Started by Chopper, February 15, 2010, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper

I wasn't at the Cottage on Sunday, and I've not yet managed to attend any of our FA Cup games. That's not for want of trying, just hasn't worked out for me this season in between family life. Though I'd rather see us play Notts County or travel to Accrington than watch another dull game against Bolton or Birmingham, sometimes I just have to accept I've already spent as much as I can afford. I've been to most of the home European games this season and have to make room for the family at some point.

Now it never fails to annoy me when Alan Green starts moaning about the turnout at a match that he's got into for free. This was true on Sunday when Green was comparing the attendances for the Man City game against Stoke in the Cup and the League. To me it's not rocket science. Most regular fans buy a season ticket which includes entry to every home league game but not to the cup matches.

Anyway my point of posting was that I read this article http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=4520 about some new proposal's from the FA's Chief Executive, Ian Watmore. It's an intersting read but if you can't be bothered let me sum Watmore's suggestions to restore the cup's prestige.

1. Scrapping replays.

2. Midweek Fixtures.

3. Shaking Up The Prize Money.

4. Using It To Showcase "Pioneering Innovations".

5. Seeding The Competition.

First and foremost I don't think the cup needs any restoring, I think it's fine as it is. However, with the possible exception of number 3, these ideas seem to remove the very things that make the Cup such a great competition.

I'm interested to hear what others think. Does the Cup need some help or is it OK as it is. If you think it needs changing what changes would you suggest?
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

finnster01

The best competition in all of sports bar none. How could anyone even suggest tinkering with this staple? Blasphemy!!  >:(

Much more competitive and unpredictable than the Prem for starters. Prem is turning into the Scottish Prem but a couple of more teams in for a shout.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

As you say Chopper the cup is just fine as it is, however unless you have a family that loves Fulham as much as you do or very deep pockets then something has to give.

It's not surprising that Bolton and Palace had empty seats as both teams have got a lot of local rivals who are vying for supporters and both matches were televised.

If the FA want to improve attendances then they should consider televising games which are going to sell out regardless (i.e the grounds with smaller capacities).

jarv

The proposals are absolute nonsense except the one about the shake up of the money.
Replays are an integral part of the competition and a money spinner for small clubs. To scrap them is crazy.
My son played a bit of non-league and they get some useful chunks of change for a win.

The only change I would make is for the 3rd round....pot A prem teams, pot B the rest.
First 20 draws would be a prem team away to a team from pot B.

After all, the fa are always on about tradition, sharing of money etc....put some real action in to it.

Seeding.....aaaaarrggh, do they want to turn it into tennis.

Lighthouse

Yes lets seed the Cup so that only the top clubs are likely to be left and the smaller clubs have only one big pay day. Ah the magic of the cup.

Lets scrap replays and instead fill up all the space with play offs for European matches and friendly games. Lets face replays are soooo dull.

Give em more money

Lets have the new technology of a referee and assistant referee actually reverting to the old rules of the Offside trap. This will make it simpler and cause less controversy.

Lets play the games on a Wednesday night. That will pack the punters in.

OR YOU COULD LEAVE IT ALONE AND STOP BLOODY TINKERING. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE LOSING MONEY RICH CLUBS DOESN'T MEAN WE HAVE TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chopper

Good to see we all pretty much agree.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

FatFreddysCat

I think the big four should get a 2-0 headstart in every cup game, the final is going to be terrible this year, especially if City beat Chelsea. How crap would a Fulham V Villa final be? If Pompey go out of business we could perhaps bring Man Utd back into the cup and get the Blue v Red final that every true fan wants.

Rupert

How to restore the magic of the FA Cup in one easy step-

The winners qualify for the fourth Champion's League spot. :o

It will never happen.  :'(
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

SuffolkWhite

I like that Rupert, imagine Champions of the F.A Cup actually being in the Champions League!!

But alas you are right it will never happen.

I predict that in the next  ten years there will be a European League 1 and 2 and that will be a bigger problem!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

WhiteJC

hoe to restore the magic of the FA Cup....

give the BBC the rights to show every game

ITV, like SKY, need to make money from their coverage, the BBC (funded by you and me) doesn't have the same financial constraintes