watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy Hodgson Taken Ill

Started by Brawn, September 16, 2023, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

It went slightly under the radar this morning but Roy Hodgson was taken ill and did not travel to Villa Park for Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace today.

Always and forever a Fulham legend, I hope the big man's OK.

Andy S

Nobody has said how ill. So I wish him well but as a man in his 80,s he should not be managing a professional football club. He should be taking things a bit easier. As they always say Football is a young mans game.

The Rock

Quote from: Andy S on September 17, 2023, 12:50:35 AMNobody has said how ill. So I wish him well but as a man in his 80,s he should not be managing a professional football club. He should be taking things a bit easier. As they always say Football is a young mans game.

I love Roy and everything he did with his time with us and otherwise.

But I thought he's 75?

RaySmith

Hope he's ok, but good on him, if he feels up to it why shouldn't he take on a new challenge if he gets the opportunity, if that's what he feels he  wants to do, and feels capable.
Must be a big wrench when you finally have to give it all up.

Most like me, haven't got any chance to achieve anything more in life, even if they feel fine. Lot of prejudice against older people, all consigned to the scrap heap;
but look at the Stones, Dylan, still making new records and touring into their 80's, because they can - no-one tells them to retire while they're still attracting the fans.

His illness may only be minor - hope that's the case anyway.

Twig

Roy turned 76 in August so he is not yet "a man in his 80's". According to subsequent reports he simply didn't feel well after breakfast yesterday but was feeling better later in the day, so it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

Carborundum

In the relentless search for attention, journalists prefer the dramatic "taken ill" to the passive "feeling unwell".  Language is always on the move.  When I was a kid "poorly" was what you were when you didn't qualify for being "ill".  Now it's often meant to infer being at death's door.

Schools are back, public transport packed and the lurgies are having a field day.  Hope RH is feeling better soon, whatever it is afflicting him.

filham

Hope it is nothing serious Roy, you know all of us at the Cottage will be wishing you well.

hopper

Quote from: Carborundum on September 17, 2023, 09:41:43 AMIn the relentless search for attention, journalists prefer the dramatic "taken ill" to the passive "feeling unwell".  Language is always on the move.  When I was a kid "poorly" was what you were when you didn't qualify for being "ill".  Now it's often meant to infer being at death's door.

Schools are back, public transport packed and the lurgies are having a field day.  Hope RH is feeling better soon, whatever it is afflicting him.

Think the taken ill line may have been from palace, but agree about the implications.

Andy S

Sorry for putting 4 years on poor Roy. I wish him well

Benny

I'm sure he'll be back next weekend to give us a thumping......

bog

Fernhurst

Despite coaching my Son's Primary School team to overwhelming success, I know for a solid gold fact I couldn't coach CP at my age although I am a year younger than Roy! I'm too knackered and don't know how he does it. Deserves every accolade he has received so from us all at Fulham, Get well soon Sir.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Eton White

Apparently Sir Roy has recovered from his illness and will be in the dug out for our match.

It's absolutely fantastic news that he's feeling better but I do wish he'd take just one more weekend off to make sure he's totally recovered!

His clubs always seem to beat us when he's in charge!  ::wink::