News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - one heck of a film recommendation!

Started by The Equalizer, January 19, 2011, 11:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

I have just had the absolute pleasure of seeing 'Black Swan', and for all you FoFers out there, I cannot recommend this bad boy enough.

This film was absolutely incredible. It starts as a simple story about a young ballet dancer trying to get a role in Swan Lake, but it progresses into something complex,sexy, frightening and beautiful. The acting from Natalie Portman is nothing short of unreal and supports from Vincent Cassell, Mila Kunis and Barbara Hershey are superb.

Prior to this evening I knew practically nothing about Swan Lake, other than it was written in 1876 by Tchaikovsky, and was influenced by the life of Ludwig II of Bavaria. Now, I want to know more. A LOT more. And I wouldn't mind going to the ballet to see it.

Please, if you see this in the cinema near where you are, go and watch the film and be amazed.

My previous favourite films were:

Star Wars
Die Hard
Jaws
Lawrence of Arabia
North By Northwest
Ghostbusters
Let The Right One In and...
Grease.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

Other than Star Wars which was the most overrated of films from the list of 'Lighthouse lists of overrated films' I will put Black Swan on my list of films to see. Ta for the recommendation. Fancy not having Aliens or Pleasantville  or.............

I now know what your Facebook comment ment. It could have gone either way.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

duffbeer

I think people love it or hate it.  My brother, a ballet aficionado and Natalie Portman fan, loved it.  My mom, a former NY Ballet dancer herself, hated, and I mean hated, it.  

Lighthouse

Quote from: duffbeer on January 20, 2011, 12:45:14 AM
I think people love it or hate it.  My brother, a ballet aficianado and Natalie Portman fan, loved it.  My mom, a former NY Ballet dancer herself, hated, and I mean hated, it. 

Over here in one of our film progs, one critic loved it the other hated it. So looks as if you are right. Guess I will wait to see it on DVD rental.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

there are more holes in the plot than one could find in Blackburn, Lancashire. It rather detracted from my enjoyment of the film. Natalie Portman is incandesant, however, and there are some amazing visual achievements that still take my breath away. It wouldn't rank in my top 100 films of the last 20 years, say, but it's worth spending your cash on.

And, Ms. Maureen, I fully understand your mom hating it.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SG

Saw 'The Kings Speech' at the weekend and can thoroughly recommend it, although you need to like your history I guess. Colin Firth was superb

TonyGilroy

Quote from: SG on January 20, 2011, 08:22:18 AM
Saw 'The Kings Speech' at the weekend and can thoroughly recommend it, although you need to like your history I guess. Colin Firth was superb

I'm boycotting it as a protest against sycophancy of royals.

Until now I hadn't told anyone though so it's had little impact.

The Equalizer

An article on the Empire Magazine website describes Darren Aronofsky as the 'Marmite director' - you either love him or you hate him.

I advised my flatmate and his missus before watching that the film had the potential to be 'odd'. There were definitely a few  :tom: moments, but overall I thought it was a brilliant film.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

b+w geezer

Believe that it is indeed quite a film, but that ballet pros find it has a cliched take on backstage life, and that it's a travesty in those terms -- infuriating for them but irrelevant for the rest of us, so long as we remember to apply a massive dose of salt.
Every now and then I get dragged along to Sadlers Wells, The Coliseum or (last week actually) Covent Garden, not exactly kicking and screaming, but not really with a spring in my step. And then for the most part I enjoy it. In fact last week (different ballet, Giselle) I found myself frankly gripped and even agreed to watch it again a few days later on DVD. What's happening?
Ticket last week was about a fiver more than it will be on Saturday, and even I could appreciate that the standard was more Barcelona than Stoke. My advice to the poster would be to indeed give it a try. Swan Lake's in the current repertoire and the stalls circle offers good bang for buck.

AlFayedsChequebook

Went to see 127 hours last night. Cracking film which simply reasserts just how good a filmaker Danny Boyle is.

James Franco puts in a fantastic performance, and by then end you are really emotionally involved in the film. Since I am a cynic, this does not happen often.

FFCcravencottage

I wouldn't be much good as a film critic, I don't really like Action movies, or American Comedy Movies.
I watched "The Kings Speech" and "Black Swan" "127 Hours" watchable but not my cup of tea. For what it's worth
I liked the Stieg Larsson Trilogy especially now that I have all 3 in dubbed English.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest

Also liked "Winters Bone" "The Disappearance of Alice Creed" and two remakes that got slated by the
critics "True Grit and "Let Me In" (Let The Right One In) I enjoyed.

Forgot to mention my real recommendations "Mum and Dad" and "Cherry Tree Lane" "Eden Lake"

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFCcravencottage on January 20, 2011, 09:23:49 AM
I wouldn't be much good as a film critic, I don't really like Action movies, or American Comedy Movies.
I watched "The Kings Speech" and "Black Swan" "127 Hours" watchable but not my cup of tea. For what it's worth
I liked the Stieg Larsson Trilogy especially now that I have all 3 in dubbed English.

Also liked "Winters Bone" "The Disappearance of Alice Creed" and two remakes that got slated by the

Forgot to mention my real recommendations "Mum and Dad" and "Cherry Tree Lane" "Eden Lake"

True Grit and Let Me In got slated? I must say I'm very surprised. They're both up for Oscars aren't they?

FFCcravencottage

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 20, 2011, 10:06:23 AM
Quote from: FFCcravencottage on January 20, 2011, 09:23:49 AM

True Grit and Let Me In got slated? I must say I'm very surprised. They're both up for Oscars aren't they?

I think it was more the "You Can't Beat The Original" brigade

White Noise

Quote from: HatterDon on January 20, 2011, 05:54:15 AM
Natalie Portman is incandesant, however, .

You ain't just whistling Dixie HD!

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFCcravencottage on January 20, 2011, 10:17:51 AM
I think it was more the "You Can't Beat The Original" brigade

Ah, fair point. I'm also pretty much with the same crowd, but these two have directors that carry a bit of weight: The Coens and Matt Reeves (Cloverfield). Also, 'Let Me In' is based on the book as opposed to the film which should make some difference (although I think that's just a cheap way out. It's also got Chloe Moretz in it who is one heck of a fine young actress.

Scrumpy

Quote from: SG on January 20, 2011, 08:22:18 AM

I can also thoroughly recommend this one. Very good film.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.