watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 06/10/23...

Started by WhiteJC, October 06, 2023, 12:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

USMNT legend Clint Dempsey reveals he smashed a window and had to have surgery on his hand after Roy Hodgson told him he wasn't in Fulham's Europa League semifinal starting XI

Clint Dempsey was left furious after not making the team to face Hamburg
    Dempsey, a USMNT legend, made 232 appearances during his time with Fulham

USMNT legend Clint Dempsey revealed Fulham's lineup once led to him suffering a broken hand out of anger.

While speaking on an episode of CBS Sports' 'Kickin It', Dempsey told the story of how he punched a window in the locker room after being told he was not starting in a Europa League game for Fulham.

'It was a Europa League game, and normally when players come back from injury that were in the starting XI, once they proved that they were fit and played as a sub and played well or whatever, then they got into the team again,' Dempsey began.

'So they call me up before the game against Juventus at home and they're like, "oh your gonna be starting." I'm like, "yeah I know, that's what normally happens when you're in the starting lineup. You come back, you should be starting." And I get there and it's like, "oh your not gonna be starting now," and I'm like, "huh?"'

Dempsey went on to correct himself and state that it was actually the semifinal against Hamburg that Fulham had played after facing Juventus.

Clint Dempsey recently told the story of how he injured his hand punching a window at Fulham

He went on to mention the incident led to him pulling off an iconic celebration after the injury

He then described the moment his manager at the time, Roy Hodgson, told him that he was no longer in the starting lineup for the game.

'And he's [Hodgson] like, "Ya know mate it's not like you've been pulling up any trees lately," and I'm like, "what the f*** do you mean? That goal versus Juventus that was a giant Red Oak. Like it's not like I haven't been doing anything."

'"When other players come in here from being in the starting lineup, they go back into the team, why is that not the same situation with me? You think I'm just gonna be good soldier? Y'all got me f***ed up."'

'So I go out to the locker room and this is where I f***ed up. I'm like, "you can't tell me that there's 11 of you motherf***ers better than me," and then I said boom,' he added, while performing a punching motion.

Dempsey, a USMNT legend, made 232 appearances during his time with Fulham's squad

And I hit through this window that's like plated and I pulled my hand out and I said, "s***, I f***ed up, I f***ed up,"' he continued, holding up his hand to show the scar from the incident.

Dempsey explained that he injured his hand so badly that he had to get surgery. However, he was lucky not to fully tear the ligaments in his hand or else he would have been sidelined for some time.

All together Dempsey made 232 appearances during his time with Fulham, including 14 in the Europa League.

During the 2009-10 season, Fulham beat Hamburg in the semifinal of the Europa League to set up a final against Atletico Madrid but ultimately couldn't lift the trophy, suffering a 2-1 defeat to the Spanish side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12595927/USMNT-legend-Clint-Dempsey-reveals-smashed-window-surgery-hand-Roy-Hodgson-told-wasnt-Fulhams-Europa-League-semifinal-starting-XI.html

WhiteJC

Wolves: Nuno could've signed £90m "monster" for just £9m in 2020
Nuno welcomed a host of talent to Molineux during his reign, however he missed out on one star who could've changed the club's trajectory.

Wolverhampton Wanderers have had the pleasure of welcoming an abundance of talent to the pitch of Molineux over the years, with some of their most prolific talents of the Premier League era coming through Nuno Espirito Santo's reign.

The Portuguese manager, along with renowned player agent Jorge Mendes, welcomed a host of flourishing talent from their home nation during his era to great effect as the Old Gold secured promotion to the Premier League in 2018.

From Ruben Neves to Joao Moutinho, and Ruben Vinagre to Diogo Jota, many Portuguese talents have found sanctuary at Molineux in recent years, and some not so much.

Goncalo Guedes, Pedro Goncalves and Vitinha are some examples of elite talent not able to adapt to life in England but showcase their quality elsewhere, with not every transfer resulting in a happy ending for club and player.

Wolves have had to kiss many frogs to sieve the gold from the sand in their Portuguese revolution, with Nuno testing the fortune of trial and error during his time at the club, however there was one top talent that the current Al-Ittihad boss could have struck gold by securing.

Back in 2020, the Old Gold were in good stead to capture the signature of a current Premier League star, as prior to his move to Fulham in 2022, midfielder Joao Palhinha was linked with a low-cost move to Wolves.

Did Wolves nearly sign Joao Palhinha?
As reported by Portuguese outlet O Jogo at the time, Wolves had a potential deal put on 'pause' for Palhinha, as CSKA Moscow announced their interest in the midfielder that was valued by Sporting CP at €15m (£13m).

O Jogo told the story of the Midlands side's desire to purchase the defensive player, who had just succeeded in a loan spell at SC Braga at the point of the report.

It was believed that Nuno's side were hoping to make 'significant sales' in order to add additional reinforcements to the fold at Molineux, with the presented proposal of the clubs interested said to be in the region of just €10m (£9m).

O Jogo went as far as to say that a deal with the Old Gold was 'very close', suggesting just how narrow the distance was between Wolves sealing a deal for the now in-demand star.

How much was Joao Palhinha worth at the time?
In the summer of 2020 when Wolves were circling the midfielder, Football Transfers logged his expected transfer value at around €6.4m (£5.5m), a price lower than anticipated as the Sacavenense academy product began to solidify his status in Portugal.

Prior to the 2020/21 campaign, the Lisbon-born whiz had secured 105 Primeira Liga appearances, with the majority of his experience coming from his consecutive loan spells at Braga.

With the likes of Neves and Moutinho already in his ranks, Nuno was more aware than most of the calibre of player he could lure from his homeland, making his missing out on Palhinha even more agonising with reference to how things have turned out for the 28-year-old.

What happened to Joao Palhinha?
At the point of his return to Sporting CP following his second spell with Braga, the Lions recognised the talent they had on their hands, and Palhinha became a firm member of the squad in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 campaigns.

It wasn't long before the Portuguese controller secured his move to the Premier League, but to Wolves' disappointment, it was to a more southern destination, as he penned a five-year deal with Fulham worth £20m last summer.

Following his arrival, journalist Pedro Sepulveda informed Sky Sports of the calibre of player that the Cottagers had obtained, describing him as one of Sporting's "main players" during their title-winning campaign of 2020/21.

It didn't take long for Marco Silva to realise just how fundamental spending £20m on Palhinha was, as the midfielder took centre stage in the Premier League and revealed himself as one of the best-performing talents in his position in England's top flight.

Lauded as a "defensive monster" by analyst Marcus Bring, the 28-year-old ranked as the best player among Europe's top five leagues over the past year with reference to his rate of tackles per 90, averaging a massive 4.23 per 90 for Fulham, via FBref.

In the Premier League last season, no player won more tackles per 90 than the former Wolves target, as he won an average of 2.40 per 90 to reinforce just how much of a presence he had asserted himself as at Craven Cottage.

How much is Joao Palhinha worth now?
Based on his consistent level of performance in the middle of the park, the Fulham hero was dubbed "the best" central midfielder that teammate Tom Cairney had "ever seen", rightful praise for a player that made such an impact in his first taste of Premier League action.

At the start of his journey with the Cottagers just last summer, Football Transfers valued Palhinha at just €11.4m (£9.8m), a figure similar to the supposed offer that Wolves had put on the table for the midfielder two years prior.

This summer, it became clear that in signing the towering asser, Silva had uncovered a gold mine, as interest came swarming in from elsewhere, forcing the Cottagers to slap an eye-watering £90m price tag on their star player.

On deadline day, everything looked set for the west London side to bid farewell to their hero after just one season, as Bayern Munich were reported to have agreed a fee in the region of £58m to sign him.

In the dying embers, the deal collapsed as the German champions ran out of time to secure his signature, leaving the Portuguese gem feeling dejected as he travelled back to England to rejoin his teammates at Craven Cottage after being denied the big move.

From an expected market value of £9.8m to sporting a price tag of ten times the amount a year later, Palhinha exceeded expectations during his first term in the Premier League, giving Wolves a feeling of what once could have been.

What could Joao Palhinha have offered to Wolves?
Aside from his innate ability to battle and orchestrate in the midfield, Nuno could have struck gold by signing the talent for just £9m back in 2020.

Taking into consideration Wolves' financial issues of late, and the offloading of quality this summer to generate profit, having a player as valuable as Palhinha in their ranks could have avoided the crisis they're currently in.

The signs were there that the former Sporting CP destroyer could be a top addition to Nuno's midfield, however not many could have predicted the success he would achieve in the Premier League after playing in only Portugal for the entirety of his career prior to the move.

Now valued by Fulham at £90m with plenty of potential suitors eyeing his progression from the summer's drama, Wolves truly missed out on one of the best by failing to sign Palhinha.

https://www.footballfancast.com/wolves-transfer-joao-palhinha-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Ex-Liverpool & Fulham man makes emphatic Burnley survival claim following Luton Town win
Former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy has stuck his neck on the line and has predicted Burnley WILL stay up this season.

It comes after Vincent Kompany's men got up and running with their first league win of the season on Tuesday night, overcoming fellow newly promoted side Luton Town 2-1.

It's been a challenging start to the campaign for the Clarets, who now sit 18th on four points from their opening seven games.

Despite the indifferent start, Murphy has been impressed with what he's seen of Kompany's men.

"I like them, I think they're best equipped of the promoted teams to stay up," he told talkSPORT.

"I was at the Forest game where they got a draw and they played well. They were composed and you can see what they're trying to do. There's an obvious plan.

"The argument is always the same, when you come out of the Championship you have to adapt, you can't play the same way, you're going to get done...

"I think he (Kompany) is learning on the job, he's never managed in the Premier League and a lot of those players have never played in the Premier League but I see some quality there and some composure and calm in the games I've seen.

"I don't see them and think 'wow, they've got no chance, they're headless, they're all over the place'. They play with a style, a possession-based philosophy that might just sneak them out."

Murphy added: "I don't see Burnley going long ball or adapting but I do see them varying their play at times. Vincent Kompany is not daft, he knows you can't only play one way.

"I think they've got enough, I do. In fact I'm going to go on a limb and say they will stay up. I think Wolves will go.

"The difference could be the fact they've got a striker in Lyle Foster. He's got three in six and he's missed a couple of games. He's a good player. He's strong, he's a workaholic.

"You know what it's like down there when teams are struggling for goals. They've also signed a lad called (Zeki) Amdouni who has beautiful balance, he's a dribbler, he gets them up the pitch.

"They will have games where they get done against the quality, but when you look at the teams they're up against like Bournemouth and Everton, I think they can do it. In fact they will do it."

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/ex-liverpool-fulham-man-makes-emphatic-burnley-survival-claim-following-luton-town-win-4359508

WhiteJC

Dempsey smashed window and needed hand surgery after being dropped for Europa League semi final
Clint Dempsey has lifted the lid on what really happened when Roy Hodgson dropped him for the Europa League semi-final on CBS' superb Kickin' It.

Several former Fulham stars – including Danny Murphy – have eluded to Dempsey causing some damage in the dressing room when he learned that Hodgson had picked Bobby Zamora ahead of him, but the American has confirmed that not only did he smash a window but he required surgery and still has a scar from the incident.

He told presenter Kate Abdo that Hodgson's attempts to justify his selection didn't go down particularly well:

"And he's like, "You know mate it's not like you've been pulling up any trees lately," and I'm like, "what the f*** do you mean? That goal versus Juventus that was a giant Red Oak. Like it's not like I haven't been doing anything.

When other players come in here from being in the starting line-up, they go back into the team, why is that not the same situation with me? You think I'm just gonna be good soldier? Y'all got me f***ed up."

So I go out to the locker room and this is where I f***ed up. I'm like, "you can't tell me that there's 11 of you motherf***ers better than me," and then I said boom. And I hit through this window that's like plated and I pulled my hand out and I said, "s***, I f***ed up, I f***ed up."

CBS have posted a clip on Twitter that shows Dempsey's sense of injustice remains undimmed thirteen years later.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/dempsey-smashed-window-and-needed-hand-surgery-after-being-dropped-for-europa-league-semi-final/

WhiteJC

It's time for Marco Silva to stand up and be counted

Alex Mackenzie says our gaffer faces a number of tough decisions in the coming weeks – and it could determine his future.

This week has been hard. It wasn't the result, nor the performance, Fulham wanted against the team they see as their fiercest rivals on Monday night. In hindsight, I'm not sure the fact that Fulham were favourites suits them in the slightest.

Our start this year has been so different to last term. In October 2022, Fulham had a buzz about them. With second season syndrome a term now starting to be murmured, the team will be looking at each other in the dressing room and searching for character. Things have changed. And this is where Marco Silva must step into control the situation and dig a little deeper. It will be hard to play swashbuckling football and tack up a record-breaking wins tally this time around. So, a reality check is needed. Adaptability will be the key.

A change in tactics

The squad is no doubt missing a focal point up top. There's clearly a different strategy being put forward by Marco without Mitrovic. And this will take time to come to fruition. Mitrovic could not only score but take the ball down and bring teammates into play. Raul and Vinicius can do neither of those things as well as Mitro yet. It's quite clear that Raul is more of a ball-to-feet kind of player; he's not winning the physical battles, so the team can no longer just knock it forward and expect it to stick. Added precision is also going to be necessary.

The play will be likely be much quicker and large spells of possession in the final third will not be as frequent. Playing on the counter against teams may well be a more common feature. There is a new style we need to understand, and a mentality change as well. Marco will need to use every bit of his tactical nous to figure out how to get the team firing and solid with a new ethos.

It's highly plausible that this team will look different come the end of the season. Many of us will want the familiar line up and to reward the players for the success of last season. But Marco must have plans beyond what we are currently seeing. He's testing players and their capability. Making them all compete internally. For example, Raul being taken off on minute 52 and being replaced with Vinicius was clearly man management from Marco. Not playing well, Raul was not a happy figure. I could be mistaken, but there was a sign of aggression for being subbed that I welcome from a player who, in my view, showed glimpses of the kind of player he can be before being subbed against Chelsea. It bodes well for an easier run of upcoming games.

Tough choices

Tim Ream's inclusion is another tactical element Marco needs to be brave about. Ream is a talented player, a fan favourite and loyal servant through thick and thin. But is it time to faze him out slowly and move to Bassey or Tosin as partner to Diop when they're fit? Sadly, his decline is inevitable with his age and slowing pace. Ream has proved his point at the top level, and before it gets late, and embarrassing, Marco could step in and talk about the need to share the responsibility of his centre-back role.

Ream was dispossessed five times in total all of last season, with not one error leading to goal. This season he has two errors leading to goals and we've only just hit October. The defence can't be as creatively expressive without the goal-scoring muscle to back it up; Fulham will need to be tighter at the back when scoring fewer goals, particularly against weaker teams. Ream may need to be made aware that his position is not a birthright.

Marco may also look to change the formation and become less predictable for opponents after last year. Palhinha, Reed and Pereira are the preferred midfield three. But in time that could change. I could see Pereira playing out wide, and Iwobi coming into the middle over time. I could see Iwobi replacing Reed altogether. Perhaps even Willian could drop into a deeper role and sit alongside Joao. Much like Tom Cairney has shown he can do after playing as a 10 and on the wing earlier in his career. It might be plausible to bring in Vini over a wide player and play with two strikers. The point is, Marco should not be looking to make drastic changes, but he must be open minded when the fluidity is lacking.

Stylistic changes

Fulham under Marco have had success crossing the ball a lot more than most teams, and the full-backs provide the width needed to shape attacks. This season the team has produced 113 crosses in total, which is the ninth highest in the league. Last season we were second only to Liverpool across the whole season with 769. Crossing without the big man is less likely to be effective, hence why we might see it less and why we're further down in the crossing rankings already. The tactic this year may be to use the width earlier on in the attack and create space for runners inside. Or even trying to play from back to front through the lines, rather than having sustained possession before crossing. The general evidence suggests working the ball into the box is more often the plan of action.

These are options for Marco Silva to explore in time, but these are the moments where good managers earn their stripes, and Marco knows the expectations of the team will need to be managed. Composure against the teams we can beat will be crucial. The underlying numbers suggest that the current system will need tweaking to give Fulham added success off the back of the triumph that was last year. I'm sure new signings are being worked on for January and next summer already. But Marco can focus on the players we have now and bring the best out of them by successfully shifting style.

Fulham must make sure they keep calm and carry on – there's still plenty to be achieved. The club will build towards a new 'familiar' line up and style. All in good time, no need to panic just yet. In Marco we hope we can trust.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-10-05-its-time-for-marco-silva-to-stand-up-and-be-counted/#google_vignette

WhiteJC

Former Wolves, Fulham, Burnley and Sheffield United star lands first management job
It's his first steps into management after replacing a former Premier League boss who boasts nearly 700 games in management.

Former Wolves midfielder Kevin McDonald has taken his first steps into management after being appointed manager at a League Two club.

The 34-year-old joined Bradford City on a two-year deal this summer, and just three months into his stay, he is now the interim manager of the Bantams. Bradford decided to part ways with former Premier League boss Mark Hughes following a poor start to the season.

Bradford - who suffered defeat to Carlisle United in the League Two play-offs last-year - are currently 18th in the league standings, and suffered a 2-1 defeat to fellow strugglers Tranmere Rovers.

Hughes' dismissal on Wednesday has meant that Bradford have had to act quickly, and so they've appointed McDonald as their caretaker boss. It is his first management role, and his first game of his tenure is against Swindon Town on Saturday (October 7).

A club statement read: "The process of appointing a new permanent manager is already underway, with an announcement to be made in due course.

"Kevin McDonald will now take temporary charge of the men's first team in a caretaker player-manager role, and will be assisted by Mark Trueman, commencing with this weekend's visit of Swindon Town."

McDonald was at Wolves for three seasons, and made 126 appearances, scoring eight goals and registering 19 assists following his move from Sheffield United. He was a key part of the side managed by Kenny Jackett that won the League One title, featuring 41 times in the 2013/14 season.

He was ever-present in Wolves' first season back in the Championship, and then made 33 appearances in the following campaign. McDonald moved to Fulham in the summer of 2016, and was a two-time promotion winner at Craven Cottage, making 128 appearances, scoring six goals and earning five assists.

His other clubs in his career include Dundee where he started, as well as Burnley where he was a Championship play-off winner, and Exeter City where he was last season.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/wolves/kevin-mcdonald-bradford-city-wolves-fulham-burnley-sheffield-united-mark-hughes-4360708

WhiteJC

"An enriching experience" – Coach impressed by Fulham after "intense week" behind the scenes
Fulham's structure is today highlighted by the Portuguese press, as the club received a visit from a compatriot of Marco Silva this week.

Outlet O Jogo features a story explaining that manager Ricardo Estrelado, who's finishing the UEFA A course, has just spent a week with The Whites.

The coach spoke to the website and told more about the visit, claiming he managed to learn a lot with the Fulham boss.

"I've taken advantage of this time, when I'm not managing any teams, to do an internship and deepen my knowledge, while at the same time waiting for a project that meets my expectations," said Estrelado.

Estrelado claims he could see Silva's work from close, and thanked him and the Fulham staff for the great reception at the club.

"It was an intense week, with two games, where I was able to watch the detailed work of Fulham's staff, led by Marco Silva. It was an enriching experience, not only because of the sharing of ideas, methods, plans, analyses and strategies, but also because of the welcoming way I was received by the whole group."

Despite the great job done by Marco Silva at Fulham since his arrival, the Whites didn't have such a good start in the Premier League, and currently stand in 13th place after seven games.

Following the 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Craven Cottage last weekend, the club now prepare for another home clash, this time against Sheffield United, who only managed to win one point in the league so far. That's certainly a great chance for Fulham to start a better sequence of results.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/enriching-experience-coach-impressed-fulham-intense-week-behind-scenes/

WhiteJC

Sheffield United midfielder could now join John Egan in being injured – Heckingbottom
Sheffield United are facing yet more injury problems after Paul Heckingbottom confirmed a number of issues ahead of Fulham this weekend.

The big concern is John Egan, who Heckingbottom has confirmed will be missing for some time with what looks like a serious injury. The Irishman is set to see a specialist tomorrow, according to the Blades boss.

However, there is yet more bad news in the form of new signing Tom Davies.

Tom Davies now injured for Sheffield United
Speaking in his press conference today (as relayed by Yorkshire Live), Heckingbottom admitted one or two players are struggling, and Davies is one.

"One of the ones we are talking about [injury doubt]. Has been working hard with him day by day but he's one of the ones who is a doubt", Heckingbottom said.

Sheffield United News View: Can't catch a break
We know it's not just Sheffied United who are struggling with injuries this year but it does seem to be a never-ending cycle of bad news for the Blades players.

Egan being missing is a massive blow but Davies, too, could also be a pivotal loss for this weekend's game with Fulham.

The former Everton man looked sharp when he came on last weekend at West Ham and with results not going our way, there is every reason to believe that Davies might have featured from the start this weekend.

However, it looks like he's going to be yet another player to miss out through injury. As it stands, United have a host of problems including Davies and the aforementioned Egan.

Rhys Norrington-Davies remains out, while George Baldock, Max Lowe, Ben Osborn and Daniel Jebbison are all injured as well.

The Blades probably need this international break for once. A time to rest up players, regroup as a squad, and then go again in November.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/match-preview/sheffield-united-midfielder-could-now-join-john-egan-in-being-injured-heckingbottom/

WhiteJC

De Fougerolles wins senior Canada call-up
Fulham defender Luc De Fougerolles has been named in the senior Canada squad for their next month's friendly against Japan.

The versatile 17 year-old, who starred on his first outing with the Fulham first team during the Summer Series in America, was born in London to a Canadian father. He has shone since joining the Motspur Park academy aged eight and won last season's scholar of the year award having consistently impressed at both under-18 and under-21 level.

He joins a 23-man squad picked by interim head coach Mauro Biello which includes Milan Borjan, Jonathan David, Alphonso Davies, Stephen Eustaquio, Alistair Johnston, Ismael Kone and Cyle Larin. The friendly against Japan in Niigata will be Canada's first international since the departure of John Herdman and precedes two crucial CONCACAF Nations League matches in November that double as Copa American qualifying fixtures.

De Fougerolles told Fulham's official website this afternoon:

"It feels great to be called up to any international age group, but it makes it extra special that it's the senior team, and it will be a great experience for me. It's always been a dream to play internationally at any level, and to achieve it so young is an added bonus which will hopefully allow me to play for a longer period of time and make the most out of the experiences. I'm really looking forward to going away and playing with different players, and play styles which should benefit me."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/de-fougerolles-wins-senior-canada-call-up/

WhiteJC

8 big talking points as Paul Heckingbottom speaks ahead of Fulham v Sheffield United - John Egan, injuries, Tom Davies and VAR
Sheffield United boss Paul Heckingbottom has been speaking to the media ahead of his side's Premier League match against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Sheffield United make a third trip to the capital in a matter of weeks this Saturday, with Fulham the latest side the Blades will face in their attempts at picking up a first win of the season. United have one point on the board, so far, thanks to a draw against Everton at the Lane but as yet a victory has eluded manager Paul Heckingbottom and his squad.

The boss has been speaking to the media ahead of their latest journey to London and he has been offering his view on the Liverpool/VAR uproar as well as issues closer to home, including the extent of the injury picked up by John Egan and how close some of his other players are from gettig back into the side following their own injuries.

Heckingbottom also spoke about Tom Davies and the softly-softly approach that has been taken in getting him ready for a potential regular starting place, as well as the impact of Oli McBurnie, what he learned from last week's defeat to West Ham and his thoughts on Fulham.

1. John Egan and injuries

John Egan came off injured in last week's defeat to West Ham and the early signs are that it's not good news. The captain is to see a specialist on Friday to find out the extent of the injury but "he's going to be out for a while," said Heckingbottom. It's been far from plain sailing on the injury front and it's clearly a source of frustration for the manager. "Another one, I don't know what we've done wrong, who we've upset but yes, it's another big injury for us." He added: "It's a blow, I can't deny that. We want everyone fit and we'd have the options for the starting XI, and options from the bench. We haven't got that but then that's an opportunity for others and that's how we have to address it, that's how we've always looked at it and that will continue how we do things."

2. Returning players

There are some other bumps and bruises to contend with but Heckingbottom wasn't going to elaborate further, though he did have positive news on the injury front. "We have had Rhian [Brewster] obviously come back and he is closer and closer [to being fully fit], the other boys who have been out just making steps towards it. I think we'll have one or two close to being back after the international break. When I say back, I mean back with the group." Among those players currently out are George Baldock, Rhys Norrington-Davies, John Fleck, Ben Osborn, Will Osula and Daniel Jebbison.

3. Tom Davies' closer to being fully up to speed

Heckingbottom was impressed by what he saw from Tom Davies when the former Everton midfielder came off the bench on Saturday at West Ham. Davies had had a lengthy spell on the sidelines and United have taken their time in making sure he was match fit before giving him a start. The indications are that moment might not be too far away, offering another option in the middle of the park. "We've been very patient, we've been working hard with him, day-by-day, week-by-week and you can see his levels getting better and better to the point where he comes on and has a big impact on the game. It's [having players available for] selection but also having options in the game. We haven't had that luxury with subs coming on to the level we want."

4. Positives to take from last week at West Ham

Heckingbottom maintains there were signs of progress in the defeat to West Ham last week but it all came in the second half when it was perhaps a little too late. United did improve after the break but they were already 2-0 down, however it's that which the boss says he wants to build on. He said: "The intent was there but we were too easy to play against in the first half and in the second half, everyone will point to the fact, and we had these discussions here, much more of an attacking theta, more attempts on goal the games played much more in West Ham's hal but that's because we defended properly. It was a good game for us to get a real strong message out of."

5. The importance of Oli McBurnie

United are a different team with McBurnie in it - they defend better at both ends of the pitch and he has become a leader in the squad. It's certainly not gone unnoticed by Heckingbottom but he reiterated the importance of being able to have subs to shake things up. "I still think he's as good a player as any at the top end of the pitch when he gets good quality," said the boss. "In terms of how we defend set-plays, yeah very good, defending the other way I think you could see away at Spurs how good he was again physically against some top centre backs. But again, the game is 100 minutes and then he needs the support from the bench. We are not going to do it with 11, we are going to do it with every player and each player has their own different way."

6. Blocking out the noise

Heckingbottom admits he has been taking no notice of any criticism or indeed backing from anywhere outide the club, in the media particularly, but he did offer a subtle hint that people shouldn't be looking at results alone when they are analysing United's season so far. "I think you always have to be looking at your approach to fixtures, and every manager will tell you you have to be wary of results because that's what puts you under pressure or not," he said. "It's a lot deeper than that. We have had to do a lot of work this summer and will continue to do a lot of work so we are nowhere near where we want to be, we know that, I understand that."

7. On Fulham and the challenge ahead

The Cottagers have picked up two wins and two draws so far in their seven matches. He's not likely to say anything else, but the Blades boss is expecting a tough game against a team who look like they'll pick up enough points here and there without going on a run. "They have not changed their approach since they went up, he said. " Subtle changes more around personnel because they have gradually improved the squad. They were very strong in the Championship when they went up, improved and did really well in the Premier League and tried to improve again this season as well. We pretty much know the tactical set-up with how it's going to be but it's a good team with some good players."

8. VAR and Premier League officials

Heckingbottom stated his frustration a few weeks ago about match officials and in the wake of the Liverpool offside storm centred around a mistake by the VAR, the United boss was asked for his thoughts having previously made his thoughts clear on decision-making. "It's two seperate things," he said. "I want consistency, everyone wants consistency, the incident with Liverpool, it's a goal everyone can see it's a goal, the powers that be realised after a while. Can something be implemented where there can be an intervention there to make it right?"

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/8-big-talking-points-as-paul-heckingbottom-speaks-ahead-of-fulham-v-sheffield-united-john-egan-injuries-tom-davies-and-var-4361614

WhiteJC

Fantasy Premier League tips: The best 11 players to sign for your FPL team in Gameweek 8
Gameweek 8 sees a huge clash between title rivals Arsenal and Manchester City on Sunday, while Ange Postecoglou's high flying Tottenham take on Luton in the early kick-off on Saturday

Following on from a week of fallen giants, VAR controversy and the season's first double gameweek, the eighth round of Premier League fixtures will soon be upon us – meaning another Fantasy Premier League (FPL) deadline is fast approaching.

After this weekend, there will be two weeks before the next set of Premier League fixtures as players suit up for national team duty.

For some, team injuries or a poor start to the FPL season could make the upcoming international break a good time to activate the first of two wildcards, which would allow for unlimited changes ahead of the following week's deadline.

But first, Gameweek 7 begins with Tottenham's Saturday lunch-time trip to Luton, followed by four 3pm kick-offs before Crystal Palace host Nottingham Forest in the evening.

Sunday brings three big match-ups between teams currently in the Premier League's top eight, with Brighton and Liverpool both looking to bounce back from crushing defeats last weekend. West Ham then take on Newcastle in a day headlined by a heavyweight clash of title rivals Arsenal and Manchester City at the Emirates.

That latter showdown, as well as suspensions and possible injuries to key players involved in it, has seen us largely look elsewhere this week, with more favourable fixtures for several other big hitters.

This week's FPL deadline is at 11am BST on Saturday 7 October:
Gameweek 8 fixtures

Saturday 7 October

Luton vs Tottenham (12.30pm BST)
    Burnley vs Chelsea
    Everton vs Bournemouth
    Fulham vs Sheffield United
    Manchester United vs Brentford
    Crystal Palace vs Nottingham Forest (5.30pm BST)

3pm kick-off unless otherwise stated

Sunday 8 October

Brighton vs Liverpool
    West Ham vs Newcastle
    Wolves vs Aston Villa
    Arsenal vs Manchester City (4.30pm BST)

2pm kick-off unless otherwise stated

Bernd Leno (Fulham)
Though he returned just a point in Fulham's loss to Chelsea on Monday night, Leno remains the top-scoring goalkeeper in FPL this season and faces a kind home fixture against bottom-dwelling Sheffield United, who have scored a joint league-low five goals in seven games so far.

Leno has also racked up 29 saves in his opening fixtures of this season. While he is ranked sixth among top-flight goalkeepers for that stat, the former Arsenal shot-stopper has delivered more clean sheets (three) than any of the others above him – suggesting he could provide the perfect mix of the two metrics that most commonly earn FPL points in his position.

Fulham's fixtures immediately following the international break could be a cause for concern, though: in Tottenham, Brighton, Manchester United and Aston Villa, the Cottagers face three of the current top six.

Price: £4.7m Points: 36 Gameweek 8 fixture: Sheffield United (h)

Kieran Trippier (Newcastle)
Since scraping through their opening four Premier League fixtures with just one win, Newcastle have begin to find form with three league wins on the trot – and one particular beneficiary of that revival has been Trippier.

The England right-back is an integral part of a Magpies backline that has kept five consecutive clean sheets in all competitions. He has added to those returns with four assists and eight bonus points in league wins against Brentford, Sheffield United and Burnley.

Trippier also put in a top display in his side's Champions League battering of PSG on Wednesday evening, chipping in with the assist for Sean Longstaff's 50th minute goal that took the game out of the Parisians' reach.

West Ham up next will pose a sterner test defensively than Newcastle's recent league matches, with David Moyes' side having scored in each of their games so far this season, but Trippier's threat going forward makes him a shoe-in on current form.

For those looking for cheaper alternatives in the Newcastle defence, Fabian Schar and Dan Burn – both midweek goal scorers against PSG, it should be noted – will each set you back about £2.0m less than their slightly more regularly attacking team-mate.

Price: £6.8m Points: 43 Gameweek 8 fixture: West Ham (a)

Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace)
His thundering strike that sealed the win against Manchester United last time out may have rocketed Andersen to the top of the FPL defender rankings, but it isn't the (sole) reason the Palace centre-back makes the cut here.

Roy Hodgson's men rank joint-first in the league with three clean sheets so far, as well as being among the top five defensive sides for goals (seven), big chances and shots on target conceded. Against a Forest outfit with eight goals in seven games – and helped by a run of Burnley, Everton and Luton from Gameweek 11 onwards – those numbers could continue to be among the best in the top flight.

Andersen's goal-scoring threat does, of course, add to his appeal: the big Dane has netted two of Palace's seven goals so far this season (also a joint league-high for defenders), and is an ever-present threat from set pieces in particular.

Price: £4.8m Points: 45 Gameweek 8 fixture: Nottingham Forest (h)

Pedro Porro (Tottenham Hotspur)
Between this weekend and the end of November (Gameweek 8-13), Spurs embark on an appealing fixture run that starts off with fixtures against three sides – Luton, Fulham and Crystal Palace – that have scored one goal per game or less so far.

That statistic alone suggests Ange Postecoglou's backline is worthy of investment in some way, and Porro could provide a key differential to the higher-owned options of Cristian Romero and Destiny Udogie (both £4.8m).

At the time of writing, Romero and Udogie are owned by 15.7 per cent and 18.6 per cent of FPL managers, respectively, compared to Porro's 6.7 per cent – meaning points for the right-back could propel your team further up the rankings.

Despite that low ownership, Porro has matched Udogie's attacking output with two assists, while scoring higher in terms of expected goal involvement (xGI) and unleashing nine shots to the latter's one.

Meanwhile, the Spaniard's one yellow card so far also means he is less likely to face a one-game suspension (for receiving five yellows) in the future. In contrast, Udogie has committed more fouls (16) than any other Premier League player this season, racking up three yellow cards, while Romero has two.

Price: £5.0m Points: 26 Gameweek 8 fixture: Luton (a)

Heung-min Son (Tottenham Hotspur)
The upcoming fixtures also look kind from an attacking standpoint for Tottenham, meaning Son gets the nod.

Spurs' new skipper is classed as a midfielder in FPL but, in the absence of Harry Kane and patchy form of Richarlison, he has led the line on several occasions this season, bagging six goals so far – all in his last four games.

Postecoglou confirmed that Son's early substitution in the dramatic win over Liverpool was just a precaution, meaning the South Korean should be fit to start against Luton in this weekend's early kick-off.

In the event that changes prior to Saturday's deadline, fellow forward Dejan Kulusevski (also a midfielder in FPL) could provide a cost-saving option, coming in at just £7.0m despite creating a league-leading 16 chances in the last four weeks.

Price: £9.3m Points: 51 Gameweek 8 fixture: Luton (a)

James Maddison (Tottenham Hotspur)
Luton may have notched their first win of the season against Everton last Saturday, but their record of 14 goals conceded could be about to get worse when Tottenham come knocking.

The Premier League newcomers have let in that many despite facing none of the current top five, while second-placed Spurs have scored at least two in every game this season.

A key part of the success of 'Angeball' has been Maddison, who has started off his debut season in north London with ease, grabbing two goals and four assists to play a direct hand in over a third of his new side's 17 goals so far.

Both of the former Leicester playmaker's goals came against the two teams (Bournemouth and Burnley) sat just below Luton in the table, suggesting he could be in for further returns against another of top flight struggler.

Price: £8.0m Points: 41 Gameweek 8 fixture: Luton (a)

Pedro Neto (Wolves)
Wolves may be off to a slow start down in 15th, but their pacy winger Pedro Neto has delivered goals or assists in each of his last five matches – a run that has included matches against Liverpool and Manchester City.

He faces Aston Villa next, who come into their Sunday afternoon clash riding a high from their 6-1 demolition of Brighton last weekend. However, Unai Emery's side have conceded nine of their 11 goals this season away from home, which could bode well for Neto at the Molinieux.

After the international break, Wolves also face Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Fulham in a five-week stretch, making Neto a promising option beyond this week alone.

Price: £5.7m Points: 38 Gameweek 8 fixture: Aston Villa (h)

Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
Salah registered his first blank of the season in Liverpool's loss to Spurs last time out.

However, the Reds were of course playing with 10 and then nine men for much of the match, and Jurgen Klopp elected to hook his star forward after 73 minutes to bring on reinforcements following Diogo Jota's red card.

Until that point, the Egypt international had delivered three goals and four assists in the league this season, and Liverpool will undoubtedly come out in full force against Brighton on Sunday following their recent misfortune.

When they do so, Salah will almost certainly be heavily involved in much of their attacking play – and he also has penalty-taking duties as an added bonus, if the Seagull's poor defensive record (14 goals conceded, the worst outside the league's bottom four) wasn't enticing enough.

Price: £12.6m Points: 44 Gameweek 8 fixture: Brighton (a)

Jarrod Bowen (West Ham)
If there's one man likely to bust Newcastle's cleansheet when the Magpies come down to London, it's Bowen.

The Hammers star has five goals already this season (just one less than his entire haul in 2022-23), as well as an assist, and has blanked just twice in the league, against City and Chelsea.

Eddie Howe's side may make things difficult for Bowen and co, but six of West Ham's next nine fixtures after this weekend score a two (out of five) on the FPL fixture difficulty rating, hinting that more points could be on the horizon.

Even this weekend, prospective buyers can be buoyed by the fact that the Hammers have found the net at least once in each of their seven league games so far, with one of Bowen's goals coming in the 3-1 defeat to Liverpool two weeks ago.

An honourable mention here goes to Bryan Mbeumo (£6.8m). Brentford's stand-in striker and penalty taker in the absence of Ivan Toney, Mbeumo's attacking output may have faultered in recent weeks since the four goals in three games he began the season with, but a match against a spiraling Manchester United side with the second-worst defensive record in the top flight could get him firing again.

Price: £7.3m Points: 48 Gameweek 8 fixture: Newcastle (h)

Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)
Three goals and two assists in his last fixture to go along with his existing tally of one goal and four assists.

Ahead of a run of fixtures against Wolves, West Ham, Luton, Nottingham Forest and Fulham, who have all conceded double digit tallies of goals already, not much more needs to be said about Watkins' credentials.

He is playing in a free-flowing Aston Villa side whose 18 goals so far this campaign is the joint-highest in the top flight, and the England international will surely bag at least a few more himself over the next month and a half.

Price: £8.0m Points: 48 Gameweek 8 fixture: Newcastle (h)

Julian Alvarez (Manchester City)
"No Erling Haaland?!", you may be thinking. With the reigning Golden Boot winner sporting an FPL ownership of just over 91 per cent – by far the highest of any player in the game – you may be right.

But hear me out.

Firstly, not many fixtures will prove tougher than the one facing the three-time defending Premier League champions this weekend.

Haaland (£14.1m) does have eight goals already this season, but he emerged empty-handed from City's only other encounter with a team from last year's top four, as Newcastle kept him out in week two.

Their upcoming opponents, Arsenal, have conceded just six goals so far, a tally bettered only by Pep Guardiola's squad themselves.

So, in one of the few weeks where it may not sting to not captain the towering Norwegian, enter Julian Alvarez.

City's World Cup winner has three goals to Haaland's eight, but five assists to his fellow forward's one. Alvarez was also his side's only goal-scorer in arguably their two trickiest matches so far this season: last weekend's shock loss to Wolves and the aforementioned game against Newcastle, where he proved the difference maker in a 1-0 win.

He also continued that streak of scoring at crucial times by putting City back in the lead against RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Now, Haaland will almost certainly outscore Alvarez over the course of a whole season. But the Argentine has delivered more points than his teammate in the three weeks since City's 5-1 drubbing of Fulham, also takes free-kicks (of which he has scored a few), and – crucially, to allow for other cash-heavy options like Son and Salah – is less than half the price.

If you already own Haaland it may be a risk to sell him, therefore do so only at your own peril: he did score against Arsenal in both league fixtures last year.

However, for those few without City's main man, or those risk-taking managers looking to switch things up, Alvarez could prove a handy differential despite already being in nearly a third of all FPL squads.

Price: £7.0m Points: 46 Gameweek 8 fixture: Arsenal (a)

https://inews.co.uk/sport/fantasy-football/fantasy-premier-league-trips-best-players-fpl-team-gameweek-2661727?ITO=newsnow

WhiteJC

Berhalter: Robinson left off USMNT roster over injury concern
Antonee Robinson's surprise absence from the U.S. men's national team roster boils down to precaution against injury.

That's the word from Gregg Berhalter, who said that he left the Fulham left back — normally a written-in-ink starter for the USMNT — off the 23-player squad called in for upcoming friendlies against Germany and Ghana out of a sense of caution.

"Antonee, he's dealing with this pubalgia," Berhalter told reporters on Thursday. "It's sort of like the onset of a sports hernia type of thing."

This season, Robinson has appeared in eight of a possible nine matches for Fulham, playing the full 90 minutes seven times. Additionally, he went 81 minutes in the USMNT's September win over Uzbekistan before not appearing in a victory against Oman four days later.

Pubalgia "is considered an overuse injury" per the National Institute of Health, and causes groin and adductor pain. It can require surgery if other treatments fail to allow the inflammation to heal.

Within the squad called in for October, Berhalter has no shortage of choice in Robinson's stead. Sergiño Dest has played a chunk of this season on the left for PSV, while Kristoffer Lund and DeJuan Jones are full-time options. Joe Scally seems comfortable on either side, and Kevin Paredes — listed as a forward by U.S. Soccer — could provide an attack-first profile if needed.

Robinson still 'a big part' of USMNT plans
Based on Berhalter's comments, all parties have been trying to make sure Robinson has the chance to heal without going under the knife.

"He got injections before last camp," explained Berhalter. "He's still struggling [with] that a little bit and we want to get ahead of it. "When I'm looking towards [CONCACF] Nations League, when we're looking towards the winter period in England — they don't have a break — I think this was an opportunity where he needs to cool this down, because he does have inflammation in that area, and he's in some pain.

"So we want to resolve that as quickly as possible, because he's a big part of what we're doing."

Robinson and Fulham face Sheffield United on Sunday in the Premier League before getting a two-week break due to the international window. Whether the Cottagers rest Robinson remains to be seen, and after just one win in the club's last six, Marco Silva may feel some pressure to ask the 26-year-old to play one more game before some time off.

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2023/10/05/usmnt-antonee-robinson-injury-berhalter-fulham/