more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 10/10/23...

Started by WhiteJC, October 10, 2023, 12:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Our brilliant Bobby dazzler
It was my first Fulham game of the season on Saturday. As a student in Sussex, I've found getting back to London and then affording a ticket for the games at Craven Cottage to be more of a challenge than I expected. I wasn't successful for the derby against Chelsea – which seemed like a blessing in disguise on Monday night – but watching the Whites eventually overpower Sheffield United was very pleasing.

On my walk down Stevenage Road to get in via the Hammersmith End turnstile superstition dictates I have to use, I met a young boy who was telling his friend that Bobby Decordova-Reid was his favourite player. The lad couldn't have been more than six but his analysis was spot on: 'Bobby runs all game, can play in lots of positions and scores great goals'. If I had a replica shirt this year, the Jamaican's name would adorn it. Saturday showed why.

The man who kickstarted our season with the only goal of the game at Goodison Park got his opportunity to start on the right wing instead of Harry Wilson and made his chance count. We know from watching him fill in at right back so superbly last season that Decordova-Reid will do his defensive duties, but he's always been a forward-thinking footballer – and memorably managed 21 goals for Bristol City in the season that Slavisa Jokanovic guided Fulham back to the Premier League via the play-offs. That centre forward's instinct almost saw him opening the scoring from the first attack, with a near post run well watched by Auston Trusty, and he popped up all over the pitch in first half that Marco Silva's side dominated.

It felt, as though, it might be another frustrating afternoon when the Whites wasted a whole heap of scoring opportunities. That was until Decordova-Reid galloped onto a glorious pass from Andreas Pereira after a brilliant bit of link-up play from Carlos Vinicius and showed everyone how to finish. He stroked his second goal of the season past West Foderingham with such confidence and celebrated wildly right in front of me in the Hammersmith End.

Decordova-Reid has quietly crept past the 150 appearance mark for Fulham – having matched Harrison Reed's achievement as a substitute on Monday night but his reliability should make him an automatic selection. Like another cult hero of the Cottage connoisseurs, Chris Baird, Bobby is a victim of his own versatility as he's a terrific option in any number of positions, a manager's dream, but often overlooked as a starter. His goal should guarantee that he keeps his place beyond the international break – but, as a peerless professional, Bobby won't be looking beyond two crucial CONCACAF Nations' League matches in Grenada and Haiti for the Reggae Boyz.

He might get overshadowed by the hype surrounding some of the bigger names, but our humble hero deserves plenty more recognition. I'm sure it isn't just me and the lad from Stevenage Road who love watching Fulham's Bobby dazzler – one of the top flight's most unsung heroes.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/our-brilliant-bobby-dazzler/

WhiteJC

'Fantastic fit for Liverpool': BBC pundit backs 'very good player' to play with Szoboszlai & Mac Allister
Robbie Savage has backed Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool to sign Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha to play alongside Dominik Szoboszlai and Alexis Mac Allister at Anfield.

There was a lot of talk in the summer about Joao Palhinha heading for the exit door, with the player seemingly in Bayern Munich colours, on the verge of signing, before a deal fell through right at the last minute.

That then resulted in the 28-year-old signing a new contract at Craven Cottage, and despite that, Robbie Savage thinks that Joao Palhinha would be a 'fantastic fit' for Liverpool in January, as he told BBC Radio 5 Live Sport.

Manchester City have lost back-to-back Premier League games for the first time since 2018, which has left many questioning how the title race is now going to pan out, even though only eight games have been played.

With Liverpool sitting fourth in the table, fans are hopeful that the team can challenge for the main crown, with Gary Neville claiming that they are a 'Declan Rice-type' of player away from doing so.

Even Alan Shearer himself stated that he isn't changing his mind about the Premier League title race, with Savage sharing his thoughts on Palhinha moving to Anfield.

Palhinha to Liverpool?
"He's a very good player," said Savage. "He was going to Bayern and the move fell through. Fantastic player.

"Liverpool have transitioned well in those areas, there is more dynamism in there, Szoboszlai and Mac Allister are good acquisitions, recruitment has been good and I think that has gone under the radar really.

"But I think Palhinha would be a fantastic fit for Liverpool."

Liverpool to sign another midfielder in January?
If the Reds are still in and around it, regarding the Premier League title race, then it will be interesting if the powers that be at the club sign another midfield player in the winter.

The answer is probably no. Added with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai, who have made strong starts to the season, the finger will be pointed towards Wataru Endo and Ryan Gravenberch to step up and provide that much-needed defensive bite in midfield.

Those four, added with a few of the young guns, will be seen as enough cover and quality to try and push this Liverpool side up a level again this season, even if fans think a bonafide number six is needed.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2023/10/09/fantastic-fit-for-liverpool-bbc-pundit-backs-very-good-player-to-play-with-szoboszlai-mac-allister/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham and West Ham star to battle no-nonsense ex Crystal Palace man for Rangers job
Rangers are set to hold interviews with a shortlist of four managerial candidates and two of those names are familiar faces for London clubs.

Former Fulham and West Ham legend Scott Parker is in contention for the vacant Rangers job alongside ex Crystal Palace and Millwall defender Kevin Muscat.

The Glasgow giants have now whittled down a long list of candidates, which had included ex Chelsea manager Frank Lampard, to just four names ahead of crunch talks in London this week. Parker and Muscat are set to compete alongside Phillipe Clement and Pascal Jensen for the managerial hot seat after Michael Beale was sacked earlier this month.

GlasgowWorld reports that Rangers are ready to act decisively with their final candidates as chairman John Bennett and chief executive James Bisgrove travelled to London on Sunday night.

Parker has been out of work since being sacked by Club Brugge in March and had previously enjoyed spells at Fulham and Bournemouth. The 42-year-old succeded in getting both the Cottagers and the Cherries promoted into the Premier League from the Championship but then struggled in the top flight.

Muscat has perhaps had a less prolific managerial career since retiring in 2011 and is perhaps an outsider, but his 2002/03 spell with the club makes him a more familiar face for Gers supporters. The 50-year-old, known as one of the sport's most aggressive ever players, is currently managing Yokohama F. Marinos in Australia - having replaced current Spurs boss Ange Postecoglou when he went to work at Celtic.

Both stars spent time playing their football in London. Parker made 140 appearances for Charlton Athletic, 129 appearances for West Ham United and 128 appearances for Fulham over a long career, which also featured spells at Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea. Muscat played 62 times for Millwall and 56 times in south London for Crystal Palace.

Rangers club legend Graeme Souness is reported to be helping out Bennett, Bisgrove and director Graeme Park in an advisory role. The former Liverpool man has history with Parker, having signed the player at Newcastle United in 2005 and been outspoken with praise for the player.

Speaking when Magpies boss in 2006, Souness said: "He wears his heart on his sleeve and you can see what he is on the pitch. I think supporters realise he is someone who gives everything. I don't think I can think of anyone else like him and I've never worked with someone like him.

"He plays to the point of exhaustion. I'm thinking of that incident against Arsenal when he was on the ground just in front of the dugout. He looked up as if he'd been shot. It was: 'that's it, I can't give anymore. I've given everything.' I've never witnessed that before.

"Players like him are few and far between. They are very special players. I think the majority would not have played the way he was feeling on Saturday but he got through 70 minutes."

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/former-fulham-and-west-ham-star-to-battle-no-nonsense-ex-crystal-palace-man-for-rangers-job-4364991

WhiteJC

Fulham: Cottagers in contact to sign ÂŁ17m "target man" in red-hot form
There is plenty of competition for his signature...

Fulham are in ongoing discussions regarding a deal to sign a new striker in January, according to a fresh report.

Fulham's signings in 2023...
Over the summer, Marco Silva recruited seven fresh faces in the form of Alex Iwobi, Calvin Bassey, Timothy Castagne, Raul Jimenez, Steven Benda, Adama Traore and Fode Ballo-Toure, and they are already assessing their options ahead of the next window opening.

The Cottagers have been heavily linked with moves for Manchester United and Benfica midfielders Scott McTominay and Florentino Luis after it was reported that Bayern Munich are still pursuing Joao Palhinha despite him recently signing a new long-term contract.

The Whites may also be looking to bolster other areas of the pitch, including in the final third, where a name to have entered the fold as a possible candidate is Stuttgart's Serhou Guirassy, who has established himself as Sebastian Hoeness' overall best-performing player so far this season with a WhoScored match rating of 8.80.

The Guinea international turned down a move to Craven Cottage before the previous transfer deadline as he wasn't excited enough by the project on offer, and whilst Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham have since been credited with an interest in the 27-year-old, Fulham chiefs could be about to take a second bite of the cherry.

Serhou Guirassy transfer update...
According to German outlet BILD (via Tribal Football), delivering a Serhou Guirassy transfer update, Fulham are plotting a raid on Stuttgart for their attacker in January:

"Fulham are eyeing VFB Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy. BILD says Nottingham Forest and the Cottagers are in contact with Stuttgart for Guirassy about a January deal. The centre-forward has a €20m (£17m) buyout clause which can be triggered next summer.

"The Swabians are now in talks with Guirassy's management about trying to increase the clause in exchange for a higher salary. The original plan was to completely buy out Guirassy's clause. However, the player has refused such an option."

How many goals has Serhou Guirassy scored?
During his time at Stuttgart, Guirassy has clocked up an outstanding 32 contributions (28 goals and four assists) in 36 appearances, which shows how prolific he can be in the opposition's box, and he's in red-hot form this campaign in particular, racking up a remarkable 13 goals in just seven Bundesliga outings.

The Arles native, who is sponsored by Adidas, has recorded 30 shots over the course of the current campaign which is more than any other of his fellow teammates (FBRef - Guirassy statistics), highlighting his eye for goal and desire to create opportunities for himself.

Standing at 6 foot 1, Guirassy is additionally the ideal "target man", as described by journalist Josh Bunting, with the attacker using his height to average 3.6 aerial wins per league game this term, so for a player who is the complete package, Fulham would be foolish not to at least be as competitive as they can in their pursuit of their target.

https://www.footballfancast.com/fulham-news-serhou-guirassy-stuttgart-latest-transfer-rumours-updates/

WhiteJC

Leon Osman raves about 'sharp' Fulham player who now 'looks 21'
Fulham recorded their second home league win of the season against Sheffield United with Willian playing a starring role.

Speaking on The Weekend Wrap, Leon Osman and Dion Dublin were raving about the experienced forward.

Fulham knew they had to come away from Saturday's clash with three points to avoid being dragged into the relegation conversation.

Sheffield United have been the poorest team in the Premier League this season and have failed to win a single league game this year.

The first half drifted by with the visitors not looking like they wanted to break that duck.

Fulham had chances but their struggles in front of goal continued.

However, the second half saw Fulham up their game and Bobby De Cordova-Reid finally put us in front.

An unfortunate Antonee Robinson own goal made things nervy, but a fortunate Tom Cairney strike and Willian secured an important three points.

Willian's goal at the end against Sheffield United showcased his quality and showed exactly why Fulham manager Marco Silva kept him on until full-time.

The experienced winger was very poor last week against Chelsea but put a poor Blades side to the sword on Saturday.

Willian praised for Fulham performance vs Sheffield United
Speaking about the Brazilian international, Dion Dublin said: "I'm liking Willian at the moment, honest, some of his performances have been absolutely [outstanding].

Leon Osman added: "35 years of age, he looks 21. He's playing out of his skin, he's been sharp, he looks fast, he looks as fit as anybody about.

"I thought he was the best player on the pitch."

Willian has a huge role to play this season as when he's at his best, he's arguably a level above every other player in the squad.

He's formed a fantastic partnership with Antonee Robinson on the left and gets the very best out of the rapid American.

Robinson isn't known for beating a player one-on-one so Willian uses his guile to draw in as many defenders as possible before unleashing his full-back.

Sheffield United simply couldn't cope with Willian and Fulham are much better side when he's in the team.

The Chelsea game has to be seen as a blip and he'll be vital to the side getting any sort of result against Tottenham after the international break.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/10/09/leon-osman-raves-about-sharp-fulham-player-who-now-looks-21/

WhiteJC

Not over yet! Bayern Munich to return for ÂŁ60m-rated Fulham dynamo Joao Palhinha in January transfer window despite his new long-term contract
Bayern Munich still hold out hope that they will sign Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha in January, despite the fact he has signed a new contract.

Almost signed Palhinha on summer deadline
    Signed new deal till 2028
    Bayern to try again in January

WHAT HAPPENED? On the final day of the summer transfer window, Palhinha was only minutes away from joining the Bundesliga champions. He had a medical before the deal fell through because Fulham were unable to find a substitute. As per The Telegraph, Thomas Tuchel still wants the defensive midfielder at the Allianz Arena despite Palhinha having since signed a new deal that runs until 2028.

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Palhinha's new contract reportedly excludes a release clause, which would have let a club to talk to him when a predetermined price was formally submitted. Bayern were prepared to offer the Portugal international approximately ÂŁ55 million ($67m), but they will probably have to raise the price due to the contract extension.

WHAT NEXT? Bayern will have to work hard in order to sign Palhinha in the January transfer window due to the Cottagers clearly wanting to keep their man, and with a lack of release clause, the two clubs will have to negotiate to reach a conclusion.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/bayern-munich-fulham-joao-palhinha-january-transfer-new-long-term-contract/blte35208438f7cf0e2

WhiteJC

Issa Diop sends encouraging message on social media after limping off vs Sheff Utd
Fulham defender Issa Diop may have given a clue about the injury he suffered against Sheffield United on Saturday.

The giant centre-back took to social media to celebrate an important 3-1 win at the weekend.

There was plenty of attention on one Fulham centre-back at the weekend with the Blades in town.

Captain Tim Ream racked up his 300th appearance for the club after eight seasons at Craven Cottage.

It's a huge achievement from the American who has gone from being surplus to requirements to a mainstay for club and country aged 36.

Ream lined up alongside Issa Diop again despite the pair not having their best game for the club against Chelsea last Monday.

The pair were barely troubled by Sheffield United's forward and both looked very comfortable in possession.

However, Issa Diop picked up a very untimely injury that led to Sheffield United's equaliser.

The 26-year-old was immediately substituted but has now responded to a question from an old teammate that might give Marco Silva hope.

Fulham defender Diop responds after picking up injury
In the second half after Bobby De Cordova-Reid's opener, Diop picked up the ball and attempted to drive forward.

However, he immediately went down in pain and Sheffield United went on the attack, with Antonee Robinson eventually turning the ball into his own net.

Posting on Instagram after the match, Diop said: "Congratulations mate for the victory, I will come back stronger. Thank You to all the fans for the support."

Nantes goalkeeper Alban Lafont replied in the comments and said: "Is it any better?" to which Diop responded: "Don't worry bro."

Diop may not have been talking about his injury but he doesn't seem too worried, however, Fulham manager Marco Silva when asked him after the match said: "He heard a crack in his foot.

"They're assessing him. Let's see what's going to be in the report. It doesn't look good but we have to wait."

Thankfully, Tom Cairney and Willian made sure Fulham still picked up three points despite the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the goal they conceded.

It will be interesting to see if Diop is fit to face Tottenham after the international break.

If he isn't Calvin Bassey might be offered another opportunity to break into the side after his summer move from Ajax.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/10/09/issa-diop-sends-encouraging-message-on-social-media-after-limping-off-vs-sheff-utd/

WhiteJC

Fulham's $27 Million Man Alex Iwobi: 'At The End Of The Day I'm Human—Just Like My Fans'
As someone who's grafted to make a career in soccer, Fulham winger Alex Iwobi is used to training hard and Premier League match days for Arsenal, Everton and now Fulham. Although, that's not where he gets all his kicks. When it comes to playing, enjoyment is at the forefront.

"I always like to entertain with the ball at my feet, whether that's a skill or trying to score, especially with friends," he tells me in an interview. "Professionally, you have to be a bit more serious. You have to try and win at all costs. Playing with my friends is where I feel most free."

Iwobi, who completed a deal worth up to €25 million ($27 million) from Everton to mid-table Fulham in September, has experienced both edges to the Premier League. Breaking through at Arsenal, he showed his flair in an elite attacking setup under former coaches Arsène Wenger and Unai Emery. For struggling Everton, he was among the players scrapping to preserve Everton's near 70-year stay in the top tier.

Back in London, where he grew up, Fulham will hope the 27-year-old—whose résumé includes an FA Cup winners medal, World Cup and Champions League knowhow and a stellar Europa League final goal—can bring both quality and grit as the club works to build on a 10th place league standing last term.

A fully-fledged Nigeria international with 63 appearances for his birth country, Iwobi doesn't need to look far to find soccer inspiration. The forward says he admired Ronaldinho during the Brazilian's days at Barcelona, but there have been few more entertaining Premier League players than his uncle, former midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha. Iwobi's answer is clear when asked whether the former Bolton Wanderers magician has impacted his approach.

"100%. Especially growing up as a kid and having him as an idol, watching him, and him telling me to play with a smile on my face," Iwobi responds. "I saw him enjoying football (soccer) with his flair and skills. So, I try and do the same, but in my style. Even off the field, he's always advised me. And he's someone who loves his fashion, too. I've bumped into him a couple of times when going shopping. He's someone I look up to."

The number 22, who swapped clubs on transfer deadline day, only remembers his childhood in the U.K. after leaving Nigeria as a young kid. He says he's "always felt at home in England but more connected to the West-African nation"—having been raised in a Nigerian household in London, listening to Nigerian music and having Nigerian food. He speaks the nation's primary language, much like broken English, but—to his regret—not his native tongue. His parents remind him when he visits his homeland.

Alongside soccer, music and fashion strike a chord with Iwobi. "I can literally use music to go through life," he says. Even in my car—or when I wake up in the morning—there's always music in the background. With fashion, especially nowadays, it represents who you are. And you can express yourself through clothes. As a kid, I couldn't always have the clothes I wanted. Now I'm just in a comfortable position where I can."

While being a Premier League regular is the dream for many around the globe, the spotlight brings some baggage. Amplified by online platforms, the criticism—as well as the buzz—surrounding sportspeople like Iwobi comes from all corners. In the attacker's instance, he also plays in a globally popular competition with enviable viewing figures year after year.

"When you're coming onto the scene and doing well, you see fans on social media and in the comments, and you want to see people hyping you up," Iwobi adds. "I've also had the hate—that you're not good enough. When I moved to Everton, there was a high fee (around €40 million or $42 million). Everyone said he costs so much and hasn't done much. His value is way too high. I've seen it all. I've seen both sides. Now, I'm at an age where I don't look at it anymore.

"At the same time, you want your fans to know what you're like personally. And at the end of the day, I'm human—just like my fans. I post a bit (on social networks) to show I'm just a normal person."

Relaxed and thoughtful in manner, Iwobi is. When statistics enter the frame, he isn't. Of those who enter soccer academies aged nine in England and Wales, 99% don't turn professional, according to The Professional Footballers' Association, leaving some stranded and needing support—something fellow player Trent Alexander-Arnold is addressing.

So long the soccer pinnacle, top players and leagues across Europe are also coming to terms with the Saudi Arabian soccer boom, having seen dozens of stars leave the continent for cash-rich teams in the Gulf state over the summer. From the inside looking out, the change has been equally significant, not least in West London; had star striker Aleksandr not departed for Pro League powerhouse Al-Hilal, he would have been one of Iwobi's teammates.

"There's much more money," Iwobi remarks. "I mean, there are more countries involved in the sport. With Saudi Arabia, if you wanted to go there before, it would be like, 'What are you going there for?' But many professionals are going there, so the league is probably getting more competitive now.

"It's good to see players getting better. Everyone is getting stronger and fitter. So, yeah, it (this campaign) will be much more entertaining than previous seasons. Who knows how it will continue to be? Especially this season for me in the Premier League, I don't know what it will be like. You never know. I can't tell you what it (the game) will be like soon."

What he does know is the difference soccer makes to lives. Learning his trade in the capital, Iwobi played with people from various ethnicities, cultures and backgrounds. Through his charity, Project 17, Iwobi aims to integrate individuals—such as those in minority groups—into society through sport. In many ways, it reflects his attitudes and sense of identity.

"I've realized that it's powerful and brings communities together," he muses out loud. "Growing up, I didn't have many people coming to my area to organize matches. If they did, I'm sure everyone would have attended—the same as they did for me.

"I want them to know I'm the same as them."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/henryflynn/2023/10/09/fulhams-27-million-man-alex-iwobi-at-the-end-of-the-day-im-human-just-like-my-fans/?sh=6bd511f12de7