News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do any of you come from a non Fulham supporting family ?

Started by Zendra, October 10, 2023, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zendra

By that you are I mean supporting a specific other club rather than a family not into football.

On my Father's side we are solidly Fulham and most of us season ticket holders ,apart from one Chelsea cousin and even he says he feels 'uncomfortable' watching Chelsea play Fulham. On my mother's side a few are sort of Palace but only go to 1/2 games a season so hardly fanatical.

A few years ago I was on the QPR site and one poster said that his Dad is a Fulham fan - I reckon this is unusual and most fans will pick the team their Dad supports - drummed into them from an early age usually I would say.

Andy S

My old Dad was an Arsenal supporter but in the post war days Saturday morning was part of the working week. People in London would finish work and then head off to watch a game. You would go to a match with your work mates. London would have a good selection of matches. In those days it was pay on the gate. I became a Fulham supporter and so have my three sons and one of my grandchildren who also supports Liverpool. These days it is easier to support teams that you may never visit as all top games are televised

WhiteJC

my Dad was also an Arsenal supporter, however Grandad and uncle, Dad's older brother, were Fulham supporters

ianthailand

My father was not an ardent Man Utd supporter but had a soft spot for them (Munich i think). I started supporting Roy Bentley, Chelsea at the time, 1956 he came to Fulham. The rest is history as they say. Favourite player other than Roy is Allan Clarke.

ChesterTheTabby

I most certainly do - I am the only one in my family, and I was raised a United fan because of Roy Keane by my Irish side of the family. Came to Fulham because when I was 10 years old or so, I got my first tickets to a live game while visiting my family in London, and they couldn't afford Chelsea tickets, but this nice little club down the road had just been promoted... so instead, I watched Fulham vs Birmingham City at the Cottage, and I've been a Fulham man ever since.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

RaySmith

Yes, my family supported Palace, which was the local club, living in Tulse Hill, and an uncle was a chief steward there for years. Another uncle, whom I stayed with briefly when my mum was in hospital, was a big Charlton fan, and he took me there. Another uncle followed Arsenal, and he took me there, but no-one in the family supported Fulham.

Anyway, My mum and dad used to take me to Palace, in Div 4 at the time, where I remember standing on grass behind the goal, where the terracing ran out.
Johnny Byrne, their young star was my first footballing hero, who I was to watch again when he came to Fulham from West Ham near the end of his career, where he'd played for England - but now only a sad shadow of his former playing self.

I was mad on football, and told my dad that I wanted to go to see a top club, and Fulham was the team he decided on, because of Johnny Haynes 'the best passer of a football you'll ever see.'
He took me a couple of times, then got fed up, but I carried on going, was consumed with a passion for  my new club, and the rest is history!

Thailand Mick

My dad is a Brentford fan, he took me with him from about the age of five. Then when I was Seven my uncle and his son took me to Fulham and I was hooked. For a couple of seasons I would go to both because they were alternate weeks but then I just started going with my cousin and stopped going to Brentford. Have only been back there for our away games.

Hatch007

My grandad was a ST holder at Spurs for 50 years and my dad for 25 years. They gave them up in 1970 in protest at Spurs selling Greavsie (my dad's all-time favourite player) to West Ham

By the time I was born in 1973 my parents were living in Surrey. When dad deemed me old enough to attend my first football match, the nearest teams to us were Wimbledon and Aldershot. Having watched the great Sours double-winning side he couldn't face 4th Division football so the next options were Chelsea (a serious non-starter for dad), Fulham or Pompey.

My first ever match was Pompey at Fratton Park because Fulham were away up north somewhere that week. The following week I went to CC for the first time and was hooked. That was in 1981

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I was brought up in Fulham during the War while my Dad was away by entirely Chelsea supporting grandparents and uncles when I saw them. When my Dad came home he was a West Ham fan due to his family roots but due to Saturday working he only took me to some QPR matches with his good friend. I made my own connection with Fulham rather than Chelsea when I was about ten although I occasionally went to Chelsea with my grandfather (to cheer the opposition!)

Somerset Fulham

The whole of my large family were Spurs fans. Cousins, Uncles, brothers, my Dad, Nan and Grandad etc.

One uncle was a Fulham fan and I followed him, seeing as I lived and grew up around there, it made sense. Then my youngest brother came along and he also went Fulham, however his children are all Spurs too.

FFC1987

Dad loosely supported Liverpool. Grandad and most other family, Ipswich. I ended up with Fulham.

Ronnief

None of my extended family support Fulham but some of my uncles supported Chelsea. My Dad had no interest in sport at all. My Grandma though used to live in Stevenage Road in the 1890's. My uncle Les played for Molesey and took me to a few of their matches and My Uncle Dennis was a Kingstonian supporter who took me to the FA Amateur Cup Final at Wembley when they were beaten by Hendon. Fortunately my Son and two Grandsons support Fulham.

HV71

hovewhite

Came from a single parent household in the 60s and my dad didn't follow football .
So no alliegences sport wise as worked F/T and bought 3 of us up,and very well at that.

bunter

Quote from: HV71 on October 11, 2023, 05:53:26 PMMansfield Town fans through and through.

Two of us then! My dad isn't into football but my mum follows the stags having grown up in Mansfield. Have a soft spot for them myself becuase of it.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

HV71

Quote from: bunter on October 11, 2023, 06:28:51 PM
Quote from: HV71 on October 11, 2023, 05:53:26 PMMansfield Town fans through and through.

Two of us then! My dad isn't into football but my mum follows the stags having grown up in Mansfield. Have a soft spot for them myself becuase of it.

Great to hear Bunter !

Eton White

My dad was a Fulham fan from the time he moved over from Ireland and lived in Shepherds Bush, so direct family have always been Fulham but my cousin's family (who live in Richmond, Surrey) are all big Chelsea supporters.

Funnily enough though, my cousin's dad (my uncle) is a Fulham season ticket holder, and also goes to see Chelsea and even Brentford from time to time. Any local team, bar QPR it seems!

Al-Fayed

My Dad was a Wolves fan but my Mum's uncle's last words to her were "Make sure the boys support Fulham". You can't argue with that!

bog

Quote from: ianthailand on October 11, 2023, 03:15:29 AMMy father was not an ardent Man Utd supporter but had a soft spot for them (Munich i think). I started supporting Roy Bentley, Chelsea at the time, 1956 he came to Fulham. The rest is history as they say. Favourite player other than Roy is Allan Clarke.

Morning. It may or may be of interest but I used to go to the same junior school as Roy's daughter. When he used to pick her up he seemed massive! Years later he was back at that other local lot to celebrate when they first won the old league division one. He still looked fit and almost ran right round the pitch. As he is still in my best line up at centre half I decided to write to him c/o that lot down the road. Within 4 days he had replied in his own hand. A humble man he said he was honoured to still be remembered. Well I won't forget him.

Oh and Allan Clarke is also in my best line up.