watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 13/10/23...

Started by WhiteJC, October 12, 2023, 11:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

USMNT legend Clint Dempsey opens up about breaking window after Roy Hodgson benched him at Fulham
The former USMNT man wasn't happy with Roy Hodgson's decision and lost his cool, opening up about it on Kickin' It

It's never easy to be told that you won't start a game and it's even harder when it is a critical game in your team's season. Former United States international and current CBS Sports studio analyst Clint Dempsey spoke about on Kickin' It, citing an incident that led to his hand going through glass and nearly costing him to miss a large portion of the season.

Dempsey spoke about his time with Fulham when he was benched for a Europa League match when the crew were joined by Matt Turner of Nottingham Forest. After initially being told that he would start against Hamburg at home in 2010, Dempsey was benched and in reaction broke a window causing himself to undergo surgery to get it fixed. Dempsy spoke about how previously there was the expectation that when players proved that they were fit, they would go back into the starting XI.

"It was the Hamburg game, it was after the Juventus game, and it was going into the Hamburg game and we're at home. [Roy Hodgson] was like 'You know mate, it's not like you've been pulling up any trees lately,' and I'm like, 'What do you mean? It's Juventus. They're like a giant red oak,'" Dempsey said, citing the absolute golazo he scored against the Turin club in the previous round. "It's not like I haven't been doing anything and when other players come back in after being in the starting lineup, they go back into the team. Whis that not the case with me? You think I'm just going to be a good soldier?"

Dempsey offers a picture into the dynamic that can happen when expectations aren't matched on a team and it's quite a contrast to Turner's reaction when he was on the bench for Arsenal, but it is also why Turner made the move to Nottingham Forest to push for first team minutes. Soccer players can be fierce competitors and sometimes it can come out in the wrong way like Dempsey's case.

"This is where I go out to the locker room and I'm not as supportive as you were," Dempsey says to Matt Turner. "You can't tell me that you all are better than me and then I hit through this plated window and I still have this scar right here."

Dempsey continues to say that he did regret the situation slightly as he may have rubbed some of his teammates the wrong way but in the heat of the moment it can be understandable why Dempsey flared up like that. More scenes like this likely happen away from the spotlight but they show a picture into a world that's rarely seen publicly around athlete dynamics and how some might handle internal team struggles.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usmnt-legend-clint-dempsey-opens-up-about-breaking-window-after-roy-hodgson-benched-him-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Manzi makes her mark in Dulwich draw
Sophie Manzi came back to haunt Dulwich Hamlet as Fulham Women fought back to take a point from a fiesty London derby at Motspur Park tonight.

The centre forward, a summer arrival from the Hamlet, scored a superb second-half equaliser to cancel out Rhead Gall's header. Fulham had much more of the ball, befitting a side who had stitched together six successive wins after a slow start to the season, but looked vulnerable to the visitors on the counter attack. The sides had to settle for a share of the spoils after an end-to-end finish.

Steve Jaye had made two changes from the side that came from behind to beat Sutton United on Sunday. Becky Stormer, who returned from injury in the second half, replaced Mary Southgate in central defence whilst former Hamlet wing-back Maddi Parsonson came in for Emily Bird. Clear-cut chances were in short supply as the game kicked off in teeming rain and the hosts struggled to make inroads into a well-drilled Dulwich defence.

Sasha Adamson had Fulham's first shot of goal, teed up by a clever pass from Manzi, but the winger was thwarted by a smart stop from Hamlet keeper Saskia Reeves-Priestley. Reeves-Priestley then produced a fine sprwaling save to keep out a shot on the turn from Georgia Heasman. The Dulwich forward line looked threatening on the break with Summer Roberts leading the line impressively on her return to Motspur Park having left Fulham in the summer.

Her namesake Shakira Kafoero Roberts sped along the right flank and cut inside but mishit her shot towards goal as space opened up. Dulwich could easily have taken the lead shortly afterwards when Angel Reid's low ball flashed across the face of goal but eluded her team-mates and was turned clear at the far post by Parsonson.

Fulham were restricted to long range efforts in the remainder of the first period with Rebecca Barron-Clark firing wide of goal and the first half ended in stalemate. The interval saw the Rachel Yankey Trophy, commissioned by the Fulham Supporters' Trust, handed over to Chloe Christison-McNee and Tia Foreman by the former Fulham, Arsenal and England winger and Trust chair Simon Duke. The trophy will be awared to the Fulham Women's player of the season at the end of this campaign.

The second half began cagily but the visitors took the lead from a corner ten minutes after the break. Rhead Gall headed emphatically past Frankie Gibbs having been left unattended to the delight of the vocal travelling support. Dulwich were indebted to a brilliant block from Erin Corrigan that denied substitute Ede Buchele a shot on goal three minutes later and they initially looked comfortable as the home side probed in front of them.

But Manzi, who scored 42 goals in 61 games at in three years at Champion Hill, produced a moment of magic that Yankey would have been proud of. The forward moved into a pocket of space outside the penalty area and placed a low effort into the bottom corner to bring Fulham level. The equaliser galvanised with the Whites with Stormer heading over at the back post from a corner, but Dulwich created good openings to retake the lead.

Summer Roberts nearly capitalised on a defensive mistake to score her seventh goal of the season before skipper Asia Harbour-Brown headed a floated free-kick into the arms of Frankie Gibbs with five minutes left. Fulham pushed players forward in search of late winner themselves with Buchele and Alex Hayman adding some dynamism to the attack but the Whites were unable to extend their winning run.

Fulham are back in action at Motspur Park on Sunday afternoon against Enfield Town.

FULHAM FC WOMEN (3-4-3): Gibbs; Dale, Stormer, Tagliavini; Parsonson, Mendes, Barron-Clark, Lambird; Heasman, Adamson, Manzi. Subs: Parker, Southgate, Bird, Hayman, Buchele.

BOOKED: Dale.

GOAL: Manzi (63).

DULWICH HAMLET WOMEN FC: Reeves-Priestley; Lodge, Gall, Harbour Brown, Corrigan, M. Searle, Price, Read, Reid, Shakira Kafoero Roberts, Summer Roberts. Subs: May, Hickman, T. Searle, Goddard, Alves Etienne.

GOAL: Gall (56).

REFEREE: Lucy Clark.

ATTENDANCE: 267.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/manzi-makes-her-mark-in-dulwich-draw/

WhiteJC

Welsh media give verdict on 26-year-old Fulham star on international duty
Fulham winger Harry Wilson continued his fine form at club level with another decent performance for Wales last night.

The national media have shared their thoughts on a straightforward 4-0 win for The Dragons against minnows Gibraltar.

Wales manager Rob Page gave several young stars their chance to shine in a friendly before they face Croatia on Sunday.

Regan Poole, Joe Low and Charlie Savage all featured alongside experienced stars like Tottenham's Ben Davies and Kieffer Moore.

As Page looked to finalise his side before Sunday's vital qualifier, Harry Wilson was called off the bench just after the hour mark.

The match was already won at this point, with Wales scoring all four of their goals in the first half.

However, Wilson appeared to carry his good start to life at Fulham into his latest Wales match.

His next appearance for his country will be his 50th, which is an impressive achievement considering he's only 26.

Fulham winger Wilson makes latest Wales appearance
Wales Online gave their verdict on every player who featured in Wrexham last night and gave Wilson a seven out of ten.

The outlet suggested that Wilson, 'looked decent, but wasn't quite in full flight'.

Wilson's two seasons in the Premier League with Fulham couldn't have started more differently.

After playing a starring role in the Championship following his £12m move from Liverpool, an injury ruled him out for months after Fulham's promotion.

It took him time to get back up to speed and even he might admit that he struggled to play his best football last year.

He managed two goals and three assists in 29 appearances last season and is unfortunate not to be off the mark this year.

Wilson struck the post against Sheffield United and has put a few chances of a plate for each of Fulham's misfiring strikers.

Wales manager Page will be hoping Wilson carries his Fulham form into their match against Croatia at the weekend.

Some Fulham fans will continue to be frustrated that Luke Harris was denied a debut in a friendly that was already won by half-time.

The teenager has a huge future ahead of him but continues to be denied international opportunities.

Alongside the impressive Willian, Marco Silva will simply be hoping the 26-year-old returns to Motspur Park fully fit and ready to face Tottenham.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/10/12/welsh-media-give-verdict-on-26-year-old-fulham-star-on-international-duty/

WhiteJC

Alex Iwobi v Fisayo Dele-Bashiru: Who has been the better midfielder this season?
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru has been invited to the Super Eagles team ahead of their friendly games against Saudi Arabia and Mozambique.

The 22-year-old is in the form of his life at the moment, scoring four goals and registering three assists in eight Süper Lig games for Hatayspor and that blistering form has earned him a call-up from José Peseiro.

In this article, we will be taking a look at what the Manchester City Academy product will bring to the Super Eagles by drawing a comparison between him and Fulham midfielder, Alex Iwobi, who has a similar profile or style of play using statistics from their performances this season.

With 7-goal contributions already, Dele-Bashiru pips Iwobi who has just one, for goal involvement per game so far this term.

The Super Eagles' new invitee also edges his senior counterpart for pass completion rate having completed 83.7% of his passes for Hatayspor as compared to Iwobi who has completed 80.2% of his passes in the colours of Fulham.

However, both players are averaging one key pass per game, that is, a pass leading to a shot.

Concerning possession metric, the former Everton midfielder is a better controller of the ball as he has recorded the least number of bad touches so far.

The foregoing is not to say Dele-Bashiru is a better midfielder than Iwobi in practice but to elucidate the quality of the former as we look forward to seeing him make his debut for Nigeria.

Abdulkareem Abdulhamid

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=49107

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column
On the back of the Chelsea disappointment, it was vital we took a good result into the international break against Sheffield United. After they pulled us back it might have looked like we were headed for a draw, but it was great character from the lads to hit straight back and get the win. It was a game that everyone would have looked at and said Fulham have got to win, so there was a different kind of pressure on us, but we came through that. Sheffield United haven't won a game yet, so the talk in the dressing room would have been, 'don't let us be the ones that give them their first win.' So for us to win the game, and end up winning it 3-1 comfortably, is big.

Tim Ream brought up 300 Fulham appearances in that game, which just shows you what a professional he is. He's played under a number of different coaches in that time, and sometimes when a new manager comes in he wants to scrap things and bring in his own players, but Tim has always dug in. When he got us to the Premier League the first time but then didn't really play, after we got relegated he came straight back in and became a very important player again. People thought the same thing would happen the last time we went up, but under Marco Silva he's showing that he can cut it at this level. He's a class of his own, the fans love him, he loves the club, his family are happy here. It will have been a very, very proud day for him and his family.

The fact that you need to go back more than 26 years for the last time a player reached that milestone puts it into context. (If you're wondering who that was, it was Captain Morgs himself.) I made 198 appearances for Fulham, but people always assume it was more. My first season under Micky Adams, I only played like seven minutes! I was training with the First Team and travelling with them, I was there in Carlisle, but only made that one appearance in that season. Jealous might be the wrong word, but I would have loved to have reached that number myself for Fulham. If I could go back now and change everything I would have just stayed at Fulham for my whole career. I'm not just saying that, it's the truth, because the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Apart from Portsmouth, everywhere else was a bad fit for me. Fulham gave me the opportunity from a young age, we went up through all the leagues so, in hindsight, I should have stayed. Knowing what I know now once I moved and how I was treated by certain other managers and certain chairmen, hell yeah I would have stayed. But that's life, you get knocked down and get back up.

The other talking point from the weekend was the awful injury suffered by Chris Basham. You never like to see injuries like that, regardless of if it's your player or any other player. It's tough, bad injuries can change a player, so I wish him all the luck and hopefully he comes back swiftly. When I joined Bolton, he was coming through and he was a fantastic young lad, on and off the pitch. It shows you he's had a great career and I'm hoping that he can swiftly come back and still get a hundred-odd games in him. These kinds of horrible injuries, you never know how long it's going to take him, but I'd like to send my love to Chris and his family.

We're playing three of the top-six, plus Manchester United, after the international break. Every game in the Premier League brings up its own challenges and its own pressures. Sheffield United was big pressure – we were at home and we had to win. We're away in three of these upcoming games so will be the underdogs, but I think that the lads embrace that. We saw it last season, and we saw it earlier this season at Arsenal and Man City – we go to these big clubs and give them a game. We know these teams aren't going to take us lightly after last season's performance, so we're going to have to raise our standards, but the players did that in the last game. The dressing room seems good, the players will want to try and get higher than they did last season, and that's probably the aim. Can we get up in the top 10, and if we do, can we then fight for a European place? I think that's where the Club has to go. But for now, we keep our feet on the ground and take each game as it comes.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/october/12/the-sean-davis-column/

WhiteJC

Luke Harris: Loan move 'next step' for Wales and Fulham prospect - Matty Jones

Luke Harris has made seven senior appearances for Fulham
Wales Under-21s boss Matty Jones says leaving Fulham on loan will be the "next step" in Luke Harris' development.

The 18-year-old has made two senior appearances for the Premier League side this season having featured five times under Marco Silva last term.

"In the summer, I know he came really close to a loan move," said Jones.

"I think that's the next step for Luke in terms of getting senior exposure, he's an unbelievable talent."

Harris has featured in several senior Wales camps but is yet to win a cap under Robert Page having withdrawn from the World Cup travelling party last year.

The versatile midfielder, along with Liverpool loanee Owen Beck, was released by Page after Wales' 4-0 win over Gibraltar in Wrexham to turn out for the under-21s against the Czech Republic in a Euro qualifier on Friday.

Reading midfielder Charlie Savage and Wycombe centre-back Joe Low will both remain with Wales' senior team for their Euro 2024 qualifying fixture with Croatia having made their senior bows against Gibraltar.

Charlie Savage impressed on his senior debut against Gibraltar including an assist for Wales' second goal

The pair were expected to join Harris and Beck in linking up with the under-21s but will provide Page with additional cover given the absences of players including Aaron Ramsey, Brennan Johnson, Ben Cabango and Wes Burns.

"It's a fantastic positive for the individuals and collectively as an association," Jones said of the senior debutants, who also included Regan Poole and Liam Cullen.

"It's the agenda I was brought in to try and support in terms of players transitioning from the under-21s to the senior squad.

"I couldn't have been any prouder of them last night."

Jones's side followed up a 2-2 draw against Denmark in their opening Euro qualifier with a 3-2 win over Lithuania to preserve their unbeaten start to Group I.

It means they are currently top of their five-team pool with six matches left to play.

But Jones says the Czech Republic, who were beaten 2-1 by Iceland last time out, will provide Wales with their toughest test of the campaign so far.

"It's probably the biggest challenge that we've faced as a staffing group and players over the past 12 months," he said.

"We've had some great growth within the group and one of the key talking points this week has been about not showing any complacency."

Kick-off at Stadion Strelecký is at 17:00 BST on Friday, 13 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67089453

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney jokes with £90k-a-week Fulham teammate after seeing replay of Sheff Utd goal
Fulham captain Tom Cairney couldn't help with teammate Willian after the club's rather fortunate second goal against Sheffield United on Saturday.

A video of his deflected effort was posted by the Premier League on social media, concentrating on the Brazilian's reaction.

Willian is one of the most technically gifted ever to grace Craven Cottage in the Premier League.

Ever since his move last summer, the 35-year-old has tormented full-backs and created a very good partnership with the rapid Antonee Robinson.

His goal against Nottingham Forest was nominated for Goal of the Season last year and he found the back of the net again at the weekend.

However, the technique on show from Fulham captain Cairney for the second of the afternoon on Saturday wasn't quite up to Willian's standards.

Cairney picked up the ball after some good work from Calvin Bassey inside the opposition's half.

One touch out of his feet was enough to encourage him to shoot, but his strike cannoned off his standing foot, looping up in the air in the direction of the opposition's goal.

What happened next is something he could never replicate again if he tried and prompted a hilarious reaction from the £90,000-a-week winger.

Cairney jokes with Fulham teammate Willian
As Cairney's shot drifted towards Wes Foderingham's goal, Willian can be seen standing on the left wing in plenty of space.

He's pointing at his feet with both hands, urging the Fulham captain to pass to him before offering no reaction to the ball hitting the back of the net off the back of Foderingham's head.

Cairney runs past Willian in celebration towards the delirious Fulham fans in the Hammersmith End, shushing the Brazilian in the process.

Responding to the video on Instagram, Cairney joked: "@willianborges88 no respect. I'll pass it to you next time apologies."

It was suggested this week that Cairney was unlucky not to be recognised more on the international stage.

I can't help but agree although it's hard to know just how much of a connection he felt to the Scottish national team.

While he's continuing to impress at Craven Cottage making sensational cameos, he's got a place in the side.

Marco Silva continues to try and evolve his squad, but in Cairney and Tim Ream, he's got two constants who know exactly what the club is about and how much it means to the fans.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/10/12/tom-cairney-jokes-with-90k-a-week-fulham-teammate-after-seeing-replay-of-sheff-utd-goal/

WhiteJC

Dibley-Dias denied international debut by injury
Fulham midfielder Matt Dibley-Dias has been denied the chance of making his New Zealand debut this week after suffering a hamstring injury on his second day of international duty.

The Fulham under-21 captain, who was born in Lower Hutt, had been called up to the All Whites squad for the friendlies against DR Congo and Australia but head coach Darren Bazeley told the press that he had returned to Fulham for treatment after sustaining an injury almost as soon as he arrived in Murica.

"It's really disappointing for us and for him as well. He was really excited to be part of it. He's a player we have been talking to for a while. He's been progressing his own career at Fulham, but now he's at a pretty good place there. He came in, met everybody, had a couple of days' training and was looking really good but unfortunately he sustained a slight muscle injury in the middle of the second session and he's gone back to Fulham now to be assessed by their medical department."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/dibley-dias-denied-international-debut-by-injury/

WhiteJC

'Really nice': Gary Lineker says Fulham player was in one of the best attacks in PL history
Fulham may not be one of the biggest teams in Premier League history, but they have boasted some of the best players the division has ever seen at times.

The likes of Edwin Van der Sar, Dimitar Berbatov and Andy Cole are just a few bona fide Premier League legends to have turned out for the Whites over the years, and Fulham currently have one of the most decorated players in the Premier League in their ranks.

Of course, we're talking about Willian.

The Brazilian is a two-time Premier League champion with Chelsea, and speaking on the BBC Match of the Day Top 10 Podcast, Gary Lineker has named Willian alongside Diego Costa and Eden Hazard as one of his favourite Premier League attacking trios of all-time.

Willian up there with the best
Lineker spoke about the former Chelsea trio and how Willian featured in one of the best attacks of all-time.

"Hazard, Costa and Willian, that's a really nice mix because you have the mix of different assets amongst those three," Lineker said.

Last man standing
As much as we hate to give Chelsea any sort of praise, we can appreciate just how good that attack was, and the fact that Willian is the last man standing amongst those three playing at the top level is a testament to his ability and professionalism.

Eden Hazard announced his retirement this week, Diego Costa is back playing in Brazil, while Willian is still winning Man of the Match awards in the Premier League for Fulham.

Every now and then, Fulham do get their hands on one of these Premier League legends and more often than not they light up Craven Cottage, and Willian has certainly won over the hearts of the Fulham fanbase during his time at the club so far, even if he used to play for Chelsea.

https://www.fulham.news/2023/10/12/really-nice-gary-lineker-says-fulham-player-was-in-one-of-the-best-attacks-in-pl-history/

WhiteJC

Fulham fans to protest against ticket prices before Manchester United clash
Supporters groups to make their voices heard against a "misguided" policy that they say is making tickets "increasingly unaffordable"

The Fulham Supporters' Trust (FST) have called the club's ticket prices "increasingly unaffordable" and say they will stage an organised protest outside Craven Cottage in November.

Fulham host Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday November 4, and a number of supporters' groups will convene to make their feelings clear ahead of the match.

The FST say that game is, on average, 18 per cent more expensive to attend than the same fixture last season.

A statement released by the FST said: "The problem is a completely misguided ticket pricing policy that fundamentally misunderstands what it means to be a fan. It's a policy which, piece by piece, is alienating a large part of our core fan base.

"It all started in 2018 [when] Fulham stormed back to the Premier League at Wembley. The euphoria of that day was quickly replaced by [...] matchday tickets rising steeply as high as £55 in the Hammersmith End and more expensive elsewhere. Whilst season tickets were fairly priced, this 'Premier League tax' was a sign of things to come."

The statement continued: "Despite relegation (twice), a pandemic and a massively overrunning rebuild of the Riverside Stand which should by now be bringing in much-needed non-matchday revenue, we finally seem to have some stability on the pitch.

"However, off the pitch those £55 tickets now feel more like an aspiration than a burden. For our upcoming game against Manchester United, the majority of seats in the Hammersmith End have risen 18% since last season and a whopping 40% since 2019, now standing at £77.

"If you want to watch from the side it's even more — up to £106 in the Johnny Haynes Stand and £160 in the Riverside. These are the most expensive standard tickets in the Premier League and it's not just the high profile matches that are on the rise.

"Ticket prices for all categories of match have risen steeply since last year, typically 18% in the three old stands and substantially more in the Riverside. The majority of adult tickets behind the goal cost £71 against Sheffield United with prices at the sides up to £125. For a family of four Fulham fans it would now cost from £172 – £212 to attend such a game in the Hammersmith End. So much for us being "a family friendly" club.

"What about season tickets? Those prices have also been climbing – up 10% in 2022 and another 18% in 2023 with prices as much as £3,000 in the incomplete Riverside. If next season's renewal prices match this year's new season ticket prices, as history tells us they're likely to, we'll have seen a 66% hike in three years."

"There are better ways to balance the books than to seek to make a few tens of thousands from fans who earn normal wages in the real world"

The FST added that they "understand the challenges" of running a successful football club, but insisted Fulham fans are "not being heard by the senior management."

They said they want an "overhaul of the business model" and insisted there are "better ways to balance the books than to seek to make a few tens of thousands from fans who earn normal wages in the real world."

The statement ended by pledging to protest, saying: "For our game against Manchester United, the Fulham Supporters' Trust will join forces with the Fulham Lillies and a large number of Fulham media outlets to demonstrate to senior club management that Fulham fans are united against increasingly unaffordable ticket prices that threaten the family friendly nature of our club.

"The fan media outlets support this action, have endorsed this statement and will publicise it to the wider fan base."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fans-protest-ticket-prices-b1113167.html

WhiteJC

Teenager Luc de Fougerolles impressing at Canada camp ahead of Japan friendly
London-born defender joining national team for 1st time

It's been quite a week for Luc de Fougerolles, and it's not over yet.

The London-born defender, who qualifies for Canada through his Canadian-born father, turned 18 in Japan where he is wearing Canadian colours for the first time. De Fougerolles and the 44th-ranked Canadians take on No. 19 Japan on Friday in Niigata in an international friendly.

Interim Canada coach Mauro Biello is no stranger to the Fulham teenager, having called him up twice earlier this year to the Canadian under-20 team. But first COVID and then exams got in the way.

This time, there were no obstacles.

"Finally. It's been a long time coming," de Fougerolles said. "But I'm happy to be with the national team."
It's been quite a journey with the call-up to the senior side somewhat unexpected, despite regular contact with Biello.

De Fougerolles' father Jean is originally from Montreal but settled in England after coming to London to study.

A young Luc was spotted by both Fulham and Chelsea. After spending time at Fulham at the age of six, he had a tryout at Chelsea before returning to Fulham and joining the Cottagers' under-eight team.

"I've been there my whole life basically, knowing the people there [and] loving it" de Fougerolles said of Fulham, whose Craven Cottage home sits on the bank of the Thames.

While a Fulham fan growing up, he liked to watch former Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta.

Today, he is a regular starter in Premier League 2, which is made up of Premier League under-21 teams. And he saw first-team action for the Premier League team during its pre-season U.S. tour this summer against Chelsea and Aston Villa.

"A very good step-up. Playing some men's football which is obviously very good for me," said de Fougerolles, who has also trained with the first team.

'Brave on the ball'
De Fougerolles, who has visited family in Canada several times, has already impressed Biello.

"He's done really well," Biello said Thursday from Japan. "A young kid, he's blended in. He's brave on the ball, really confident. He's fearless defensively. It's really good to get him into the environment. He fit right in."

De Fougerolles, who signed his first pro contract in April, plays both centre back and right back and is comfortable on the ball.

"I like to have the ball at my feet and I like to play out," he said.

Canada sat out the FIFA September international window, with Canada Soccer pointing to "financial constraints" and its "inability to confirm an additional high-quality opponent."

So the game against Japan serves as the Canadian men's team's one warm-up ahead of a pair of crucial November CONCACAF Nations League matches that serve as Copa America qualifiers.

Japan, the top-ranked team in Asia, is coming off September wins over No. 15 Germany (4-2) and No. 42 Turkey (4-1). And it plays No. 29 Tunisia in Kobe four days after the Canada game as it gears up for the start of its 2026 World Cup qualification campaign in November and the Asian Cup in January.

Borjan back as captain
Goalkeeper Milan Borjan will captain Canada at the Denka Big Swan Stadium in Niigata. Alphonso Davies is expected to start at left fullback, as he does for Bayern Munich, rather than in a more forward attacking role.

Influential midfielder Stephen Eustaquio will miss the game through injury, however. Biello said Eustaquio arrived with a knock from a weekend game with Portugal's FC Porto and wasn't deemed fit to play.
Eustaquio has since returned home to rehab the injury. Canada did not call up a replacement, citing the difficulties in getting someone to Japan in time.

The Canadian men are 1-2-0 all-time against Japan, winning 2-1 the last time they met — in a World Cup warm-up game last November.

Canada, along with the 11th-ranked U.S., No. 12 Mexico and No. 46 Costa Rica, has been drawn directly into the two-legged Nations League quarterfinals. The winners there qualify for the 2024 Copa America as well as the Nations League finals in March.

The quarterfinals losers will meet in a pair of play-In matches to determine the final two CONCACAF teams at Copa America.

Home game in November
Canada Soccer announced Thursday that the Canada return leg of the home-and-away quarterfinal will take place Nov. 21 at Toronto's BMO Field. Canada's opponent will be determined during the October international window.

The Canadian men are 4-2-2 this year, last playing in July when they lost a penalty shootout to the U.S. in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal in Cincinnati. Both 2023 losses came at the hands of the Americans.

The Japanese roster includes Liverpool's Wataru Endo, Monaco's Takumi Minamino, Brighton's Kaoru Mitoma and Real Sociedad's Takefusa Kubo. But Lazio's Daichi Kamada and Freiburg's Ritsu Doan miss out, reportedly for conditioning reasons.

The Japanese won their group at last year's World Cup, posting 2-1 wins over No. 10 Spain and Germany around a 1-0 loss to Costa Rica, before falling to No. 6 Croatia in a penalty shootout in the round of 16.

Canada, in its first trip the men's World Cup in 36 years, exited Qatar after first-round losses to No. 5 Belgium, Croatia and No. 13 Morocco.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccer-canada-luc-de-fougerolles-1.6993878

WhiteJC

Fulham teenager Luc de Fougerolles impresses at Canada camp ahead of Japan friendly
It's been quite a week for Luc de Fougerolles, and it's not over yet. The London-born defender, who qualifies for Canada through his Canadian-born father, turned 18 in Japan where he is wearing Canadian colours for the first time.

It's been quite a week for Luc de Fougerolles, and it's not over yet.

The London-born defender, who qualifies for Canada through his Canadian-born father, turned 18 in Japan where he is wearing Canadian colours for the first time. De Fougerolles and the 44th-ranked Canadians take on No. 19 Japan on Friday in Niigata in an international friendly.

Interim Canada coach Mauro Biello is no stranger to the Fulham teenager, having called him up twice earlier this year to the Canadian under-20 team. But first COVID and then exams got in the way.

This time, there were no obstacles.

"Finally. It's been a long time coming," de Fougerolles said. "But I'm happy to be with the national team."

It's been quite a journey with the call-up to the senior side somewhat unexpected, despite regular contact with Biello.

De Fougerolles' father Jean is originally from Montreal but settled in England after coming to London to study.

A young Luc was spotted by both Fulham and Chelsea. After spending time at Fulham at the age of six, he had a tryout at Chelsea before returning to Fulham and joining the Cottagers' under-eight team.

"I've been there my whole life basically, knowing the people there (and) loving it" de Fougerolles said of Fulham, whose Craven Cottage home sits on the bank of the Thames.

While a Fulham fan growing up, he liked to watch former Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta.

Today, he is a regular starter in Premier League 2, which is made up of Premier League under-21 teams. And he saw first-team action for the Premier League team during its pre-season U.S. tour this summer against Chelsea and Aston Villa.

"A very good step-up. Playing some men's football which is obviously very good for me," said de Fougerolles, who has also trained with the first team.

De Fougerolles, who has visited family in Canada several times, has already impressed Biello.

"He's done really well," Biello said Thursday from Japan. "A young kid, he's blended in. He's brave on the ball, really confident. He's fearless defensively. It's really good to get him into the environment ... He fit right in."

De Fougerolles, who signed his first pro contract in April, plays both centre back and right back and is comfortable on the ball.

"I like to have the ball at my feet and I like to play out," he said.

Canada sat out the FIFA September international window, with Canada Soccer pointing to "financial constraints'' and its "inability to confirm an additional high-quality opponent.''

So the game against Japan serves as the Canadian men's team's one warm-up ahead of a pair of crucial November CONCACAF Nations League matches that serve as Copa America qualifiers.

Japan, the top-ranked team in Asia, is coming off September wins over No. 15 Germany (4-2) and No. 42 Turkey (4-1). And it plays No. 29 Tunisia in Kobe four days after the Canada game as it gears up for the start of its 2026 World Cup qualification campaign in November and the Asian Cup in January.

Goalkeeper Milan Borjan will captain Canada at the Denka Big Swan Stadium in Niigata. Alphonso Davies is expected to start at left fullback, as he does for Bayern Munich, rather than in a more forward attacking role.

Influential midfielder Stephen Eustaquio will miss the game through injury, however. Biello said Eustaquio arrived with a knock from a weekend game with Portugal's FC Porto and wasn't deemed fit to play.

Eustaquio has since returned home to rehab the injury. Canada did not call up a replacement, citing the difficulties in getting someone to Japan in time.

Canada has history in Niigata, losing 3-0 to Japan at the same venue at the 2001 Confederations Cup. Paul Stalteri, one of Biello's assistant coaches, was part of that Canadian squad.

The Canadian men are 1-2-0 all-time against Japan, winning 2-1 the last time they met — in a World Cup warm-up game last November.

Canada, along with the 11th-ranked U.S., No. 12 Mexico and No. 46 Costa Rica, has been drawn directly into the two-legged Nations League quarterfinals. The winners there qualify for the 2024 Copa America as well as the Nations League finals in March.

The quarterfinals losers will meet in a pair of play-In matches to determine the final two CONCACAF teams at Copa America.

Canada Soccer announced Thursday that the Canada return leg of the home-and-away quarterfinal will take place Nov. 21 at Toronto's BMO Field. Canada's opponent will be determined during the October international window.

The Canadian men are 4-2-2 this year, last playing in July when they lost a penalty shootout to the U.S. in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal in Cincinnati. Both 2023 losses came at the hands of the Americans.

The Japanese roster includes Liverpool's Wataru Endo, Monaco's Takumi Minamino, Brighton's Kaoru Mitoma and Real Sociedad's Takefusa Kubo. But Lazio's Daichi Kamada and Freiburg's Ritsu Doan miss out, reportedly for conditioning reasons.

The Japanese won their group at last year's World Cup, posting 2-1 wins over No. 10 Spain and Germany around a 1-0 loss to Costa Rica, before falling to No. 6 Croatia in a penalty shootout in the round of 16.

Canada, in its first trip the men's World Cup in 36 years, exited Qatar after first-round losses to No. 5 Belgium, Croatia and No. 13 Morocco.

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/indigenous-news/fulham-teenager-luc-de-fougerolles-impresses-at-canada-camp-ahead-of-japan-friendly-7673722

WhiteJC

Player named among 7 most underwhelming PL summer signings so far, after £5m Wolves exit
Raul Jimenez has been named among the worst Premier League signings of the summer by the Mirror, after leaving Wolves for Fulham.

The Mexico international departed Molineux after four years at the club, the first of which he spent on loan from Benfica.

Jimenez quickly became a real favourite at Wolves, showcasing a brilliant all-round game.

After a couple of years at the club, he had developed into one of the most feared centre-forwards in the Premier League.

But things would change in the cruelest of ways for Jimenez.

In November 2020 he suffered a skull fracture in a game against Arsenal.

Jimenez would come back from that awful setback, but his career has not been the same since.

He left Wolves after becoming a bit-part player, with former manager Julen Lopetegui constantly overlooking him towards the end of last season.

And now, JImenez has had a testing start at Fulham...

Raul Jimenez named among the worst Premier League signings so far
The Mirror have produced a list of players who have struggled since making moves in the summer.

Jimenez has been included, having failed to open his account so far for the Cottagers.

Jimenez has made seven Premier League appearances so far for his new club.

All seven of those have been starts but against Sheffield United last time out he was left on the bench by Marco Silva.

The Mirror say Jimenez has shown some 'bright sparks'. And he caused problems for Arsenal in the recent 2-2 draw.

But the goal threat just hasn't really been there so far.

Most Wolves fans will hope Jimenez improves
It is a shame that Jimenez – who recently admitted he found it really difficult to leave Wolves – hasn't quite hit the ground running at Fulham.

Most Wolves fans want the 32-year-old to try and get going again, after his post-injury frustrations.

Jimenez gave a lot for Wolves and is probably one of the best players ever to wear the old gold shirt.

Hopefully it will start to happen for him soon.

Maybe it is a little harsh for him to appear on such a list considering he was signed a short-term option and for just £5 million.

But perhaps his start does show that Wolves were perhaps right in sanctioning the player's exit when they did though.

https://www.molineux.news/news/player-named-among-7-most-underwhelming-pl-summer-signings-so-far-after-5m-wolves-exit/

WhiteJC

Sheffield United's Chris Basham undergoes surgery
Sheffield United's Chris Basham has undergone two separate operations in London following a serious ankle injury during his side's match at Fulham last weekend.

The 35-year-old was starting his third top-flight game of the term for the newly-promoted Blades alongside Anel Ahmedhodzic and summer arrival Auston Trusty in a back three against Marco Silva's Cottagers.

With the scores level at 0-0 after 35 minutes, Basham attempted to swing a cross into the box from the right, however his left foot gave way, leading to a nasty-looking ankle break.

The centre-back was given lengthy treatment on the Craven Cottage turf - while being consoled by Fulham's Tim Ream - before being stretchered off and rushed to hospital.

Almost a week after the incident, Basham has posted on his Instagram account to provide an update to supporters on his situation following the serious injury.

"Had my two surgeries done now and I can't thank the surgeons enough for the fast response to me, the first surgery was for cleaning up the wound I suffered and dislocation, the second surgery was to repair the ligaments and to fit a plate on my bone where the fracture was," Basham said on his Instagram account on Thursday morning.

"I'm in a cast now and it feel a lot more comfortable. Will be in London still for another few days but then be going home to recover in the right way.

"Trying to stay positive everyday with great family and friends around me. Still overwhelmed by the support I have received thank you bash."

With Basham's return to action currently unknown, it is likely that Sheffield United will plan to be without their veteran defender for the remainder of the 2023-24 campaign.

Jack Robinson replaced Basham in the first half at Craven Cottage, and the Blades were unable to record their first Premier League win of the term in West London, losing 3-1 as Bobby Decordova-Reid and Willian both made the net ripple for the hosts.

United sit bottom of the top-flight standings after collecting a single point from their opening eight matches, meaning that they are three points behind fellow top-flight newcomers Luton Town in 17th.

Paul Heckingbottom's side are set to be without a number of their experienced defenders when the season resumes following October's international break, with John Egan and George Baldock both sidelined due to calf strains.

After comfortably finishing second in the Championship last season to gain promotion, the Blades have struggled to contain top-flight attacks so far this term, conceding 22 goals in eight matches, including eight in a single contest against Newcastle United.

Bramall Lane will welcome back supporters for the first time since that defeat against Eddie Howe's Magpies as Sheffield United host Manchester United in the Premier League on October 21.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/sheffield-united/injury-news/news/sheffield-uniteds-chris-basham-undergoes-surgery_526315.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Bayern Munich interested in young midfielder from Schalke
The midfield department at Bayern Munich is set to be strengthened in January. After missing out on Joao Palhinha on the deadline day, Die Roten is eager to sign a number six in the winter transfer window. A senior midfield acquisition is likely in January, which could well be Palhinha if a reasonable fee is agreed with Fulham.

Along with adding an experienced midfielder to the squad, Bayern are also looking at several young midfielders that can be signed in the next couple of transfer window. The Bavarian club is reportedly keeping a close eye on a young midfielder from Schalke.

According to Sky Sports in Germany, Schalke midfielder Assan Ouedraogo is on Bayern's list of midfield targets. The Bavarian club is going to heavily scout Ouedraogo this season with a view of signing him in the summer transfer window.

Ouedraogo's professional contract kicks in May when he turns 18. Sky reveals that based on certain conditions, a release clause worth €15-20 million will be active in Ouedraogo's contract. Brighton, Bayer Leverkusen, and RB Leipzig are also keeping a close eye on the situation of Ouedraogo.

Bayern can consider signing Ouedraogo in the summer and send him out on loan for regular playing time. Schalke may benefit from such a deal if Die Roten allow him to stay at Schalke for one more season.

The 17-year-old has played nine games for Schalke in the second division this season. He has primarily played in central and attacking midfield position for Schalke, scoring one goal in nine appearances. Despite making his debut for the senior team this season, Ouedraogo is getting a good amount of playing time. He is an exciting midfield talent who largely excels higher up the pitch as he averages 1.2 shots per game, along with creating chances with his astute dribbling. (Stats courtesy: Whoscored)

Ouedraogo may not instantly get the chance to play in the senior team at Bayern if a move takes place in the summer. He may eventually compete for game time in the first team after a couple of good loan spells. It will be a signing for the future from Bayern's point of view.

Apart from Ouedraogo, Bayern have been also linked with a move for Valencia's Javi Guerro. The Spanish midfielder is playing regularly for Valencia's first team, which has attracted interest from several big clubs. The record Bundesliga champions are also reportedly scouting young Brazilian midfielder Luis Guilherme. Barcelona and Real Madrid have also been credited with interest in the 17-year-old midfielder.

https://bayernstrikes.com/2023/10/12/bayern-munich-interested-young-midfielder-schalke/