watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just thinking back

Started by Peabody, October 17, 2023, 12:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I am sure there are few of you who remember the early years of Johnny Haynes, when we had the most wonderful forward line, which was the envy of the football world?

There at outside right was Arthur Stevens, he was unlucky because that was the era of Finny and Matthews, otherwise Arthur would have won a ton of caps.

Then came Bobby Robson at inside right and we all know what happened to him, great player and great manager, pity Fulham sacked him.

What can I say about Beddy Jezzard, absolute diamond of a centre Forward. Got two England caps, pity was one was against Hungary and we lost 7-1. His career ended prematurely but not only was a terrific player, he was a pretty good manager as well.

Now we come to Nos 10. Was there ever a better inside left? Perfection personified. Aptly named The Maestro. You want a pass to your feet? you got it.

Now, outside left we had two. Charlie Mitten first, he nurtured JH in his early years, helped him become the player he was. Charlie wasn't a bad player either but wasn't with us for long but along came Tosh, not as good as Charlie but what a shot he had on him and what a character, well, most of knew Tosh.

That was a great forward line and it gave us lots ands of goals. Only trouble was our defense, they also gave us lots of goals, but in our own net.

That folks is why I believe in the saying Fulhamish

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Peabody on October 17, 2023, 12:39:04 PMI am sure there are few of you who remember the early years of Johnny Haynes, when we had the most wonderful forward line, which was the envy of the football world?

There at outside right was Arthur Stevens, he was unlucky because that was the era of Finny and Matthews, otherwise Arthur would have won a ton of caps.

Then came Bobby Robson at inside right and we all know what happened to him, great player and great manager, pity Fulham sacked him.

What can I say about Beddy Jezzard, absolute diamond of a centre Forward. Got two England caps, pity was one was against Hungary and we lost 7-1. His career ended prematurely but not only was a terrific player, he was a pretty good manager as well.

Now we come to Nos 10. Was there ever a better inside left? Perfection personified. Aptly named The Maestro. You want a pass to your feet? you got it.

Now, outside left we had two. Charlie Mitten first, he nurtured JH in his early years, helped him become the player he was. Charlie wasn't a bad player either but wasn't with us for long but along came Tosh, not as good as Charlie but what a shot he had on him and what a character, well, most of knew Tosh.

That was a great forward line and it gave us lots ands of goals. Only trouble was our defense, they also gave us lots of goals, but in our own net.

When I watched my first match Maurice Cook led the line.Haynes and Tosh played.I would have to jut out my chin and assert that Jimmy Hill wore no 8 and Leggatt was on the right wing but not entirely sure.Certainly I missed out on Arthur.

bog

I am proud to say I saw all of them Peabody and it was in the second division! Newcastle tried to buy the inside trio all at once. Just about the best front 5 in the country. Great memories Peabody.    (Just went back!)

RaySmith

Quote from: Grassy Noel on October 17, 2023, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: Peabody on October 17, 2023, 12:39:04 PMI am sure there are few of you who remember the early years of Johnny Haynes, when we had the most wonderful forward line, which was the envy of the football world?

When I watched my first match Maurice Cook led the line.Haynes and Tosh played.I would have to jut out my chin and assert that Jimmy Hill wore no 8 and Leggatt was on the right wing but not entirely sure.Certainly I missed out on Arthur.

Similar to this for my first games, can't really remember the actual first game.
The forward line I remember  for my first games, and ongoing for quite a bit was-
 Leggat,7- who could also play  centre forward, and sometimes Johnny Key played RW; Jackie Henderson, 8 (?), though certainly remember  seeing Bobby Robson play; Maurice Cook, 9; Haynes, 10; Brian 'Pat' O'Connell, 11, though I also saw Tosh play there, making fans laugh with his banter!

Just missed Jimmy Hill, who was on  team photos that I swapped with mates - we were all mad on collecting autographs.

Great post, Peabody.

filham

Oh Peabody what an attack that was, no doubt the best we have ever seen. Beddy Jezzard was perhaps underated ,his pace was electric and he scored so many goals. Also don't forget his spell as manager, won promotion to the top flight in his first season and then kept us up for some nine seasons on a shoe string budget, who could match that.
Tosh and Mitten were great on the left ,we had to wait for Barret and Boa to see anyone close to them.

Woodlawn

The most accurate post I have read on here in a long time,Well done Peabody

Fernhurst

Thank you Mr P ——— You should do these more often
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

As someone already mentioned Newcastle tried to sin Haynes ,Jezard and Robson as a trio.
Anyone like to try to estimate a value  the three of them in today's transfer market. I wouldn't attempt. they would be priceless.

ron

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2023, 06:45:36 PMAs someone already mentioned Newcastle tried to sin Haynes ,Jezard and Robson as a trio.
Anyone like to try to estimate a value  the three of them in today's transfer market. I wouldn't attempt. they would be priceless.

We remember that marvellous photo of those three on the terraces after training.

sunburywhite

Fulham squad 1960/61
Goalkeeper
Ken Hewkins      Ken Hewkins   South Africa   South Africa   30/10/1929
Tony Macedo      Tony Macedo   Gibraltar   Gibraltar   22/02/1938
Defender
George Cohen      George Cohen   England   England   22/10/1939
Bill Dodgin      Bill Dodgin   England   England   04/11/1931
Johnny Key      Johnny Key   England   England   05/11/1937
Derek Lampe      Derek Lampe   England   England   20/05/1937
Jimmy Langley      Jimmy Langley   England   England   07/02/1929
Midfielder
Stan Brown      Stan Brown   England   England   15/09/1941
Mike Johnson      Mike Johnson   England   England   04/10/1933
Robin Lawler      Robin Lawler   Ireland   Ireland   28/08/1925
Eddie Lowe      Eddie Lowe   England   England   11/07/1925
Alan Mullery      Alan Mullery   England   England   23/11/1941
Forward
Bobby Brown      Bobby Brown   England   England   02/05/1940
Tosh Chamberlain      Tosh Chamberlain   England   England   11/07/1934
Maurice Cook      Maurice Cook   England   England   10/12/1931
John Doherty      John Doherty   England   England   26/04/1936
David Edwards      David Edwards   Wales   Wales   10/12/1934
Johnny Haynes      Johnny Haynes   England   England   17/10/1934
Jimmy Hill      Jimmy Hill   England   England   22/07/1928
Graham Leggat      Graham Leggat   Scotland   Scotland   20/06/1934
Pat O'Connell      Pat O'Connell   England   England   13/09/1937
Reg Stratton      Reg Stratton   England   England   10/07/1939
Trevor Watson      Trevor Watson   England   England   26/0
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

OldBrownShoe

Great stuff and memories dear friends. And what a good crowd and support we had.
Let's not forget the legends that were Jim Langley,Roy Bentley, Alan Mullery Stan Brown, Fred Callaghan, Robin Lawler, Rodney Marsh, Steve Earleamongst others.
And Ken Coton bless him.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

bog

To me there is no doubt that Stevens, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes, Mitten is our best ever front 5.   

I offer a front 5 of players since as subs

Leggat, Clarke, Saha, Murphy, Barrett.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: bog on October 18, 2023, 03:21:45 PMTo me there is no doubt that Stevens, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes, Mitten is our best ever front 5.   

I offer a front 5 of players since as subs

Leggat, Clarke, Saha, Murphy, Barrett.

And to think that Arthur Stevens drove lorries in the Summer to make money when not in the playing season.

LittleErn

Mirrors my memories exactly, but I think Leggatt was an improvement on Pablo (Stevens). I agree about the defence - made for entertaining games! It got better with Langley and Cohen.

Peabody

Quote from: LittleErn on October 19, 2023, 12:24:28 AM

Mirrors my memories exactly, but I think Leggatt was an improvement on Pablo (Stevens). I agree about the defence - made for entertaining games! It got better with Langley and Cohen.

Leggatt and Stevens, both very similar imo, both wingers who could play centre forward both had impressive goal scoring and, tell me I am not imagining it but did they not play together at times?

bog

Morning Mr. P. Good points. Yes Graham and Arthur were able to play and score in most of the front 5 positions. By my reckoning they played just 1 game in the same side. Arthur's last season was 1958/9 (when Graham arrived) and he made 3 appearances, the last a 1-0 home defeat to Liverpool. The only game they were in the same line up was a home 1-1 v Scunthorpe. Graham number 7 and Arthur 10. What grand memories you stir Mr. P.   

filham

This thread is listing some of our best ever players and remember their max wage was £20 per week.

jarv

I first went to Fulham in 1960, 12 years old..  Having moved from Scotland, living in Sothfields, it was the nearest tube station and I just wanted to watch football. Instantly astounded by J. Haynes, I had never seen a player like him so I kept coming back just to see him. The fact that we had a scot, mr. Leggat gave me 2 reasons to keep returning to the cottage.  Happy days.

Dodgin

Days when you didn't have concern about getting a ticket, the guy with the megaphone getting you to make room on the Riverside. Getting a rail to lean on. Going down the other end at half-time. Watching the best player in the country.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Dodgin on October 19, 2023, 10:38:48 AMDays when you didn't have concern about getting a ticket, the guy with the megaphone getting you to make room on the Riverside. Getting a rail to lean on. Going down the other end at half-time. Watching the best player in the country.

And being able to strew your hot Percy Dalton nutshells all over the terraces in the knowledge that they would be swept up after the game. Despite the wonderful forward line I was also a bit swept up: i.e. in admiration for the Arsenal forward Arthur Milton. I thought that it was magical that he could play for England at two different sports even if his football international career was a very short one.