watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just thinking back again

Started by Peabody, October 20, 2023, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I remember the debut's of Tony Macedo, Alan Mullery and George Cohen. They all played in our South East Counties team ( equivalent to todays Under 18s)and they were like a breath of fresh air, they took the place of good players, like Ian Black and Robin Lawlor and revolutionised our playing style it was incredible. Senior players like Roy Bentley, Eddie Lowe and Jimmy Langley took them under their wings and nurtured them. Just how good were they well George and Alan became full England caps and Tony was deemed good enough but because he was born in Gibraltar they wouldn't pick him, however, he did play for the England under 23s.

bog

Morning Peabody. I'm with you there. I would add Roy Dwight to that list of top players who came from that South East Counties league side. 57 goals in 80 games on the wing or at centre forward. He was sold to Forest, scored in the 1959 Cup Final before breaking his leg. I have always wondered why he was sold.

sunburywhite

Didnt Tony also play for English League vs Scottish league when they used to play the games each year?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Peabody

Quote from: sunburywhite on October 20, 2023, 09:42:33 AMDidnt Tony also play for English League vs Scottish league when they used to play the games each year?

He did, but any nationality could play in those games

filham

Yes , Macedo, Cohen, Mullery three of our all time greats. Now look at their ages when they established their place in the Fulham team, makes me smile when I now read that we are sending a promising 21 year old out on loan to gain experience.

RaySmith

Good post Peabody.

Remember the SE Counties league, the juniors, and nurturing so many great players for Fulham, as we still do.

Macedo , Cohen and Langley were among my first Fulham heroes, while, older, Eddie Lowe was a role model to me, as well as the young Fulham players, since he played in my own position of left half - with his work rate, stamina, tackling, and passing skill. A real, honest, team player.
I used to copy his slide tackles on mates in the park.

In fact I've seen all the players mentioned in Peabody's post, except Ian Black and Roy Bentley - I saw Irish international,  Robin Lawlor, then getting to the end of his career, play several times as a reserve full-back.
Interesting to read that he was a mentor for the likes of Cohen and Mullery.