watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Baird blasts Premier League prima donnas

Started by FFCcravencottage, January 20, 2011, 12:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCcravencottage

Shame more footballer's today didn't have the same attitude.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/20/baird-blasts-premier-league-prima-donnas-64767-28023048/
CHRIS Baird has no time for Premier League prima donnas who slap in a transfer request the minute they are out of the team.

And the Fulham defender reckons he has proved a point by sticking with the club - despite disappointment both off and on the pitch.

The international's family home in Northern Ireland was petrol-bombed in September.

At the same time, the 28-year-old was also having an uncertain period on the pitch, as he was shuffled around the team, appearing at right back, in midfield, and very occasionally his preferred option in central defence.

But even that was better than the long spell in the semi-wilderness, when he was given only 23 starts in two seasons after joining in a £3million transfer from Southampton in July 2007.

But the reward for keeping cool is a run of games at left back - of all places - to go with an extended contract until July 2013 and a contender for goal of the month on Match of the Day.

That fabulous right-foot missile at Stoke City on December 28 - the first of a double in a 2-0 win - is something Baird would dearly love to repeat when the two face each other in the return match at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

But Baird admitted it has not all been plain sailing.

He said: "It was a tough time when I wasn't getting games. But I never wanted to leave. Sure, you read of players who want a transfer if they're not in the team.

"But that's just an easy option - and a lot of them have done it before. I've no time for that.

"The business with my mother's house was dealt with by me. I just told her to say nothing - and I just got on with it back here, and it went away pretty quickly - although that wasn't the first time it had happened."

Matt

Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

jarv

A young lad I worked with here in USA was Baird's flat/room mate when they were kids at Southampton together. He said CB was just a decent ordinary Irish lad who loved his football. One of football's good guys I guess.

King_Crud

Quote"The business with my mother's house was dealt with by me. I just told her to say nothing - and I just got on with it back here, and it went away pretty quickly - although that wasn't the first time it had happened."

Why is he being targetted, does he have some history with the troubles?

Matt

Quote from: King_Crud on January 20, 2011, 12:35:18 PM
Quote"The business with my mother's house was dealt with by me. I just told her to say nothing - and I just got on with it back here, and it went away pretty quickly - although that wasn't the first time it had happened."

When it happened I believe that there wasn't no personal intention with the attack. But I haven't followed the story since. Someone on here should know more.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

Mr Fulham

I love Chris Baird (and H&H for that matter) - three great, down-to-earth guys. :clap_hands:

SmithyFFC

FTID

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: Matt The Swede on January 20, 2011, 12:42:48 PM

When it happened I believe that there wasn't no personal intention with the attack. But I haven't followed the story since. Someone on here should know more.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was to do with the fact that he and his family are protestant, and the rest of their street/neighbourhood is catholic. In fact it might be the other way round, but basically they've been targetted in the past because of their values but they've never moved away. I saw an article when it happened and there was a picutre of the family house. Now obviously I don't live in anything like a stately home or mansion or anything of that nature, but the house looked pretty run down in a not so nice area. It did therefore lead me to question why Chris doesn't try and find a new house for his mum... afterall, he's earning what, £20k a week? Multiply that by 50 and he's earning a tasty sum, and I'm sure he could save her a lot of hassle by finding her a nicer house in a nicer area, but I suppose that would be effectively letting those who have targetted her get away with it.

I think Chris is a great role model for all young footballers and should be given a lot of credit for the way in whcih he's gone about his business. I was never one of the ones who booed him when he came on during the Sanchez area, but he's become a crowd favourite since with his no-nonsense style and inmense left foot. I wish him the best of luck and hope he bags a few on saturday  :045:

cebu

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on January 20, 2011, 04:44:18 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was to do with the fact that he and his family are protestant, and the rest of their street/neighbourhood is catholic. In fact it might be the other way round, but basically they've been targetted in the past because of their values but they've never moved away. I saw an article when it happened and there was a picutre of the family house. Now obviously I don't live in anything like a stately home or mansion or anything of that nature, but the house looked pretty run down in a not so nice area. It did therefore lead me to question why Chris doesn't try and find a new house for his mum... afterall, he's earning what, £20k a week? Multiply that by 50 and he's earning a tasty sum, and I'm sure he could save her a lot of hassle by finding her a nicer house in a nicer area, but I suppose that would be effectively letting those who have targetted her get away with it.

I think Chris is a great role model for all young footballers and should be given a lot of credit for the way in whcih he's gone about his business. I was never one of the ones who booed him when he came on during the Sanchez area, but he's become a crowd favourite since with his no-nonsense style and inmense left foot. I wish him the best of luck and hope he bags a few on saturday  :045:

Chris Baird's family is catholic.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: cebu on January 20, 2011, 04:56:49 PM
Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on January 20, 2011, 04:44:18 PM

Chris Baird's family is catholic.

Told you it was one way round or the other, couldn't remember, thanks for clearing that up

duffbeer

Another take is that perhaps he's just a stubborn Irishman drinking too much Duff.   Either way, I like him.

Tom

Sounds like a good man with his head on straight.  :54:
Fulham for life!