News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham have the smallest pitch - does it harm our play?

Started by Nick Bateman, November 05, 2023, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Fulham's smallest pitch in the Premier League is 100 x 65 metres an area size of 6,500m. Most clubs opt for around 7,140m.

Question is does this harm our style of play?

A small pitch means less running distance which is good for counter-attacking but is bad for playing out from the back as we can get closed down easier. The saying 'it's the same for both sides' so our opponents are equally hampered or benefit from the lesser area.

A good manager like Marco Silva should allow for this and exploit the advantages therein and reduce the disadvantages. Being our home ground we should be used to it much more than our visitors.

Though I personally think Fulham play better on a larger pitch it is what it is.

Premier League pitch sizes
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Somerset Fulham

Don't we always have the smallest, or one of the smallest pitches?

Its one of the constraints of the old grounds and having those drop offs (covered in astroturf) in front of the stands.

hovewhite

Well if we made the pitch bigger they would feel the fans evenmore.

RaySmith

You could also argue that it suits us - we are used to playing on this pitch, whereas other teams aren't.

Roberty

Stoke, under manager Tony Pulis had to use a bigger pitch when they played European matches
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Nick Bateman on November 05, 2023, 04:58:51 PMFulham's smallest pitch in the Premier League is 100 x 65 metres an area size of 6,500m. Most clubs opt for around 7,140m.

Question is does this harm our style of play?

A small pitch means less running distance which is good for counter-attacking but is bad for playing out from the back as we can get closed down easier. The saying 'it's the same for both sides' so our opponents are equally hampered or benefit from the lesser area.

A good manager like Marco Silva should allow for this and exploit the advantages therein and reduce the disadvantages. Being our home ground we should be used to it much more than our visitors.

Though I personally think Fulham play better on a larger pitch it is what it is.

Premier League pitch sizes

Have always thought that a larger pitch is more conducive to counter-attacking as that provides you more space to break in to.

bill taylors apprentice

The common size in the PL is 105m by 68m

Liverpools pitch is smaller than you may assume, 101 x 68 (only slightly bigger than ours) and they like a fast break.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Roberty on November 06, 2023, 08:40:46 AMStoke, under manager Tony Pulis had to use a bigger pitch when they played European matches
I thought Stoke made the pitch narrower when they could because of Delap and his long throw. Horrible and boring viewing. Was at the game and so pleased when we gave them a thorough bashing when Bardinho grabbed a brace. We had Hangeland and Schwarzer .. long throws produced nothing whatsoever.

JimmyConway

We don't have the quickest team so I would say bigger pitch sees us likely to be more exposed.

filham

The old Arsenal pitch at Highbury was pretty small and may have been smaller than the Cottage pitch.

alfie

Quote from: filham on November 06, 2023, 06:22:40 PMThe old Arsenal pitch at Highbury was pretty small and may have been smaller than the Cottage pitch.

Yes it was the smallest at the old Highbury ground.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Thailand Mick

we have enough trouble getting from one end to the other without making it longer,it would take us an extra 20 passes lol.

HamsterWheel

Some team should try the max pitch (120m x 90m) as it would be so different that other teams wouldn't be able to adapt. Not Fulham of course, no space.
Anfield's small pitch is the reason its not in the list of Euro 2028 stadiums.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: HamsterWheel on November 07, 2023, 02:11:57 PMSome team should try the max pitch (120m x 90m) as it would be so different that other teams wouldn't be able to adapt. Not Fulham of course, no space.
Anfield's small pitch is the reason its not in the list of Euro 2028 stadiums.

I thought it was because the scousers would nick the hubcaps off Euro teams coaches?!

Somerset Fulham

1980 just called, it asked for it's 'joke' back.

Nick Bateman