watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are struggling and in IMO our strongest option would be

Started by perry geyton, November 10, 2023, 03:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Given space TC can and often does cut a team to ribbons.  Denied space, he's a one footed luxury unlikely to win a battle of attrition.  Opposition players are smart to one-footedness and shifting the ball in tight spaces is so valuable.  Bringing him on in the second half makes sense, because that's when the spaces appear.  I never think "Oh no" when he starts.  I usually think "Oh good" when he comes on.

The irony of all this is that I've very much enjoyed TC for a decade.  If he had worked on his weaker foot at an early age, it is doubtful he would have been at Fulham for very long, or at all.  The best of him is rather special.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Quote from: Carborundum on November 11, 2023, 07:38:54 AMGiven space TC can and often does cut a team to ribbons.  Denied space, he's a one footed luxury unlikely to win a battle of attrition.  Opposition players are smart to one-footedness and shifting the ball in tight spaces is so valuable.  Bringing him on in the second half makes sense, because that's when the spaces appear.  I never think "Oh no" when he starts.  I usually think "Oh good" when he comes on.

The irony of all this is that I've very much enjoyed TC for a decade.  If he had worked on his weaker foot at an early age, it is doubtful he would have been at Fulham for very long, or at all.  The best of him is rather special.

Well said

Twig

Quote from: FreiBird on November 11, 2023, 12:25:40 AMCairney doesn't press which Pereira and Iwobi do very well, he's also too slow to effect games when everyone's fresh.

When everyone is tired he is a great option. Saying "we don't press" might be the most plastic thing ever said by the way.

We don't play a pressing game. But only people who don't know football or never get to a game would fail to notice that.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: C Block on November 10, 2023, 05:17:51 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 10, 2023, 04:09:50 PMI can see the merit in his selection but to be effective in stopping the opposition I'm not sure he has 90 mins of pressing in his legs.

TC has certainly upped his defensive work and I would certainly include him at some point during games more often.

Do you go to games?
We don't press teams,  look at last Saturday Muniz didn't press their keeper once instead choosing to give him the freedom of Craven Cottage, not sure Cairney should be singled out until the likes of Muniz, Wilson and Willian get instructed to do it.

I gave up my season ticket a couple of seasons ago and as I live 125 miles away I rarely attend home games these days.  I do watch games live on dodgy streams so I get enough of an idea of how we are playing.

But you are right, we don't press teams in the full press way some teams do nowadays so my wording wasn't completely accurate.

However, our players do compete and get goal side a lot more than we have in the past but our hard graft across the pitch is not the collective endeavour we see elsewhere. 

We do apply moments of pressing on the opponents even if some players do so more than others in our team and TC has demonstrated this in recent times but I doubt he would be able to do so for 90 mins as I tried to explain.

FreiBird

Quote from: Twig on November 11, 2023, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: FreiBird on November 11, 2023, 12:25:40 AMCairney doesn't press which Pereira and Iwobi do very well, he's also too slow to effect games when everyone's fresh.

When everyone is tired he is a great option. Saying "we don't press" might be the most plastic thing ever said by the way.

We don't play a pressing game. But only people who don't know football or never get to a game would fail to notice that.

hahaha oh my plastic. Saying we don't press is the most casual take I've ever seen. I know you've never kicked a ball in your life so you have no idea what you're talking about but please stop embarrassing yourself.

perry geyton

Let Joa and whoever's there  "Reed or Lukic or Iwobi" do the pressing

Let Tom do his thing and create chances, we are severely lacking on goals, his creativity is currently much needed

I guarantee he won't start tomorrow

Rather then putting him on near the end, start him then take him off in the last 3rd and replace him with  some steel

Twig

Quote from: FreiBird on November 11, 2023, 04:36:38 PM
Quote from: Twig on November 11, 2023, 10:31:40 AM

hahaha oh my plastic. Saying we don't press is the most casual take I've ever seen. I know you've never kicked a ball in your life so you have no idea what you're talking about but please stop embarrassing yourself.

Touché.

Brawn

I think the point, and it is a good one, is that Cairney is a #10 and isn't particularly great at #8, whereas Pereira and Iwobi can both play a more deeper role and give us something at both ends.

TC's Sporran

what games have you been watching? pereira and iwobi press very well? and tc doesnt slow the game down. his passing on  of the ball is the quickest of any player we have. some of those quick change passes no one is capable of. but silva doesnt like him end of. 85th minute today

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Brawn on November 12, 2023, 02:05:29 PMI think the point, and it is a good one, is that Cairney is a #10 and isn't particularly great at #8, whereas Pereira and Iwobi can both play a more deeper role and give us something at both ends.

i havent seen iwobi or pereira give anything of note the last few games. have you? apart from a couple of shots and the odd run

Brawn

Quote from: TC's Sporran on November 12, 2023, 02:17:47 PM
Quote from: Brawn on November 12, 2023, 02:05:29 PMI think the point, and it is a good one, is that Cairney is a #10 and isn't particularly great at #8, whereas Pereira and Iwobi can both play a more deeper role and give us something at both ends.

i havent seen iwobi or pereira give anything of note the last few games. have you? apart from a couple of shots and the odd run

Certainly I would be giving Cairney a go instead of Pereira. But I can understand the logic behind Marco's selections.

perry geyton

See today is a yet another example,
2-0 down and Pereira has done nothing...

Kind of getting sick of it

Marco please pull your head out of your arse

Luka

Well that was a total Sh## show of a first half.
Not one player is firing on all cylinders today.
Wholesale changes at HT required.

I'd bring on Vinni, TC , Ballo-Toure and Wilson.

perry geyton

Today was yet another prime example of why Tom should play, Marco's love fest with the highly overrated Perreira simply has to stop.

It's costing us week in week out

TC's Sporran

Quote from: perry geyton on November 12, 2023, 09:27:41 PMToday was yet another prime example of why Tom should play, Marco's love fest with the highly overrated Perreira simply has to stop.

It's costing us week in week out

that pass late on he made for us to cross and nearly score was one of the best pieces of skill from any player

kiwian

Quote from: @jolslover on November 10, 2023, 05:37:33 PMI love Tom Cairney, such a classy player with great technical ability and if not for injuries and the physical side of his game I think he would have had a good career as a mid table prem player

All the above being said I don't think he is the answer and not sure playing him in the 10 would suddenly change our fortunes
Well we won't know for sure until he starts will we?
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Bronaldinho

I agree Cairney is a joy to watch, the problem is - he can't really do it for 90mins at Prem level these days, his body just ain't up for it.

If he didn't have his knee issues, I'm certain he'd be on the pitch for longer and consistent presence.

But we certainly need change.

IMHO, I'd be getting Wilson to work with Cairney most weeks in training, and get him to take that role. He's played centrally for Wales for a number of years, and every time he comes inside he's much more dangerous with his passing.

Sure, you could make an argument for that's Andreas' role, but he's been off the boil since the end of last season. His set pieces were great, but that dynamism we saw early in his FFC career has dwindled.

Get Adama in the side, have Iwobi alongisde Joao (when unbanned) and Wilson in the 10 role.

I'd also bring Ballo Toure in for Robinson, as he's been so poor in recent weeks.

When Tosin / Diop are back it's going to be such a breathe of fresh air, as Bassey at RCB is uncomfortable.

@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Sting of the North

I think TC's alleged knee problems have now reached urban legend status.

Strangely enough he can play 90 minutes in cup games and he also could play basically full games when Pereira was injured towards the end of last season.

I think there is absolutely nothing in these persistent claims and the sole reason Silva doesn't play TC more is that he prefers other players. I disagree with him on that,  but I am also aware that he is in a better position (for many reasons) to make that call.

perry geyton

Quote from: Sting of the North on November 13, 2023, 12:52:17 PMI think TC's alleged knee problems have now reached urban legend status.

Strangely enough he can play 90 minutes in cup games and he also could play basically full games when Pereira was injured towards the end of last season.

I think there is absolutely nothing in these persistent claims and the sole reason Silva doesn't play TC more is that he prefers other players. I disagree with him on that,  but I am also aware that he is in a better position (for many reasons) to make that call.

He hurt his knee like 5 seasons ago and their still going on about it
Such utter tripe