more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are struggling and in IMO our strongest option would be

Started by perry geyton, November 10, 2023, 03:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

For Marco to wake up and stop being so stubborn with Tom Cairney

He has to start, Play him as a number 10 and tell him to shoot as often as possible

To me this is our best option to our current situation and it's really starting to irritate me now, our most creative playmaker is wasting away on the bench getting 5 minutes here and there

Last games Tom started were Spurs & Ipswich, we won em both

What a waste

bill taylors apprentice

I can see the merit in his selection but to be effective in stopping the opposition I'm not sure he has 90 mins of pressing in his legs.

TC has certainly upped his defensive work and I would certainly include him at some point during games more often.

The Rock

I thought he had knee problems since 2017 so we play him as a super sub instead of risking injury.

C Block

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 10, 2023, 04:09:50 PMI can see the merit in his selection but to be effective in stopping the opposition I'm not sure he has 90 mins of pressing in his legs.

TC has certainly upped his defensive work and I would certainly include him at some point during games more often.

Do you go to games?
We don't press teams,  look at last Saturday Muniz didn't press their keeper once instead choosing to give him the freedom of Craven Cottage, not sure Cairney should be singled out until the likes of Muniz, Wilson and Willian get instructed to do it.

perry geyton

Quote from: The Rock on November 10, 2023, 05:15:41 PMI thought he had knee problems since 2017 so we play him as a super sub instead of risking injury.
Oh god not that one again 🥱

@jolslover

I love Tom Cairney, such a classy player with great technical ability and if not for injuries and the physical side of his game I think he would have had a good career as a mid table prem player

All the above being said I don't think he is the answer and not sure playing him in the 10 would suddenly change our fortunes
STH H3

Nick Bateman

Quote from: perry geyton on November 10, 2023, 03:24:22 PMFor Marco to wake up and stop being so stubborn with Tom Cairney

He has to start, Play him as a number 10 and tell him to shoot as often as possible

To me this is our best option to our current situation and it's really starting to irritate me now, our most creative playmaker is wasting away on the bench getting 5 minutes here and there

What a waste

I have the same views re Cairney. He scores then gets dropped, is 3rd choice sub to bang average Lukic and headless BDR when we needed a goal. He is an excellent playmaker, something lacking in the first 11 and can score from free kicks and free play.

Why is Tom Cairney left out when we are struggling in the bottom six with hostile refs on our backs looking to relegate Fulham??
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

demeant0r

We don't need Cairney playing 90. 60-70 mins of him playing effectively is more than enough.

Worcesterwhite

I think we need to change approach more than anything, we are so reluctant to play direct and get runners in behind the defense, everything is in front of the opposing team and easy to defend, early in the season I watched Raul attempt run after run in behind just to be ignored

FishaPrice

I have no issues with giving Tom some starts, and I agree that it could improve us. He is very effective at this level and will get goals. But I understand if Marco prefers not to start him because he has made good use of Tom as a sub. I am extremely impressed with Marco's management of Tom, as I was worried Marco wouldn't involve Tom as much as he does. When employed from the bench, Tom always impacts the game whether we are pushing for goals or trying to hold onto what we have. Additionally, Marco's careful use of Tom has seemed to help keep him fit. 

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

I think you guys forget the games Cairney starts for us. He started against Everton in the opener and was dreadful. I love Tom, but he's much better coming on late when the game has opened up a bit.

perry geyton

Quote from: demeant0r on November 10, 2023, 07:07:18 PMWe don't need Cairney playing 90. 60-70 mins of him playing effectively is more than enough.
He got 5 mins in the last game

perry geyton

perry geyton

Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on November 10, 2023, 07:47:14 PMI think you guys forget the games Cairney starts for us. He started against Everton in the opener and was dreadful. I love Tom, but he's much better coming on late when the game has opened up a bit.
Mate the whole team was crap against Everton
But we did still win that game

perry geyton

Quote from: Nick Bateman on November 10, 2023, 06:41:30 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on November 10, 2023, 03:24:22 PMFor Marco to wake up and stop being so stubborn with Tom Cairney

What a waste

I have the same views re Cairney. He scores then gets dropped, is 3rd choice sub to bang average Lukic and headless BDR when we needed a goal. He is an excellent playmaker, something lacking in the first 11 and can score from free kicks and free play.

Why is Tom Cairney left out when we are struggling in the bottom six with hostile refs on our backs looking to relegate Fulham??
There's certain people that have issues with him and I honestly have no idea why ?

He is by far our most creative player and he can't get a game , the usual reasoning they have is that his knees are shot,,,

It's the same treatment that Tim Ream has  gotten over the years

I know I'm a broken record that I keep
Saying this over & over

I love Marco but this one just leaves me utterly dumbfounded

Black and White Blood

Quote from: perry geyton on November 10, 2023, 10:18:49 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on November 10, 2023, 06:41:30 PM
Absolutely right
Tom is our most creative and skilful player, I would start him but if there's a reason why not then at least let him have the whole second half.

What a waste

There's certain people that have issues with him and I honestly have no idea why ?

He is by far our most creative player and he can't get a game , the usual reasoning they have is that his knees are shot,,,

It's the same treatment that Tim Ream has  gotten over the years

I know I'm a broken record that I keep
Saying this over & over

I love Marco but this one just leaves me utterly dumbfounded

Black and White Blood

Tom is our most creative, skilful player, with a good eye for goal.
I would start him but if there's a reason why not then at least give him the whole second half.
Bringing him on with 5 minutes left is laughable.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

I agree with the OP here, with the caveat that of course none of us see what happens in training.

TC's best quality is his decision making, and we've needed it. I think he provides a creative edge and key passes we miss when he is out. Given the five subs rule, I think playing him around 60mins per game as a starter would be a worthwhile strategy.

FreiBird

Cairney doesn't press which Pereira and Iwobi do very well, he's also too slow to effect games when everyone's fresh.

When everyone is tired he is a great option. Saying "we don't press" might be the most plastic thing ever said by the way.

hovewhite

Not sure but a full 45 minutes would help the team in my view.