News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why am I falling out of love with Football?

Started by Peabody, November 12, 2023, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV71

I have said it many times Carborundum- you should write. Are you entering your Mills & Boon period ? Think of the money ........£££££

Carborundum

Quote from: HV71 on November 15, 2023, 08:51:43 AMAre you entering your Mills & Boon period ?
A period of endlessly recycling formulaic pap for an aging and diminishing audience? 

I've been rumbled.

KJS

Quote from: alfie on November 13, 2023, 08:51:30 AM
Quote from: KJS on November 13, 2023, 08:04:48 AMFootball is no longer for the fans, after 40 years of having one this is my last season ticket and I will then follow my local team Worthing where at least VAR doesn't ruin the afternoon 😌
If it wasn't for VAR, Villa would have had a penalty in the first few minutes.
So what it is still getting it wrong even after looking at an incident for 5 minutes!!

Twig

Both Free Elvis H and Carborundum make important points and make them very well. I used to be able to live with the occasional refereeing decisions and I can live with VAR, although I do dislike very drawn out decisions (if a clear decision can't be reached in 2.5 mins then it's not a clear and obvious error so move on). The two things that have spoiled top flight football for me are blatant corruption and utter disregard for the loyal supporter. It's a shocking state of affairs.

Snibbo

And it's been going on for years:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/15/chelsea-fc-face-new-questions-over-how-roman-abramovich-funded-success

Chelsea FC face fresh questions over how its former owner Roman Abramovich funded the club's success, after leaked files revealed a string of secret payments that may have breached strict football rules, including those on "financial fair play".

Experts said the transactions, uncovered through a joint investigation by the Guardian and international partners, could lead to the Premier League imposing punishments on Chelsea, such as a deduction of points.

The files reveal a series of payments worth tens of millions of pounds over a decade, routed through offshore vehicles belonging to Abramovich. The transactions in question appear to have been for Chelsea's benefit, raising questions about whether they were declared in accounts submitted to football's governing bodies.

Beneficiaries appear to include the agent of the star player Eden Hazard, an associate of the title-winning manager Antonio Conte and Chelsea FC officials. Other payments appear to have been connected to the purchase of the players Willian and Samuel Eto'o.

The payments have come to light thanks to an international investigation known as Cyprus Confidential, a cache of 3.6m offshore records leaked to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) and Germany's Paper Trail Media, which shared access with the Guardian, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism (TBIJ) and other media.
___
And more in the link above

Twig

Nothing surprises me anymore in the world of top flight football. Neither do I expect anything to be done anymore. The authorities hide behind twin fig leaves of FFP and Fit & Proper test. Both hopelessly inadequate and they know it but do nothing.

WindyCity

The OP raises some interesting perspective, but I suspect his spin might be much different if FFC was having a successful season, on the heels of last years' endeavor, and sitting comfortably mid table.

Twig

Quote from: WindyCity on November 15, 2023, 04:32:42 PMThe OP raises some interesting perspective, but I suspect his spin might be much different if FFC was having a successful season, on the heels of last years' endeavor, and sitting comfortably mid table.

I take your point but I don't think it's that simple. Apart from the issue around how clubs (and FFC in particular) treat their loyal supporters, the  disillusionment stems from much wider problems. Take me for instance; my disgust at the endemic corruption amongst the top levels of football administration has been increasing for several seasons. These sort of concerns get bigger as layer upon layer of greed and mismanagement gradually build up, then there comes a sort of tipping point where the bad outweighs what we enjoy. At best I would describe myself as a loyal supporter disaffected with the sport.