News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why am I falling out of love with Football?

Started by Peabody, November 12, 2023, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

For goodness sake, I am 85 next January and I really am not enjoying the game I first went to in 1946. Could it be that the game has sold it soul to the betting industry or the amount of cheating that goes on, or the worshiping of the £, or even the loss of faith in the people that are responsible for the administration of football? All of these are a contributing factor. Oh and don't get me started on VAR.  Think I might give lower league a try. All of this said, I can't get Fulham out of my blood.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: Peabody on November 12, 2023, 04:29:16 PMFor goodness sake, I am 85 next January and I really am not enjoying the game I first went to in 1946. Could it be that the game has sold it soul to the betting industry or the amount of cheating that goes on, or the worshiping of the £, or even the loss of faith in the people that are responsible for the administration of football? All of these are a contributing factor. Oh and don't get me started on VAR.  Think I might give lower league a try. All of this said, I can't get Fulham out of my blood.

Have you tried parkour or skateboarding ?

WindyCity

Well, watching that first half of football v Villa might have something to do with the answer to your question.....

blingo

I think its more a problem that football has sold its soul to SKY.

perry geyton

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on November 12, 2023, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: Peabody on November 12, 2023, 04:29:16 PMFor goodness sake, I am 85 next January and I really am not enjoying the game I first went to in 1946. Could it be that the game has sold it soul to the betting industry or the amount of cheating that goes on, or the worshiping of the £, or even the loss of faith in the people that are responsible for the administration of football? All of these are a contributing factor. Oh and don't get me started on VAR.  Think I might give lower league a try. All of this said, I can't get Fulham out of my blood.

Was thinking the same

perry geyton

Wasn't Johnny Haynes the first £100 a week player ? Correct me I'm wrong but wasn't that also an astronomical amount of money at the time ?!?!

Yeah the moneys got ridiculous but post pandemic people are more bored then ever and SPORT has become the anti depressant of the masses because people are repressed , similar to Roman times

Lighthouse

The whole football con has been coming for some time. From World Cups in the Winter in rich politically sensitive places with lots of money. To VAR mistakes bordering on the corrupt. To the now ridiculous ticket and pricing policy.

Football is all but dead to the traditional  fans. The split kick off times, the political pandering while taking back handers. It has become a dirty game with little to enthuse the casual fan let alone the true long term fan.

However I find all of modern life like that now. I don't want any part of it and wish that the things that are supposed to make life easier didn't just make life more expensive and harder but for a rich minority.

Look what they did to our game. But then look what they have done to everything else.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Steeeeeeeeeed

Excuse my little joke earlier , I do get what you mean, and for me the 2 clubs that are the biggest signifiers of this change to he game are playing each other at the moment (Chelski and City).

Chelsea started al this Big Spending 20 years ago, then City took it to another level, to me City will always feel like a Corporation rather than a club.

Unfortunately this attitude has been filtered down to al clubs in the Premier League now...at least Fulham still feels relatively "old fashioned" feel with it's cottage and picturesque riverside placement, but with the Ticket prices issue, and encouragement of "tourist fans" it's definitely seeping in even to us.

But Fulham still have that charm, so when we start winning again please do enjoy again 😊

bobbo

Peabody , you're right but spare a thought for me I've still got a season ticket and watching my local club when the whites are away and they are soo bad yesterday I headed for the clubhouse at half time . What do yo suggest for me now ?
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Peabody

I did but I kept falling of

H4usuallysitting

RaySmith

VAR just now - minutes checking Haaland's goal for handball, after the ball had crossed the line, and it almost touched his elbow as he slid before it into the net!

Goal given in the end.
If the ball had touched his elbow, after crossing the line, it seemed it could have been disallowed. Ridiculous!

hovewhite

Quote from: perry geyton on November 12, 2023, 05:12:35 PM

Was thinking the same
me to when I signed up for another season ticket.Its not the thing that excites me like it use to.

RaySmith

I totally get Peabody's point.

Football reflects the values of society and society is  now ruled  by the profit motive and markets, and now so is football.

Player wages, transfer fees, and ticket prices, the increasing  way that only the well -off can afford it, with a consequent change in the composition of football fans, in what was once a working -class sport, with clubs community based, usually owned by a local businessman who probably grew up supporting the club, and bought it as a hobby.

Now British football of world - wide cash cow for the Tv companies and everyone involved in the top echelons of the game.

BUT, I do find it an important escape to follow Fulham, although I can no longer afford to go to games, and  even that it often causes me to feel depressed (like today!).

Also, just watching Chelsea v Man city, because I want to see Chelsea lose, and am impressed by the levels of skill on display, and a  very entertaining game, I have to admit, and can the appeal to neutrals.

I can't see a time when football won't be very popular here, and across the world: in fact the growth of TV games on streaming services, is making it far more popular than it ever was, even if many traditional fans, like Peabody, are completely disillusioned.

filham

I am right with you on this one Peabody.
Things we need to get rid of:-

Big Money

Ridiculous players wages

Diving

VAR

TV Control

Exterminate those four things and there would be a big improvement. At the same time we have to recognise there are improvements from the old days we need to maintain:-

Abandoning players £20 per week max. wage
Lightweight plastic ball
High quality pitches
Quallity TV broadcasts
Quality all seater stadiums.
Goal line technology

I suppose we should count our blessings but the fact is that the game is moving away from the ordinary,  man to become a vehicle for the wealthy.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on November 12, 2023, 05:27:46 PMPeabody , you're right but spare a thought for me I've still got a season ticket and watching my local club when the whites are away and they are soo bad yesterday I headed for the clubhouse at half time . What do yo suggest for me now ?

Join a Lap Dancing Club.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Colton F.C.

Those with longer memories may argue that it all began to go wrong with the various power machinations and illegal payments surrounding Sir Henry Norris,  chairman of Fulham (1903 to 1908) and Arsenal (1912 to 1926).

Peabody

Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed the Chelsea v City game, real cut and thrust.

Twig

Peabody, I've been feeling very much the same. Obvious and blatant corruption amongst the suits who control the game at international level is something I loathe. Betting, excessive money, pointless extensions to the size of tournaments (money again), player burnout, ticket pricing, greed and a disregard for us fans who are the real customers. It all conspires to erode my love of the game. 
I have started watching the odd game at my local club, Hanwell Town, and I may eventually make that club my footballing "home".

Oakeshott

You are a few years older than me, Peabody, but I feel much the same as you.

I identify a different reason, though - teams ceasing to be mainly of local players. Yes, years ago it was exciting when we bought the occasional player, Graham Leggatt was the first when I started supporting, but the team were mainly local(ish) with some coming through the junior ranks. I think they were probably genuinely proud to play for the Club.

There is no doubting the skill of many of the players we've bought in recent years but we know that, for most, their connection with the Club is solely financial and most would do a Mitro if they had the chance, however much badge-kissing they do.

Basically it is our set of mercenaries against those of the other nineteen, more or less equally composed of non-locals and who does best is much related to those whose owners have the deepest pockets. Frankly, I am not thrilled that we have US owners with no football tradition for whom we are merely part of a set of sporting interests. Better than being owned by individuals or organisations from questionable countries, though. That said, historically some of our local owners plainly didn't always have the Club's interests at heart.