watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

our rise under Al Fayed

Started by Thailand Mick, November 14, 2023, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thailand Mick

From the moment Al Fayed arrived at Fulham can anyone remember any players we were interested in signing turn us down. Maybe it's the memory going or the rose-tinted glasses, but I cannot think of anyone. We seem to build an aura around the club and everyone wanted to jump on board,I think we need to recapture that aura which isn't easy to do.

filham

I always felt that MAF had the right contacts that enabled him, somehow, to get anything he wanted.

Penfold

I remember FFC being linked with a few 'names' early on that didn't sign as they weren't sure if MAF was actually serious.

Seem to recall Wimbledon had a Norwegian international striker that was linked but didn't sign.

Apparently, Keegan going to the Cottage convinced a lot of players that were subsequently approached that Fulham truly were ambitious.

Hadleigh White

Can I recommend The Great Adventure by Tony Banks
A fascinating read especially if you lived through it
You would be surprised who we were connected with  ::scarf::

sarnian

Quote from: Thailand Mick on November 14, 2023, 11:27:31 AMFrom the moment Al Fayed arrived at Fulham can anyone remember any players we were interested in signing turn us down. Maybe it's the memory going or the rose-tinted glasses, but I cannot think of anyone. We seem to build an aura around the club and everyone wanted to jump on board,I think we need to recapture that aura which isn't easy to do.

The huge difference was that at the time we were in the lower leagues so we were not chasing top quality Premier League players.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: sarnian on November 14, 2023, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: Thailand Mick on November 14, 2023, 11:27:31 AMFrom the moment Al Fayed arrived at Fulham can anyone remember any players we were interested in signing turn us down. Maybe it's the memory going or the rose-tinted glasses, but I cannot think of anyone. We seem to build an aura around the club and everyone wanted to jump on board,I think we need to recapture that aura which isn't easy to do.

The huge difference was that at the time we were in the lower leagues so we were not chasing top quality Premier League players.

Coleman was the coup, dropped 2 divisions.

Sting of the North

Quote from: sarnian on November 14, 2023, 12:31:32 PM

Added to this, we didn't have to comply with FFP. So we could pay huge fees and hand out comparatively huge salaries already down in League 1. This of course kind of came to a halt when we reached the Premier League. Ifthe Khan's were to find themselves in League 1 without having to comply with FFP I am sure we would see some excellent signings for that level since we would be able to outspend everyone.

Cumbrian White

Ronaldo (Brazilian) turned Mo down. As did Steve Marlet a season before he joined.

Thailand Mick

Quote from: Cumbrian White on November 14, 2023, 08:08:26 PM

Ronaldo (Brazilian) turned Mo down. As did Steve Marlet a season before he joined.
here is the Ronaldo story
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23933096/ronaldo-fulham-transfer-mohammed-al-fayed/

The Old Count

I agree.
Al Fayed had the ability to present a proposition to a player that made the club attractive. It wasn't always about money although ,of course, that helped.
Regarding FFP, I am 100% positive he would have found a way to mitigate the disadvantages of it.