watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Palhinha and the January Window

Started by LC, November 14, 2023, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevieboy

Seeing a lot of 'reports' that we will be prepared to take less for João than previously agreed with Bayern.
That's a cunning business plan, player signs new contract and we ask for less!!
Where do these 'sports journos' get these ridiculous ideas. 
:slap:  :slap:

Whitestone

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 22, 2023, 04:52:43 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on November 22, 2023, 04:10:10 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 22, 2023, 08:57:00 AMAll the signs are Palhinha will go in Jan.
Losing him will be a blow.

Controversial comment coming up!

But if we recruit wisely with quality his absence does not have to have a negative effect on results.
A replacement is unlikely to match his stats and his presence on the pitch and yes, Palhinha is a massive support to our back 4 but his presence has not helped us avoid giving away sloppy goals or improve our failure in front of goal.

If we raise our threat of scoring by being more aggressive in the last third as well as through player recruitment and tighten up at CB we can win points and his absence will not be as costly as its assumed.

As much as I admire Palhinha and his contribution to our success last season his leaving will not affect our results like losing Mitro has or the current weakness (through injury) at CB.   

I'm not aware of any signs that he will go in January. There's plenty of gossip which is to be expected but that's all. He is such a key player that we should retain him and add to the existing squad if the owners have any real ambition.

"Gossip", "Signs" whatever you call it, we know they (and others) want him and we know he wants to go because both parties said so numerous times.

We also know we will sell if the price is right and a replacement arrives.

It's rare for a club to say no and hold the player to his contract so it will be a shock if he doesn't leave, demanding he stays and is part of an ambitious project is fanciful.

What we know is that Bayern Munich wanted him in August and he wanted to go. What we don't know is Bayern's intention moving forward. Equally we don't know the mind of Palhinha  now. Anything else is speculation and click bait. It's possible he could be sold but I'm not convinced it's as clear cut as some are suggesting.

filham

Hard to see what has changed Palhinha's mind about leaving since the summer, other than perhaps he would like to finish the season as Fulham's leading goal scorer.

RDdubya

Quote from: filham on November 22, 2023, 05:51:52 PMHard to see what has changed Palhinha's mind about leaving since the summer, other than perhaps he would like to finish the season as Fulham's leading goal scorer.

I think he'll have Jedi on his tail!  ::wink::

davew

I do not understand why Palhinha would sign a longer term contract and npow it is rumoured that Fulham are likely to be reducing the asking transfer to the fee sought in the Summer? I thought the opposite would apply if you have a player on a longer contract?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Somerset Fulham

It depends what is in the contract I suppose.

LC

Quote from: davew on November 22, 2023, 06:39:00 PMI do not understand why Palhinha would sign a longer term contract and npow it is rumoured that Fulham are likely to be reducing the asking transfer to the fee sought in the Summer? I thought the opposite would apply if you have a player on a longer contract?

I would guess the new contract was about giving him more money and keeping him motivated to work for the team in the meantime. I doubt we'll take less for him, I expect it'll be around £55m

JimOG

Quote from: LC on November 22, 2023, 07:36:16 PM
Quote from: davew on November 22, 2023, 06:39:00 PMI do not understand why Palhinha would sign a longer term contract and npow it is rumoured that Fulham are likely to be reducing the asking transfer to the fee sought in the Summer? I thought the opposite would apply if you have a player on a longer contract?

I would guess the new contract was about giving him more money and keeping him motivated to work for the team in the meantime. I doubt we'll take less for him, I expect it'll be around £55m

I'd expect him to stay - he's under contract - until the summer. He's no spoilt child like Mitro was, will always give of his best and the 'big clubs' will still be in for him at season end. Anything else makes no sense at all

WolverineFFC

Quote from: JimOG on November 23, 2023, 10:41:31 AM

I'd expect him to stay - he's under contract - until the summer. He's no spoilt child like Mitro was, will always give of his best and the 'big clubs' will still be in for him at season end. Anything else makes no sense at all

You're right on this. The other part is it does not make much sense financially for the club to sell him until the offseason. They haven't even been able to spend the Mercenary's transfer funds yet. Trying to spend both in a January window would be a recipe for a disaster.

LC

Quote from: JimOG on November 23, 2023, 10:41:31 AM

I would like him to stay till the summer but his value will drop whether we like it or not- due to his age. He's not exactly old, but once you approach 30 your value does drop. If we get a reasonable offer in January and we have replacements lined up- and I mean through the door first, then I would let him go

sarnian

Quote from: Stevieboy on November 22, 2023, 05:03:32 PMSeeing a lot of 'reports' that we will be prepared to take less for João than previously agreed with Bayern.
That's a cunning business plan, player signs new contract and we ask for less!!
Where do these 'sports journos' get these ridiculous ideas. 
:slap:  :slap:

Just shows the quality of the writers on all these tinpot websites.  Do they believe everybody are as gullible as themselves.  As you say player signs new contract and we ask for less. Obviously they work on these sites as they Have no comprehension of finance and how to operate a business.  😂😂😂

hovewhite

Don't know what's going on with palhinia hope he stays ,as for Andre it seems we are trying to work a deal for the end of there season which is positive and must be tied into Marcos new deal as I've never known AM go re a signing
To get it done early.If he can do it will be a great start to the window

perry geyton

Quote from: alfie on November 22, 2023, 11:01:53 AM
Quote from: Chutney on November 22, 2023, 09:09:30 AMIf we had started the season better I think we would have a chance at keeping him, he must be getting very frustrated playing in the side currently.
He is part of the side though, and to be honest he hasn't been playing that well, certainly not as good as last season.

Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion Alfie

alfie

Quote from: perry geyton on November 23, 2023, 05:34:51 PM
Quote from: Chutney on November 22, 2023, 09:09:30 AMIf we had started the season better I think we would have a chance at keeping him, he must be getting very frustrated playing in the side currently.
He is part of the side though, and to be honest he hasn't been playing that well, certainly not as good as last season.

It's an opinion nothing more, I just don't feel the dynamic from last season, if I'm wrong then fair enough.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Fulham 442

Quote from: alfie on November 23, 2023, 05:44:38 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on November 23, 2023, 05:34:51 PM

It's an opinion nothing more, I just don't feel the dynamic from last season, if I'm wrong then fair enough.
Tbh I feel the same about Palhinha. He's mentally already left and it's now just a matter of time until he goes.  Our current league position, whilst we're struggling to score goals and therefore win games, certainly doesn't help.

WindyCity

Quote from: Fulham 442 on November 23, 2023, 06:13:34 PMTbh I feel the same about Palhinha. He's mentally already left and it's now just a matter of time until he goes.  Our current league position, whilst we're struggling to score goals and therefore win games, certainly doesn't help.

I'm not so sure that Palhinha has 'mentally' left.  I think he's the consummate pro.  I think he's mentally with FFC every time he sets foot to pitch, and he's playing just as well this season as last.  And all this "talk" you see in media about how he "wants" to move on to Munich is just that..."talk", largely, methinks, generated by his chucklehead brother (agent).

filham

The rumours are saying that Man.u., Liverpool and Bayern Munic are all interested in signing Palhinhaa.

If that is true then we should be able to wind up the price enormously and set a Fulham record that will last for a good while.
Problem is I am not confident that we know how to spend big money.