watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All Time Fulham Dream Team

Started by filham, November 21, 2023, 12:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: bencher on November 21, 2023, 08:06:48 PMI wonder if this exercise was run 12 months ago, how many would have had Mitrovic in their 11 or at least on the bench.
No, ahead of Mitro for me would be Jezzard, Earl,Ivor,Saha,and McBride.

bencher

Quote from: Penfold on November 21, 2023, 09:06:21 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 21, 2023, 08:59:21 PMI get that Haynes was exceptional but why were Fulham so rubbish if he was the star of the show?

I am too young to know but I see these other players mentioned that played with him all of the time and yet we were bang average at best and didn't even make a cup final with them.

Haynes retired before I was born but I had relatives that went during that era and they said that Fulham were generally 2/3 players from being a team that could do well regularly. The team went on some bonkers runs (generally to avoid relegation!)

I think my late father used to say that we were porous at the back, so we were good going forwards but not solid enough to be a great team. Macedo was overworked.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Me again!  I had completely forgotten the great Bobby Robson who must be in there somewhere. No we never put out a completely rounded team at that time but had full International players while being in the old Second Division, gained promotion in 1958/59 and,were cruelly denied from Cup Final appearances in 1958 and 1962. We also had in my opinion the greatest escape ever. 1965/66. Last 13 games Won 9, Drawn 2, Lost 2. 15 points from the first 29 games and 20 points from the last 11. (2=points per games). Remarkable.

filham

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on November 21, 2023, 08:59:21 PMI get that Haynes was exceptional but why were Fulham so rubbish if he was the star of the show?

I am too young to know but I see these other players mentioned that played with him all of the time and yet we were bang average at best and didn't even make a cup final with them.
One man alone doesn't make a team and we were not rubbish. We did not always have the best of managers but with Beddy Jezzard as manager and Haynes as captain we were promoted to the top division and stayed there for 9 seasons on a shoe string transfer budget. Believe me with Haynes in the team we saw some of the best attacking football ever seen at the Cottage. Our defense could at times be a bit dodgy though.

Mullers OG

Van de Sar

Finnan  Coleman  Hangeland  Bonnissell

Mullery   Haynes    Malbranque

Conway     Saha       Barrett 

filham

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 22, 2023, 10:04:22 AMMe again!  I had completely forgotten the great Bobby Robson who must be in there somewhere. No we never put out a completely rounded team at that time but had full International players while being in the old Second Division, gained promotion in 1958/59 and,were cruelly denied from Cup Final appearances in 1958 and 1962. We also had in my opinion the greatest escape ever. 1965/66. Last 13 games Won 9, Drawn 2, Lost 2. 15 points from the first 29 games and 20 points from the last 11. (2=points per games). Remarkable.
Yes Bobby Robson is often overlooked and he had 3 roles at Fulham before leaving us for a brilliant managerial career at Ipswich and England.
1. A young attacking, pacey, goal scoring inside right who we let go to WBA at his peak.

2. Bought back from WBA to serve as a solid wing half for some seasons.

3. Manager of a poor Fulham side and suffered relegation in his first season and was immediately sacked.

Oh, what may have been achieved had we given Bobby more than that single season as manager.
£.

filham

Quote from: alfie on November 21, 2023, 01:21:09 PM
Quote from: filham on November 21, 2023, 12:49:54 PMThe international break not yet over, six days to the Wolves match and we don't know who will be available to play, rumour market saturated about a new Fulham striker, best to say as little as possible about England performance, no new news about our later than late new stand.
Well I am going to repeat an old favourite just to cheer me up.

My all time best line up for a Fulham team made from our best ever players.

Tony Macedo

George Cohen  Chris Coleman  Brede Hangeland  Jim langley

Bobby Robson      Palhinha

Johnny Haynes

Ivor            Beddy Jezzard      Boa

Field that line up against Wolves and our goal drought would be over and forgotten by half time. 

Of course that's assuming that Wolves don't put out their dream team, they've had some tasty players in their time.
That is a thought, the Wolves dream team would include Billy Wright at center back and Jimmy Mullen on the left wing. Imagine Jezzard up against Wright and Mullen up against Cohen. That is the stuff that dreams are made of.

RaySmith

Quote from: bencher on November 22, 2023, 08:06:39 AM
Quote from: Penfold on November 21, 2023, 09:06:21 PM

Haynes retired before I was born but I had relatives that went during that era and they said that Fulham were generally 2/3 players from being a team that could do well regularly. The team went on some bonkers runs (generally to avoid relegation!)

I think my late father used to say that we were porous at the back, so we were good going forwards but not solid enough to be a great team. Macedo was overworked.

We had a back thee of Cohen, Dodgin/Keetch, Langley, with Macedo in goal, with defensive midfielders  like Mullery, Eddie Lowe and Bobby Robson - Cohen, Lowe, Langley, Mullery, Robson, all past, current or potential England internationals, while Macedo was denied a full cap, after winning U 23, because he was born in Gibraltar.

So pretty decent defenders throughout the 60's, though we battled against relegation every season.

Obviously JH, with his genius  was a cut above most of the team, and was often obviously frustrated.
I think we were weak in some positions though I thought our defence pretty sound, but maybe an aging squad, with a few very good youngsters. But we definitely needed  cash input in the squad, which was quite small I think.

Possible problems with the way the club was run, and we maybe weren't as competitive in training, etc as we could have been, but mainly financial investment was lacking, and our best players, like Robson, Mullery, Clarke, kept getting sold.

Fulham always had a bit of shambolic air about the place, which to some extent  added to the charm and friendliness of the place, compared to the ruthlessness of them up the road, and  clubs like Arsenal and Spurs.

General

I came up with the best squad (liberal in numbers) for the time I've supported fulham

Gks
EVDS
Schwarzer
Areola
Leno

Rb
Finnan
Pantsil
Aina
Brevett
Riether

RCB
Andersen
Hughes
Goma

LCB
Hangeland
Ream

LB
konchesky
Riise
Robinson

DM
Palhinha
Diop
Diarra
Clarke

CM
Murphy
Dembele
Davis
Carvalho
Cairney

Rw
Malbranque
Schurrle
Babel
Davies

Lw
Duff
Willian
Gera
Boa morte

FwD
Mitrovic
Saha
Berbatov

Karlos

VDS
Finnan
Brevett
Hangeland
Ream

Palhinha
Murphy
Dembele

Boa morte
Duff
Saha

river phoenix

____________________Leno__________________

Cohen________Hangeland______Gale_______Brevet

____________Palhinha_______Dembele__________

____Dempsey__________________Haynes__________

___________Mitrovic________Saha______________

Free Elvis Hammond

Ok I'm going in for round two. Players nobody has mentioned so far, no current players, my era only (I'll say 00/01 onwards). And I challenge anyone to continue this mad endeavour, ideally until we're in Elvis Hammond territory

Bettinelli
Sessegnon
Knight
Smalling
Odoi
Simon Davies
Legwinski
Carvalho
Kebano
McCormack
Dembele #2

colinwhite

best marsh Clarke Haynes Mullery Macdonald Moore Berbatov Harford Murphy Dempsey Finnan Malbranque  are all players of high class that have played for us .
They blow away most of our stalwarts, so its hard to pick team !!

ron

Combinations are a feature of 'best ever teams' too. Surely Aaron Hughes would need to go in if Brede was selected , although probably not chosen on his own merits?

Grassy Noel

Reading all this makes me long for the day when I can put on a Fulham FC virtual reality headset and lay on the perfect pass for Leggatt to score.

filham

Quote from: Grassy Noel on November 23, 2023, 09:32:43 AMReading all this makes me long for the day when I can put on a Fulham FC virtual reality headset and lay on the perfect pass for Leggatt to score.
I think I would prefer to receive the perfect pass from Haynes to score myself.
Until virtual reality is available jus close your eyes and search for the dream.