watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Superstition

Started by Peabody, November 25, 2023, 10:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I have written about this before but now that I am not going to matches, I think I should confess to how much I was addicted to them.

Firstly, on a matchday, I follow this regime, I would wear the same shirt and of course, my lucky black underpants. On the journey to the Cottage, I would sit in the same seat on the train or tram, on arrival at Putney Bridge Station, I would take the same route through Bishops Park, ie the Moat walk, not the Thame side walk, at the Cottage, I would always look at Johnny Haynes, directly in the eye and then enter into the same turnstile

Do you think I was a bit OTTTop?

Willham

No, but going forward I would get dressed the same on match days, then I would make a lovely sandwich and leave it for match time, I'd have/get a Johnny Haynes statue that I'd get out on the morning of every match day, I'd look it right in the eye as I set it in a dedicated spot then right before kick off I'd go to a comfortable toilet, make a cup of tea or open a beer or a glass of port and sit down with comfortable room and watch the game.

Eton White

Considering we've never actually won anything, despite your steadfast commitment to superstition... my answer would be yes.

Mind you, it could also be argued that without your superstitious regime we might have fared even worse!

Who can honestly say?! 

ianthailand

Quote from: Peabody on November 25, 2023, 10:28:13 PMI have written about this before but now that I am not going to matches, I think I should confess to how much I was addicted to them.

Firstly, on a matchday, I follow this regime, I would wear the same shirt and of course, my lucky black underpants. On the journey to the Cottage, I would sit in the same seat on the train or tram, on arrival at Putney Bridge Station, I would take the same route through Bishops Park, ie the Moat walk, not the Thame side walk, at the Cottage, I would always look at Johnny Haynes, directly in the eye and then enter into the same turnstile

Do you think I was a bit OTTTop?

Are the underpants black as natural colour or have you never washed them?

love4ffc

I'd be curious Mr. Peabody, what kind of win percentage do you think you had with your superstitions routine?  Hopefully a good one. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

H4usuallysitting

filham

I had a couple of little superstitions before going to matches, cleaning teeth and certain
 lucky old clothes but nothing on te scale of Peabody.

Like Peabody my trips to the Cottage have, after 75 seasons , stopped and I am looking for one lucky procedure to adopt before watching a Fulham match on the box.

Any ideas.

BestOfBrede

I don't go much now either, but I still ensure I follow my superstition even just listening to Jim/Jamie!

alfie

I only have one thing that never changes, whether I'm at the game or watching on tv, I never ever believe we will lose, I always believe we will win.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Quote from: alfie on November 26, 2023, 07:51:04 PMI only have one thing that never changes, whether I'm at the game or watching on tv, I never ever believe we will lose, I always believe we will win.

[/quote

You do suffer a lot of disappointments, I tend to go the other way just to stop me being so miserable that the wife would leave home.

Woolly Mammoth

Stevie Wonder had a lot to sing  about when it came to Superstition.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: filham on November 26, 2023, 10:15:24 PM
Quote from: alfie on November 26, 2023, 07:51:04 PMI only have one thing that never changes, whether I'm at the game or watching on tv, I never ever believe we will lose, I always believe we will win.

[/quote

You do suffer a lot of disappointments, I tend to go the other way just to stop me being so miserable that the wife would leave home.
I don't get miserable if/when we lose,, what happens happens, I've had my fill of football, from amateur to professional, there are far more important things in my life now, but hey that's just me, each to their own.
COYW.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Andy S

Obviously I always hope we will win but there is no superstition that can ensure that.

Willham

Quote from: alfie on November 27, 2023, 09:33:04 AM

[/quote

I don't get miserable if/when we lose,, what happens happens, I've had my fill of football, from amateur to professional, there are far more important things in my life now, but hey that's just me, each to their own.
COYW.

I like to think I don't get miserable when we lose but others around me tell me otherwise, so I think I try to pretend even to myself that it didn't matter to me, overall though, I'm more disappointed in an overall sense then individual matches, maybe I was quick to dream but after last year I really believed this was going to be a year to push on and really settle into the prem, instead we've gone the other way and given ourselves a very difficult job.

filham

Quote from: Willham on November 27, 2023, 11:04:34 AM
Quote from: alfie on November 27, 2023, 09:33:04 AM

[/quote

COYW.

I like to think I don't get miserable when we lose but others around me tell me otherwise, so I think I try to pretend even to myself that it didn't matter to me, overall though, I'm more disappointed in an overall sense then individual matches, maybe I was quick to dream but after last year I really believed this was going to be a year to push on and really settle into the prem, instead we've gone the other way and given ourselves a very difficult job.
So right and in that respect tonight's match is enormous, fail to score and lose 0-1 with Liverpool away next week the dark cloud of relegation will be approaching.
Win 3-0 with a hat trick from Jiminez,the goal drought will be forgotten, the striker problem solved and we will have a good cushion between us and the teams in the relegation places.
I am not expecting the 3-0 win but if it happens I will be so happy.