watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Manchester United ban Sky Sports

Started by Nick Bateman, December 05, 2023, 04:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Manchester United have banned 4 news outlets from their press conferences for inventing a story that Ten Haag had lost the dressing room.

These assertions were apparently false and therefore made up in an attempt to undermine Ten Haag's authority and even his position in the club.

The four guilty parties were Sky Sports, The Daily Mirror, Manchester Evening News & ESPN.

This is quite a reaction to these companies as it now shows that Sky Sports who own the TV rights in this country are against Manchester United.

I have noticed United's influence in the FA has declined since Fergie and David Gil departed and they have been on the receiving end of many dodgy calls. Of course they will always be more favoured by officials than Fulham, as we saw in last year's FA Cup.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Craven Mad

Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

Trouble in paradise at the theatre of dreams!

RaySmith

Alex Ferguson also banned certain newspapers from  pre and post match press conferences, and  refused to speak to the BBC after allegations  made about his son.

But one thing that Ten Haag does, which I don't think Ferguson would ever do, was  from the start make derogatory public comments about his players after a poor result, such as that they didn't try hard enough, and also about individual players, like  Maguire and Rashford, slagging then off in public.

I think this is a sign of a poor manager - blaming players to deflect from his own failings? any criticisms should be  in - house anyway.

The man seems an a***hole.

Eton White

When Ten Hag first joined and refused to play Ronaldo, pretty much forcing him out of United, I was quite impressed and thought he was exactly the sort of manager United needed - someone who wasn't afraid to stand up to the prima donnas and was ready to get rid of the toxic elements in the dressing room.

The way he's behaved since then, such as publicly criticising players as mentioned above and his treatment of players like Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho has changed my view of him.
It makes him look weak and a bad man manager.

It really does look like he's lost the dressing room there. I think his days are numbered.

Somerset Fulham

More clubs should do this if outlets are found to creating absolute lies and publishing them.

They might start to learn not to do it then.

FulhamKC

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on December 05, 2023, 09:38:59 PMMore clubs should do this if outlets are found to creating absolute lies and publishing them.

But were they lies? I honestly don't know, so just asking.

Sammyffc

Quote from: FulhamKC on December 05, 2023, 11:00:35 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on December 05, 2023, 09:38:59 PMMore clubs should do this if outlets are found to creating absolute lies and publishing them.

But were they lies? I honestly don't know, so just asking.

Not sure about Sky but Manchester evening news are notorious for it, they have even used the munich disaster in their statement about being banned by the club to look good.

Eton White

What makes you say they were lies?
Just because Man Utd are unhappy the story is out there doesn't mean it isn't true.

Don't you think it unlikely that four separate news outlets would totally make up a story like this? The BBC has also said they were given reports that there was widespread player unrest within United, so these stories are coming from somewhere.

toshes mate

Mmm, they all do it deliberately don't they?  Sometimes it is misdirection, sometimes error, sometimes sensationalism, sometimes it may even contain a grain of truth but they will love having a headline which produces the money making clicks.   

I rather think when it comes to contemporary public relations and news [sic] media that the onus is on the reader/viewer/listener to know that a very high percentage of output is completely false especially from those who claim to be woke. Perhaps this echoes the lack of sincerety in action there is not just in the media but very generally.  Sport has been infested with this stuff for a long time just as you'll find anywhere else where there is money to be made. 

The individual can help themselves by ensuring they find out both sides of "a story" before they jump to their own conclusions or just be patient and wait for someone to publish their auto/biography. 

As for this "story" who knows what the truth is because you certainly won't find proof either way.  The Club couldn't care less because as the saying once helpfully told us there is no such thing as bad publicity.  These days those clicks soon add up to a lot of cash for someone.

Somerset Fulham

I was nodding along with you right up until you dumped the word 'woke' in there.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Eton White on December 05, 2023, 11:05:30 PM

What makes you say they were lies?
Just because Man Utd are unhappy the story is out there doesn't mean it isn't true.

Don't you think it unlikely that four separate news outlets would totally make up a story like this? The BBC has also said they were given reports that there was widespread player unrest within United, so these stories are coming from somewhere.

I said 'if they are found to be spreading lies' now I don't know the answer to that but United seem to think that it is the case, or at the very least the have a leak in their own dressing room which they need to plug.

The amount of bullsh!t that news agencies vomit out these days is 99% bollocks, what I suppose I meant was that if a club is going to stand up to that, then more power to them.

jarv

United play boring football and dont deserve the coverage they get on sky.  Lets all hope we see less of them now, however, it is all about the money.

Sammyffc

Quote from: RaySmith on December 05, 2023, 05:37:48 PMAlex Ferguson also banned certain newspapers from  pre and post match press conferences, and  refused to speak to the BBC after allegations  made about his son.

But one thing that Ten Haag does, which I don't think Ferguson would ever do, was  from the start make derogatory public comments about his players after a poor result, such as that they didn't try hard enough, and also about individual players, like  Maguire and Rashford, slagging then off in public.

I think this is a sign of a poor manager - blaming players to deflect from his own failings? any criticisms should be  in - house anyway.

The man seems an a***hole.

Absolutely disagree. How many other managers have said the same thing that have joined United? pretty sure the last 4 or 5 have said the same things. How many more managers have they got to have before people believe the managers?

Penfold

I wonder what Daily Mirror and MEN have done to upset them?

I can recall playing City back in the third tier back in 1998/99 and reading their fanzine King of the Kippax. It referred to the above titles as The Man U Mirror and Manchester United Evening News.

EN1 FFC

It's what our media outlets have become, twisting what is said to them to fit their agenda and make a derogatory story seem much worse. On every level of life, journalists and media outlets are trying to manipulate with false stories to the point lots of people don't believe what is written or said.

Our clubs present 'Guardians' are very poor at PR, almost to CIA levels of secrecy and incompetence.  ::smile::

AlFayed had Lawyers on revolving doors, he loved a fight in court, the old Barrow Boy taking on the Toffs of England and fuddie duddies of the Football establishment.  ::smile:: 

Cambridge Pete

Banning Sky. What's the old saying about biting the hand that feeds you?

Twig

Man Utd vs Sky. Why would I give a sh1t?