more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Newcastle 3-0 Fulham... And that Red Card...Sky Sports Highlights

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, December 16, 2023, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Quote from: SP on December 16, 2023, 08:50:15 PMFrom their board:

Reminded me a bit of Harald Schumacher's challenge on was it Battiston(?) in the 1982 world cup

Reminded me of the Liverpool player going into the back of BDR and not even a foul given

perry geyton

Quote from: Eton White on December 16, 2023, 07:19:10 PMThat was definitely a straight red. What was Jimenez doing?!

As has been said, it's very disappointing as he was just starting to come good for us. He's really let us down today.
I couldn't disagree more
I've rewatched 20 times over and now the dust has settled I'm curious if you still agree with your immediate response

Woolly Mammoth

The whole episode whichever way you look at it is frustrating and  infuriating.
Nevertheless nothing we can do about it.
But there is another game tomorrow at Everton, a cup quarterfinal which we can.
Best to focus on this one and give it our best shot.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bill2

Suggest all those thinking it was a straight red look at the Martinelli incident on the Arsenal v Brighton game and tell me why it was red for Jimenez but only a yellow for Martinelli. There is a snip posted on another topic which has Dermot Gallagher trying to defend it, perhaps they should have shown the Jimenez incident and asked him to explain the difference. He has some interesting thoughts on the definition of differences between red and yellow cards.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: toshes mate on December 17, 2023, 06:55:51 AMHaven't read a single comment that talks about the context of this incident and the VAR interference which were themselves much more controversial than what looked like a clumsy foul rather than serious foul play.  Again VAR fails miserably. 

A short time before the incident Jimenez receives an elbow in the face deliberately delivered by an opponent and very clearly seen in replays as he goes down and stays down on the pitch with the referee not stopping play of VAR intervening despite it being a head injury.

It was an intentional and dangerous foul but not apparently seen by Mr ... ROT the referee or VAR. The referee sees the Jimenez 'MMA' foul and calls it a yellow with which I agreed.  VAR clearly shows that Jimenez manages to turn the soft part of his body (his backside) into the contact which minimises the contact and intent and was not present in the elbow incident where the Newcastle player clearly has a spiteful expression on his face pre-execution. 

I wondered if Jimenez was just trying to get back at the referee for failing to control the players in B&W stripes. 

Once again VAR has done half its job and shown it is neither neutral or effective in stopping serious foul play or referee error.  This wasn't the only time the referee and VAR failed in this game. It's time the PL sorted this out because FFC now have another suspension and a defeat which has been handed out to them in rough justice but not in a game of football played according to the rules.

Very accurately put, Toshes Mate!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

SG

Have just watched it for the first time. I can see an argument for the both colours but ultimately he jumped up and bashed him in the head/face. Mistimed and unintended probably but don't give the officials a decision to make. Newcastle player was going nowhere. Just nonsensical by Raul.

Matt10

Watched a lot of footy over the weekend as always, and this movement that Raul does is seen everywhere throughout the pitch. It's the only way to cut off a high pass, you cut it off early and aggressively. Unfortunately, Raul was completely fooled and the player didn't have time to move out of the way. It was just so brutal of an impact that I don't think he was going to get off the hook, especially with VAR being able to slow it all down for all to see. As I said earlier, a striker's challenge.

bahay18

Ultimately they have got to the right decision but the process is probably wrong. There is no clear and obvious error . The ref had a clear view and gave yellow . VAR had no more information to give him . It was subjective , not fact . They should only have stepped in if he had not given a foul or a yellow. And it is subjective, look at the martinelli and coufal challenges (x2) at the weekend ,all just as bad but worthy of yellow and nothing .