Main Menu

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool Carabao Cup 24 Jan

Started by WhiteJC, December 21, 2023, 05:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC's Sporran

and in the last 4 mins of added time
reed touched the ball 3 times in non dangerous areas
and we had zero attacks

subs didnt work and ruined the momentum we had.

SerbianLad

Amongst other things, Tete should have started

KentFulham

Quote from: SimonDaviesEnjoyer on January 24, 2024, 09:56:01 PMWell from our POV the tie could have been won if BDR squared it in the first leg, and Leno had kept that effort out tonight. Bummer.

That was all Castagne thou, guy is a total shambles at being in position

KentFulham

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 24, 2024, 09:56:56 PMAmongst other things, Tete should have started

Agree - Silva got that wrong big time

Milo

Quote from: SimonDaviesEnjoyer on January 24, 2024, 09:56:01 PMWell from our POV the tie could have been won if BDR squared it in the first leg, and Leno had kept that effort out tonight. Bummer.

Agreed. Game of 2 ties.

I think if BDR had squared it, if Leno had made that basic save... if Silva had made subs EARLIER...

Anyway, ultimately we weren't anywhere near good enough tonight for the first 70 mins or so.

Matt10

I'm glad we went to two up top, but just super late. Taking off Cairney for Reed meant we lost that Willian-Cairney-Robinson threat and it showed badly. At least swap Andreas for TC if he's gassed, but not a defensive midfielder when we need a goal.

Grassy Noel

I thought that Willian was phenomenal and please spare a thought for Rodek,the sacrificial pawn.

Bassey the warrior

I said we needed to score first, just look at how much we improved after scoring. That chance from Palhinha, maybe if it had fallen to Jimenez or Reid that goes in. If Cairney rather than Pereira had the chance of the left side, that's a goal. All ifs, buts and maybes. At least we gave it a good go in the second half after an abysmal first half.

bencher

Or but for a deflection off Tosin it's 2-2 on aggregate.

KentFulham

The cross in the last ten right over their six yard box was screaming for Fulham to have a real striker

MisfitKid

The better team won (pains me to say).
Got almost nothing from the right side.
And that Carabao stuff probably tastes like dirt...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Drewry66

Gutted but end of the day we've lost to the best team in the league over two full matches by one goal. Loads of what ifs and maybes and it could have gone another way. They are a ridiculous team with a crazy press. Loads saying how rubbish we were first 60 mins but when all of our players are swarmed within half a second of getting on the ball you just have to give the other team credit. In the mitro days we'd just go long but didn't have that luxury. We hung in there, Leno didn't have much to do and they were really under the cosh for 15 mins. Great effort from the lads and desperately disappointing but there is a reason they are top of the league and we are 13th. Gonna win the FA cup anyway so who cares?!

Palhinha Colada

Need to repeat this: taking off BOTH creative midfielders at the same time was absolutely absurd, and the last 10 minutes were sadly predictable. Absolutely zero threat after we had them on the ropes.

3rdgenfan

Silva got it wrong with the subs taking off Cairney Killed any momentum we had. After scoring he should have waited for at least 5 mins even though he had got them prepped to come on. Tete for Castagne I get

KentFulham

Quote from: Drewry66 on January 24, 2024, 10:05:57 PMGutted but end of the day we've lost to the best team in the league over two full matches by one goal. Loads of what ifs and maybes and it could have gone another way. They are a ridiculous team with a crazy press. Loads saying how rubbish we were first 60 mins but when all of our players are swarmed within half a second of getting on the ball you just have to give the other team credit. In the mitro days we'd just go long but didn't have that luxury. We hung in there, Leno didn't have much to do and they were really under the cosh for 15 mins. Great effort from the lads and desperately disappointing but there is a reason they are top of the league and we are 13th. Gonna win the FA cup anyway so who cares?!

Ageee with how good they were, but I don't thing it was a great effort, great last ten mins. Up till then we were woeful. Not about them being a top team, we struggled to put a pass together when we had the ball, that's not good enough.

We will learn, move on, survival is key now

Drewry66

Quote from: Palhinha Colada on January 24, 2024, 10:07:49 PMNeed to repeat this: taking off BOTH creative midfielders at the same time was absolutely absurd, and the last 10 minutes were sadly predictable. Absolutely zero threat after we had them on the ropes.

Yeah that was absolute madness. Cairney was on fire linking with Willian and Robinson all around our goal and AP had just put the best cross he has put in this season. The had all momentum. I love Marco but those subs were my biggest disappointment tonight.

Drewry66

Quote from: KentFulham on January 24, 2024, 10:08:34 PM
Quote from: Drewry66 on January 24, 2024, 10:05:57 PMGutted but end of the day we've lost to the best team in the league over two full matches by one goal. Loads of what ifs and maybes and it could have gone another way. They are a ridiculous team with a crazy press. Loads saying how rubbish we were first 60 mins but when all of our players are swarmed within half a second of getting on the ball you just have to give the other team credit. In the mitro days we'd just go long but didn't have that luxury. We hung in there, Leno didn't have much to do and they were really under the cosh for 15 mins. Great effort from the lads and desperately disappointing but there is a reason they are top of the league and we are 13th. Gonna win the FA cup anyway so who cares?!

Ageee with how good they were, but I don't thing it was a great effort, great last ten mins. Up till then we were woeful. Not about them being a top team, we struggled to put a pass together when we had the ball, that's not good enough.

Yeah but you have to give their press some credit. It is tough putting a pass together when you have so little time on the ball and our players just aren't good enough to cope with it. I was fuming against Chelsea as just so sloppy when time on the ball but Liverpool were just all over us.

Milo

I think for all the good he has done at Fulham, Silva has to reflect on his substitutions.

Burnley and tonight were prime examples of delayed substitutions due to Manager indecision. How can we all see the need for a sub, but Silva can't? Burnley it cost us a game after 10 mins of continued pressure. Nunez nearly scored again tonight after 10 minutes of continued pressure. These periods of the game.. 60-65 mins into the second half... they're crying out for substitutions. Yet.. time and time again Silva sits on his hands.

Why? Is it lack of awareness of momentum changing... or just lack of a pre-empted plan B?

This is an example of Silva not learning from his mistakes. Another is Tosin time and time again taking risks trying to play his way out of difficult situations. He was very lucky tonight they didn't end badly. Yet Silva seemingly hasn't noticed this.. and hasn't told him to stop doing it?

KentFulham

Quote from: Drewry66 on January 24, 2024, 10:13:00 PM
Quote from: KentFulham on January 24, 2024, 10:08:34 PM

Yeah but you have to give their press some credit. It is tough putting a pass together when you have so little time on the ball and our players just aren't good enough to cope with it. I was fuming against Chelsea as just so sloppy when time on the ball but Liverpool were just all over us.

That was a surprised we played from the back, teams have long found out we are dodgy at playing out, it is like watching two Bambi on Ices! The end goal is we just boot it out, Leno could do that without the messing about