News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Is Raheem Sterling, greedy, stupid or both?

Started by Nick Bateman, December 24, 2023, 11:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Early in the Wolves game he is boring down on the goal with TWO teammates alongside. He shoots at an angle straight at the 'keeper rather than square it to either Chelsea player who would have had an empty goal tap-in.

Chelsea go on to lose 2-1. Was he going for glory and very greedy, or was he ignorant of the situation he failed to spot was a certain goal he could have assisted?? The Chelsea fan reaction has said his actions were "criminal".

He was later correctly booked for diving.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Whitestone

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 24, 2023, 11:07:58 PMEarly in the Wolves game he is boring down on the goal with TWO teammates alongside. He shoots at an angle straight at the 'keeper rather than square it to either Chelsea player who would have had an empty goal tap-in.

Chelsea go on to lose 2-1. Was he going for glory and very greedy, or was he ignorant of the situation he failed to spot was a certain goal he could have assisted?? The Chelsea fan reaction has said his actions were "criminal".

I agree regarding your first point. A pass would almost certainly have led to a goal.

But there's no way that was a dive near the end of the game. I know Sterling has history but the referee got that completely wrong and probably only made the decision because of the player's  history.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Whitestone on December 24, 2023, 11:21:42 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 24, 2023, 11:07:58 PMEarly in the Wolves game he is boring down on the goal with TWO teammates alongside. He shoots at an angle straight at the 'keeper rather than square it to either Chelsea player who would have had an empty goal tap-in.

I agree regarding your first point. A pass would almost certainly have led to a goal.

But there's no way that was a dive near the end of the game. I know Sterling has history but the referee got that completely wrong and probably only made the decision because of the player's  history.
He had another "dive" in the same game, where he seemingly slipped on defenders leg on purpose. I personally don't think either one of those dives were typical dives, becasue there was contact that made him fall down. He however, initiated it both times (first time in particular), and both times he tried to milk it afterwards. If he got up straight away and didn't seem like he was looking to get a penalty, I doubt that the referee would have booked him.

On the big chance missed, I agree with both of you that he should have passed. It was a no brainer.

P.S. That Jackson miss later in the game was almlst as bad. Their team seems pretty disjointed, and on reflection, that loss against them seems extremely poor now in my opinion.

sarnian

Stirling was dreadful and cannot understand why he wasn't substituted.  Absolutely stupid when through on goal, similar to Wilson and Vini a few games back. The keeper knew he was going to either pass or shoot so dived in the right direction. He could just of easily rounded the keeper who was already committed and flat footed, gone the other way and walked the ball in the net.

He wa s brainless all game, running up blind alleys and loosing the ball all the time.  First incident a definite dive but not the second.

Cambridge Away

I never understood how someone who was racially abused by fans of a club would sign for that same club that has such a history of racism. I mean, surely he did his research after personally experiencing such abuse?

Perhaps he is a special agent, doing just enough to get a place in the team, but not enough for the club to progress.

filham

What has happened to Sterling, not so long ago he was possibly the best striker in the premier league.

JimOG

And his own effort was utterly feeble. If I'd been one of those two colleagues waiting for the simplest pass I'd have been livid. It was one of the most selfish acts I've seen on a football pitch

perry geyton

He's both
Thick & selfish

He's always rubbed me the wrong way, especially in an England shirt.

SP

Quote from: filham on December 25, 2023, 09:40:46 AMWhat has happened to Sterling, not so long ago he was possibly the best striker in the premier league.

Lost a yard of pace?

Also found it funny that Marcus Betenelli was booked while warming the bench. But then again, being paid silly money to sit on the bench must be rather nice,

Somerset Fulham

He is a fantastic footballer suffering with a mammoth loss of confidence in an absolute shitshow of a club. He speaks eloquently and has stood up to barrage after barrage of bigotry and abuse from all corners and remained an ambassador for the game.

I would have him here in an absolute hearbeat.

Stevieboy

I always thought Sterling was a gifted footballer but the difference between being good and being great,for me,is his decision making which in the main is the opposite of what is actually needed.

akf

Quote from: Cambridge Away on December 25, 2023, 06:25:16 AMPerhaps he is a special agent, doing just enough to get a place in the team, but not enough for the club to progress.

Looked at in this light, he put on a master class against Wolves, even securing defeat when an easy pass would have resulted in a goal. Of course, he needed a second dive to get the yellow, but that just shows grit and determination.

Logicalman

Quote from: Whitestone on December 24, 2023, 11:21:42 PM

Totally agree. He was selfish for the goal, but it was not a dive, per se, for the booking, he did what a number of players are doing and puposefully putting one leg out ahead of the opponent and then going down, but tbat is not a dive.

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on December 25, 2023, 08:13:27 PMHe is a fantastic footballer suffering with a mammoth loss of confidence in an absolute shitshow of a club. He speaks eloquently and has stood up to barrage after barrage of bigotry and abuse from all corners and remained an ambassador for the game.

I would have him here in an absolute hearbeat.

Yep, me too. For all his faults, he is a massive skill that someone like Marco could work with and bring it out of him with less of the antics that Sterling picked up playing for Citeh!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.