watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Hand Ball & Penalties

Started by SP, December 31, 2023, 09:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Surely it's time to revisit the current approach. Each game seems to have a different interpretation so we spend more time discussing the officiating than the match itself. Does my head in.

H4usuallysitting

Sting of the North

There are three broad options:

1. All contact with the hand leads to a penalty.

2. Penalties are never awarded for handball.

3. Penalties are awarded according to some subjective criteria.

We are currently at option 3, and we will likely never see a simple solution without contentious calls.

I agree though that some more consistency would be very welcome, and also more detailed explanations by referees.

filham

The old rule was sensible and widely accepted. It has to be deliberate and hand had to strike ball. Ball hitting hand accidentally was no offence.

In more recent times the approach was changed and an offence was given for any contact between hand and ball, accidental or deliberate.
I think at the moment there are signs of officials being more sensible and not awarding an offence for the handball that can't be avoided.
We are currently in no man's land with different refs taking different attitudes.

Woolly Mammoth

My interpretation is if the hand is by the side that is not hand ball.
 However depending on how close the player is, accidental or not, i assume if the hand is away from the body and it stops the flight of the ball then that is hand ball.
The way i see it, the key is " stopping or interfering with the FLIGHT of the ball."

Nothing is clear anymore though, and there will always be controversy, because players are basically out of control now by hounding referees, questioning every decision and will cheat to seek to gain an advantage no matter who is guilty or not guilty as honesty is no longer a word they understand.
No wonder referees have to be strong otherwise these spoilt rich brats will undermine them at every opportunity, because they are in the referees ear every second trying to sow seeds of doubt in his mind.
The problem is also compounded because unfortunately some referees are not impartial when it comes to big club v small club.
That is why i support referees being miked up as in Rugby Union.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 31, 2023, 11:21:51 AMMy interpretation is if the hand is by the side that is not hand ball.
 However depending on how close the player is, accidental or not, i assume if the hand is away from the body and it stops the flight of the ball then that is hand ball.
The way i see it, the key is " stopping or interfering with the FLIGHT of the ball."

Nothing is clear anymore though, and there will always be controversy, because players are basically out of control now and will cheat to seek to gain an advantage no matter who is guilty or not guilty as honesty is no longer a word they understand.
No wonder referees have to be strong otherwise these spoilt rich brats will undermine them at every opportunity, because they are in the referees ear every second trying sow seeds of doubt in his mind.
That is why i support referees being miked up as in Rugby Union.

Spot on, I  also think (like Rugby) only the captains should speak to a Ref !
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

somerset cockernee

The way I see it, if you have really massive hands, you are at a disadvantage.

deadcowboys

Perhaps players should have hands & arms surgically removed to completely solve the problem, except the Keepers of course.