watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nottingham Forest FFP trouble?

Started by jayffc, January 02, 2024, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nottingham-forest-could-face-ffp-financial-charge-everton-risk-second-penalty-premier-league-h0zqv8vft

Looks like they might be in a spot of bother....

After all the clamoring for how they were behaving in the transfer market at the time and comparing it to us... Not only did they finish below us last year, but we continue to stay above them AND they could it seems have flunked FFP rules and see repercussions.

BestOfBrede

Good!
Ridiculous how much they spent

btffc

Absolutely predictable based on how they've been operating since coming up. They've brought in like 20+ new players in the past two seasons. Imagine they will need to start offloading some of them. Maybe we can nick Awoniyi off them for cheap or something.

Angus Telford

The FFP story sounds like speculation based on very little factual information. Meanwhile they're 4pts below us and in the ascendancy following the appointment of Nuno. Not bad for a side that scraped their way up with a massively weaker team than us. I'm not a fan of their ownership or their recruitment style but to suggest it reflects positively on us takes somewhat creative and generous thinking.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Angus Telford on January 02, 2024, 07:46:29 PMThe FFP story sounds like speculation based on very little factual information. Meanwhile they're 4pts below us and in the ascendancy following the appointment of Nuno. Not bad for a side that scraped their way up with a massively weaker team than us. I'm not a fan of their ownership or their recruitment style but to suggest it reflects positively on us takes somewhat creative and generous thinking.

Well not really - have they ever been above us since we both got promoted and they spent a shed load more cash over three windows which was the OP's point, and now they could be facing a point deduction because of it, which would very much put them deep in another relagation battle. "In the ascendancy" when they beat a crap Man Utd and we've just beaten top 4 Arsenal, not sure I get that or your apparent negativity either

jayffc

Quote from: Angus Telford on January 02, 2024, 07:46:29 PMThe FFP story sounds like speculation based on very little factual information. Meanwhile they're 4pts below us and in the ascendancy following the appointment of Nuno. Not bad for a side that scraped their way up with a massively weaker team than us. I'm not a fan of their ownership or their recruitment style but to suggest it reflects positively on us takes somewhat creative and generous thinking.

We finished 10th last year following a brilliant season, above forest with way less expenditure and quality transfers.

Brilliant:
Palhinha
Leno
Periera
Willian
Diop
Solomon

Still contributed: Vini,lukic
Meh: Mbabu, james on loan, kurzawa loan

Then this year:

Iwobi
Jiminez
Bassey
Bollo Toure
Castagne

All been fantastic
With Traore on a free were yet to see how it goes after his injury

Were above them again with way less expenditure. And all without having to fire our manager and without getting in ffp trouble

It takes way more creative thinking and attachment to a negative outlook to deny that it reflects well on the overall running here, And when people try to discredit the board by saying...its only because of marco that were here.. Well that doesnt fly, they appointed him, and kept him here... well done them AND well done him for delivering what they hoped he would when they hired him...

Oh... And for getting him to sign a new contract 🤷

btffc

Quote from: jayffc on January 02, 2024, 08:01:47 PM

We finished 10th last year following a brilliant season, above forest with way less expenditure and quality transfers.

Brilliant:
Palhinha
Leno
Periera
Willian
Diop
Solomon

Then this year:

Iwobi
Jiminez
Bassey
Bollo Toure
Castagne

All been fantastic
With Traore on a free were yet to see how it goes after his injury

Were above them again with way less expenditure. And all without having to fire our manager and without getting in ffp trouble

It takes way more creative thinking and attachment to a negative outlook to deny that it reflects well on the overall running here, And when people try to discredit the board by saying...its only because of marco that were here.. Well that doesnt fly, they appointed him, and kept him here... well done them AND well done him for delivering what they hoped he would when they hired him...

Oh... And for getting him to sign a new contract 🤷

The hit rate on transfers since Marco has joined has been amazing. Don't know how much is him and how much is the recruitment team but nearly everyone that's been brought in has been great and the few that have been bad were either cheap or just loans so nothing that can't just be shrugged off.

Chi_FFC

Quote from: jayffc on January 02, 2024, 08:01:47 PMWe finished 10th last year following a brilliant season, above forest with way less expenditure and quality transfers.

Brilliant:
Palhinha
Leno
Periera
Willian
Diop
Solomon

While I strongly agree with you that our transfer business has been quite good over the past few years (other than I wish we would/could have spent a bit more money for a few more players) I do have one minor quibble with this particular list. I just don't think you can say that Lukic has contributed more than Dan James did in his time at the club. Say what you will about Dan James, but over his ~700 minutes while on loan here he was pivotal in our victory at Goodison (1 goal, 1 assist), earned a penalty that would have made the last couple minutes against Southampton a bit more comfortable if Mitro had scored it and but for a last minute Man U goal would have gotten us a point at the Cottage before the WC. Lukic cost ~$10M, has played ~900 minutes and I honestly hardly remember any of them.

jayffc

Quote from: Chi_FFC on January 02, 2024, 09:40:15 PM
Quote from: jayffc on January 02, 2024, 08:01:47 PMWe finished 10th last year following a brilliant season, above forest with way less expenditure and quality transfers.

Brilliant:
Palhinha
Leno
Periera
Willian
Diop
Solomon

While I strongly agree with you that our transfer business has been quite good over the past few years (other than I wish we would/could have spent a bit more money for a few more players) I do have one minor quibble with this particular list. I just don't think you can say that Lukic has contributed more than Dan James did in his time at the club. Say what you will about Dan James, but over his ~700 minutes while on loan here he was pivotal in our victory at Goodison (1 goal, 1 assist), earned a penalty that would have made the last couple minutes against Southampton a bit more comfortable if Mitro had scored it and but for a last minute Man U goal would have gotten us a point at the Cottage before the WC. Lukic cost ~$10M, has played ~900 minutes and I honestly hardly remember any of them.

Funny you should say that

Its the one transfer I ummed and awwed about where he should sit and nearly moved him into "contributed"... Ultimately fairly meh but he did have a couple important moments but generally meh where Lukic has been consistently "ok", not awful, not brilliant. On average Ive no qualms with them being listed in same section or could see why someone might swap em too

DadCreature

Makes sense.  They needed another victim to distract from what they should be doing to Man City.

hovewhite

For all the stick we give recruitment policy it looks very good and gives us food for thought when hitting our keyboards.

Bassey the warrior

Rumour is Chelsea won't be penalised which seems staggering. They've been so reckless in the market and spent an absolute fortune, with Champions League football looking unattainable how can they avoid going over the allowance? If my calculations are right they spent more than £700m net on transfer fees alone across the last two seasons, the season before they made a £20m profit.

HamsterWheel

I read a better article on Notts Forest FFP a while back which concluded that the sale of Brennan Johnson to Spuds would get them across the line. Was done on deadline day.

Angus Telford

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 02, 2024, 07:53:24 PM

Well not really - have they ever been above us since we both got promoted and they spent a shed load more cash over three windows which was the OP's point, and now they could be facing a point deduction because of it, which would very much put them deep in another relagation battle. "In the ascendancy" when they beat a crap Man Utd and we've just beaten top 4 Arsenal, not sure I get that or your apparent negativity either

They've just recorded back-to-back wins against Man Utd and Newcastle. They've 6 pts from 3 games since Nuno took over, which is more than double their PPG up to that point, so they most definitely look to be in the ascendancy.

If you want to be cynical, you could point out that Arsenal had one win in four games coming into our match - literally relegation form. FWIW I think it was a fantastic performance and result, but let's be consistent when comparing teams.

I doubt they'll be deducted points. This article is a non-story from a journo with no actual new information.

As I said, I don't particularly rate Forest's ownership or their transfer business. IMO they took a crude, scattergun approach, but despite that, despite coming up with a much weaker and smaller squad than us, and despite arguably having a weaker manager up to now, they'll probably finish around the same position as us this year. So I don't think a comparison to Forest serves the OP's agenda that well.

We ought to be well above them with the platform last season gave us.

SG

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 03, 2024, 10:11:47 AMRumour is Chelsea won't be penalised which seems staggering. They've been so reckless in the market and spent an absolute fortune, with Champions League football looking unattainable how can they avoid going over the allowance? If my calculations are right they spent more than £700m net on transfer fees alone across the last two seasons, the season before they made a £20m profit.

The comments in the papers are that Walham Green will be ok currently and going forward. They sold a lot of players some at inflated prices which are an immediate benefit to the FFP whilst the cost of the purchases will be spread over many years

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: SG on January 03, 2024, 11:37:18 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 03, 2024, 10:11:47 AMRumour is Chelsea won't be penalised which seems staggering. They've been so reckless in the market and spent an absolute fortune, with Champions League football looking unattainable how can they avoid going over the allowance? If my calculations are right they spent more than £700m net on transfer fees alone across the last two seasons, the season before they made a £20m profit.

The comments in the papers are that Walham Green will be ok currently and going forward. They sold a lot of players some at inflated prices which are an immediate benefit to the FFP whilst the cost of the purchases will be spread over many years

Doesn't make sense to me, how can giving them an extra long contract somehow work out as less reckless, surely they are spending more money overall?

Lordedmundo

Stories in the press today suggest that Chelsea are indeed in the clear with regard to spending and finance since Todd Boehly took over. However, I've not seen anything to suggest that investigations have been concluded with regard to financial irregularities during Abramovitch's time in charge: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/15/chelsea-fc-face-new-questions-over-how-roman-abramovich-funded-success

Sting of the North

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 03, 2024, 11:54:20 AM

Doesn't make sense to me, how can giving them an extra long contract somehow work out as less reckless, surely they are spending more money overall?

Well, on the flip side the trasnfer fees and salaries will have an impact long after any current sales can offset them. They will need to keep selling in order to keep on the right side of things. Also, going forward it will at least no longer be allowed to abuse FFC with super long contracts, which is good.

FreiBird

:slap:  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:  :slap:

ffcthereligion

It's the fact that you've only found this after having an argument with Angus Telford about gammons on the 'ridiculous decision' thread, then decided to take the time to trawl through his posts in the middle of the night until you find one where the content ended up being a bit wide of the mark to try to embarrass him or something that makes this particular dragging up of an old thread unique. A quite vituperative young man!