watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Successful End to the Season?

Started by heylookitsjacob, January 05, 2024, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heylookitsjacob

Now that we are about half way through this season, I'm curious what everyone's definition of success would be once this season's over? This could be anything related to transfers, cup runs, table places, etc.,

I'm in a forgiving mood at the moment, so if we stop our yoyo and stay up in the league again in combination with not getting walloped by liverpool in the EFL cup, I'm counting this year as a success.

love4ffc

Staying up and making it to the summer is all that matters.  Anything else is just gravy. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

peachcobbler

As love said, staying up is success for us. It doesn't mean we can't want more and cheer for more as that is what makes it special, but achieving higher is a cherry on top of an already great sundae that is being in the EPL.

I guess there are two potentially achievable levels above that, one I would call very successful, the other I would call amazing--1) Sustaining and finishing 12/13--keeps us out of relegation discuss, three team cushion, lots of momentum to build on, and who can forget the extra 6 mil! 2) Top half finish--amazing

We have a really interesting schedule, all of the current top 5 we have at home (and we saw how arsenal went) and 7 of the top 10 at home, two of those being in London still) (away to West Ham, Chelsea, MU). We do have some interesting away matches; Wolves has been great at home, all three new promoted teams, Brentford, and the already mentioned three.

I think my stretch goal is 12-13, I think it's very achievable for this team, but yes success is staying up.

SuffolkWhite

Once 40 points are achieved then I'll think about the question. Our inconsistency needs addressing, but it is looking promising.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Jim©

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 05, 2024, 02:48:50 PMOnce 40 points are achieved then I'll think about the question. Our inconsistency needs addressing, but it is looking promising.

Please can people stop talking about 40 points as if it's some magical mark. It's not. The average points tally has decreased the last few years as the top teams spend more and more. (the total for survival in last 7 seasons is over 3 points lower than it was 20 years ago).

36 seems to statistically be enough now, which doesn't sound far off of 40, but it's way more correct that the often bandied about 40.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Jim© on January 05, 2024, 03:29:56 PM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 05, 2024, 02:48:50 PMOnce 40 points are achieved then I'll think about the question. Our inconsistency needs addressing, but it is looking promising.

Please can people stop talking about 40 points as if it's some magical mark. It's not. The average points tally has decreased the last few years as the top teams spend more and more. (the total for survival in last 7 seasons is over 3 points lower than it was 20 years ago).

36 seems to statistically be enough now, which doesn't sound far off of 40, but it's way more correct that the often bandied about 40.

I hear you Jim, but I prefer the 40 points, hopefully it's a happy ending no matter what 😉
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

btffc

Quote from: Jim© on January 05, 2024, 03:29:56 PM

40 is pretty much never the minimum needed to be safe, but I believe except for maybe once 40 has always been safe so that's why 40 is targeted. 36 will get you relegated occasionally. 40 pretty much never will.

WindyCity

"Successful End to the Season?"

Lots of "ifs".

Palhinha status
Adarabioyo status
Robinson status
Pereira status
All above niggles from possible buyers, yes I know, mostly rumors.
Traore health status
Securing additional striker during winter window
Securing additional other help as needed during winter window (if above niggles take place)

I think with so many question marks and issues, just staying up this season should be primary goal.  And all things considered, staying up should be considered a somewhat successful campaign.

Cobh Fulham Fan

I know its not intended, but there's a fair bit of pessimism in those above posts. "If we make it to 40 points". Are people afraid the sky will fall in if they dare raise their ambitions and measure success by saying, "once we reach 50 0r 60 points".

A while back I made a prediction on here that we will surpass last seasons finish by coming in 8th in table, and im sticking to that.
You are what you think and believe, and I believe this team has it in itself to break last seasons 10th position. 

Staying up doesnt even enter into my thinking - that is already a given in my world, breaking records and improving on where we were last year, is the most exciting part of all this for me.

I believe in my team, and I'd shudder to think that those players would be going about their business now thinking and hoping that they will stay up and the end of the season, or even that they might settle for 12th or 13th place. Because if they really believed they cant improve or match their 10th place finish of last year, then, they probably will find themselves in a relegation struggle down the road.

But we are blessed, because unlike a lot of our supporters, I'm sure there's not a single glass half empty player among our squad and management.

And Please, dont anyone come back to answer this using words like 'realist' and 'real world' etc etc.  Arsenal found out last week how REALISTIC the REAL WORLD is!

Twig

I don't think there's any serious risk of us getting relegated so "staying up" seems to me a slightly low bar for a successful season, 12th or 13th would be pretty pleasing though.

For me success is more about what our squad looks like by the end of next summer. We were disrupted last year with the turncoat going to Saudi and the late Palhinha interest. Success to me would be losing no more than one of our important players and bringing in a winning combination of talent and youth.

wback

- Push Liverpool hard in the semi, ideally beating them (at least) in the home leg.
- Minimum quarters of the FA Cup (unless we draw City away in the next round like we seem to)
- End the season with more wins than losses (e.g. early 50s points)
- Get a nice away result or two
- Beat two more big teams at home
- Beat Chelsea

I Ronic

Reaching both Cup Finals and finishing above Brentford and Chelsea.
   I'd love to see the fast breaks, long crossfield balls that have ripped a few sides about this season become a permanent fixture.
   Tigana and Roy both put their stamp on Fulham teams. Marco and his team aren't far off achieving that.

DadCreature

Beat Chelsea.
Stay Up.

Next question?

filham

More or less as stated above,
Right now top priority is those 40 points that means another premier league season for certain, n,
A good league cup semi final showng
An FA Cup run to 6th roound
A mid table finish
Retaining al top players.

Angus Telford

Think we'll finish on less points than last year and the squad quality has at best plateaued. Not quite the 'failure' relegation would amount to, but closer to failure than 'success'.

However, a cup final plus the double signing of Andre and a young, top quality forward this month would transition it to a firm success for me. 

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

- Stay up
- Stay up comfortably (by 10+ points)
- Win a cup

In order of likelihood. I'd be happy with just the first, with my fingers crossed that the Khans intend to solidify our position within the league rather than tread water.

Rupert

Mid table finish and two domestic trophies, please.

I'm not greedy.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Whitestone

Qualification for Europe would be fantastic. To achieve that would probably mean we would be domestic cup winners. Something which is long overdue.

SerbianLad

All things considered, I'd say another top half finish would be a success. Anything more than that, like European places or cup wins would make it an extremely successful season.