Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

I'd go for:

Leno
Castagne Tosin Diop Robinson
      Palhinha Cairney
    BDR Andreas Willian
            Raul

Same lineup as against Arsenal, but with Diop and Andreas in for Bassey and Iwobi, who are of course, off to AFCON.

Had another two dillemas, Castagne/Tete and BDR/Wilson. I still trust Tete more defensively, and while Castagne is better in the build-up of attacks, I think Tete is a better crosser of the ball as well. Wilson, from memory, always does well against Liverpool, but Bobby scored two in two, and both goals were huge as well. All in all, I went with the two that started the Arsenal match in the end.

Brawn

Unchanged from Arsenal (sans Pereira for Iwobi and Diop for Bassey). Tonight was clearly a trial run for a Adarbioyo/Diop partnership.

GK 17 B Leno

RB 21 T Castagne
RCB 4 T Adarabioyo
LCB 31 I Diop
LB 33 A Robinson

DM 28 J Palhinha

RM 14 B De Cordova-Reid
RCM 10 T Cairney
LCM 18 A Pereira
LM 20 Willian

ST 7 R Jimenez

ffcthereligion

Agree with both posters so far. Realistically with iwobi and Bassey out the line up pretty much picks itself. The only dilemmas are tete/castagne and Wilson/BDR

I could easily keep changing my mind on both of those dilemmas. Wilson offers more to us as an off the bench option than BDR would do if we need attacking impetus. But I think what might just sway it for me in favour of Wilson is that Liverpool do not currently have a fit left back in the squad and so will be forced to play Gomez there to compensate. Wilson I believe would be more of a threat to a makeshift LB than BDR.

As for the RB debate, I'm a big tete fan. He scored against Liverpool last month, loves a battle and as Serbian lad says is a better crosser. I would probably start him and then look to give him a breather later on or go 5 at the back if we need with castagne in the middle (as I believe he can play there too)

filham

Damage limitation for this 1st leg match at Anfield.

Leno
                          Tete        Tosin     Diop     Robinson

Reed        Palhinha

BDR          Periera        Willian

Jimenez

A fully fit Wilson and Cairney to start in the 2nd leg.

Deeping_white

Quote from: filham on January 06, 2024, 10:25:48 AMDamage limitation for this 1st leg match at Anfield.

Leno

Reed        Palhinha

Jimenez

Damage limitation??? Did you not see what happened when we took the game to them a few weeks ago? They have no Salah, Endo or Szoboszlai which is massive for us

demeant0r

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 06, 2024, 10:35:48 AM
Quote from: filham on January 06, 2024, 10:25:48 AMDamage limitation for this 1st leg match at Anfield.

Leno

Reed        Palhinha

Jimenez

Damage limitation??? Did you not see what happened when we took the game to them a few weeks ago? They have no Salah, Endo or Szoboszlai which is massive for us

I mean we are without Bassey, Iwobi and Ballo Toure. The former two pretty crucial to the way we play.

SerbianLad

Leno

Reed        Palhinha

Jimenez

Cairney was already rested vs Rotherham. Don't know why he wouldn't be fully fit.

It will be a hard game though, obviously. But I'd rather get in their faces like we did last time, and try to outscore them. We probably won't, but we have a better chance at that than at keeping them at bay by playing defensively.

In the 4-3 loss, we conceded 4 absolutely world-class goals, and all of our goals were very well worked goals, so we were very unlucky to not get a draw at least. In that 2-2 draw at the start of last season, we also went toe to toe with them by attacking them. So for me, that's the way to go again.

Al-Fayed

Think we'll really miss Iwobi. High time Pereira upped his game.

Jims Dentist

Pereira will be anonymous in a game like this.

Benny

Pereira never has an impact in these games, it's a shame we don't have a better option available as we'll be back to playing with 10 men again

SerbianLad

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 05, 2024, 11:48:01 PMI'd go for:

Leno
      Palhinha Cairney
    BDR Andreas Willian
            Raul

Same lineup as against Arsenal, but with Diop and Andreas in for Bassey and Iwobi, who are of course, off to AFCON.

Had another two dillemas, Castagne/Tete and BDR/Wilson. I still trust Tete more defensively, and while Castagne is better in the build-up of attacks, I think Tete is a better crosser of the ball as well. Wilson, from memory, always does well against Liverpool, but Bobby scored two in two, and both goals were huge as well. All in all, I went with the two that started the Arsenal match in the end.
Team news by Marco say Ream may be available, but I'd still go with this team I posted when I started this thread.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 08, 2024, 06:04:33 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on January 05, 2024, 11:48:01 PMI'd go for:

Leno
      Palhinha Cairney
    BDR Andreas Willian
            Raul

Team news by Marco say Ream may be available, but I'd still go with this team I posted when I started this thread.

Yeah no way can ream go straight into this game