watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best players at the cottage

Started by Finnans Right Peg, January 28, 2024, 03:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnans Right Peg

To take our minds of the last two games thought I would ask you all ,to name the top three players you have seen at the Cottage that were not playing for Fulham .

Ill go with

HENRY ,KEANE AND Salah

Cumbrian White

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on January 28, 2024, 03:34:46 PMTo take our minds of the last two games thought I would ask you all ,to name the top three players you have seen at the Cottage that were not playing for Fulham .

Ill go with

HENRY ,KEANE AND Salah
Cantona, Scholes, Ronaldo, Ronaldo in particular seemed to enjoy playing us.

SP

Henry is a standout for me, unbelievable finishing.

Also, the night Brazil played at the Cottage, I think it was Ronaldinho who was in Rolls Royce mode.

sarnian

Henry is the only players that I have seen receive standing applause from both sets of fans.

hovewhite

Rooney,Worthington,currie,Ronaldo,Kane Salah,Henry.

Whitestone

George Best, Louis Saha, Dimitar Berbatov.

Motspur

Mousa Dembele playing for Spurs after he had left us and got a standing ovation.

Motspur Park

Torres for Liverpool, Berbatov who was untouchable and Ronaldo, who frightened me whenever he got the ball.

horse1031

Jamie88

Quote from: Cumbrian White on January 28, 2024, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on January 28, 2024, 03:34:46 PMTo take our minds of the last two games thought I would ask you all ,to name the top three players you have seen at the Cottage that were not playing for Fulham .

Ill go with

HENRY ,KEANE AND Salah
Cantona, Scholes, Ronaldo, Ronaldo in particular seemed to enjoy playing us.

Cantona? Unless there is some sort of charity/benefit match that I'm unaware of, I can't see how he ever played against us; we didn't play United between 1979 and 1999 and Cantona left them in 1997.

Thailand Mick

blingo

filham

I have already posted on this thread but it seems to have gone missing, I will try again.

1. Bert Trautman, The best goalkeeping performance ever seen at the Cottage.

2. Bobby Charlton, over 100 England caps and a gentleman with a sweet left peg.

3. Stanley Mathews played in top class football at the age of 50.

Eton White

Quote from: filham on January 29, 2024, 11:57:18 AMI have already posted on this thread but it seems to have gone missing, I will try again.

Filham,
You actually posted this on the "Time for Marco to move on" thread!

Somerset Fulham replied to it asking if you'd posted it on the wrong thread as it seemed very random! I did wonder myself why you'd written those players' names! 

Edit: At least the mystery of the missing post has been solved! :slap:

filham

Quote from: Eton White on January 29, 2024, 12:19:29 PM
Quote from: filham on January 29, 2024, 11:57:18 AMI have already posted on this thread but it seems to have gone missing, I will try again.

Filham,

Somerset Fulham replied to it asking if you'd posted it on the wrong thread as it seemed very random! I did wonder myself why you'd written those players' names!  :slap:
Sorry, yet another senior moment.

Eton White

Quote from: filham on January 29, 2024, 12:22:01 PM
Quote from: Eton White on January 29, 2024, 12:19:29 PM

Filham,

Somerset Fulham replied to it asking if you'd posted it on the wrong thread as it seemed very random! I did wonder myself why you'd written those players' names!  :slap:
Sorry, yet another senior moment.

Happens to the best of us! ::thumb::

Jim©

I'd have to agree with Henry, sheer class, made it all look v easy. Ronaldo was more than a handful.
Arjen Robben one day put on an incredible display when one of his shots hit the crossbar and nearly pulled it out the ground- he looked like the fastest player I'd ever seen that day.

As a team, that 1st half performance by Shaktar was just a different level to anything I've ever watched. They had an incredible team-
Srna, Douglas Costa, Fernandinho, Willian, Jadson, Adriano etc. Unbelievable and at half time I'd have put any of that 11 down as the best players i'd ever seen.

Cambridge Away

I seem to remember Lee Hodges and Sean Devine having a particularly good game against us when Barnet dominated us in the old Division 3 in the mid 90s. 

Unlike with Henry, rather than offer a standing ovation for their silky skills, the Fulham faithful affectionately serenated their every touch with the chant "GYPO!, GYPO!..." (repeat and fade)         As was tradition to do to football players who had adopted the long, curly-hair look that was fashionable at the time.

Of course it's now widely known that you shouldn't refer to people as 'Gypsies'. It is quite an outdated word and could be considered as offensive to people in their community

...The correct term is 'Pikie'.

Joking aside, my friend was working for Croydon Council in the 00s and met Sean Devine's mum who was, as you'd expect, immensely proud that her son was so well thought of by football fans in the lower leagues.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Tom Finney for Preston.   Absolute class in his time.
George Best for Man Utd.  Say no more.
Jimmy Greaves for Spurs.  Excluding the goal when Macedo bowled to ball to him!

Strangely enough I cannot remember Stanley Matthews playing well against Fulham.

RaySmith

John Connolly of Burnley -a top team at the time, who beat us in the FA Cup semi-final in 1962, after controversially  getting a replay - Mo Cook denied a sure fire pen in the last min when through on goal.

Anyway, I remember  England international, Connolly, later of Man U - taking us apart from his right wing role, at the Cottage, and scoring a hat-trick, giving Jim Langley a torrid time.

Other great players I saw at the Cottage at this time include, Jimmy Mcillroy, also of Burnley; Charlton, Law, Best, later of Fulham, of course, of Man U; Dave Mackay and  Danny Blanchflower of Spurs; Leeds United's -Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner, and Allan Clarke, formerly of Fulham, of course.

I've also seen Stan Matthews, playing for Stoke at the end of his career, but my memory is of seeing him at Stamford Bridge for some reason, though I know he's played at the Cottage.