watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Afcon

Started by General, January 30, 2024, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I'm paying more attention to it and enjoying the games and drama that's unfolding, and the crowds are getting bigger which is a relief. There's been some good goals score, some great end to end games and there's a lot of familiar names as well as underdog teams doing well like cape verde and equitorial guinea.

But how can it improve and how does the state of African football improve?

I say this primarily because the ivory coast have won 1 game in 4, scoring 3 goals over two games and somehow find themselves in the quarter finals. It's as if they just have to show up.

And there's nothing necessarily dodgy about their games and how they got there either.

Mendy gave away a penalty to them with a rash challenge and one of the Senegalese players hit the post when the game went to penalties.

Surely there should be a harder route to the QFs for a continent of over 1 billion people and 54 countries.

I do have to admit, I am enjoying seeing players with mixed citizenship or part of the diaspora playing for their African heritage countries. Will bring on the quality of the game there no end.

Just imagine if they had the majority of the French team of the last two world cup finals or players like Zidane play there.

Shredhead

Nigeria probably deserved to win tonight so we'll have 2 current Cottagers (Iwobi & Shirley) and 2 former (Lookman & Aina) in the final on Sunday. Good luck. COYW.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

EN1 FFC

Hope Iwobi wasn't taken off because he's carrying an injury

btffc

Quote from: Shredhead on February 07, 2024, 09:45:32 PMNigeria probably deserved to win tonight so we'll have 2 current Cottagers (Iwobi & Shirley) and 2 former (Lookman & Aina) in the final on Sunday. Good luck. COYW.

Will Troost-Ekong for Nigeria was in the academy for a couple year and Jean-Michael Seri is on Ivory Coast as well

hovewhite

Was hoping Nigeria lost last night so we could have the duo back.

Thailand Mick

Quote from: hovewhite on February 08, 2024, 08:29:39 AMWas hoping Nigeria lost last night so we could have the duo back.
they wouldn't be back if they lost because there is a 3rd/4th place game on Saturday with the final on Sunday. Lets hope they win it now.

JEEVES

Quote from: EN1 FFC on February 07, 2024, 10:00:10 PMHope Iwobi wasn't taken off because he's carrying an injury

He just had a terrible game from what I gather from twitter

Ronnief

Well I've watched a few of the Afcon matches especially the ones involving Fulham and ex Fulham players. The semi finals were disappointing as they were very defensive. The heat may have had a lot to do with the style of play but I thought Iwobi did OK and Bassey played his defensive role well. Not sure I'll bother waiting for the penalty shootout in the Final. Hope Iwobi and Bassey come back uninjured and not too tired from their exertions. Acclimatizing to the colder weather may be an issue when they come back so I'll forgive them if they wear gloves. ::scarf:: 

jarv

Just our luck.  Two players still there playing in the final. I was seriously hoping they would be knocked out and home ready for the next game. I think it hurt us not having them, dropping points in the last 2 games.

Andy S

I don't understand why the African cup games need to be played in mid season

Somerset Fulham

Well I wouldn't fancy trying to play tournament football in Morocco in the Summer...

btffc

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on February 08, 2024, 02:10:22 PMWell I wouldn't fancy trying to play tournament football in Morocco in the Summer...

Well, AFCON 2025 is in Morocco and scheduled to be played in June and July so we'll find out how that goes.

Somerset Fulham

Yeah, that is what I was getting at, although badly worded!

There will be a world more injuries and burn out through that than there will be in it's current form I would imagine.

General

Slightly odd to know that we've had almost half of the Nigerian teams 1st team play for us at Fulham.. I wonder where we'd be if we had kept them, or whether it's indicative of where international football on the continent is..

Are they that good, or is the football in Africa not that good yet?

For what its worth, iwobi and bassey are good, bassey is developing and sometimes has his weaknesses but is pretty solid. Iwobi is good and technically very talented.

Lookman seems to have come on leaps and bounds, whilst I always rated Aina as a solid PL and versatile full back.

Troost Ekong obviously didn't have much of a career at the club but has clearly done well for himself since, so can't really comment on him as I haven't followed his career and ability much.

Surlyc

Quote from: Andy S on February 08, 2024, 01:43:12 PMI don't understand why the African cup games need to be played in mid season
Because FIFA spend more time filling their pockets than actually acting like a global association for football.

AFCON should be every 4 years in January/February and UEFA should create a hole in the calendar for it (a winter break). But that would require some football administrators to do some actual work. :slap:

cmg

Quote from: General on February 08, 2024, 04:05:33 PMSlightly odd to know that we've had almost half of the Nigerian teams 1st team play for us at Fulham....

...Cote d'Ivoire will feature Fofana and JM Seri.