watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Josh King

Started by Arthur, February 04, 2024, 05:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

I watched the second-half of our U-18's cup-tie against Liverpool. It was 0-0 at half-time and, reading the match report on the offal, it seems we had been the better team. The second-half was a different story, however. We were somewhat second best - conceded three and created almost nothing of note.

At the back, Luc De Fougerolles looked decent. He's not as good as Tony Gale or Paul Parker were at that age, in my opinion, but players' transition from the junior ranks to the first XI is very different nowadays. Whether he's a genuine prospect or another whose ceiling will be the lower leagues, I don't know.

The player who stood out most, by far, was our centre-midfielder Josh King. He's a diminutive figure but he controls the ball almost effortlesly, has great balance and picks a good pass - often keeps it simple but also has the ability to make something happen. I would say he's a mix of Cairney and Carvalho. Josh was named on the bench at Turf Moor yesterday, but would only have been subbed on, if at all, once the game was certainly won. While recognising that Jay Stansfield and Luke Harris play in different positions to Josh, I rate him as an even better prospect.

I hope we can manage his development such that he becomes a regular part of our squad and, ultimately, our starting XI. I'd like to see him have some minutes if ever we have the luxury of a winning position such as we enjoyed versus Forest and West Ham.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

When the players came out at the beginning of the match it was clear that Liverpool were mostly taller and physically stronger than us. Despite this Fulham were the better team in the first half but like the first team seemed to lack a strong physical striker. Good chances were missed and Liverpool resorted to cynical fouling at times. The second half was a different story in fact I missed their second goal it was so quick after the first. I don't know why the whole match changed but it was more of what I had expected from the reputation of their youngsters.'Fig Rolls ' did well at the back but I shudder at the thought of him up against Bournemouth.

@jolslover

Interesting thanks, good post
STH H3

Bill2

Quote from: Arthur on February 04, 2024, 05:36:40 PMI watched the second-half of our U-18's cup-tie against Liverpool. It was 0-0 at half-time and, reading the match report on the offal, it seems we had been the better team. The second-half was a different story, however. We were somewhat second best - conceded three and created almost nothing of note.

At the back, Luc De Fougerolles looked decent. He's not as good as Tony Gale or Paul Parker were at that age, in my opinion, but players' transition from the junior ranks to the first XI is very different nowadays. Whether he's a genuine prospect or another whose ceiling will be the lower leagues, I don't know.

The player who stood out most, by far, was our centre-midfielder Josh King. He's a diminutive figure but he controls the ball almost effortlesly, has great balance and picks a good pass - often keeps it simple but also has the ability to make something happen. I would say he's a mix of Cairney and Carvalho. Josh was named on the bench at Turf Moor yesterday, but would only have been subbed on, if at all, once the game was certainly won. While recognising that Jay Stansfield and Luke Harris play in different positions to Josh, I rate him as an even better prospect.

I hope we can manage his development such that he becomes a regular part of our squad and, ultimately, our starting XI. I'd like to see him have some minutes if ever we have the luxury of a winning position such as we enjoyed versus Forest and West Ham.

While he looked very good, I thought our outstanding player was the number 10 Callum Osman. Great control and quick, ball semes to stick to his feet. Hopefully both are good prospects and maybe moved up into the 1st team squad.

MickTheBeard

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on February 04, 2024, 07:02:55 PMWhen the players came out at the beginning of the match it was clear that Liverpool were mostly taller and physically stronger than us. Despite this Fulham were the better team in the first half but like the first team seemed to lack a strong physical striker. Good chances were missed and Liverpool resorted to cynical fouling at times. The second half was a different story in fact I missed their second goal it was so quick after the first. I don't know why the whole match changed but it was more of what I had expected from the reputation of their youngsters.'Fig Rolls ' did well at the back but I shudder at the thought of him up against Bournemouth.

MickTheBeard

The under18s and 21s don't have a goalscoring big no9 have spoken to a few scouts who come to watch development games that Fulham's have gone for more for boys with slight of build don't no why maybe bigger clubs go for bigger boys hopefully things will change biggest problem can be also if a scout is good bigger clubs will pinch him.

Ronnief

Adebayo now at Luton was developed at our academy. You wouldn't call him small.

cmg

Dan Burn was only 5'3" when he got off the train from Darlington, just look at him now.

hovewhite

Burn  and Adebayo are having fine careers shame we let them go.

Snibbo

Dan Burn was a bit of a scapegoat on the forums. I recall comments such as "Burn has got the turning circle of the Titanic"

RaySmith

Quote from: Snibbo on February 06, 2024, 06:30:00 AMDan Burn was a bit of a scapegoat on the forums. I recall comments such as "Burn has got the turning circle of the Titanic"

I remember people saying he didn't have the quality for the top flight, bit of a donkey, though always put in a good effort - remember that as general feeling on here.

Jim©

Quote from: RaySmith on February 06, 2024, 06:51:06 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on February 06, 2024, 06:30:00 AMDan Burn was a bit of a scapegoat on the forums. I recall comments such as "Burn has got the turning circle of the Titanic"

I remember people saying he didn't have the quality for the top flight, bit of a donkey, though always put in a good effort - remember that as general feeling on here.
I was one of them and there was little he did in his Fulham appearances to change my mind on that- he didn't look like a professional footballer much of the time. His turnaround has been remarkable and reminds me of when Gary Elkins, one of the poorest players in my lifetime in a fulham shirt, went to Wimbledon and performed brilliantly for them in the top flight for a few years.

What I really didn't like about him was the sneering at the Wilson injury he caused and then the holding his hand to his ear to the Hammersmith End after he scored against us. For god's sake, we got him from non league and set him on this path, show a touch of class.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: hovewhite on February 06, 2024, 06:12:16 AMBurn  and Adebayo are having fine careers shame we let them go.

Check  how many clubs Adebayo has been through before making the grade. Hardly a steal from us. He is 26?

Yorkie_FFC

Quote from: MickTheBeard on February 05, 2024, 11:44:41 AMThe under18s and 21s don't have a goalscoring big no9 have spoken to a few scouts who come to watch development games that Fulham's have gone for more for boys with slight of build don't no why maybe bigger clubs go for bigger boys hopefully things will change biggest problem can be also if a scout is good bigger clubs will pinch him.

I wonder if its the change of football in recent years regarding style. Although sometimes handy to have a big 9 especially in the Premier League you can play with a false 9 or even no strikers at all like Man City. They do have the advantage of the height of Haaland (and obvious talent) but playing that way set pieces have to be developed.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: Yorkie_FFC on February 06, 2024, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: MickTheBeard on February 05, 2024, 11:44:41 AMThe under18s and 21s don't have a goalscoring big no9 have spoken to a few scouts who come to watch development games that Fulham's have gone for more for boys with slight of build don't no why maybe bigger clubs go for bigger boys hopefully things will change biggest problem can be also if a scout is good bigger clubs will pinch him.

I wonder if its the change of football in recent years regarding style. Although sometimes handy to have a big 9 especially in the Premier League you can play with a false 9 or even no strikers at all like Man City. They do have the advantage of the height of Haaland (and obvious talent) but playing that way set pieces have to be developed.

The fact is that against Liverpool their team was largely bigger and stronger than us. Both the U21 and u18 teams play the same style as the first team and it was noticeable that despite good movement we had no one getting on to the wingers crosses. Despite that in the first half we made enough chances to put one or two away but could not finish.
Where have I heard that before?