watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bassey

Started by perry geyton, February 10, 2024, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_FFC

Quote from: Bassey the warrior on February 11, 2024, 06:03:47 PMI think Iwobi and Bassey will be given time to rest so will start from the bench for a bit

We'll see, but frankly their workload at AFCON (a tournament being played in the same time zone as London) hasn't been any heavier than if they'd been with Fulham. Assuming they both play 90 today, Iwobi will have played 529 minutes and Bassey 577 minutes in this competition. Over the same period of time, Antonee Robinson has played 630 minutes, Pereira 562 and old man Willian 562! If both avoid injury today, I'd really hope to see them starting on Saturday. 

SerbianLad

Quote from: Arthur on February 11, 2024, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 06:30:00 PMApart from long balls, I'd personally put Diop ahead of all of our centrebacks, apart from maybe Bassey.

He makes some terrible mistakes from time to time, and unfortunately that's the only thing some people seemingly remember. There were multiple games this season where he was the best Fulham player or close to that.

One other underrated aspect of his game is the ability to play both the right and left centreback at a pretty similar level. Bassey and Ream, and to a lesser extent Tosin, all play significantly worse if they don't play on there prefered side.

Wouldn't you say his ability to perform to a similar standard in either position is primarily because passing and carrying the ball forward is nowhere near as much a part of his game as it is Bassey's, Ream's or Tosin's? If Diop were trying to hit as many either lengthy or precise forward passes as our other centre-backs, I reckon he'd have a preferred side too.
Maybe, but he has other strengths, as I said, apart from long ball passing, I don't think there's anyone better than Diop at other parts of the game(maybe Bassey at certain parts of the game).

His short ball passing is very secure as well, probably even more so than Ream's, Tosin's or Bassey's. When our other cb's play on what isn't their prefered side, they usually don't even try those long balls, they make mistakes when they go short.

Arthur

Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 07:18:05 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 06:30:00 PMOne other underrated aspect of his game is the ability to play both the right and left centreback at a pretty similar level.

Wouldn't you say his ability to perform to a similar standard in either position is primarily because passing and carrying the ball forward is nowhere near as much a part of his game as it is Bassey's, Ream's or Tosin's? If Diop were trying to hit as many either lengthy or precise forward passes as our other centre-backs, I reckon he'd have a preferred side too.

Maybe, but he has other strengths...

Indeed, he does.

My point, however, is that his ability to play both sides is not an underrated aspect of his game.

You've presented this as a positive when, actually, it's an aspect of his game by default - because he is somewhat less capable than our other centre-backs with the ball at his feet.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Arthur on February 11, 2024, 07:36:07 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 07:18:05 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 06:30:00 PMOne other underrated aspect of his game is the ability to play both the right and left centreback at a pretty similar level.

Maybe, but he has other strengths...

Indeed, he does.

My point, however, is that his ability to play both sides is not an underrated aspect of his game.

You've presented this as a positive when, actually, it's an aspect of his game by default - because he is somewhat less capable than our other centre-backs with the ball at his feet.

I don't agree with that. Bassey/Ream/Tosin try to keep it simple (a la Diop) when they play on their non prefered side and still make mistakes. Do you not remember those games this season when both Tosin and Diop were out? Our CB pairing looked extremely shaky.

Diop might not be the best long ball passer and keeps it simple more often than not, but he looks pretty much like the same player whether he's played on the right or on the left. He's also the superior to other cb's(apart from maybe Bassey) in other parts of the game in my opinon and I would start him in every game when fit.

To get back to the topic, I'd start Bassey when he's back. Ream was marvelous against Bournemouth, but overall, Bassey has been better this season in pretty much all of the games, and he offers us another useful asset which is speed.

When everyone is fit, I'd go with this back four:
Tete-Diop-Bassey-Robinson

perry geyton

Quote from: copthornemike on February 11, 2024, 06:03:30 PMWe have four quality, but not perfect, CBs and we have needed four quality CBs this season.
Tim Ream was quality today, but competition is a good thing.
He is not getting any younger so enjoy him while we can 👏
100% it's definitely a good thing and I like them all, shame it looks like Tosins walking away on a free come this summer, no
Idea why he won't put pen to paper..?!?

btffc

Quote from: perry geyton on February 11, 2024, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on February 11, 2024, 06:03:30 PMWe have four quality, but not perfect, CBs and we have needed four quality CBs this season.
100% it's definitely a good thing and I like them all, shame it looks like Tosins walking away on a free come this summer, no

Tosin's been described by teammates as extremely cocky. On top of that he came up with Manchester City so that would have shaped his view as well. I'm fairly certain he believes he belongs in a bigger club playing in the Champions League. He may find that he isn't quite at the level to be a starter for a club like that but if that's what he wants to pursue then I can't really knock him for it.

Then again he might fit in well at a club like that with how good he is with his feet.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: perry geyton on February 11, 2024, 08:48:35 PM

Because he has ambitions and has always given the impression that he only sees Fulham as a stepping stone.

Arthur

Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 07:45:27 PMI don't agree with that. Bassey/Ream/Tosin try to keep it simple (a la Diop) when they play on their non prefered side and still make mistakes. Do you not remember those games this season when both Tosin and Diop were out? Our CB pairing looked extremely shaky.

Diop might not be the best long ball passer and keeps it simple more often than not, but he looks pretty much like the same player whether he's played on the right or on the left. He's also the superior to other cb's(apart from maybe Bassey) in other parts of the game in my opinon and I would start him in every game when fit.

If Ream, Tosin or Bassey could pass a ball no better than Diop, would they not be 'much the same player whether on the right or the left'? And wouldn't this only be true because all three would now be lesser players - not better ones? (I'm 'much the same player' as a right-sided or left-sided centre-back: I'm useless in both positions.)  In itself, being 'much the same' is not a positive aspect.

Ask me, however, whether a 'non-passing' Ream, Tosin or Bassey would be as good as Diop and it is the true positive aspect of his game that gives him the advantage: he'd be better than Ream and Tosin because he's stronger - more powerful.

Diop, then, is as physically imposing in either centre-back position. While less physically imposing, so are Ream and Tosin. It is the difference in their physical strength that sets them apart rather than any specific ability to play either side. On their 'wrong' side, Ream, Tosin and Bassey's passing would be poorer. This, however, drags them down (for want of a better term) to Diop's level (of passing); it doesn't raise Diop up.

All the same, having tried to unpick the logic in this, I'll happily agree most people will look at Diop, as you have done, see that he can perform equally well right or left, and regard this as a good thing.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Arthur on February 11, 2024, 09:59:09 PMOn their 'wrong' side, Ream, Tosin and Bassey's passing would be poorer. This, however, drags them down (for want of a better term) to Diop's level (of passing); it doesn't raise Diop up.
Each to their own, but this is not true imo. They do not drop to Diop's level, they drop below it. If I'm being honest, Bassey's performances very largely terrible this season when played on the right, as an example, and his passing was atrocious when he played there. It wasn't on Diop's level, but good 2,3 levels below it.

hovewhite

Quote from: SerbianLad on February 11, 2024, 10:06:10 PM
Quote from: Arthur on February 11, 2024, 09:59:09 PMOn their 'wrong' side, Ream, Tosin and Bassey's passing would be poorer. This, however, drags them down (for want of a better term) to Diop's level (of passing); it doesn't raise Diop up.
Each to their own, but this is not true imo. They do not drop to Diop's level, they drop below it. If I'm being honest, Bassey's performances very largely terrible this season when played on the right, as an example, and his passing was atrocious when he played there. It wasn't on Diop's level, but good 2,3 levels below it.
to be fair thats100% correct.

Arthur

I can see where you are coming from. If Bassey's passing was worse in those games, I would say it's because he tried to play more difficult passes with his weaker foot than Diop would attempt with his. Assuming Bassey has the ability to learn where his limitations on his right foot are, I think he'd likely be as reliable as Diop is with his left foot.

But this is taking us off at a tangent. It doesn't, I believe, impact on my assertion that Diop's ability to perform equally well in both centre-back positions is as much as consequence of a shortfall in his passing ability as anything else and cannot, therefore, truly be listed among his strong points.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Arthur on February 11, 2024, 11:05:22 PM

I can see where you are coming from. If Bassey's passing was worse in those games, I would say it's because he tried to play more difficult passes with his weaker foot than Diop would attempt. Assuming Bassey has the ability to learn where his limitations on his right foot are, I think he'd likely be as reliable as Diop is with his left foot.

But this is taking us off at a tangent. It doesn't, I believe, impact on my assertion that Diop's ability to perform equally well in both centre-back positions is as much as consequence of a shortfall in his passing ability as anything else and cannot, therefore, truly be listed among his strong points.
Disagree with your opinion completely, but respect it nonetheless.

Happy with all four options and I hope Tosin renews.

Angus Telford

Must say i disagree completely as well.

Being able to pass equally well when playing as LCB and RCB is only half the story. It's just as much, if not more, about being able to defend in either role. Positional sense in each role, showing the attacker 'outside' etc. Tackling, just like kicking, is something most players will be better at coming into from a favoured side.

Being able to play well in either role is an asset.

Arthur

Quote from: Angus Telford on February 11, 2024, 11:27:48 PMMust say i disagree completely as well.

Being able to pass equally well when playing as LCB and RCB is only half the story. It's just as much, if not more, about being able to defend in either role. Positional sense in each role, showing the attacker 'outside' etc. Tackling, just like kicking, is something most players will be better at coming into from a favoured side.

Being able to play well in either role is an asset.

A good post.

I accept it is valid to cite equal tackling ability in either centre-back role as a strength if both are - as is the case with Diop - of a high standard.

My inclination, however, is to say if a centre-back has good positional sense, it will be so whichever side he plays. Irrespective of which is a player's favoured side of the field, positioning himself on the other side is simply a mirror-image. During the course of a game, there are going to be situations in which, say, Ream, finds himself defending in a part of the pitch that would typically be occupied by his defensive partner. My feeling is (although I may be wrong) Ream is no more likely to position himself incorrectly. He knows where to be to get tight and where to be to drop off; he doesn't get his 'outside' and 'inside' mixed up; he is no less able to work with other defenders to catch an attacker offside.

But I do take your point that not every player tackles as well to both the right and left of his body.

LC

In terms of depth we currently have the 4 best centre backs we've ever had in the PL.

I think Bassey is our best centre back, followed by Tosin, Diop and Ream.

Diop was certainly better than Tosin last season but this season Tosin has stepped up- maybe because he's trying to secure a big money move for himself, or maybe he's just hit some good form or simply realising his potential. Either way I hope Tosin stays.

Ream has been a good servant but I think the younger guys are starting to take over. Ream is still good and an important member of the squad

Twig

Quote from: LC on February 12, 2024, 02:55:06 AMIn terms of depth we currently have the 4 best centre backs we've ever had in the PL.

Diop was certainly better than Tosin last season but this season Tosin has stepped up- maybe because he's trying to secure a big money move for himself, or maybe he's just hit some good form or simply realising his potential. Either way I hope Tosin stays.

Ream has been a good servant but I think the younger guys are starting to take over. Ream is still good and an important member of the squad

Bassey probably is the best of the four but I absolutely regard Ream as ahead of Diop (and always will be).

LC

Quote from: Twig on February 12, 2024, 02:34:38 PM
Quote from: LC on February 12, 2024, 02:55:06 AMIn terms of depth we currently have the 4 best centre backs we've ever had in the PL.

Bassey probably is the best of the four but I absolutely regard Ream as ahead of Diop (and always will be).

I don't mind that, but it's close, and I think it's a good debate to have- it just means we have some pretty good options

Carborundum

On the subject of wrong sides for CBs, to me it seems less important than whether the CB can play a high line or needs a deeper line.  One of our CBs needs a deeper line and it affects the entire back four.  Passing angles, positioning of midfield, everything gets harder and harder the more deeply the team plays. 

There was an interesting article recently about how Chelsea are a more fluent proposition with Tiago Silva out of the team, because he has to be further back when he plays.  Resonated.

Another factor is how hard opposition press.  No defender looks consistently great when a heavy press is on.  But these can't last all game.  In the Championship we were masters at weathering first half presses, then exploiting wide open spaces second half.  It's still a factor in the Prem, though a little less so.

AJW48361

The Team is definitely kitted out for an attempt at 3 at the Back.I wonder if Marco will give a try before the season is over!

Chi_FFC

Quote from: Carborundum on February 12, 2024, 04:13:10 PMOn the subject of wrong sides for CBs, to me it seems less important than whether the CB can play a high line or needs a deeper line.  One of our CBs needs a deeper line and it affects the entire back four.  Passing angles, positioning of midfield, everything gets harder and harder the more deeply the team plays. 

Saw a good example of this on Saturday. Bournemouth are a decent side but they shouldn't have 25 shots and 13 corners against us.