A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When Schwarzer comes back....

Started by SmithyFFC, January 23, 2011, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should have the number one jersey, Schwarzer or Stockdale?

Schwarzer
21 (70%)
Stockdale
9 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 23

SmithyFFC

Basically, who does everyone reckon should be number one when Schwarzer comes back.
FTID

BalDrick

Schwarzer for me, but I reckon Stockdale's got a good shout for the #1 shirt next season. Saying that, no point in paying Schwarzer to sit on the bench
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

MJG

Part of me would be tempted to let Stockdale stay in place for another game or two and let mark be on the bench, in the end competition is good it keeps players on their toes. It will be a real test for him at Liverpool.

BarryP

When Schwarzer returns normal operations will resume with Stockdale on the subs bench.  The more interesting prospect may be who will wear the #1 shirt next season.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Ag

This has been a good experience for Stockdale but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's surpassed Schwarzer.  If anything, he's been a bit fortunate at times.  No harm having a solid young keeper in the system to eventually succeed Mark, but there's also no point in rushing him before his time if we don't have to.

Scrumpy

Quote from: MJG on January 23, 2011, 06:51:17 PM
Part of me would be tempted to let Stockdale stay in place for another game or two and let mark be on the bench, in the end competition is good it keeps players on their toes. It will be a real test for him at Liverpool.

Agreed. Let's keep Stockdale in for a game or two after Mark returns. He'll make a mistake at some point (as all keepers do) and that will be a convenient excuse to bring Mark back in. It will do him good to know we have confidence in him, and it would do Mark good to be on the bench for a few games.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Stockdale can't be on the bench forever,what more does he have to do to play every week? If good money come in for Schwarzer cash in,invest in the best 18/19 keeper we can to play Number 2 and bank the rest -jobs a good un!

TonyGilroy

For me Mark Schwarzer's the best keeper we've ever had and I want him to continue for as long as he can maintain that standard.

David Stockdale's doing well though.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 23, 2011, 09:54:51 PM

For me Mark Schwarzer's the best keeper we've ever had and I want him to continue for as long as he can maintain that standard.

David Stockdale's doing well though.
Yep, my feelings exactly, but after the Aussies flirtings with the Arse i like Stockers better.

FatFreddysCat

But of course it wouldn't hurt the Aussie to wait a few games to get back in the team if Stockers is still doing the business, but any repeats of the wigan showing should see him straight back to the bench.

HatterDon

Stockdale. He started the season at #1 and only lost the gloves because of injury. When Mark went to Qatar, Young Mr. Stockdale took over and has remained unbeaten. For me, it's Stockdale's position to lose.

I am, however, not Mark Hughes, so ... .
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

Stockdale's been fine these last few games but he hasn't really been tested.

I can imagine Schwarzer being given a couple of week's break but for Stockdale to become our number one I think he has to show form that makes him undroppable.

Be nice if that happened on Wednesday.

My feeling about Stockdale is that he's a great shot stopper but doesn't command the area as well as Schwarzer.

Watching the keepers warm up before the match it's struck me how incredibly light on his feet Schwarzer is. He's an incredible athlete and could continue for a few years yet.

FC Silver Fox

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 23, 2011, 08:45:11 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 23, 2011, 06:51:17 PM

Agreed. Let's keep Stockdale in for a game or two after Mark returns. He'll make a mistake at some point (as all keepers do) and that will be a convenient excuse to bring Mark back in. It will do him good to know we have confidence in him, and it would do Mark good to be on the bench for a few games.
Disagree with you on this one, Scrumpy. A keeper, even more than a striker, thrives on self-confidence. What will it do to Stockdale's confidence if he's dropped after a bad game? How will he play on his next selection knowing that a bad game will see him back on the bench. If I were going to bring back Schwarzer, I'd do it with Stockdale playing well.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

LRCN

we're all excited about seeing a genuine good young (in relative terms) player make his mark with the first team but schwarzer is still clearly the better goalie, and until that changes we must go with him. stockdale will keep developing under his and zubahs coaching and hopefully in a season or two we will see him secure that first team spot.

BalDrick

I do like Stockers but let's be honest, he had precious little to do on Saturday bar catch a few high balls. Early on he was rooted to the spot when Jones hit the post when he should have scored. Wednesday will be a proper test for him, let's wait till Thursday before canonising him shall we?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Whiteroom

Schwarzer walks straight back into no.1. No question. He is world class, and he will also be on a high from his international games. I think it would almost be an insult to put him on the bench for the sake of competition.