watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wilson.... surely now

Started by H4usuallysitting, February 17, 2024, 06:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

He needs to play in a more fluid position...not just right wing, but more central & left & right wing.... If now fully fit, I'd start him over Pereira

Surlyc

I expect Iwobi to start on the right against United, with the undroppable Perreira retaining his place.

I'm not sure why Wilson can't get ahead of BDR at the moment, his performances off the bench certainly suggest he should move up the pecking order.

TC's Sporran

i could see wilson doing  a lot of what pereira does badly but the things pereira does well is not wilsons game. ive studied him lately and his so called press isnt as good as what people reckon.  flatters to deceive.

filham

No doubt our attack is not proding sufficient goals and needs serious surgery, I think next week Wilson should replace BDR and Iwobi should replace Periera. That change may give United a little more trouble.

Bill2

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 17, 2024, 06:58:33 PMHe needs to play in a more fluid position...not just right wing, but more central & left & right wing.... If now fully fit, I'd start him over Pereira
[/quotew to, not sure what Pereira brings to the party at the moment. Only 1 goal all season and can't recall a shot on target recently, the one yesterday would have been gr at at Twickenham.

S.F.Sorrow

The problem with Wilson is his lack of consistency. He always looks better coming off the bench. When he was a regular starter he could play a blinder in one game and then be more or less invisible in the next five games. You never know what you're gonna get with Wilson in the starting 11.

It's also a matter of finding the right defensive balance. Wilson for BDR would leave us far more exposed down that side. With Palhinha suspended I can't see Marco doing this. Especially not at Old Trafford.

I don't think Wilson for Pereira is a realistic option. They're too different. Wilson probably wouldn't be able to do what Marco wants from a player in that position.

Personally I would rather see Iwobi as a starter and Wilson coming off the bench.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 18, 2024, 11:23:13 AMThe problem with Wilson is his lack of consistency. He always looks better coming off the bench. When he was a regular starter he could play a blinder in one game and then be more or less invisible in the next five games. You never know what you're gonna get with Wilson in the starting 11.

It's also a matter of finding the right defensive balance. Wilson for BDR would leave us far more exposed down that side. With Palhinha suspended I can't see Marco doing this. Especially not at Old Trafford.

I don't think Wilson for Pereira is a realistic option. They're too different. Wilson probably wouldn't be able to do what Marco wants from a player in that position.

Personally I would rather see Iwobi as a starter and Wilson coming off the bench.

I'm saying Wilson in for Pereira... I don't think left wing is Wilson's happiest position - I'd play him in the same position that he plays for Wales....more central, but fluid

hovewhite

It's tough to know with Wilson ,he seems to be an impact player to me,when he has started he's not been that effective.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: hovewhite on February 18, 2024, 02:52:38 PMIt's tough to know with Wilson ,he seems to be an impact player to me,when he has started he's not been that effective.

Maybe he's not playing in his best position

btffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 18, 2024, 12:46:33 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 18, 2024, 11:23:13 AMThe problem with Wilson is his lack of consistency. He always looks better coming off the bench. When he was a regular starter he could play a blinder in one game and then be more or less invisible in the next five games. You never know what you're gonna get with Wilson in the starting 11.

I'm saying Wilson in for Pereira... I don't think left wing is Wilson's happiest position - I'd play him in the same position that he plays for Wales....more central, but fluid

We would be completely changing the way we operate in attack to give Wilson a fluid central position and Wilson is nowhere near good enough to refocus our tactics around.

I know he does well there for Wales but the level of competition in European qualifiers is far below the Premier League. Even the best team in their group, Croatia, is going to be closer to the bottom of the PL than the top. Armenia and Latvia are League 1 level at best.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: btffc on February 18, 2024, 03:25:16 PM

We would be completely changing the way we operate in attack to give Wilson a fluid central position and Wilson is nowhere near good enough to refocus our tactics around.

I know he does well there for Wales but the level of competition in European qualifiers is far below the Premier League. Even the best team in their group, Croatia, is going to be closer to the bottom of the PL than the top. Armenia and Latvia are League 1 level at best.

Disagree.....he takes Pereira's place.... yesterday and a couple of games now he's played in that more fluid central roll.... I've yet to see him start a game in any position other than right wing

btffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 18, 2024, 04:59:49 PM

Disagree.....he takes Pereira's place.... yesterday and a couple of games now he's played in that more fluid central roll.... I've yet to see him start a game in any position other than right wing

He played left wing yesterday. Iwobi was playing centrally and Adama was on the right

Somerset Fulham

What was interesting with Wilson yesterday was that he was trying to play in the triangles with Cairney and Robinson in the same way as Willian does and it was effective.   When on the right he does tend to plough a bit of a lonely furrow and generally just tries to beat a man on his own, which looks great when it comes off but does leave us exposed when it doesn't.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: btffc on February 18, 2024, 06:18:18 PM

He played left wing yesterday. Iwobi was playing centrally and Adama was on the right

Correct - he was supposed to be on the left, but he was wandering into a more central position.... similar to his Wales role..... I'd start him over Pereira

FishaPrice

Quote from: TC's Sporran on February 17, 2024, 07:51:44 PMi could see wilson doing  a lot of what pereira does badly but the things pereira does well is not wilsons game. ive studied him lately and his so called press isnt as good as what people reckon.  flatters to deceive.

Andreas' press used to be much more vigorous and high intensity. It hasn't been at that level for a long time now. Not sure if it's the player or team tactics.