News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who do we think starts instead of Palhinha in the next 2 games?

Started by SerbianLad, February 17, 2024, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

What's our midfield going to look like?

Probably Lukic or Reed start, but maybe Marco experiments and surprises us.

So far this season, Lukic started in his position vs Everton and Brentford, Reed vs Man City(Lukic was injured) and Wolves. Lukic came on from the bench instead of Palhinha vs Forest, Chelsea and now Villa, Reed vs West Ham and Burnley. In both cup games, Lukic played in Palhinha's position with Reed further forward.

Maybe Tosin/Bassey could play there. I guess Cairney-Pereira-Iwobi trio is also an option, but that seems too offensive.

My guess is, based on what Marco did so far, both Reed and Lukic start one game each, unless one who starts the first one plays exceptionaly well.

Thames Bank 1

Let's put it this way, as much as I love Marco, he seriously missed an opportunity today .
Iwobi, Bassey and Wilson should have started despite last week's result.Robbo again as much as I love his enthusiasm, which is basically all he has, needs to make way for traore at left back, and if only adama could finish, Arsenal away and now Villa home. We need to play the whole 90 mins, not 65-90

Drewry66

Quote from: SerbianLad on February 17, 2024, 10:57:23 PMWhat's our midfield going to look like?

Probably Lukic or Reed start, but maybe Marco experiments and surprises us.

So far this season, Lukic started in his position vs Everton and Brentford, Reed vs Man City(Lukic was injured) and Wolves. Lukic came on from the bench instead of Palhinha vs Forest, Chelsea and now Villa, Reed vs West Ham and Burnley. In both cup games, Lukic played in Palhinha's position with Reed further forward.

Maybe Tosin/Bassey could play there. I guess Cairney-Pereira-Iwobi trio is also an option, but that seems too offensive.

My guess is, based on what Marco did so far, both Reed and Lukic start one game each, unless one who starts the first one plays exceptionaly well.

Was thinking about this and I think this could be Luckic s last big chance to really impress. I think it was telling that Marco subbed him on rather than Reed for Joao today. I get the feeling Marco sees Luckic as the back up to Joao over Reed.

I know it's not Luckic s favourite position but if Marco does opt for him for a few games can he finally really show something?

I am praying he does. One of the most frustrating signings we have made. Sounds like he has been excellent for Serbia and looked brilliant at Torino as well. Captained them and sounded like they were gutted he was leaving. Felt like a steal when we got him. 5 goals and 4 assists a couple of years ago! None for us so far and hasn't really ever looked particularly like doing either. Doesn't seem brilliant defensively and going forward just always seems to play short safe passes without any penetration.

All harsh however. Just looked at the minutes he has played and totals only 13 games. Like Muniz on the other thread that isn't much time to come good. A lot of those games played out of position. He looked excellent pre season and was first choice start of the season. Even if out of position in defensive midfield can he finally really take his chance? If not and he's poor I really wonder if we'll sell back to Italy in the summer. Harsh with limited game time but unlike Muniz he is not young and we would probably get most of our money back this summer as they really rate him in Italy. I hope he gets the next two games and has a stormer however to finally show his levels from Torino.

H4usuallysitting

Probably Reed or Lukic...but don't be surprised to see Bassey in that position

Whitestone

My guess is it'll be Lukic because he usually comes in when Palhinha is unavailable.

The Rational Fan

"Lukic #6 and Reed #8" should both start with Cairney on the bench, because either "Reed #6 and Cairney #8" or "Lukic #6 and Cairney #8" will be too weak defensively.

bog

FFC In Oz

I'd like to see with Lukic & Reed with Iwobi ahead of them.

However, I think it will be Lukic & Reed with Pereira ahead of them.

filham

Dodger53

Just hope it's not Reed. Since signing a new contract he has been well off the pace.

Baszab

Super Mick

Utd should have been without Casemiro next week. Blatant second yellow against Luton, but as per normal, ref bottles it! VAR not interested. Standard!

SerbianLad

After some thinking and looking at the posts here, I've come to a conclusion that it would probably be sensible to start both Lukic and Reed, with one of Cairney/Andreas/Iwobi in front of them.

Neither one of Lukic/Reed is good enough defensively to replicate what Joao does, and if you take who our opponents are into consideration, we'll probably need both.

Grassy Noel

We are still waiting for a first memorable moment from Lukic. How long can we afford to wait?

Shredhead

Quote from: Grassy Noel on February 18, 2024, 06:09:36 PMWe are still waiting for a first memorable moment from Lukic. How long can we afford to wait?
How about his first contribution yesterday was to scythe down a Villa player and get a yellow? At this rate he'll get a red quicker than the Sheffield player today and be out for the Brighton game. I'd start Reed ahead of him.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

SerbianLad

Quote from: Shredhead on February 18, 2024, 06:33:10 PM
Quote from: Grassy Noel on February 18, 2024, 06:09:36 PMWe are still waiting for a first memorable moment from Lukic. How long can we afford to wait?
How about his first contribution yesterday was to scythe down a Villa player and get a yellow? At this rate he'll get a red quicker than the Sheffield player today and be out for the Brighton game. I'd start Reed ahead of him.
Daft move from him. Marco brought him on to avoid the risk off getting a player sent off(Palhinha) and that yellow rendered that decision useless.

On a more positive note, he stole the ball that initiated the Adama chance.

Still, I hope that he returns to his performance levels from the start of the season at least, where he seemed to have cemented his place in the starting eleven before his injury.

perry geyton

Reed Cairney

Iwobi

Lukic needs to be sold he offers nothing, how anyone could suggest him over Reed is beyond me

StuinSalop

I would give Lukic 2 games next to Reeds energy to prove he has a future with us or not.  I would play Bassey and Tosin and out wide Iwobi and Willian or Wilson depending on Willian's hamstring, I may give him 2 weeks recovery time.  Cairney goes back to super sub probably for Pierra.

Surlyc

I think it's Lukic & Reed behind Andreas, with Iwobi coming in on the right.

I'd also start with Bassey/Diop at CB, bring more physicality & pace into the team.