more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Three Tick system

Started by Roberty, February 19, 2024, 01:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus Telford

Quote from: btffc on February 19, 2024, 03:43:04 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 19, 2024, 03:00:54 PMHow convenient as usual that posters just make up things to suit their argument. There is no proof that TK is much less involved or has less to say, and there is no proof that Silva has his own targets independent of scouting/stats. Maybe it is just a process that has matured along the way, and the cooperation between scouting, stats and manager works better now? Is that so inconceivable?

While there is no proof, the heavy amount of Portuguese speakers in our targets and signings would suggest he does have a lot of influence on who we target. Believe Tony also said in an interview last year that Marco was extremely important and involved in our recruitment.

I think also if you look at TK's visible role in AEW (look at his AEW-related Twitter activity around deadline day, for example) you have to be quite imaginative to believe he could be juggling that with a significant DOF role at a top flight football club.

filham

The three tick system sounds sensible but the big question is do you need three ticks to sign a player or will a majority of two suffice and does each tick carry equal weight.
Have to think back to the old days and wonder what giants like Brian Clough would have said about a three tick system.

RaySmith

Quote from: filham on February 19, 2024, 05:04:06 PMThe three tick system sounds sensible but the big question is do you need three ticks to sign a player or will a majority of two suffice and does each tick carry equal weight.
Have to think back to the old days and wonder what giants like Brian Clough would have said about a three tick system.

Cloughie sometimes went against the wishes of his chairman and board at Derby in signing players and offering them contracts.

Cloughie wanted Dave Mackay of Spurs, now 33, though his chairman thought the fee too high, but Clough and assistant Peter Taylor, drove down to London to Mackay's house and offered him a deal, which he accepted.

MacKay was instrumental in Derby getting promoted to the old First (top) Division, and left  just before  unfashionable Derby won the League Championship title.

Sammyffc

Its extremely common for clubs to use a stat system before hiring players so i am also perplexed as to why TK gets hate for it. yes, in the beginning it was a moneyball approach however that does seem to have changed. We are in fact a top 10-16 league club in the best richest/best league in the world, something many other clubs would die to have.

I would say much of the hate online comes from teenagers, you see it on X all the time, they have this thing where they believe they could run the club better. Then you go on their profile and see they are still in high school, and there are dozens of them who constantly bash the Khans. Actually, id say 80% of them on x are around this age range.

Thankfully people on this board seem more rational and actual have some basic understanding of football and business in general.

filham

I would assume that the manager always has the last word and the power of a veto, otherwise how can he be held responsible for results.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on February 19, 2024, 05:04:06 PMThe three tick system sounds sensible but the big question is do you need three ticks to sign a player or will a majority of two suffice and does each tick carry equal weight.

Cloughie would have knocked on the D of F door and or the Chairmans door and read them their rights or read them the riot act, and probably would have told them to stop interfering and leave it to the professionals.
He would have explained that a Tick is a small, spider-like creature which feed on the blood of birds and mammals, including humans. They vary in size, usually between 1mm to 1cm long. They have either 6 or 8 legs.
Then he would have sent them away with a Flee in their ear.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Snibbo

Quote from: Sammyffc on February 20, 2024, 12:36:07 PMI would say much of the hate online comes from teenagers, you see it on X all the time, they have this thing where they believe they could run the club better. Then you go on their profile and see they are still in high school, and there are dozens of them who constantly bash the Khans. Actually, id say 80% of them on x are around this age range.

There is a lot on the Tiff that seems to come from bitter, older obsessive guys

Roberty

I would doubt that the Stats Analysis was ever the way that targets were identified - there must have been a degree of preselection either from scouting or manager input or both - before the stats were run.

To run them first would produce an impossibly long list of targets, most of whom would not be suitable for one reason or another.

I seem to remember MS saying that no one came in who he did not approve of and I would also think that a lot of the targets either he and/or scouting put forward were not possible for one reason or another - player or club not interested or not enough budget for instance or having to balance the spending over a number of positions to stay withing FFP rules.

It is not clear to me what stats they rely on - but I would imagine if forms part of scouting reports - a lot of which, these days, would be from TV coverage
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 20, 2024, 11:04:23 PM

Cloughie would have knocked on the D of F door and or the Chairmans door and read them their rights or read them the riot act, and probably would have told them to stop interfering and leave it to the professionals.
He would have explained that a Tick is a small, spider-like creature which feed on the blood of birds and mammals, including humans. They vary in size, usually between 1mm to 1cm long. They have either 6 or 8 legs.
Then he would have sent them away with a Flee in their ear.

Cloughie ran his clubs at break even at first and later for a profit, which for an owner changes everything.

Unsurprising, Owners tend to interfere less when each time a manager asks for £5 he returns you £6 later (like Cloughie) rather than returning £3 like most managers today.

Every owner knows if they don't get involved, this club will never break even, because every club outside the big six need to find a new way to break even and any solution probably needs to be smarter with our investment in players.

The Question is "how the owner should get involved to break even and spend better on player recruitment?".

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on February 19, 2024, 09:20:29 AMAll top clubs have obviously used stats for years. It's a matter of HOW the stats are used. If the person in charge of transfers is totally clueless we can end up buying players with impressive stats but unsuitable for the position he's supposed to play for us (like for example Anguissa). Or waste money on players with great stats but a worrying injury record (like we've done on multiple occasions under our current DoF/Head of Recruitment...).

I don't think it's a coincidence that our success in the transfer market in recent years has gone from abysmal during the years when TK seemed to be very actively involved at the club to quite good after daddy gave TK the Men in Tights to play with and TK now seems to spend most of his time in the US, even though he in theory also has at least three full time jobs at FFC... in addition to around ten "jobs" at Jacksonville Jaguars TrueMedia and AEW...

And just to be clear, I have nothing against our owner EXCEPT that he gave FAR too much control over the club to his clueless son. How a person with no experience in football whatsoever and several other "jobs" at the other side of the Atlantic can be appointed Director of Football, Head of Recruitment and Sporting Director is beyond me.

BTW, when I say "clueless" I obviously mean clueless with regards to running a football club. I'm sure Tony Khan is a reasonably intelligent person and a nice guy with many other qualities. But I think we're better off with him spending most of his time with the Men in Tights, and let other, more experienced people run FFC.

I agree with your analysis and you have hit the nail firmly on the head.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

From what I understand from football & the reason klippity klopp announced his departure from Liverpool, club's are putting together target's, budget's & summer training etc in December/January.... So, our or any DOF could be in any country that has internet & a phone to communicate with their respective club.....The head of Shell doesn't fill up your petrol tank