watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 24/02/24...

Started by WhiteJC, February 23, 2024, 11:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

"I don't think it's the right time" – Fulham star reveals why he rejected January transfer
Fulham star Andreas Pereira has confirmed that he recently turned down a move to Saudi Arabia.

That was revealed in a very long interview he gave to Globo Esporte in Brazil. There he talked about how much he's enjoyed his time with the Whites, and his wish to stay at the club for longer.

First of all, Pereira was asked how he managed to settle at Fulham after repeated loans away from Manchester United. At that point, he gave Marco Silva some credit.

"Fulham gave me the platform to show my quality in the Premier League and to the world. From the start, my relationship with the team, the fans and, above all, the coach Marco Silva, helped me a lot. He believed in me, opened the door for me to return to England and allowed me to show everyone that I can play at the highest level and make a difference. It means a lot to me. It was also a confirmation for me."

Pereira was then asked to talk more about Silva, as the support from the manager has been a topic since Fulham were in talks to sign him, and the midfielder only praised his boss.

"We spoke clearly from the start and he said he believed in my style of play and my qualities. That I had to prove it in the Premier League, consolidate myself and make a difference and show that I have the ability to play every game. He knows how to move players around, he gave the example of Richarlison. He's a coach who knows that for a Brazilian it's a dream to play for the national team, and that's my biggest goal. He said that it can't just be a dream, that I have to fight for it, and I agreed with him from the first conversation.

"I'm playing in a more attacking position than I used to. I used to play as a second centre-half, but here I'm a midfielder, a 9.5 behind the striker. I had to adapt for the first two or three months, but Marco Silva made the job very easy by telling me what to do in games."

Then Globo Esporte mentions that he had an offer to leave for Steven Gerrard's Al-Etifaq at the start of January. Pereira explained why he's not interested in leaving the Premier League right now.

"I don't think it's the right time to make a move out of Europe. I have a dream of playing for the national team, and the chance of being called up is much greater playing in Europe, playing in the Premier League, which is one of the toughest leagues in the world. Even though it's not a certainty, I've been playing football since I was a kid with the national team in mind. Whether you like it or not, what makes you happy is fighting for your dream. I'm living in a moment where I'm playing well here and I'm keeping that dream alive. I'm fighting for it."

Pereira has a contract with Fulham running until 2026, with an option for an extra year. Since arriving at the club in 2022, he's made 70 appearances, with six goals and 13 assists.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-dont-think-right-time-fulham-star-reveals-rejected-january-transfer/

WhiteJC

Muniz could win Brazil call up
An update to yesterday's story about Fulham midfielder Andreas Pereira winning an international recall comes courtesy of the Evening Standard this morning. In-form Rodrigo Muniz is being watched by new Brazil boss Dorival Junior ahead of next month's friendly matches against England and Spain.

Dorival, who will name his first squad since taking over from Fernando Deniz next week, is known to be an admirer of Pereira's silky skills and ESPN Brazil revealed that the former Manchester United number ten held talks with the former Sao Paulo head coach at Motspur Park last week. The Standard's Dom Smith reports that Muniz, who has scored four goals in three games this month, could be in line for a first senior international call-up having taken his first-team opportunity in the absence of the injured Raul Jimenez.

Dorival is expected to offer opportunities to uncapped European-based players and watched Fulham train at Motspur Park yesterday before meeting Pereira and Muniz in person. Fulham head coach Marco Silva praised the former Flamengo forward ahead of the weekend trip to Manchester United:

"Rodrigo got his chance and stepped in and showed his quality. He's had spells in the season where he hasn't scored, or injuries have stopped his run, but now he's playing well and I'm really happy for him."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/02/muniz-could-win-brazil-call-up/

WhiteJC

Pereira spurned Saudi switch
Andreas Pereira has told the Brazilian press that he snubbed a ig money move to Saudi Arabia during the January transfer window because of his loyalty to Fulham.

The former Manchester United attacking midfielder, heavily tipped to be included in the Brazilian national squad named next week for the March friendlies against Brazil and Spain, credited Marco Silva and the Fulham faithful with helping him settle down in London after a number of loan spells. Pereira, who returns to Old Trafford with the Whites tomorrow, told Globo Esporte:

"Fulham gave me the platform to show my quality in the Premier League and to the world. From the start, my relationship with the team, the fans and, above all, the coach Marco Silva, helped me a lot. He believed in me, opened the door for me to return to England and allowed me to show everyone that I can play at the highest level and make a difference. It means a lot to me. It was also a confirmation for me.

We spoke clearly from the start and he [Silva] said he believed in my style of play and my qualities. That I had to prove it in the Premier League, consolidate myself and make a difference and show that I have the ability to play every game. He knows how to move players around, he gave the example of Richarlison. He's a coach who knows that for a Brazilian it's a dream to play for the national team, and that's my biggest goal. He said that it can't just be a dream, that I have to fight for it, and I agreed with him from the first conversation.

I'm playing in a more attacking position than I used to. I used to play as a second central midfielder, but here I'm a 9.5 behind the striker. I had to adapt for the first two or three months, but Marco Silva made the job very easy by telling me what to do in games."

Pereira confirmed that he had been approached by Saudi Pro League side, Al-Etifaq, managed by former Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard, at the start of the transfer window but turned down their interest.

"I don't think it's the right time to make a move out of Europe. I have a dream of playing for the national team, and the chance of being called up is much greater playing in Europe, playing in the Premier League, which is one of the toughest leagues in the world. Even though it's not a certainty, I've been playing football since I was a kid with the national team in mind. Whether you like it or not, what makes you happy is fighting for your dream. I'm living in a moment where I'm playing well here and I'm keeping that dream alive. I'm fighting for it."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/02/pereira-spurned-saudi-switch/

WhiteJC

Tosin: 'Silva's man-management and tactics are brilliant'
Fulham centre back Tosin Adarabioyo has praised Marco Silva's 'brilliant man-management and tactics' in an interview with the Times' chief football correspondent Henry Winter.

The Mancunian native, who could make his return to the Whites' starting line-up at Old Trafford tomorrow mere miles from where he grew up, spoke in glowing terms about Silva's influence on his game since the Portuguese manager took over from Scott Parker at Craven Cottage in 2021.

He's demanding, but we really enjoy it. They [training sessions] are lengthy and it can be quite intense. I think he gets carried away sometimes but he just wants the best for us and team. His man-management and tactics are brilliant."

Those skills have been tested as Silva seeks to keep a surfeit of centre halves, including Tosin, happy with their game time. The 26 year-old feels he has forged a strong understanding with Calvin Bassey, who recently helped Nigeria reach the final of the African Cup of Nations.

"Me and Calvin have had some good games together this season. We have that trust that when either gives an instruction we know that, 'OK, I can commit to this 100 per cent because I know Calvin is there to cover or I'm there for him.' "

Tosin, who has failed to agree terms with the Cottagers over an extension to his current contract which expires in just four months, spoke in glowing terms about his experiences of playing at the Cottage.

"It is special playing there, a bit smaller than other grounds but it's kept that heritage, keeping the Cottage."

But the intensely ambitious defender spoke of his confidence of being able to play in the Champions' League and earning England honours with Fulham beginning to line possible replacements.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/02/tosin-silvas-man-management-and-tactics-are-brilliant/

WhiteJC

Predicted Manchester United line-up for Fulham clash with youngster tipped for first-ever Premier League start
Our predicted Manchester United line-up for tomorrow's Premier League clash with Fulham at Old Trafford. Kick-off is at 3pm.

The Red Devils will be looking to make it five successive league wins on the bounce when they host Marco Silva's side in M16 and given that their recent, resurgent run of form opened up the prospect of a top-four finish, the side will certainly be keeping tabs on how Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur fare over the coming game-weeks.

Erik ten Hag has been dealt two significant injury blows across the past few days though, initially learning that Luke Shaw has likely played his last game for the season after sustaining a muscle complaint, which explains his early substitutions in his past two outings.

A muscle injury has also, unfortunately, taken Rasmus Hojlund victim and ruled him out for two-to-three weeks. The prolific youngster would've been on the back of seven goals in six games with his confidence through the roof heading into Saturday's fixture, but now sees his impressive streak put on hold for the time being.

His absence leaves no recognised senior centre-forwards in the squad as Anthony Martial is also unavailable, so Ten Hag may look to his youth talent to try and get a job done in front of the United faithful; The Athletic's Laurie Whitwell claims Omari Forson, 19, is in line for his first-ever league start and could be picked over the likes of Antony and Amad Diallo. His contract expires in June and the decision would undoubtedly make the teenager feel valued by his manager.

Forson has made three senior appearances this term – two in the FA Cup and one in the league – and received plaudits when he assisted Kobbie Mainoo's scintillating last-gasp winner at the Molineux earlier this month.

Predicted XI to face Cottagers
Alas, here's how we think the Reds will shape up.

Onana;

Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Lindelof;

Casemiro, Mainoo;

Garnacho, Fernandes (C), Rashford;

Forson

https://strettynews.com/2024/02/23/predicted-manchester-united-line-up-for-fulham-clash-with-youngster-tipped-for-first-ever-premier-league-start/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Rodrigo Muniz, Andreas Pereira 'in contention for Brazil call-ups'
Fulham duo Rodrigo Muniz and Andreas Pereira are reportedly in contention to be called up by Brazil boss Dorival Junior.

The 61-year-old is set to announce his first Brazil squad next week after being appointed as the national team head coach last month.

The five-time World Cup winners will face England at Wembley on March 23, before they go up against Spain at the Santiago Bernabeu, three days later.

Junior has already confirmed that he will be unable to call upon the injured quartet of Al-Hilal's Neymar, Liverpool's Alisson Becker, Brighton & Hove Albion's Joao Pedro and Wolverhampton Wanderers' Matheus Cunha.

With the Brazil boss currently weighing up his options, the Evening Standard are reporting that Muniz and Pereira are being considered for the two friendly fixtures.

The report claims that Junior visited Fulham's training ground on Thursday to observe the session and hold discussions with Muniz and Pereira.

Muniz is currently enjoying a fine run of form after scoring four goals in Fulham's last three Premier League matches.

Those efforts have helped Muniz retain his place in the side ahead of Armando Broja, who arrived on loan from Chelsea on the final day of the winter transfer window.

The 22-year-old is still waiting for his first call-up, having never previously played international football at any level.

Meanwhile, Pereira has been a regular fixture in the Fulham midfield this season, having started 22 of the club's 25 Premier League matches.

In total, the former Manchester United man has made 32 competitive appearances during the current campaign, chipping in with one goal and seven assists.

Pereira has earned just one senior for Brazil, with his international debut taking place in a friendly against El Salvador in December 2018.

Muniz and Pereira are both expected to be in the Fulham lineup for Saturday's meeting with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/fulhams-muniz-pereira-in-contention-for-brazil-call-ups_537471.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Ten Hag must unleash Man Utd's "super talented" gem to ease Shaw blow
Ten Hag will be without Hojlund and Shaw against Fulham.

This afternoon, Manchester United will look to beat Fulham for the fifth time in a row.

Bruno Fernandes has been Erik ten Hag's hero in this fixture since the manager's arrival, scoring four goals in four games against Marco Silva's side.

The Red Devils' captain will lead his side tomorrow, but one player who will not feature at all is Luke Shaw, who is set to miss almost all of the season from this point on due to a leg injury.

With Tyrell Malacia still out injured - and with Sergio Reguilon having departed the club in January following his brief loan spell - United have no left back available in the squad, which may lead to the former Ajax boss being slightly creative with his back four.

The ways Man Utd could replace Luke Shaw
When Shaw was replaced at half-time against Aston Villa and moments before the break versus Luton Town, Ten Hag called upon Victor Lindelof to fill in at an unnatural left-back role.

As a right-footed centre-half who isn't blessed with speed, athleticism, or physicality, this has the potential to be taken advantage of by Fulham on Saturday, just like the Hatters did at the weekend.

During the second period, the Swedish defender was exposed both off the ball and on it, as highlighted by his 50% pass accuracy, zero duels won, and his yellow card for a rash challenge.

The passing aspect is a huge concern because Lindelof always looks to come inside on his right foot, which makes the team extremely vulnerable to the press.

However, there is a player who has been dubbed "super talented" by journalist Julien Laurens who could come into the side and not only fix the left-back issue but also be an upgrade on Lindelof at the same time.

The reasons why Willy Kambwala should start v Fulham
19-year-old Willy Kambwala has already been handed some first-team action this season by Ten Hag, with the French defender making four appearances across all competitions.

The highly-rated gem is a centre-back by trade, but in his last two outings he has been subbed on as a right-back and quietly impressed despite going under the radar slightly.

In just eight minutes against Newport County in the FA Cup, Kambwala showed his excellent defensive ability, physicality, and dominance, making two clearances, one tackle, and winning five of his six duels, including all four of his aerial battles.

The United academy star has also already made his first Premier League start in the 2-0 away loss to West Ham United, but his showing was impressive for someone of his experience, and an away day to the Hammers is never an easy trip.

However, during that match, he did show another side of his game, which would make him suited to the right-back role this weekend, with his confidence on the ball standing out as well as his ball retention. The table below shows his key stats from that match.

Kambwala's inclusion in the starting XI would see the usual right-back, Diogo Dalot, move to left-back, with the Portugal international having regularly lined up in that role under Ten Hag's watch.

In truth, neither Lindelof nor Kambwala are the answer to Ten Hag's Shaw dilemma in the long-term, but the young prospect is perhaps far more suited to lining up at full-back than the experienced Swede.

https://www.footballfancast.com/ten-hag-must-unleash-man-utds-super-talented-willy-kambwala-to-ease-shaw-blow/

WhiteJC

Manchester United vs Fulham tactical preview: Three battles that will decide the game
Manchester United host Fulham at Old Trafford aiming to keep their winning streak alive as they make a late dash for the UEFA Champions League places.

The current streak stands at four games and with a clash away to Nottingham Forest next in the FA Cup, they can extend it to six before a marquee game away to Manchester City.

However, the immediate thoughts are on the next game as Fulham pose a unique threat due to their multi-dimensional attack and transition supremacy.

Here are the three battles that will decide the fate of the game-

Andreas Pereira vs Casemiro
Casemiro endured a torrid time against Luton Town as the quick and pacy attackers repeatedly bypassed him. He was hooked at half-time as the game flew by his ageing legs. It was the first concrete scenario where he looked a step slower than the game.

Against Fulham, the pacy attackers won't be as big a threat, but he will need to rein in his foul-happy ways to ensure United avoid a sucker punch by the former Red Devil in Andreas Pereira.

The Brazilian is no longer the player who was ridiculed at Old Trafford. He has developed into the creative hub of Fulham, especially due to his mastery of set pieces. United struggle to defend set-pieces with conviction, Casemiro fouls a lot, and Pereira is a menace from set-pieces.

This will go disastrously if at least one of these three things doesn't change. One is not in United's hands (Pereira's mastery), and the other won't change overnight (set-piece defending), thereby leaving Casemiro to adapt for this one.

Joao Palhinha vs Bruno Fernandes
Just like it's the battle of the Brazilians in Pereira vs Casemiro at Fulham's attacking end, it's the clash of the Portuguese at United's.

Palhinha has shrugged off his failed Bayern Munich move in the summer to return to his combative best this season. He is almost a one-man wall in front of the defence, sweeping up everything, tackling hard, and being a general nuisance by closing down space between the lines.

That is precisely the kind of defensive midfielder who can frustrate Fernandes, causing him to rush the play and cede possession.

United have to stop making their games like basketball, end-to-end, and Fernandes is a big reason why that keeps happening. Getting around Palhinha and pulling him away from the heat of the action is a crucial part of making that happen, which will be up to Fernandes.

Omari Forson vs Fulham's left wing
This is, of course, based on recent reports that the United youngster could be set for his first Premier League start due to Rasmus Hojlund's absence.

Forson has long been dubbed as the next candidate to make the jump to the first team and the pressure will be on him from the off because if he plays on the right, he will be up against Fulham's best.

Antonee Robinson and the wily veteran Willian will make it a point to test him repeatedly by pushing forward and testing his commitment to his defensive duties. Forson will be helped by the fact that Diogo Dalot is in the best form of his career but he can't let the Portuguese get overloaded on that side.

To balance his defensive duties with contribution in attack will be a tall task for the youngster. If he has a star-making game, it could be the start of another brilliant career after Kobbie Mainoo. Sink or swim time.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2024/02/24/manchester-united-vs-fulham-tactical-preview-three-battles-that-will-decide-the-game-276505/

WhiteJC

Joao Palhinha: Door open for Liverpool to sign Fulham ace after 'huge' claim
Liverpool and Arsenal are among the clubs to receive a boost in their pursuit of Fulham star Joao Palhinha, sources have told Football Insider.

The Cottagers have opened the door to allowing the 28-year-old to depart in the summer window following vice-chairman Tony Khan's recent comments.

Khan confirmed the club will "have to consider" sensible offers for Palhinha and admitted there is a "huge market" for their star midfielder.

That is despite him signing a fresh contract running until June 2028 in September – with Fulham holding the option for a further 12 months.

Football Insider revealed in December 2023 that the Cottagers were set to demand around £50-60million for Palhinha amid background interest from the likes of Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Fulham chief hands Liverpool and Arsenal a big Palhinha boost ahead of the summer window
No club firmed up their interest in a low-key January window but it is believed he will be in demand over the off-season.

Palhinha has made 28 appearances across all competitions this season, notching three goals and one assist.

He led the Premier League for tackles and interceptions last term and is on course to repeat that feat once again in 2023-24 with Fulham in no real relegation danger.

The Portugal international joined Fulham from Sporting CP reported fee of just £20million in 2022 – meaning the Londoners stand to make a big profit on the midfielder in the coming years.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/joao-palhinha-door-open-for-liverpool-to-sign-fulham-ace-after-huge-claim/

WhiteJC

Three questions that Manchester United fans will be pondering before welcoming Fulham to Old Trafford
Manchester United take on Fulham at Old Trafford this afternoon, looking to extend their unbeaten record and go level on points with Tottenham in fifth place.

The Red Devils last played at their home stadium three weeks ago, so they will be hoping some familiar scenery will help the team get over the line and take the three points to ramp up the pressure on both Spurs and Aston Villa.

Fulham for their part, have not been as consistent as last year, where they finished 10th and amassed 52 points.

This season they sit 12th but six points off 11th and closer to the lower reaches of the league.

Both sides will be desperate for the three points and here are the main issues that fans are discussing ahead of the game.

How will United cope without Rasmus Hojlund?
United have won a few on the trot recently and a big reason behind that has been the red-hot form of Rasmus Hojlund. Unfortunately, Erik ten Hag confirmed yesterday that the Dane has picked up an injury and will be out of action for up to three weeks.

Hojlund's form has also benefitted the rest of the side as "they have scored 17 goals in their last seven league fixtures, having scored just 18 in their previous 18".

With Anthony Martial also sidelined for the foreseeable future, Marcus Rashford seems like the only choice to play through the middle. The English forward has struggled for form and goals this season, so asking him to play in a position he has never really enjoyed, is hardly a recipe for success.

Moreover, if Rashford leaves the left wing, Garnacho will likely have to step back over to the right, which mean Ten Hag will probably opt to select Antony on the right, which brings its own set of problems.

Amad Diallo and Omari Forson represent alternatives to Antony and could also play up front, leaving Rashford in his preferred position on the left. Our straw poll of United fans would much rather see this option than the return of number 21. However, Ten Hag is not expected to oblige them ...

Can Antony return to some form on his birthday?
The much-maligned Brazilian winger turns 24 today but it is unlikely to be a source of celebration among United fans. The former Ajax man has little support due to his domestic abuse charges and also his poor form, where he remains without a goal or an assist in his 19 league matches this season.

The winger has been a sporadic figure in the United team as of late, with Alejandro Garnacho locking down the right side as his own.

Antony's season so far can be crudely summed up as a mix of inefficient wing play and countless failed efforts at cutting in and ballooning the ball over the crossbar. If he is tasked with playing today, United fans will be hoping at last he can break his rancid streak in the Premier League, where he has not scored since April 2023 against Nottingham Forest.

Can United keep up their great home record versus Fulham?
The Red Devils have certainly had the Cottagers' number of late, as they have dominated their opponents at the Theatre of Dreams.

According to The BBC, Fulham's solitary victory in their past 16 league visits to Old Trafford was by 3-1 in 2003.

In addition, Manchester United are unbeaten in 16 Premier League games against Fulham since a 3-0 away defeat in 2009.

However, many of those games of late have been hard-fought victories, such as the two late winners United needed at Craven Cottage, first from Alejandro Garnacho in November 2022 and Bruno Fernandes earlier this season in the same month.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2024/02/24/three-questions-that-manchester-united-fans-will-be-pondering-before-welcoming-fulham-to-old-trafford-276511/

WhiteJC

Erik ten Hag set for reunion with ex-Man Utd star who deliberately avoided him
Manchester United face off with Fulham on Saturday and a blast from their past on the opposition as former midfielder Andreas Pereira lines up for the Cottagers

Big things were expected of Andreas Pereira at Manchester United, particularly when he scored the club's goal of the season in the 2018-19 campaign.

A stunning, unstoppable right-foot shot from 25 yards out set United on their way to a 3-2 comeback win against Southampton in March 2019 and underlined Pereira's huge potential. But when Pereira walks out at Old Trafford on Saturday, it will be in the white of the opposition Fulham, rather than the iconic red of United, a club where he seemed destined to be a major star, before fate decreed otherwise.

That 2018-19 season proved Pereira's breakthrough one at United, the attacking midfielder making 22 appearances in all competitions after loan spells in Spain with Granada and Valencia. Having joined United in 2012 from PSV Eindhoven, Pereira looked to have finally cemented his status as a first-team player, after developing and gaining experience in La Liga.

Recognition of his progress came with the award of a new four-year contract in the summer of 2019, with Pereira starting United's opening game of the season, a 4-0 win over Chelsea. That Covid-interrupted season, Pereira made 18 Premier League starts for United, but became marginalised midway through, the arrival of Bruno Fernandes in January 2020 pushing him out of the picture.

In fact, after Fernandes made his debut on February 1st 2020, in a goalless draw at home to Wolves, Pereira did not make another Premier League start for United. Out of favour again, Pereira went out on loan again in October 2020, a spell in Italy with Lazio followed by a stint with Flamengo in Brazil, his burgeoning United career suddenly feeling like a trick of the mind.

When he returned to United in the summer of 2022, Pereira had made his mind up to leave on a permanent basis and admitted he went out of his way to avoid newly-appointed boss Erik ten Hag. Pereira did not want Ten Hag to convince him to stay, only to find himself surplus to requirements again, so deliberately steered clear of the new man in charge.

"I didn't speak with Ten Hag," recalled Pereira. "I know him because I worked with him at PSV but I was determined in my head and maybe if I spoke with the manager again I would stay. In my head I was thinking 'I need to go, I need to feel confident and play' and that's what I did.

"At United I had a lot of memories. I arrived when I was 16, it was an amazing ride, but I got to the stage where I thought maybe it was best not to stay. I wanted to feel more loved and I wanted to play every game. What Fulham offered me, it was the perfect opportunity."

Pereira, now 28, has certainly earned the regular playing time he craved at United, having started 22 of Fulham's 25 Premier League games this season, coming off the bench to be involved in the other three.

The switch to Fulham has been vindicated. In his first season, Pereira scored five goals as Marco Silva's side finished 10 th , and while this season he only has a solitary strike, the Brazilian has established himself as a key player for Fulham, something he never managed to do at United.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-fulham-andreas-pereira-32185787

WhiteJC

Manchester United vs. Fulham: Live Stream, Time, & How to Watch The Match Online
United return home, with more injuries

Manchester United return to Old Trafford action on Saturday afternoon, when we host Fulham in our last Premier League outing of February.

The Reds are looking to complete a perfect month in the division, after seeing off Wolverhampton Wanderers, West Ham United, Aston Villa and, most recently, Luton Town, ahead of the Emirates FA Cup fifth-round visit to Nottingham Forest on 28 February.

Our visitors will be hoping to halt a sequence of 18 games without victory in this fixture, having pushed the Reds close in several recent meetings.

FORM GUIDE
United are looking to record five successive top-flight victories for the first time since January last year, while a goal for Rasmus Hojlund would make him only the second Red, after Ruud van Nistelrooy, to net in their seven straight Premier League games.

This is just our third home outing since Boxing Day, with a 2-2 draw against Tottenham in January being followed by a 3-0 success over West Ham at the beginning of this month.

The Cottagers have won just one of their five outings since the memorable victory over Arsenal on New Year's Eve. A narrow defeat to local rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge was followed up by draws with Everton and Burnley, with the Clarets recovering from two goals down to equalise late on.

A brace by Rodrigo Muniz helped Silva's side impressively beat Bournemouth in London, before Aston Villa took home all three points from the Cottage on Saturday – Unai Emery's men were only the second team to win at Fulham's home since United did so in early November.

RECENT MEETINGS
Bruno Fernandes's stoppage-time strike settled the reverse fixture in west London, 12 months on from Alejandro Garnacho similarly winning a game late on for United at Craven Cottage.

The Reds also defeated Fulham twice at Old Trafford last term, dramatically doing so in an FA Cup quarter-final from 1-0 down. With 20 minutes to play, Willian, Mitrovic and Silva himself were all given their marching orders by referee Chris Kavanagh and United eventually won 3-1, courtesy of Marcel Sabitzer's flick and a Bruno Fernandes brace.

We were also triumphant on the last day of the league season, again coming from behind, this time to prevail 2-1, with Bruno again on the scoresheet, alongside Jadon Sancho.

OUR OPPONENTS
The Cottagers sit 12th in the Premier League, two places below the position they finished last term in their first season back since promotion.

Marco Silva's men have been up and down in terms of form, with back-to-back 5-0 wins over Nottingham Forest and West Ham United in December, and the victory over title-chasing Arsenal later that month, being the undoubted highlights.

Each of those successes came on the banks of the River Thames and Fulham have generally been good on their own patch, claiming 22 of their 29 points there. However, the capital club haven't won away from home since the opening day at Everton, a run of 11 games.

The summer departure of Aleksandar Mitrovic means the goals have been spread around in the league, with Bobby Decordova-Reid, Willian and Jimenez each netting five times. The suspended Palhinha is the league's top tackler, managing 105 so far, while left-back Anthonee Robinson has the most interceptions (63).

United have been dealt a double injury blow this week as both Hojlund and Luke Shaw have been ruled out with muscle injuries; the former is set to miss the next "two to three weeks" while the latter is facing "a few months" on the sidelines.

The Red Devils will also have to cope without Aaron Wan-Bissaka (unspecified), Lisandro Martinez, Tyrell Malacia (both knee), Anthony Martial (groin) and Mason Mount (calf) as they continue to recover from long-term injuries.

Victor Lindelof is the most likely candidate to replace Shaw at left-back, although Sofyan Amrabat is also an option having previously played on the left side of defense earlier this season, while Diogo Dalot, Raphael Varane and Harry Maguire are expected to complete the back four.

The absence of Hojlund will likely see Marcus Rashford deployed as a central striker, with Alejandro Garnacho moved over to the left flank and Antony recalled to start on the right wing.

Premier League schedule
It's a 3:00 PM kickoff in the UK, which means 10:00 AM on the east coast of the U.S.

Premier League channel
Those Stateside can watch on Peacock. If you're in Canada, you can stream the game through FuboTV.

Everyone else, head on over to LiveSoccerTV to find your viewing options.

Lineups
Manchester United possible starting lineup: Onana; Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Lindelof; Casemiro, Mainoo; Antony, Fernandes, Garnacho; Rashford

https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2024/2/24/24081104/manchester-united-vs-fulham-live-stream-time-how-to-watch-the-match-online

WhiteJC

'He's been brilliant': Merson jumps the gun with United vs Fulham prediction by expecting goals from in-form trio
Paul Merson is expecting Manchester United to win in this afternoon's Premier League clash with Fulham as well as keep a clean sheet on home turf.

The former Arsenal man did, however, make his prediction prior to the news of Rasmus Hojlund's injury setback, and it's the Red Devils' front three that made him so confident in anticipating goals for Erik ten Hag's men.

It was confirmed on Friday that the young Dane had sustained a calf complaint and would be ruled out for around two to three weeks, coming as a gutting blow given his prolific run of form that's seen him net seven times in six straight matches – four of which have been wins.

Marcus Rashford is able to transition to a central role – away from his usual comforts on the left flank – while Alejandro Garnacho could be deployed on either wing, though his best performances in recent weeks have come on the right.

Laurie Whitwell claims that 19-year-old Omari Forson is in line to make his first-ever Premier League start, which would see the two wingers retain their places and the youngster fill Hojlund's void.

Merson's United vs Fulham prediction
"Manchester United seem to keep winning all the time now," Merson began in his SportsKeeda column. "They weren't the better team against Aston Villa, but they pulled it off. Luton were dominating them at one point, but I can't remember [Andre] Onana making a single save.

"Manchester United are going to score goals in this game, and Fulham will need to score as well if they want to get a result. Man United have a set front three now, and they're performing consistently for Ten Hag.

"I like Rasmus Hojlund, and I think he's going to be a superstar. He was injured when he arrived at the club, but you can now see that he's fit and settled. He's only 21 years old, and he's been brilliant for United. Fulham have picked up only seven points from their travels so far, and have been poor away from home. I can only see a Man United win in this fixture, and that would put them right into the top-four race."

He's gone for United 3-0 Fulham.

https://strettynews.com/2024/02/24/hes-been-brilliant-merson-jumps-the-gun-with-united-vs-fulham-prediction-by-expecting-goals-from-in-form-trio/

WhiteJC

Sutton details 'dangerous' United vs Fulham prediction and relays one stat that Erik ten Hag will have in mind
Chris Sutton expects Manchester United to claim their fifth successive Premier League win when they take on Fulham this afternoon.

The Red Devils have momentum on their side heading into today's fixture, although they have been rocked with injury setbacks to key men Luke Shaw and Rasmus Hojlund in the past few days, with the latter's six-game scoring streak being put on hold for around two to three weeks.

Alas, it's down to a somewhat injury-stricken United squad to try and get a job done again as they look to close the gap on the top four and throw themselves into the running for a Champions League spot. Erik ten Hag and co will be keeping tabs on how Aston Villa fare against Nottingham Forest – also kicking off at 3pm – given that five points separate the European football-chasing sides.

Tottenham Hotspur currently occupy fifth place and United could go level with them on points with a victory today, however, the North London outfit will have a game in hand as Sunday's Carabao Cup final means their clash with Chelsea has been postponed.

Sutton's expectations for United vs Fulham
"Manchester United keep on winning – Sunday's success at Luton was their fifth in a row in all competitions – and I'm pleased to see Rasmus Hojlund has carried on scoring too," Sutton began via BBC Sport. "Fulham were very unlucky to lose to United at Craven Cottage in November, but their away form is not the best. They have only won once away in the league all season, against Everton on the opening weekend.

"I like Rasmus Hojlund, and I think he's going to be a superstar. He was injured when he arrived at the club, but you can now see that he's fit and settled. He's only 21 years old, and he's been brilliant for United. Fulham have picked up only seven points from their travels so far, and have been poor away from home. I can only see a Man United win in this fixture, and that would put them right into the top-four race."

His prediction: United 2-1 Fulham.

https://strettynews.com/2024/02/24/sutton-details-dangerous-united-vs-fulham-prediction-and-relays-one-stat-that-erik-ten-hag-will-have-in-mind/

WhiteJC

Rashford Up Front: 4-2-3-1 Manchester United Predicted XI vs Fulham
Manchester United welcome Fulham to Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon, hoping to extend their four-game winning run in the Premier League.

An early Rasmus Hojlund brace helped the Red Devils register a 2-1 win over Luton Town at Kenilworth Road in the Premier League on Sunday, making it seven games unbeaten in all competitions in 2024. They finished the weekend sixth in the table, with three points separating them from fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur.

Erik ten Hag's men have started to turn a corner and will be favourites on paper against Fulham, who suffered a 1-2 home defeat to Aston Villa last time out.

Manchester United Team News
Manchester United will be without Rasmus Hojlund and Luke Shaw for the meeting with Fulham at Old Trafford. Hojlund was added to the list of injured players on Friday, with the Danish striker set to miss two to three weeks due to a small injury. Shaw was forced off in the first half of the 2-1 win over Luton Town with a muscle injury, ruling him out for several months as a result.

Meanwhile, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Mason Mount and Tyrell Malacia remain on the sidelines, while Lisandro Martinez is not expected to return until April.

Predicted Man United lineup vs Fulham (4-2-3-1)

Goalkeeper
Andre Onana has shown an improvement in form since the turn of the year, but having kept just one clean sheet in the last five league games, he will be desperate to shut up shop as quickly as possible against Fulham.

Defence
Victor Lindelof replaced Luke Shaw at half-time for the second weekend running and it looks likely the Swede will start at left-back this time around. Diogo Dalot is an easy pick at right-back, with Raphael Varane partnering Harry Maguire in central defence in the Man United lineup.

Maguire and Varane must be at their best to keep the in-form Fulham striker Rodrigo Muniz at bay on Saturday.

Midfield
Casemiro was hooked at half-time to avoid a second yellow card in the 2-1 win at Luton but he is certain to start alongside youngster Kobbie Mainoo in the double pivot in the Man United lineup. The duo has been fundamental in helping the Red Devils stay unbeaten in 2024, and Erik ten Hag is unlikely to disrupt the midfield pairing's growing understanding.

Bruno Fernandes' form has dipped in recent months, yet he is the skipper of the team and remains an undisputed starter in the No.10 role.

Christian Eriksen, Sofyan Amrabat and Scott McTominay will again retain their spots on the bench.

Attack
Rasmus Hojlund's injury is a big blow to the hosts owing to his hot form in front of goal.

Ten Hag is likely to deploy Marcus Rashford as a No.9 against Fulham in the Man United lineup. Alejandro Garnacho could move to the left flank, opening Antony's door for a recall to the starting XI on the right.

There is a buzz that young Omari Forson could be handed a start but we are expecting Antony to prove his naysayers wrong today.

Antony and Garnacho will be looking to cause problems for the Fulham full-backs and provide service to Rashford in the box. If Man United require fresh legs, Ten Hag could introduce the likes of McTominay, Sofyan Amrabat and Forson off the bench.

https://madaboutepl.net/2024/02/predicted-man-united-lineup-vs-fulham-2023-24/

WhiteJC

Phil McNulty reacts to another "real blow" for Man Utd before Fulham
It's gone from bad to worse for Erik ten Hag.

It's been a rather brutal month or so on the injury front for Erik ten Hag and Manchester United. First, centre-back Lisandro Martinez suffered a devastating setback in the form of a "serious" knee injury that will rule him out until April.

Elsewhere, right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka was on the comeback trail but then had to be taken out of training after encountering an issue and, this week, it emerged that left-back Luke Shaw is facing "a few months" out with a muscular problem in more "bad news".

It hasn't stopped there, with United confirming on Friday that striker Rasmus Hojlund is expected to be out for two to three weeks after picking up a muscle injury of his own.

Hojlund injury a "real blow" to Man Utd
BBC Sport's Phil McNulty has offered his reaction to the news, sharing a post from United's official X/Twitter page, noting that it comes at a particularly bad time given the player's recent momentum.

Red-hot Hojlund will miss Manchester derby
It's no exaggeration to say that Hojlund has been one of the best players in the Premier League this calendar year. After failing to score at all in the competition until Boxing Day, he'd found the net in each of his last six appearances - a feat only Eric Cantona (1995/96), Ruud van Nistelrooy (three times) and Cristiano Ronaldo (07/08) had previously managed for the Red Devils - and bagged his first top-flight brace in the 2-1 win over Luton Town last time out. Overall, the Dane was on an explosive run of eight in eight in all competitions.

No Premier League player has been directly involved in more goals since the turn of the year than his eight, but as you can see in the table below, he'll miss the next three games in the division.

The one that stands out here, of course, is the Manchester derby a week on Sunday, a game for which United probably felt increasingly confident after a five-match winning run in all competitions. While Ten Hag's side can realistically afford to lose at the Etihad in their push for Champions League qualification, they need to be picking up maximum points against 12th-place Fulham and 17th-place Everton to make up for it. In the absence of Hojlund, Marcus Rashford will simply have to step up, but he's only scored five times this season.

https://www.footballfancast.com/man-utd-injury-news-phil-mcnulty-reacts-to-rasmus-hojlund-blow-fulham/

WhiteJC

Birmingham City must keep Notts County star on radar amid Hogan and Stansfield situation: View
Macaulay Langstaff was linked with a move away from Notts County in January

Stansfield has been key to Birmingham City's resurgence, but Langstaff could be a potential replacement with his impressive goal-scoring record.
    Langstaff's rise from non-league to the Football League has caught the eye of Championship clubs, making him a valuable target for Blues.
    Birmingham City could benefit from Langstaff's goal-scoring prowess, especially with other strikers potentially leaving in the summer.

Birmingham City have enjoyed life under Tony Mowbray since his arrival at St. Andrew's, slowly moving away from the relegation zone after Wayne Rooney's underwhelming tenure in the West Midlands.

Blues have relied heavily on on-loan Fulham striker Jay Stansfield and his goals to propel them up the Championship table, with his influence on the side seemingly crucial for the remainder of the campaign.

But with the 21-year-old's loan deal only until the end of the season, attention may quickly be turning to potential replacements in the summer, with both Scott Hogan and Lukas Jutkiewicz out of contract in June.

Macaulay Langstaff's statistics so far
It's been quite the start to Macaulay Langstaff's maiden season in the Football League, continuing his goal-scoring exploits from his record-breaking National League season with the Magpies last term.

The Stockton-born striker signed from Gateshead in the summer of 2022 for around £50,000 after scoring 30 goals in 42 in all competitions for Mike Williamson's side, with many unsure if Langstaff would be able to make the move up in standard the following season.

But stepped up he did, as he became a huge part in Luke Williams' side's titanic battle with Wrexham to secure that one coveted automatic promotion spot from the fifth tier, amassing 41 goals in 47 appearances, with no penalties, eventually securing the Magpies' promotion at Wembley in their shootout win over Chesterfield.

Along the way, Langstaff became the first player to win the National League's Player of the Month in consecutive months and set a new Notts County club record, and the National League division record, for league goals in a season.

The same questions were asked about the step up in quality as his first season as a Football League player beckoned, but once again, those questions were answered, and in some style too, resulting in interest from the Championship to acquire the player that was previously known as 'the non-league Haaland'.

Blues should return to Macaulay Langstaff following January interest
Stansfield's form in the first half of the season not only impressed Birmingham City fans, but also sides within the division looking for a return to the Premier League.

Despite his loan being until the end of the season, it was reported that Ipswich Town were interested in adding the striker to their already impressive attacking options, while Mowbray's former side Sunderland, were also keen to secure Stansfield's signature, according to Sky Sports' Keith Downie.

With the threat of losing the 21-year-old striker to teams placed higher in the division, Blues were said to have an interest in Notts County striker, Langstaff, with Derby County and Wrexham also interested in the Magpies number nine.

However, it was confirmed by BirminghamLive's Alex Dicken that the move was a non-starter in January, confirming the interest was just a rumour.

But that should not deter any potential interest in the future, with Langstaff proving his goal-scoring prowess in his quite extraordinary rise from non-league.

He is a potent goalscorer that comes alive inside the penalty area, something Blues are seriously lacking from this season's evidence, and they could be able to take him away from Meadow Lane for a fair price in the summer if his form continues.

Having signed a contract extension with the club that will keep him in the East Midlands until the 2026/27 season, but according to HITC, Notts have placed a £1.5 million valuation on the striker, which would be an affordable, yet shrewd piece of business for the Blues to explore in the summer, especially with Hogan and Jutkiewicz out of contract in June.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/birmingham-city-must-keep-notts-county-star-on-radar-amid-hogan-and-stansfield-situation-view/

WhiteJC

Who is Omari Forson? Meet Man Utd wonderkid starting vs Fulham after Hojlund injury
Manchester United starlet Omari Forson could be the latest academy product promoted by Erik ten Hag.

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is expected to field teenage attacker Omari Forson as part of a front-three alongside Marcus Rashford and Alejandro Garnacho against Fulham today (Saturday), with in-form Rasmus Hojlund out injured. Here, Express Sport delves deeper into the story of United's highly-rated academy product set to be given a shot at the big time...

It is not clear exactly where in the front-three Forson will line up, but his prowess in the youth ranks has been built on exciting performances out wide or as an attacking midfielder.

The 19-year-old doesn't fit into the traditional winger mould of staying out wide with chalk on his boots, but rather looks to drift inside and knit together combinations with team-mates using his technical gifts.

As Forson transitions out of academy football and towards the senior ranks, The Athletic claim that Ten Hag and his coaching staff have noted an improvement in his physical power and athleticism over the past few months.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1870329/omari-forson-man-utd-fulham-rasmus-hojlund

WhiteJC

'They were important before AFCON' - Fulham boss confirms Iwobi, Bassey will be involved v Man Utd
Speaking to reporters at his pre-match press conference, Fulham manager Marco Silva confirmed that Super Eagles stars Alex Iwobi and Calvin Bassey will be involved in come capacity on Saturday afternoon when his side face off with an in-form Manchester United side at Old Trafford.

Iwobi and Bassey headed straight to Fulham's training ground shortly after landing in the English capital, London following their commitments with the Nigeria team at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

The versatile midfielder played the entirety of the second half as the Cottagers were beaten 2-1 by Unai Emery's Aston Villa last weekend, while the central defender entered the game as a substitute in the closing minutes.

Silva noted that Iwobi and Bassey are not lacking match fitness having played in every single game contested by the Super Eagles at the Africa Cup of Nations and emphasized that the Super Eagles duo remain key players for the team.

When questioned about his decision to start the Nigerians on the bench against Aston Villa and whether it was a matter of providing them with additional rest, Silva replied: "Calvin and Alex it's not that they were not playing, they need time just to breathe a little bit.

"Alex played for 45 minutes, Calvin came in second half as well and now they are more than ready to start if I'm going to decide in this way.

"They are really important players for us but you know it's completely different, the weather was different, the load of the games was there.

"They played the final and it was a really intense final for them and when they lost the final we decided for them to come as quick as they can, to start recovery so that they can be ready for the game against Aston Villa and now they have a normal week.

"They are going to be involved again in the solutions for the match and that's what is going to be my decision but they are really important for us definitely.

"Before the African Cup, they were important, Alex scoring important goals and assisting; Calvin being really solid at the back as well. They are really important for us."

Summer signings Iwobi and Bassey have started twelve Premier League games each for the Cottagers who sit 12th in the standings ahead of the fixture with Erik ten Hag's Manchester United.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=50577

WhiteJC

Ten Hag could finally replace Casemiro with Man Utd's "genius"
Erik Ten Hag could look to drop Casemiro for his midfield "genius" for the Fulham clash.

Manchester United have had something of an unpredictable season throughout the 2023/24 campaign thus far. The Red Devils currently find themselves in sixth position in the Premier League table.

At this moment in time, they also find themselves in a good run of form after winning four of their last five top-flight games.

Erik ten Hag's men are currently sat on 44 points and will be looking at trying to break into the top four spots by the end of the season. In order to do this, they will need to find five points on Aston Villa from somewhere as Unai Emery's men currently occupy fourth place.

The first step in their crusade for Champions League qualification will be their upcoming clash against Fulham. The Cottagers are in the bottom half of the table and haven't been in the best of form this season.

So, there is no doubt that United should come out of the other side of the game victorious. However, in regard to the way they'll line up, that remains a mystery, particularly with the likes of Rasmus Hojlund and Luke Shaw set to be absent.

One player from the Red Devils' squad who could be left out of the starting XI - not because of an injury issue - is that of Casemiro, with the Brazilian having proven something of a liability of late.

Casemiro's recent performances
Casemiro joined United from Real Madrid in 2022 for a fee worth a reported £70m. Since arriving in Manchester, his form has certainly varied, with it hard to ascertain whether he should remain at the club beyond the end of the season.

For example, in the team's latest clash against Luton Town, in which United won 2-1, the Brazil international was withdrawn at half-time after picking up an early yellow card.

As per Sofascore, against the Hatters, the 32-year-old only managed to win two duels out of nine attempted and even lost possession seven times. When these statistics are compared to Kobbie Mainoo's, it puts into perspective how poorly the more experienced asset played.

Throughout the game, Mainoo, by contrast, won a total of six duels out of 15 attempted and lost possession of the ball the same number of times. However, it does need to be taken into account that the youngster played an additional 45 minutes compared to his Brazilian counterpart.

After Casemiro was taken off the pitch on Sunday, Scott McTominay replaced him. After entering the pitch, the Scotland international managed to outperform the 6 foot anchor on all accounts, notably winning more duels (four) and only losing possession a total of four times during his 45 minutes on the pitch.

However, although the United academy graduate is a valid option to replace the Brazil international, across the season he has shown that he is more of an impact sub rather than a starter.

The midfielder has started a fair few games for the Red Devils this season, but, no player has scored more goals than him off the bench (4.) This outlines how important he is in the latter stages of the game and highlights why Ten Hag would be better off unleashing him late on - or perhaps deploying him further forward in the absence of Hojlund.

This begs the question, if Casemiro is getting dropped and McTominay isn't replacing him, who could?

Why Christian Eriksen is the ideal replacement for Casemiro
Described as an "absolute genius" by Statman Dave, Christian Eriksen's style of play is exactly what United need to shore up the centre of the park.

Although the Denmark international has not yet set the footballing world alight following his move to Ten Hag's side, it is hard to say he hasn't made an impact.

Across all competitions this season, the Dane has made a total of 19 appearances and has managed to contribute one goal and two assists, having previously provided 12 goal involvements in 44 games in 2022/23.

Despite being deployed in more advanced roles this season - while also failing to feature in the last four league outings - Eriksen could offer a more controlled presence ahead of Casemiro due to his range of passing, as he ranks in the top 14% among his European peers for progressive passes per 90.

With United on home turf, and with the youthful presence of Mainoo alongside him, the former Tottenham Hotspur man could be afforded the time and space to dictate the game, with United notably needing greater control after remarkably enjoying less possession than their hosts last weekend.

It would also allow Ten Hag to change tactical styles in-game if and when needed. For example, if they're seeking a goal, the Dutch tactician could push Eriksen forward and add another forward to their attack.

That tactical flexibility could prove vital as United seek to maintain their winning run, with Eriksen among what could be a handful of changes this afternoon.

https://www.footballfancast.com/ten-hag-could-drop-casemiro-for-midfield-genius-christian-eriksen-against-fulham/