more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How was that not a red for Maguire?

Started by SerbianLad, February 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

Quote from: Angus Telford on February 27, 2024, 09:50:03 AM
Quote from: SerbianLad on February 27, 2024, 08:43:44 AMIf it was a little bit higher combined with the force Maguire used, Lukic's leg would have 100% broke.

If it was a little bit higher, Maguire would have been sent off.

But it wasn't.

So he wasn't.
So you need to break someone's leg to get sent off? Watch that clip again and look at the screenshot I posted (the initial impact is a bit before that screenshot and even a little bit higher).

As I said, that was higher than Chalobah's foul vs Newcastle for example. It was a clear red.

FFC1987

Feels very much like Maguire is getting the positive treatment from some people/analysts becauses he's the england player who took a load of abuse previously so they'll let him off a bit. Was a dreadful tackle and he should of gone for it. Luckily, it didn;t impact the final result, but it could have.

Free Elvis Hammond

Nothing in the rules about the height of a challenge - it's about recklessness, excessive force, endangering an opponent, all that stuff. Weird trend that's crept in over the last few months, maybe since those controversial red cards early in the season (was it Curtis Jones vs Spurs, and another one not given around the same time?)

I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure injuries aren't just for legs

alfie

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on February 27, 2024, 10:38:20 AMNothing in the rules about the height of a challenge - it's about recklessness, excessive force, endangering an opponent, all that stuff. Weird trend that's crept in over the last few months, maybe since those controversial red cards early in the season (was it Curtis Jones vs Spurs, and another one not given around the same time?)

With regards to your weird trends creeping in, different scenario, watch game the other night, Don Goodman was commentating, a player was having his shirt pulled, Goodman said
"He had hold of the players shirt but not enough to give a foul", how much of the shirt is enough.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Motspur Park

Quote from: alfie on February 27, 2024, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on February 27, 2024, 10:38:20 AMNothing in the rules about the height of a challenge - it's about recklessness, excessive force, endangering an opponent, all that stuff. Weird trend that's crept in over the last few months, maybe since those controversial red cards early in the season (was it Curtis Jones vs Spurs, and another one not given around the same time?)

With regards to your weird trends creeping in, different scenario, watch game the other night, Don Goodman was commentating, a player was having his shirt pulled, Goodman said
"He had hold of the players shirt but not enough to give a foul", how much of the shirt is enough.
Absolutely hate how ex professionals believe they can interpret the laws of the game in a way that suits them. They should be made to sit a full refereeing course before being able to give their ridiculous opinions.

FFC1987

Quote from: Motspur Park on February 27, 2024, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: alfie on February 27, 2024, 10:51:21 AM

Absolutely hate how ex professionals believe they can interpret the laws of the game in a way that suits them. They should be made to sit a full refereeing course before being able to give their ridiculous opinions.

He's the absolute worst for it as well.

Jim©

Quote from: SerbianLad on February 27, 2024, 08:43:44 AMIf it was a little bit higher combined with the force Maguire used, Lukic's leg would have 100% broke.

But it wasn't.

So he wasn't.

Height has zero to do with the laws of the game, i don't know why that is so often repeated. It was reckless (as the ball is 2m away) and excessive force was used (straight leg is a pretty disgusting way to tackle- don't forget these are players that have such control of their feet/legs that they can pass the ball 70 yards into a 2m square area)

Yorkie_FFC

[/quote]

100% agree it should come with as part of the deal when the games are assigned to which ever broadcaster the terms of each broadcaster should be every commentator passes with 100% the Laws of the Game and if dual commentators one to have a coaching qualification. Don Goodman last played in 2003 some on Football focus/BBC are even worse, Garth Crooks last played in 1990 and many others around that era dotted about. Although some of them may do research on modern football etc they are clueless with the Laws of the Game how many still call a caution a booking (even Sky Sports graphics do) and assistant referees linesmen/linos although they have been getting better at that.

Angus Telford

Quote from: Jim© on February 27, 2024, 02:42:10 PM

But it wasn't.

So he wasn't.

Height has zero to do with the laws of the game, i don't know why that is so often repeated. It was reckless (as the ball is 2m away) and excessive force was used (straight leg is a pretty disgusting way to tackle- don't forget these are players that have such control of their feet/legs that they can pass the ball 70 yards into a 2m square area)

Ok so two clarifications that shouldn't need clarifying: firstly, legs are straight when extended or stretched, nothing reckless or unusual about that; secondly, height in this context equates to dangerousness - hence if you're Roy Keane and you want to end Alf Inge Haaland's career, you kick his knee, you don't tread on his toes with the hope of causing football's first ever career-ending metatarsal injury.

This discussion is becoming somewhat circular now so that's me out.

Eton White

Quote from: Angus Telford on February 27, 2024, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: Jim© on February 27, 2024, 02:42:10 PM

But it wasn't.

So he wasn't.

Ok so two clarifications that shouldn't need clarifying: firstly, legs are straight when extended or stretched, nothing reckless or unusual about that; secondly, height in this context equates to dangerousness - hence if you're Roy Keane and you want to end Alf Inge Haaland's career, you kick his knee, you don't tread on his toes with the hope of causing football's first ever career-ending metatarsal injury.

This discussion is becoming somewhat circular now so that's me out.

Hmm. Perhaps you should ask Gary Lineker about career ending toe injuries?