watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How was that not a red for Maguire?

Started by SerbianLad, February 24, 2024, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoppa77

Red card all day long. Surprised Lukic managed to play on. Both Darren Bent & Karen Carney agree red card.
VAR inconsistency is getting impossible to fathom & making it difficult to watch football.

FFC In Oz

Yep, it's beyond a joke.

VAR was literally brought in to turn these yellows in to reds.

Shoe on the other foot and guarantee Lukic would've been sent off

Neil D

Loved the BBC's MotD commentator Guy Mowbray - it wasn't a brutish stamp on Lukic's foot worthy of a red, it was an 'over-stretch'.  Mind you, keeping the Maguire carthorse on turned out OK as there was no way he going to catch Traore in the 97m.

btffc

I initially thought it was an orange card that VAR wouldn't have wanted to overturn the call on the pitch, but having seen a different angle now, Maguire's boot is well up on Lukic's leg and that should have been a clear red. I initially thought it was more of a stamp on his foot. VAR failing again. This should be the exact situation it exists. Referee doesn't quite see how bad it is and doesn't want to give a red that early on something he saw as in between so VAR can confirm it was indeed that bad and should call him to the monitor.

Oliver, I think, is a victim of his own success. He is England's best referee and as a result no VAR official wants to overturn him. You see it fairly regularly.

SP

Quote from: FFC In Oz on February 25, 2024, 06:47:41 AMYep, it's beyond a joke.

Shoe on the other foot and guarantee Lukic would've been sent off

Definitely this.

SP

Quote from: Neil D on February 25, 2024, 07:35:39 AMLoved the BBC's MotD commentator Guy Mowbray - it wasn't a brutish stamp on Lukic's foot worthy of a red, it was an 'over-stretch'.  Mind you, keeping the Maguire carthorse on turned out OK as there was no way he going to catch Traore in the 97m.

laughable isn't it, I remember Chalobah's over-stretch against Newcastle, VAR review & red card!

FFC1987

I'm trying to work out Richard's take on MoTD and can't find any logic to it 'yellow card for me. It was reckless but not dangerous'. I know some tried to say Rauls was of a similar vein but I can't make any of that statement work. 

SP

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2024, 08:55:25 AMI'm trying to work out Richard's take on MoTD and can't find any logic to it 'yellow card for me. It was reckless but not dangerous'. I know some tried to say Rauls was of a similar vein but I can't make any of that statement work. 

I think it's fair to say Richard's choice of professional football is no loss to the legal profession.

spoonffc

What I found most odd, is that he knew he did it, would have felt the impact of his studs on the ankle and showed zero remorse. He's a proper scumbag

bog

If Palhinha had 'committed' that tackle he would have been straight off. Big club little club as usual. We had this down the road with Gusto I think it was.

Seeing Maguire left treading deep treakle by Traore before setting up our winner made up for this.  :claping20hands:   

I like writing 'for our winner'....   

Holders

On the bright side, at least the commentators couldnt say that Fulham just won because united were down to 10.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

Quote from: MisfitKid on February 24, 2024, 05:28:27 PMIn the GDT... Manure at Manure, never a red.

Reminiscent of "Our 'Enery". - Henry Cooper describing fighting Italians in Italy; "You've got to knock them out to get a draw over there..."

The only red that Manure players see at Old Trafford is on their shirts.

FFC1987

Quote from: Holders on February 25, 2024, 09:28:35 AMOn the bright side, at least the commentators couldnt say that Fulham just won because united were down to 10.

And we were first on MoTD!!!!!!

ffcne

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 25, 2024, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: Holders on February 25, 2024, 09:28:35 AMOn the bright side, at least the commentators couldnt say that Fulham just won because united were down to 10.

And we were first on MoTD!!!!!!

Nothing to do with Fulham more the demise of United!!

alfie

Quote from: Motspur Park on February 24, 2024, 11:39:16 PMRichards is full of sh1te. How he can differentiate and justify the decisions of Man Utd and Brighto is absolutely laughable.
The only difference was Gilmour tackle hit just above the ankle, McGuires tackle was on the foot. Other than that it was the same action.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Angus Telford

Quote from: spoonffc on February 25, 2024, 09:16:29 AMWhat I found most odd, is that he knew he did it, would have felt the impact of his studs on the ankle and showed zero remorse. He's a proper scumbag

Maguire is not a scumbag, he's a decent honest player. Clashes happen, this one was clumsy but not malicious or even reckless IMO. Contact was with the top of Lukic's foot rather than his ankle or shin so I reckon a yellow was about right. I agree with others that if it had been a Fulham player doing it at OT they'd have been sent off, but that's a different issue and certainly not Maguire's fault.

deadcowboys

The oddest comment by the grinning Donkey Richards, was Maguire's foot was at ball hight so ok. The fact the ball wasn't there seemed to have escaped the moron. Still anyone who has seen him & Carragher on Celebrity Gogglebox, won't be surprised.

Eton White

Quote from: Angus Telford on February 25, 2024, 10:32:41 AM
Quote from: spoonffc on February 25, 2024, 09:16:29 AMWhat I found most odd, is that he knew he did it, would have felt the impact of his studs on the ankle and showed zero remorse. He's a proper scumbag

Maguire is not a scumbag, he's a decent honest player. Clashes happen, this one was clumsy but not malicious or even reckless IMO. Contact was with the top of Lukic's foot rather than his ankle or shin so I reckon a yellow was about right. I agree with others that if it had been a Fulham player doing it at OT they'd have been sent off, but that's a different issue and certainly not Maguire's fault.

I don't get the argument that because contact was with the foot and not the ankle or shin, it's only a yellow.

You can still break a foot.

Maguire was nowhere near the ball with his challenge and hit Lukic, studs up. Whether he connects with his foot or his ankle, it's the same difference.

SP

I get the feeling with VAR that they look for reasons why it isn't a red for the top six sides whereas they look for reasons why it is for the rest of us.

copthornemike

Anyone have a view of Casemiro's late challenge on Reed?
Uncontrolled, excessive force and reckless, but as caused by a player in a red shirt no sanction.
In many ways worse than Maguire's in my opinion.