WhiteJC

Results
Sunday 25/02
Wolves   
1-0
  Sheff Utd

WhiteJC

Fulham hero Iwobi takes subtle dig at Man United
Nigerian star Alex Iwobi took a subtle dig at Manchester United moments after sealing Fulham FC's victory on Saturday evening.

The 27-year-old playmaker's Super Eagles teammate Calvin Bassey opened the scoring in the 65th minute before Harry Maguire grabbed a late equalizing goal in the 89th minute.

However, Iwobi netted in stoppage time to seal Fulham's 2-1 win at Old Trafford in the Premier League and he revealed they remained confident they could win even after Maguire's equalizer.

"We always had the ability to create chances, we had so many in the final third," Iwobi said on the Mirror.

"It was just about taking them and luckily I was able to take mine at the end. I'm over the moon right now to come back into the team and get the win here – there is no better feeling.

"We feel we performed really well and have been performing really well recently, it is just about getting the results. This will give us a world of confidence and hopefully kick on," he continued.

"Everyone's emotion is high and we will have to dust down, but it is a confidence boost. It's a win for the memory bank."

https://africanfootball.com///africanfootball.com/news/813642/Fulham-hero-Iwobi-takes-subtle-dig-at-Man-United

WhiteJC

Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
Nigeria international Calvin Bassey netted his first goal in Fulham colours as the Londoners caused an upset by beating Manchester United 2-1 in a Premier League game at Old Trafford on Saturday evening.

By the time the central defender put the visitors 1-0 up, they could have been leading by two or three goals but Alex Iwobi missed two clear cut chances in the first half.

Bassey opened the scoring in the 65th minute when he smacked the ball home on his second attempt after a loose ball fell to him from a corner kick.

Former Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips revealed that the Cottagers were fantastic and deserved their first win at Old Trafford in twenty-one years despite missing key players like João Palhinha, Willian and Raúl Jiménez,

Reacting to Bassey's opening goal, Wright-Phillips remarked on Premier League Productions' Matchday Live Extra that it was certainly deserved.

He praised Andreas Pereira for his quality delivery and noted that when the ball returned to Bassey for the second time, the strike hit the roof of the net, adding that the Nigerian opted for pure power in that moment, which, in his view, justified the fact that Fulham were in the ascendancy at that point in the game.

Bassey, who arrived at Craven Cottage from Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam last summer, was in action for 1,456 minutes spread across twenty games in all competitions before scoring his first goal for Fulham.

With the exception of the opening game against Equatorial Guinea, the Leicester City academy product went the distance in all the matches played by the Super Eagles at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=50587

WhiteJC

Marco Silva's Fulham Clinch Historic Win Over United

Marco Silva's Fulham Triumph at Old Trafford
Fulham's Late Victory Shakes Manchester

In a match that will be etched in the annals of Premier League history, Marco Silva's Fulham clinched a heart-stopping 2-1 victory against Manchester United, a win that resonates far beyond the confines of Old Trafford. The narrative of the game was one of sheer determination, exemplified by Alex Iwobi's last-minute winner, a moment of brilliance that secured Fulham's first victory at this iconic venue in over two decades.

Drama Unfolds in Manchester
The clash was a rollercoaster of emotions, with Fulham showcasing a masterclass in resilience and tactical astuteness. Harry Maguire's equaliser for United seemed to set the stage for a familiar disappointment for the visitors, following Calvin Bassey's opener. However, the script was far from written. The Cottagers, only with their second away win of the season, demonstrated why football is a game of endless possibilities. Rodrigo Muniz's effort hitting the post in the first half was a harbinger of the drama that was to unfold, as Fulham squandered numerous chances only to seize victory in the dying moments.

Silva's Vision Comes to Life
Marco Silva, the architect behind Fulham's burgeoning campaign, spoke with pride about his team's performance. His words, "I'm pleased how we played at the start of the second half," reflecting a manager in tune with his team's ethos. Silva's commitment to an attacking, fearless style of play, irrespective of the venue, is a testament to his philosophy. "This is our way," he stated, underscoring a belief in a style of play that is both bold and unyielding.

Leap Towards Premier League Prominence
This triumph does not just represent three points; it is a statement of intent from a Fulham side aiming to disrupt the Premier League hierarchy. Now just a whisper away from Chelsea in the league standings, Fulham's ambitions are as clear as they are lofty. With the Blues set to face Liverpool in the Carabao Cup final, Silva's men have thrown down the gauntlet, signaling their arrival as contenders.

In a league where moments define seasons, Fulham's victory at Manchester United is a clarion call that they are here not just to participate, but to challenge, to inspire, and to dream. Marco Silva's Fulham is rewriting their story, one stunning victory at a time.

https://eplindex.com/105610/marco-silvas-fulham-clinch-historic-win-over-united.html

WhiteJC

Player ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Fulham

Dan Cooke takes on the player ratings after our historic victory at Old Trafford

Trying to process all of my thoughts into a coherent report is going to be difficult. I don't know if I've ever felt euphoria like it. We were lions (or eagles) at the Theatre of Dreams; we were undoubtedly the better team, strong at the back and wonderfully free and creative going forward. We deserved every one of those three points, but to do it in the way that we did just made it even more special. Really, every single one of our boys should get 10/10, but it wouldn't make for great reading!

Bernd Leno

It actually didn't feel like Bernd's best performance today. In real time it felt like he maybe could've done better for United's goal, and he was guilty of parrying into the danger area on other occasions too. However, he did make a very good save from Garnacho in the first half, stretching to his left, and punched well from a couple of corners really well under considerable pressure. Not Bernd's best day, but ultimately, who cares! 6/10

Timothy Castagne

A very Timmy performance today I thought. Very steady, without maybe the standout moments that Antonee provides on the other flank. He made some great runs down the right flank, and as he's shown many times, he's picks up very smart areas, being able to underlap as well as overlap. I felt like Garnacho had his number a bit in the first half, but actually, for how influential a player he can be, Garnacho didn't have a huge impact after half time. Steady, competent, and combative, I think that sums Timmy Chestnuts up pretty well. 7.5/10

Tosin

It was a treat to see Tosin alongside Bassey today, because I'm certain they're the best pairing we have. A couple of hairy moments in possession in the first half, but overall a dominant performance from the big man. His long strides and appreciable leap meant that he was able to deal with United whether they were trying to get in behind him or whip balls into the box. I've got a real soft spot for Tosin, and I thought he was great today. 8/10

Calvin Bassey

I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you across the country. God we've missed this man. Whatever Ajax fans were smoking last season, it clouded their judgment. This kid is special. He was as solid as his partner today, but also linked up with Jedi brilliantly, setting our roadrunner free down the left multiple times. The finish for his goal was frankly ridiculous; weaker foot, on the bounce, and he's just absolutely leathered it. We've got a total gem. 9.5/10

Antonee Robinson

I reckon a whole heap of Manchester United fans will have watched that performance and thought "Get the chequebook out Sir Jim, pay whatever it takes to get him in". Well they can piss off, he's ours. It was a textbook Jedi performance, flying down that left flank. Especially because none of his crosses seemed to work, but ultimately, for every bad cross, he does five other brilliant things. He was great, and United had no joy down his flank. 8/10

Sasa Lukic

Sasa, we apologise, all of us, the whole fanbase. We all questioned whether he had the minerals to step into Palhinha's boots, and he emphatically answered that question. From the first crunching tackle he put in early on, to the lovely composure and flow he provided us on the ball, it was a real masterclass from the Serb. I really hope this is a springboard for him to play a part in this squad. 9.5/10

Harrison Reed

Our terrier. If it's between him and Mainoo for England, give me our special one Iniesta. He did what we all expected and covered every blade of grass, snapped into every tackle, got battered and bruised and came out the other side with the ball every time. In a season which has seen him drift out the side, it was lovely to get a vintage Harrison performance on the biggest stage. 9/10

Andreas Pereira

Back at his old stomping ground Andreas had a good game, one of his best of this season. He was a big part in breaking through the United lines and driving us forward. Final ball, as always, felt like it was lacking, but he didn't play his Houdini act, he was constantly involved and making things happen. His corner created the first goal, although I think it was more brilliance from Bassey than it was a good ball in. Still a really good shift. 7.5/10

Alex Iwobi

The Fulham Super Eagles are back and they are soaring baby. Such a silky smooth footballer, who whenever Fulham do something good, is always involved in some way. He did miss some chances today, but Dalot couldn't handle him, and the winner was so nonchalant that it looked like pre-match shooting practice. I love watching this guy play football. He's also just so bloody cool. 9/10

Harry Wilson

Drifted in and out of the this game at times, but he always seemed to worry United when he got on the ball. The way he drives at defenders makes him so dangerous, and I thought he had the better of Lindelof. Not a starring role, but certainly a great supporting act at the Theatre of Dreams. 7/10

Rodrigo Muniz

Rodrigo Muniz, you are a Premier League striker. He no longer looks awkward in a bad way, it's in a great way. He's a total nuisance. Maguire and Varane were dragged left and right, beaten in the air, outmuscled on the ground, who is this man??? I've said before, but I feel so proud watching him play like this, and he deserves so much credit for the player he's turning into. The turn and shot that smacked the post was that of an elite centre-forward, and was so unlucky that it didn't go in. He was shattered by the end, and I'm not surprised, he put in a serious shift. 9/10

Substitutes

Tom Cairney

Vintage TC. His composure on the ball is wonderful, and he is seemingly unpressable. One moment in particular, where it felt like four United players swarmed him, but with a drop of the shoulder and a languid pirouette, out emerged Tom with the ball, and left four United players bemused as to what had happened. 8/10

Adama Traore

Adama has finally arrived. Is there anyone in world football who you would rather bring on against a team who are desperately seeking a goal and leaving themselves exposed at the back? The funniest moment of this season will absolutely be Harry Maguire looking like he was towing a caravan whilst trying to keep up with our speedster. The vital moment was whether he could make something happen at the end of the run, but he showed good composure to calmly pick out Iwobi to sweep home the winner. This is what we signed him for. 8/10

Issa Diop

I honestly have no idea. I watched the entirety of the end of the game through the gaps between my fingers, so I don't have a clue how Issa played, it's all a blur. No rating for Issa, sorry mate.

Marco Silva

I don't think George usually gives Marco a rating in these articles, but it felt remiss to leave him out. A tactical masterclass. How do you replace Palhinha? How do you replace Willian? Whilst we were all flapping, Marco was plotting. Not only did he pick what turned out to be the perfect starting 11, every substitution was perfect too. Perfectly timed, perfectly executed. Outside of Fulham, this man does not get enough praise. Sod your "xG", sod your "field tilt", sod your "big chances conceded", Marco's tricky Whites don't care about them, he's a genius. 10/10 – Man of the match

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2024-02-25-player-ratings-manchester-united-1-2-fulham/

WhiteJC

Bruno Fernandes slammed as 'pathetic' and a 'cheat' after clip showing Man United captain feigning injury to try and win a free-kick during Fulham loss goes viral

Fernandes writhed around on the turf after seeing a long-range shot saved
    After referee ignored him, Fernandes got back to his feet and asked for the ball

Bruno Fernandes has been labelled a 'cheat' and 'pathetic' after a clip of the Manchester United captain writhing around in agony to try and win a free-kick went viral.

The shameful example of the Portuguese star's play-acting occurred during the closing stages of United's defeat to Fulham on Saturday.

Not long after Harry Maguire equalised, Fernandes - whose parried shot led to the defender's goal - received the ball and drove towards Fulham's defence.

With scant options ahead of him, Fernandes took a left-footed shot from 30 yards which Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno pushed out.

But Fernandes inexplicably threw himself to the ground in mock pain despite what looked like minimal contact from Fulham midfielder Sasa Lukic, who'd closed him down.

With the score at 1-1, United were pushing for a winner against Fulham in stoppage time

After seeing a long-range shot saved, Fernandes (bottom right) went down despite there appearing to be minimal contact by Fulham's Sasa Lukic

Referee Michael Oliver ignored Fernandes and his pleas for a foul as United play on ahead

Eventually, Fernandes gets back to his feet - with no sign of injury - and demands the ball

Fernandes, clutching his ankle, appealed in vain for a free-kick from referee Michael Oliver, who tells him to get up as he jogs past.

But the United skipper continues to roll around on the turf despite his team-mates playing on ahead of him.

Eventually, when Fernandes finally realises no free-kick is going to be forthcoming, he gets back to his feet - apparently without any discomfort - and starts asking for the ball.

The attack eventually fizzles out and United would concede to Alex Iwobi in the seventh minute of stoppage time as Fulham claimed an unexpected win.

Fernandes raged at Oliver after the full-time whistle and was joined by manager Erik ten Hag in questioning some of the referee's decisions during what was United's 10th league loss of the season.

A clip of Fernandes feigning injury soon went viral on social media and sparked a backlash from United fans as well as rival ones.

'Normally a big Bruno fan but this is PATHETIC,' wrote one United supporter.

'As a United supporter I can almost see why so many people say Bruno isn't fit to be captain. I just think he's really passionate though,' tweeted another.

Fernandes argues with referee Michael Oliver during Saturday's match, which United lost 2-1

Another United fan said: 'Moments like these are why Bruno Fernandes gets disrespected by rivals fans and referees hardly take him serious, forget his abilities Bruno would remain seen as a cheating sore loser to a lot.'

The fan went on to argue that Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne, Arsenal captain Martin odegaard and Barcelona star Pedri wouldn't behave in the same way.

'Maguire is a better captain than this guy,' wrote an Arsenal fan on X, while a Liverpool supporter said: 'Words cannot describe how much I hate this man.'

Fernandes, 29, rightly wins plaudits for his passing vision and contribution to United's attack, with seven goals and seven assists so far this season.

But his petulance, sulking when things go badly and instances such as this hardly endear him.

A defiant Ten Hag insisted the future is still bright for United despite a damaging defeat to Fulham at Old Trafford.

It has plunged United's hopes of Champions League qualification into doubt, which could have a bearing on Ten Hag keeping his job in the summer.

But the United boss said: 'I said from the start of January, we are in finals. We won many and now we lost one.

'After one defeat you have to see the bigger picture, and the bigger picture looks very good.

'We have to catch up in certain positions and get the injuries back, then we will be more balanced and also strengthen the squad in the transfer windows.

'You see there are many good players coming up and real high-potential players. They will be getting better so definitely we are going in the right direction. When we have the players available, we have a very good team.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13123459/Bruno-Fernandes-pathetic-cheat-Man-United-captain-feigning-injury.html

WhiteJC

Man of the Match Result: Man Utd
Fulham's matchwinner Alex Iwobi has added the Man of the Match award to his tally of accolades from Saturday.

It looked set to be frustration against Manchester United once again when a Harry Maguire goal threatened to deprive a brilliant Whites performance of a couple of points, but Iwobi had other ideas.

In the seventh minute of stoppage time, the boys continued the positive attitude they'd shown all day at Old Trafford, countering from a throw-in deep in our own half, with Adama Traoré taking things by the scruff of the neck and dribbling half the length of the pitch.

He had the composure to match the run at the end of it, teeing up Iwobi to his left who gave Andre Onana the eyes to place a cool finish inside the near post.

Iwobi has been a bubble of dynamism all afternoon and had been unfortunate not to have already popped his name on the scoresheet.

Bagging the goal that secured Fulham a first win away to United in 21 years saw 41.7% of fans give Iwobi their backing for Man of the Match.

Saša Lukić deserves credit for ensuring João Palhinha's absence was not felt as critically as it might have been, and he duly came in second with 23.4%, ahead of Calvin Bassey (11.3%) and Rodrigo Muniz (8.9%).

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/february/25/man-of-the-match-result-man-utd/

WhiteJC

Fabulous Fulham finally get their rewards
The morning after the night before is really rather wonderful. Much of theF media discussion about events at Old Trafford will centre around the shortcomings of Manchester United – and Eric ten Haag may now face a fight to hold onto his job – but anyone of a Fulham persuasion will have woken up with a beaming smile after Marco Silva's men made more history yesterday afternoon.

In typical Fulham fashion, they made it as dramatic as possible for us. The efficiency of Alex Iwobi's finish eclipsed his earlier failures in front of goal, but the rapidity of Adama Traore was what made the goal possible. The joy of clinching only our third league win at Old Trafford was enhanced by the fact that Fulham looked to have thrown it away – with Harry Maguire forcing home an equaliser in the last minute of normal time – and responded to that setback with two terrific attacks deep into added time that eventually made the difference.

The win was all the more impressive as the Whites were without two of their most consistent performers this season. That Joao Palhinha was barely missed shows you how well Sasa Lukic stepped into central midfield, whilst Iwobi's return meant we weren't ruing another niggling injury that ruled out Willian. Silva's team selection and substitutions have been questioned this season, but his approach delivered the goods from first whistle to last yesterday. Asked about the boldness of being adventurous at Old Trafford, Silva said: 'This is our way'.

Lukic certainly embraced his chance to shine, driving forward through the gaping holes in United's rearguard throughout whilst also not being shy to put his foot in. The Serbian midfielder might have taken a cue from Rodrigo Muniz, who seems to have been utterly transformed by the signing of Armando Broja. The Albanian forward has had only cursory playing down since making the move down the King's Road – and so marvellously did Muniz monster Maguire and Raphael Varane that you have to wonder whether Raul Jimenez will be able to get back into the side.

Both of those players had strong claims to be the man-of-match, whilst Calvin Bassey and Alex Iwobi weighed in with significant contributions that went well beyond scoring those all-important goals. Bassey delivered a performance packed full of power and pace, capping a dominantly display, with his first goal for the club gleefully dispatched after the terrific Timothy Castagne had got in the way of a snapshot from a corner. Iwobi's impact, deep into Fergie time, will now forever be etched into Fulham folklore.

I was fortunate to see Chris Coleman's side surprise United in 2003 in person. The Whites took their chances ruthlessly on that day, but they never enjoyed the level of supremacy that Silva's charges revelled in yesterday. This was no smash and grab raid, with Iwobi, Pereira and Muniz both missing good chances in the first half. Silva has certainly made a serious impact since taking Fulham back to the top flight – and you get the sense he isn't finished yet.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/02/fabulous-fulham-finally-get-their-rewards/

WhiteJC

Harry Maguire regrets not preventing Fulham winner - and accepting Man Utd red card
Harry Maguire could've got himself sent off and potentially saved Manchester United a point against Fulham on Saturday, but the defender was thinking ahead to the Red Devils' crucial run of games

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire admitted he should have fouled Adama Traore before he set up Fulham's winner and accepted the red card that would have followed.

Trarore got away from Maguire to set up Alex Iwobi's 97th-minute winner, with the United centre-back revealing he made a mistake in not taking down the Fulham substitute. But Maguire knew a second yellow card and a subsequent red would have ruled him out of United's FA Cup tie at Nottingham Forest on Wednesday, so he chose not to bring down Traore in United's dire 2-1 loss.

"I was on a booking myself," said Maguire. "In hindsight, maybe I should have just brought him down, but then you miss next week. It's easy to say now. We can say we should have been more cautious, we were far too naive, we can look back and assess it in terms of areas we can improve on, but ultimately over 90 minutes, we didn't do enough to win the game.

"I thought the reaction to going behind was really good. All the boys pushing, fighting, doing everything they can to get back into the game. We thoroughly deserved the equaliser.

"Then we went on and we pushed. We had all the pressure, all the momentum and the belief was there that we were going to go on and win the game. In the end, we've probably just thrown one too many bodies forward, left the middle of the pitch open and they've punished us with a clinical counter-attack."

Maguire, 30, also bemoaned the fact United were missing their two out-and-out strikers: Rasmus Hojlund and Anthony Martial. Speaking to BBC Sport, the England international admitted: "We got hit by the injury to Rasmus, who has been big focal point for us but it is up to us to find the solutions and the areas we need to improve on.

"He has been our focal point, we can play into him, he holds it up, he starts the press really well, not only that but Marcus [Rashford] has been playing really well on the left. It's the story of our season, we've been injury-hit - as other teams have - and we need to find a solution quick."

Maguire and his teammates will now hope to bounce back in the FA Cup fifth round at Forest. After that, it's the small matter of facing Manchester City next Sunday.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-maguire-fulham-manutd-redcard-32207571

WhiteJC

'Disgraceful' Man Utd were served 'justice' as 'delusional' Ten Hag needs sacking
Man Utd were a "disgrace" against Fulham and "got exactly what they deserved" after a number of "bad performances", according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

The Red Devils have been in good form in recent weeks with six wins from their last seven matches before Fulham's 2-1 victory at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Harry Maguire cancelled out Calvin Bassey's opener in the 89th minute but the Cottagers scored in the seventh minute of added time as Alex Iwobi gave Marco Silva's side all three points.

Man Utd had not been totally convincing in some of those victories and Agbonlahor was clearly pleased to see the Red Devils drop points.

Agbonlahor said on talkSPORT: "Today was justice.

"United have been getting away with bad performances and still somehow winning games, but today they got exactly what they deserved.

"Manchester United today were a disgrace to that football club."

Speaking after the match, Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag insisted that his side "deserved" to beat Fulham, he told talkSPORT: "We fought ourselves back into the game and we get a draw, and at that point, I think we deserved to win the game.

"Then in one loose moment, we lose the game. Of course, we are very disappointed about this, but we also have to move on, and we will do."

But Agbonlahor's fellow pundit Jamie O'Hara was not having any of it with the former Tottenham midfielder insisting that Ten Hag's comments were "delusional".

O'Hara added: "Have you ever heard someone more delusional? When a manager is delusional like Ten Hag is sounding now, it is time to move him on.

"Come out and be honest, your team were dreadful. Every player through the whole 90 minutes.

"Eighth home defeat this season. 'The team showed character to grab the equaliser.' You winding me up?"

In another interview, Ten Hag continued: "After these two months I can't go with that approach. We have gone lately very good but now we have some setbacks.

"Today we could have won this game. We should have won this game as the team showed great character.

"We had two slow starts in both halves, definitely. It was a big loss to lose Casemiro (to injury), we lost some stability in the team and conceded a goal that is very avoidable, but then fought back in the game.

"I have to credit the team – they showed great character. We went for the win but by the end we let them slip away.

"But after one defeat you have to see the bigger picture and the bigger picture looks very good.

"We have to catch up in certain positions and get the injuries back, then we will be more in balance and also strengthen the squad in the transfer windows.

"You see there are many good players coming up and real high potential players, so definitely we are going in the right direction. When we have the players available, we have a very good team."

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-disgraceful-justice-delusional-ten-hag-sacking

WhiteJC

'I couldn't disagree more' – Alan Shearer replies to Erik ten Hag's comments after Fulham loss
The Newcastle legend disagreed with Erik ten Hag's assessment of Manchester United's 2-1 loss against Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

The Red Devils four game-win streak ended when Marco Silva's Fulham grabbed a last-second goal to take all three points at Old Trafford.

Calvin Bassey opened the scoring in the second half after he rifled the ball into the roof of Andre Onana's net off the back of a corner.

Harry Maguire then drew the game level in the 89th minute when he turned striker, guiding the ball home from just a few yards out.

But after pushing men forward in search of a winner, the visitors struck on the counter with Alex Iwobi sweeping the ball into the bottom corner after leaving two United defenders for dead.

Speaking after the match, Ten Hag stated that his side showed 'great character' during the game and claimed that they were moving in the right direction.

Alan Shearer stated on the Premier League's MatchDay Extra that he disagreed with the manager's assessment of his side.

"I couldn't disagree more with Harry Maguire and Erik ten Hag there," he said.

"I thought Fulham really deserved to win that game. They missed so many chances. Then, for Fulham to get the winner in the way they did in the last couple of minutes, I thought they deserved it."

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/02/25/i-couldnt-disagree-more-alan-shearer-replies-to-erik-ten-hags-comments-after-fulham-loss/

WhiteJC

Alex Iwobi shares what he's hearing about Manchester United's Andre Onana after Fulham win
Manchester United were left shell-shocked when Fulham turned up to Old Trafford and secured a 2-1 win on Saturday.

The man who put a massive dent in Erik ten Hag's Champions League hopes was Alex Iwobi, who scored the winner deep into stoppage time past the helpless, Andre Onana.

The Manchester United shot-stopper was rooted to his spot when Alex Iwobi gave him the eyes and put the ball into the near corner.

The Fulham winger stated that 'everyone' was telling him that Andre Onana 'wasn't able to move' and how he was unable to see his reaction to the goal, as he told Final Score.

In truth, the keeper himself couldn't do much about that effort, the home side had committed a lot of men forward, and they were trying to chase a late winner after Harry Maguire had equalised in the 89th minute.

Talk after the game from Manchester United's camp was shut down by Alan Shearer, with Alex Iwobi reacting to his historic goal.

Alex Iwobi scores the winner past Andre Onana
"As soon as I took the touch inside, I felt he (Onana) thought I was going to wrap it into the far corner," said Iwobi. "But I was able to give him the eyes and put it in the near post.

"I haven't seen his reaction, but everyone is saying he wasn't able to move, so a goal is a goal and we move on to the next."

Manchester United licking their wounds
Man United have themselves and themselves to blame only for this defeat because this was coming after recent performances – Marcus Rashford has come under serious fire.

Yes, they won their games at Luton Town and Aston Villa recently, but in truth, they were lucky to come away with maximum points from those games.

Their issue has been loud and clear. They are conceding too many chances, both home and away, which is eventually going to eat them up.

If they continue down this road, then there is no way they will secure a top-four finish, even though it already seems unlikely.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2024/02/25/alex-iwobi-shares-what-hes-hearing-about-manchester-uniteds-andre-onana-after-fulham-win/

WhiteJC

Fulham hands Arsenal a boost in their bid to sign midfielder
Arsenal has been monitoring Fulham star Joao Palhinha over the past few months, especially after his failed transfer to Bayern Munich during the summer. The Portuguese midfielder has established himself as one of the standout performers in his role in England.

Palhinha's proposed move to Bayern Munich was initially set, but it fell through as Fulham couldn't secure a replacement in time. This turn of events has put Arsenal in a favourable position, with Football Insider reporting that the Gunners are still keen on acquiring his signature.

The latest update suggests that Fulham is now open to selling Palhinha, and they anticipate the midfielder departing in the upcoming summer transfer window. This development serves as a significant boost to Arsenal, potentially providing them with the opportunity to secure the services of a solid midfielder in the summer.

Just Arsenal Opinion
Palhinha is a superb midfielder who has been outstanding in matches against us and other top opponents, so we will be lucky to have him in our squad.

The poor fitness record of Thomas Partey means we have to replace the Ghanaian, and Palinha is a fine substitute for the former Atletico Madrid man.

However, Fulham's willingness to sell does not mean he will be cheap, and we must be prepared to pay a good fee to sign him.

https://www.justarsenal.com/fulham-hands-arsenal-a-boost-in-their-bid-to-sign-midfielder/360876

WhiteJC

Alex Iwobi hails Fulham ace after beating Manchester United
Fulham ace Alex Iwobi has hailed teammate Adama Traore after his game-changing impact against Manchester United on Saturday afternoon.

What a win for Fulham!

Few gave Marco Silva and co much of a chance against a resurgent United side but Fulham produced a coupon-busting display.

Calvin Bassey blasted Fulham in front before Harry Maguire appeared to have snatched a draw for United in the dying stages.

Step forward Adama Traore and Alex Iwobi.

Traore blazed away from United defenders before finding Iwobi, slotting past Andre Onana to win it.

Alex Iwobi hails Adama Traore
This was a huge moment for Traore, who has suffered a difficult first season at Fulham.

The rapid winger just hasn't been able to get going and squandered a golden chance to equalise against Fulham last week.

Tom Cairney admitted really wanting Traore to score because he deserved a big moment in a Fulham shirt – and it actually came against United.

Traore's pace is a nightmare for most defenders but he then picked out the key pass too with Iwobi finding the net.

Goalscorer Iwobi has now paid tribute to Traore and his impact at Old Trafford whilst speaking to BBC Sport.

Iwobi called Traore a 'threat' on the ball, believing that he takes Fulham up the pitch with his direct approach.

Iwobi added that he just put his head down and ran towards goal as soon as Traore gained possession, believing that a chance would come his way.

"We all know he can drive us up the pitch and he's a threat. As soon as he has the ball it is head down for me, sprint towards the goal and he was able to find me," said Iwobi. "I took the touch inside I feel the keeper thought I would wrap it far corner, but I gave him the eyes and put it inside near post," he added.

Let's hope this is the start of something special for Traore at Fulham.

We know the talent he possesses; so fast, so strong, so difficult to stop when in full flight.

Traore's end product can be hit-and-miss but it worked for Fulham on Saturday, hopefully allowing him to finally kick on at Craven Cottage.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/02/25/alex-iwobi-hails-fulham-ace-after-beating-manchester-united/

WhiteJC

Calvin Bassey: Fulham 'wanted' victory more than Manchester United
Goalcorer Calvin Bassey felt Fulham just "wanted it more" than Manchester United after the Londoners claimed a shock win at Old Trafford.

Alex Iwobi struck in the seventh minute of stoppage time as the Cottagers killed off a late United fightback to snatch a last-gasp 2-1 victory in the Premier League on Saturday.

Fulham had been course for what seemed a deserved success courtesy of Bassey's opener but United produced a strong finish and Harry Maguire appeared to have salvaged a point for the hosts in the 89th minute.

Yet while United pushed for a late clincher themselves, they were caught on the counter-attack and Iwobi capitalised to secure his side's first win at Old Trafford since 2003.

"I don't think you can just come here and overrun them," said defender Bassey, whose goal was his first for the club. "You can see the quality of the players they have.

"They have got top players and a top manager and players that can have an effect off the bench, but we were just at it more and I felt we wanted it more. That showed in the way we played.

"(The equaliser) was a bit annoying, but we had done so well to even get 1-1, so then it was about making sure we didn't leave with nothing. But then we got a chance and we were able to bury it."

Mid-table Fulham's victory was only their second in their last six games in what has been an inconsistent season but Bassey hopes a corner has been turned.

"It is always nice to win a game and hopefully we can keep this momentum going," the Nigeria international said.

The result put an end to United's four-game winning run in the league and dented their hopes of reaching the top four.

Maguire feels the team need to get it out of their system quickly ahead of Wednesday's FA Cup trip to Nottingham Forest and then the derby against Manchester City next weekend.

The England centre-back told MUTV: "We know it's going to be a tough game in midweek. Our full focus is on that one. We've got to bounce back.

"A big reaction is needed. It's going to be a tough game, but one that we got to go there and produce a performance like we did there last year."

Maguire admitted United were caught out in the end by Fulham but said pushing for the win seemed the right approach at the time.

He said: "This season we've scored numerous late goals, numerous late winners. So we had great belief that we were going to go on to win the game.

"Obviously in hindsight now we can all sit here and say that we should have been more cautious, we were far too naive.

"We can look back and I'm sure we'll assess it in terms of areas that we can improve on but, ultimately, over the 90 minutes we didn't do enough to win the game."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/calvin-bassey-fulham-wanted-victory-223026894.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jLm5ld3Nub3cuY28udWsv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAE6-VqlHP8kwED4vQ5ANlHKW-3CmEW6i_gWkMR1r_b0pwsIDiXr3RSpP15-Vnu-5IC_BeTZ9HPTRi1qCgx-7jXn2euDZ_fHsatv_DTteXCpvrbZbeuyCiEbO3_ameKsxxAU_EszY_Cg3tpLJVOuYK6KnEk0y_On2XnO6wMqBacTe

WhiteJC

Report: Bayern Munich still keeping tabs on João Palhinha, and Fulham is open to sell
The price, though, keeps climbing higher and higher.

The transfer story that will not end — Bayern Munich's pursuit of Fulham defensive midfielder João Palhinha.

After failing to push a move through on deadline day of the last summer transfer window, and ruling out a move in January, the Bavarians reportedly still have the Portuguese star on their list for summer 2024.

From Sport Bild, via @iMiaSanMia:

João Palhinha is still on Bayern's list for the summer as the club will look to sign a defensive midfielder

Fulham vice-chairmain Tony Khan opened the door to a potential sale, telling @talkSPORT: "I would want him as part of the team for as long as possible and we were very happy to extend his contract, but if an offer came along that would make sense for everyone I think that's something you have to consider with every player at the right time"

Fulham's asking price is around €70m

[@SPORTBILD]

The potential move looks like it is getting more and more costly. Is Fulham serious about selling, or trying to price out potential suitors?

It is a decision Bayern's incoming board member for sport, Max Eberl, will likely be a major part of making. Bayern have many big decisions this summer, starting with a new coach. What will that mean for the current defensive midfielder — Joshua Kimmich?

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2024/2/26/24065016/report-bayern-munich-joao-palhinha-70m-transfer-rumor-fulham-premier-league-tuchel-max-eberl-kimmich

WhiteJC

Joao Palhinha: Major update on Liverpool and Bayern Munich race after new twist – Sources
Bayern Munich remain alongside the likes of Liverpool in the race for Fulham midfielder Joao Palhinha, sources have told Football Insider.

The German giants are still keen to land the 28-year-old despite the imminent departure of Thomas Tuchel.

It is believed Tuchel is a big fan of Palhinha and was a major driving force behind their push to land him last summer (2023) – which was eventually blocked by Fulham on deadline day.

But the ex-Chelsea boss revealed his decision to quit Bayern earlier this week in a dramatic new twist following their poor recent form.

Nevertheless, a well-placed source has told Football Insider that the Portugal international remains on their shortlist and they could swoop for him if he is available for the right price.

It is believed club chiefs in the corridors of power at Bayern are "big admirers" of Palhinha.

The Bundesliga champions, who trail Bayer Leverkusen in this season's title race, will go head-to-head with long-term admirers like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and other Premier League sides for his signature.

Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan has recently confirmed the club will "have to consider" sensible offers for Palhinha and admitted there is a "huge market" for their star midfielder.

He has made 28 appearances across all competitions this season, notching three goals and one assist.

Khan's admission comes despite him signing a fresh five-year contract in September 2023, with Fulham holding the option to extend that deal by a further 12 months.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/joao-palhinha-major-update-on-liverpool-and-bayern-munich-race-after-new-twist-sources/

WhiteJC

Bassey: Fulham 'wanted it more' than United
Calvin Bassey says Fulham fully believed they could win at Old Trafford – and feels the Whites 'wanted it more' than Manchester United.

The Nigerian international gave Marco Silva's side the lead with his first Fulham goal and, the visitors, who were beaten twice after taking the lead at United last season, recovered from the crushing nature of Harry Maguire's 89th minute equaliser to seal their first victory at the Theatre Dreams in 21 years through Alex Iwobi's sensational stoppage-time strike.

Speaking after the final whistle, a beaming Bassey said:

"Of course we had belief. If you saw the last games we played, even the one we played [against Manchester United] at home, when we lost right at the end, it was just the details and making sure we got the details right. It worked out for us, thank God.

"I don't think you can just come here and overrun them. You can see the quality of the players they have. They have got top players and a top manager and players that can have an effect off the bench, but we were just at it more and I felt we wanted it more today. That showed in the way we played.

The centre half confirmed that the commitment that characterised Fulham's second away win in the league this season has been demanded of them by Silva.

"100 per cent. Even if we are not good on the ball, the minimum we can do is work as hard as the team we are playing or more. That is our foundation, and I think we have done that well throughout the season. Some results have been unlucky and some results have gone our way."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/02/bassey-fulham-wanted-it-more-than-united/

WhiteJC

Andreas Pereira sends message to Manchester United fans after Fulham win
Manchester United sunk to a home defeat against Fulham at the weekend to pump the brakes on the team's winning run of form.

After battling to two 2-1 away wins against Aston Villa and Luton, Manchester United lost to Fulham at home by the same scoreline.

There were some warning signs in both of those away wins, with a lack of control, especially in the win at Luton.

Luck evaded United against Fulham, conceding to a late Alex Iwobi winner in stoppage time, and there could be few complaints.

Andreas Pereira reacts to beating Manchester United
Former Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira returned to Old Trafford with Fulham and was on the winning team.

This was the second time he had played at the stadium as an away player. He was on the Fulham side which lost in the FA Cup last season, but missed the Premier League game through injury. United won both.

Pereira did not score in Fulham's win although did test goalkeeper Andre Onana with a curling strike which was saved.

The former Flamengo loanee sent a message out on Sunday, reflecting on Fulham's win, and thanked the Manchester United fans for the reception he received.

Pereira wrote on Instagram: "Vamos @Fulham! Grande grande vitória em #OldTrafford contra @manchesterunited #MUFC...
"Thanks to all the fans for the always positive reception, it's always great to play here again."

There is no doubt he enjoyed it, with his team leaving the pitch with all three points.

Fulham victory was against the form guide
Manchester United had been unbeaten in 2024, winning seven and drawing one.

Meanwhile Fulham had only two wins this calendar year, losing four and drawing three.

The 2-1 win for Fulham really was against the form guide, which makes it even more disappointing for Erik ten Hag's side.

Two important away games lie ahead over the next week, against Nottingham in the FA Cup and Manchester City in the Premier League.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/andreas-pereira-sends-message-to-manchester-united-fans-after-fulham-win/

WhiteJC

Andreas Pereira sends message to Manchester United fans after Fulham victory
Fulham star Andreas Pereira enjoyed his return to Manchester United.

Pereira lined up as Fulham's number 10 at Old Trafford on Saturday as Marco Silva chased what seemed to be an unlikely victory.

United have found some form of late and many were ruling out the chances of a Fulham victory.

Write Silva and co off at your peril though as Calvin Bassey smashed Fulham in front early in the second half following a superb first-half display.

It looked like Fulham would be made to pay for missed chances as Harry Maguire found a late equaliser for United.

There was another twist to come though as Alex Iwobi fired past Andre Onana in the dying seconds to hand Fulham a dramatic 2-1 victory.

Andreas Pereira sends message to Manchester United fans
Pereira was off the pitch by the time Iwobi found the winner but he will certainly have enjoyed that goal.

The Brazilian was sold by United in 2022 as Fulham struck a deal worth around £10million to bring him to West London.

Pereira was outstanding last season and continues to be a creative force with five assists this season.

After beating his former club in dramatic fashion, Pereira took to Instagram to send a message.

Pereira noted that this was a great win for Fulham before thanking United fans for a 'positive reception'.

Pereira added that it's 'always great' to play at Old Trafford again – but this one will have surely been sweeter than most.

'Thanks to all the fans for the always positive reception, it's always great to play here again," said Pereira with ex-United goalkeeper David De Gea 'liking' the post.

Pereira recorded five key passes at Old Trafford whilst also having two shots on target.

This was a strong display from Pereira but he appeared to have picked up a knock upon being replaced by Tom Cairney.

Let's hope that Pereira isn't on the sidelines for too long as Silva certainly needs his number 10 fit and thriving.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/02/26/andreas-pereira-sends-message-to-manchester-united-fans-after-fulham-victory/