News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Now we are ‘safe’ what are we going to do with Tosin?

Started by Jeroen, March 02, 2024, 09:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

As much as I really like Tosin, and I do think he probably edges it past Diop, I don't consider Tosin that superior to Diop, so if he does decide he wants to play elsewhere, I think we already have a starter in our squad ready to replace him. Having said that, my obvious preference is to keep him as we have a really settled back line and he's looking like he enjoys playing for us. I guess if its about the Silva project, we just need to show as much commitment that he'd be showing to bring in some top players to push the squad on further. SO an exciting summer ahead.

ChesterTheTabby

So long as there is no attitude issue, as has been speculated, must keep Tosin.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 03, 2024, 10:16:30 PMWe should play Diop/Bassey around seven games this season, but I think we should wait until the results of Luton vs Forest, Fulham vs Sheffield and Fulham vs Forest games, which are all completed before the 4th April.

If Tosin won't resign when we have seven games left at 14 or more points ahead of the relegation zone, then he never will.

Is that another completely arbitrary made up thing? Tosin already knows we are not getting relegated, so then it is either already clear that he won't sign for us, or that particular issue is not what is holding him up and he may as well wait until the season is finished until deciding.

Thailand Mick

Can I put a worst case scenario here, we signed Diop from West Ham because he wanted to leave due to not playing. If we continue to pick Tosin and he refuses to signed a new contract we could end up with Diop wanting to leave and only having Bassey and Ream as center halves. FFP has been a problem for us recently so it won't help having to find two new center halves. As I stated before if Diop plays and forms a strong partnership with Bassey then we can look for an up and coming young replacement for RCB and use the money to strengthen ElseWare. Maybe someone can tell me how many games Diop and Bassey have played together and how will we know if they are a good partnership until it's too late and the summer window closes. updated they have played one game together at Arsenal when Bassey was wrongly sent off.

ianthailand

Quote from: Thailand Mick on March 04, 2024, 04:47:48 AMCan I put a worst case scenario here, we signed Diop from West Ham because he wanted to leave due to not playing. If we continue to pick Tosin and he refuses to signed a new contract we could end up with Diop wanting to leave and only having Bassey and Ream as center halves. FFP has been a problem for us recently so it won't help having to find two new center halves. As I stated before if Diop plays and forms a strong partnership with Bassey then we can look for an up and coming young replacement for RCB and use the money to strengthen ElseWare. Maybe someone can tell me how many games Diop and Bassey have played together and how will we know if they are a good partnership until it's too late and the summer window closes. updated they have played one game together at Arsenal when Bassey was wrongly sent off.
It's a real tricky one. Agree, if we knew definitively that Tosin was not going to sign, then play Diop although i think Tosin is the better player. That could cost us a couple of places in the table i.e. 4+ million pounds but not put Diop's nose out of joint and maybe cement the relationship with Bassey. Trust Marco i suppose.

WindyCity

I think some of this playing certain players predicated on their willingness to stay in the team is very much misguided.  You play the best players available on the day.  That's what professionalism is all about.  I've seen/heard discussions on sitting players like Carvalho, now Tosin and others.  These guys are all pros, and Carvalho helped FFC into promotion and played full out in spite of knowing his flight to Liverpool after seasons' end.  You play your best XI all the time!

btffc

Quote from: Thailand Mick on March 04, 2024, 04:47:48 AMCan I put a worst case scenario here, we signed Diop from West Ham because he wanted to leave due to not playing. If we continue to pick Tosin and he refuses to signed a new contract we could end up with Diop wanting to leave and only having Bassey and Ream as center halves. FFP has been a problem for us recently so it won't help having to find two new center halves. As I stated before if Diop plays and forms a strong partnership with Bassey then we can look for an up and coming young replacement for RCB and use the money to strengthen ElseWare. Maybe someone can tell me how many games Diop and Bassey have played together and how will we know if they are a good partnership until it's too late and the summer window closes. updated they have played one game together at Arsenal when Bassey was wrongly sent off.

Not worried about Diop leaving. If Tosin leaves on a free then Diop will see that the starting RCB spot is open so he won't ask out. If Tosin doesn't leave then maybe Diop asks out but then we just need to replace a backup.

Also have zero concern about Tosin downing tools. He hasn't signed with anyone yet so he has to maintain top form for him to get the contract with the team he wants so every game is an audition.

Free Elvis Hammond

I wonder where he'd go if he doesn't sign a new contract? I see the appeal of going abroad, like that Monaco move that fell through - change of scene, chance to play in the Champions League etc

But if he stays in England I can't see him playing regularly at a higher level than he is now

Hope he does stay, think he's a far better player than Diop

btffc

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on March 04, 2024, 04:55:48 PMI wonder where he'd go if he doesn't sign a new contract? I see the appeal of going abroad, like that Monaco move that fell through - change of scene, chance to play in the Champions League etc

But if he stays in England I can't see him playing regularly at a higher level than he is now

Hope he does stay, think he's a far better player than Diop

He's been heavily linked with Milan and there's been a few links with Liverpool. Milan would get him in the champions league and Liverpool needs homegrown players and a CB. He'd be behind Konate and Van Dijk, but VVD is getting up there in age and may not want to stay after Klopp leaves.

Bassey the warrior

If he keeps turning in performances he should keep his place, just like with Carvalho and Dembele mk II.

The Rational Fan

Fulham wants the kind of central defender that the Big Six Clubs would be interested in, but they get someone else. Such a player is unlikely to be available until the Big Six squads are finalised which will be near deadline day, and in order for such a player to come we need to wait plus have some points on the board when the transfer.

In other words, Diop/Bassey need will be our centre back partnership for the start of next season, plus they will need to be decent to attract the centre back we want. The best way to get Diop/ Bassey working for next season is to play them this season together in some games.

The question is whether to play them one game or eleven games, and in which games. Man City seems an obvious game but what other games should be pair Diop/Bassey, knowing that it may cost us some points and a place.

We have to admit the sad reality that if we are four games into next season with no points (due to Diop/Bassey), losses to key relegation battle teams and in need of a fourth centre back on deadline day, things will be rough and difficult to turn around.

Sting of the North

I don't think we have to admit to a sad dystopic future in which everything goes against us. We could as well just admit to the "truth" that if Tosin re-signs we have the centre backs settled. Or to the the "truth" that we will still win our first two games next year. These are hypothetical and basically equals "if everything goes wrong it will be tough".

We are playing this season now, not next. I am sure Marco and the players agree 100 %. There is enough time in pre-season to work on a potential new centre back pairing, should we need to.

In my opinion.

Tabby

I have a feeling that he'll end up in Italy, they have a fairly open race for CL football between 8 teams at the moment. He is likely aiming to play for England since he has yet to accept any call ups for Nigeria, and the chances of getting the recognition here are slim at best, especially with the pretty tough competition for spaces currently. Think Zamora was the last to get a call up here, or am I misremembering?

Would like him to stay, but it makes sense for him to leave. Seems enough of a pro to perform until he leaves though.

StuinSalop

Play your best team or winning team.

I doubt the side that starts v wolves will be our best team but you do not drop someone after a great 2-1 away at United and 3-0 home v Brighton.

Dodger53

I'm pretty sure that his brother plays in Belgium, maybe he wants to join him.

MickTheBeard

In my view play him if he puts the effort in if he doesn't stay a replacement must be brought in don't bring diepe into the argument play him and theirs more chance we will be in are relegation battle next season this season has been easy because the 3 who came up we're going to struggle theirs bigger clubs coming up next season.

filham

If somehow we could keep Tosin, Robinson and Palhina at the Cottage for next season then that would be a successful summer transfer window.

WindyCity

Quote from: filham on March 05, 2024, 10:34:21 AMIf somehow we could keep Tosin, Robinson and Palhina at the Cottage for next season then that would be a successful summer transfer window.

Ha, that was the hope for this past winter window.  Sure, would be nice if we can keep these players.  That said, standing pat in this league is a recipe for disaster.  Obviously, new players would still need to be brought in, and trying to get this team a bit younger would also be desirable.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 05, 2024, 07:14:51 AMI don't think we have to admit to a sad dystopic future in which everything goes against us. We could as well just admit to the "truth" that if Tosin re-signs we have the centre backs settled. Or to the the "truth" that we will still win our first two games next year. These are hypothetical and basically equals "if everything goes wrong it will be tough".

We are playing this season now, not next. I am sure Marco and the players agree 100 %. There is enough time in pre-season to work on a potential new centre back pairing, should we need to.

In my opinion.

Somewhat True, I am talking about various things going against us, but getting relegated to the championship next season while it is a little dystopic, is a real possibility (say 13% or odds of 8 to 1).

We need to prepare to avoid relegation now with our existing squad that is playing next season , rather than during the preseason like the promoted teams.

If we can ensure a good defensive unit to start the season, then I think we can do ok. The key to that is a good centre back partnership between Diop, Bassey and the defensive midfielder (hopefully Palhinha) before anyone new arrives.

We cannot rely on new players, because they may come on deadline day, plus It may take time to onboard any new CB, like it did with Bassey who didnt get a PL clean sheet until December 2033, so Diop/Bassey needs to be ready.

As for Tosin staying, if he doesn't sign during the international break then he never will, because by then he can be pretty certain that we are staying up and he has time to talk about his options with his agent in detail.

SerbianLad

Good news if true. If we tie all 3 down on long contracts, the squad will almost be set for next season. I'd then get a striker who can play on the wing and a leftback (I'd actually like to get FBT on a permanent if he's interested). Anything else would be a bonus providing everyone stays. Of course, if Palhinha, Robinson or whoever leaves we'll need to replace them as well.