watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 06/03/24...

Started by WhiteJC, March 05, 2024, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chris Basham opens up on Sheffield United future uncertainty after "worst nightmare" injury at Fulham
Chris Basham unsure what future holds after Sheffield United legend's horror injury at Fulham

Chris Basham has admitted he is unsure whether he will ever play football again after the Sheffield United legend opened up about his horror injury sustained at Fulham last year. The 35-year-old was taken to hospital after damaging his leg and ankle and has since undergone three operations in a bid to correct the damage.

Basham was subsequently omitted from United's squad for the second half of the Premier League season and is out of contract in the summer, in what was supposed to be a season of celebration as he reached 10 years at Bramall Lane. Instead he is on the long road back to fitness, while menial tasks such as pushing a supermarket trolley are currently proving difficult.

Basham has returned to United's training ground to begin the rehabilitation process and in an interview with Sky Sports, recalled of the Craven Cottage incident: "I can remember planting my foot in the wrong position. I remember falling to the ground and I heard a little crack, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

"I didn't really feel much pain at the time. It just felt like someone pouring hot lava on my leg. I was more worried about my family and kids watching and the impact it would have on them. It was obviously my worst nightmare. I'm five months down the line and it has been really, really tough. I was in hospital for a month and it has been tough on everyone."

Play at Fulham was stopped for almost 15 minutes while Basham received medical attention on the pitch before being taken to hospital, where he initially spent about a month before being discharged to his home in the north east. He was then recalled to hospital again after a setback, a process he admitted was tough on his wife and children who had expected their dad to be back home, and is currently unsure what the future holds.

"The way that both Fulham and Sheffield United have been with me has been outstanding and I can't thank them enough," Basham added. "I had three operations. I can remember most of it but once I got to the hospital, they quickly put me on medication I've never had before to get my leg back inside my body. They restructured my ankle. I've had tightropes and metal plates put in and slowly I'm getting back on my feet.

"It could be career-ending, but I'm not sure yet. On a weekly and daily basis, I'm trying to get back to basic things. Just going around carrying a shopping cart is tough. Mentally I've been up and down. It has been great coming back to the training ground, but going in the gym and watching the lads train outside is like stabbing yourself in the heart. It's hard.

"It is so far away that I can't make that decision. Because of my age, it will be difficult. I get a lot of questions in the street. Who knows if I can get back to the elite football stage? But loads of people have come back from worse than this. So we'll see."

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/chris-basham-opens-up-on-sheffield-united-future-uncertainty-after-worst-nightmare-injury-at-fulham-4543058

WhiteJC

20-goal striker now wants to delay transfer decision after Fulham interest
Fulham target Serhou Guirassy isn't expected to make a decision on his future for around two months as he considers a transfer.

We are expecting to see Fulham go for another striker this summer.

Yes, Rodrigo Muniz is on fire right now, but it's difficult to tell whether this is a purple patch or whether the Brazilian is Fulham's next great striker.

Armando Broja is only on loan from Chelsea and, right now, we can't really see a permanent deal being pursued.

That leaves Fulham to look for one more striker to support Muniz and Raul Jimenez this summer – and Stuttgart hitman Serhou Guirassy is a name which won't go away.

Serhou Guirassy latest
Guirassy has been linked with Fulham for a long time now.

Bild claimed back in August that Guirassy had rejected a potential move to Craven Cottage in order to stay at Stuttgart.

Reports in October suggested that Fulham had picked out Guirassy as a key January transfer target, seemingly hoping to change his mind.

No January deal was done but Guirassy is surely still on Fulham's wish list after a stunning season.

20 goals in 18 Bundesliga games is simply ridiculous and the 27-year-old will be a hot commodity come the summer transfer window.

Sky Germany's Florian Plettenberg now reports that Guirassy does't want to make a decision on his future until late April or even early May.

Guirassy has a €20million (£17million) release clause in his contract and Stuttgart currently expect him to leave the club.

The Bundesliga side are chasing Champions League qualification though, and will offer Guirassy a bumper new deal in that situation.

This means Fulham face a wait to try and convince Guirassy to finally make the move to London, with the striker ready to leave any decision until nearer to the end of the season.

The Sun suggested in December that Guirassy fancied a move to Tottenham Hotspur, so Fulham may well face major competition for his signature, but it's worth one more push for the Guinean in the hope of finally securing a deal.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/03/05/20-goal-striker-now-wants-to-delay-transfer-decision-after-fulham-interest/

WhiteJC

Premier League club are considering signing alternative to £35m Chelsea player
Chelsea may not be able to sell Armando Broja to one of their Premier League rivals this summer.

Armando Broja is currently on loan at Fulham and there is a possibility of the west London club trying to sign him permanently at the end of the season, according to CaughtOffside.

At the same time, though, with the striker being valued at £35m by Chelsea, the same outlet claims that Fulham are also considering Al-Shabab's Habib Diallo, who could be a much cheaper alternative.

Broja is yet to actually start a Premier League game for the Cottagers since arriving at the club. He has only made three substitute appearances so far.

Mauricio Pochettino allowed Broja to depart with the hope that he would get more game time, but things have not really worked out that way yet.

Fulham considering signing Habib Diallo instead of Armando Broja
If Chelsea do not drop their valuation of Broja, then Fulham probably are going to turn to alternatives like Diallo.

The fact that Broja is not starting games at Craven Cottage right now is also a worry if you are Chelsea and are hoping to sell the 22-year-old to the Premier League outfit.

All in all, as of now, this loan move has not really worked out for anyone. But there is still a way to go before the season concludes, so hopefully Broja can turn things around.

With Christopher Nkunku picking up yet another injury, perhaps the Albania international would have been better off staying at Stamford Bridge.

Nothing can be done now, though, and he just has to make the most out of his time at Chelsea's west London rivals.

If that does not happen, then the Blues are not going to get £35m from Fulham or any other club for that matter. It is a lot of money for someone who has not played too much football over the past year because of injury.

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/transfer-news/premier-league-club-are-considering-signing-alternative-to-35m-chelsea-player/

WhiteJC

Iwobi's dramatic winner against Man Utd voted Fulham's Goal of the Month for February
Alex Iwobi's injury-time winner against Manchester United at Old Trafford has been named as Fulham's Goal of the Month for February 2024, the Cottagers have informed through their official website.

Manchester United pressed for the winning goal following Harry Maguire's late equalizer, but ultimately suffered a significant setback when Alex Iwobi, who missed a couple of opportunities in the first half, delivered the decisive blow.

In the seventh minute of second half stoppage time, the Super Eagles playmaker slotted past Manchester United's Cameroon goalkeeper Andre Onana, placing the ball into the bottom corner following yet another quick counterattack.

Iwobi saw off competition from international teammate Calvin Bassey, Rodrigo Muniz, Callum Osmand, Lemar Gordon and  Georgia Heasman to win the monthly accolade.

Iwobi's goal garnered 57.2 percent of the fan vote, surpassing Rodrigo Muniz's lob at Burnley, which came in second with 13%..

The Brazilian's goal against Aston Villa and Callum Osmand's effort versus Everton U21s claimed 8.5% and 8% respectively.

Iwobi received nominations for Fulham's Goal of the Month awards in September, November, and December but unfortunately did not secure the accolades.

Since his deadline day move to the Cottagers, the Hale End Academy product has tallied five goals in twenty-two all-competition appearances.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=50697

WhiteJC

Sheffield United have 'already planned' recognition for 'incredible' Fulham defender Tim Ream
Fulham defender Tim Ream is in line to receive some kind of recognition during the trip to Sheffield United later this month.

Sheffield United veteran Chris Basham has today suggested that his career may be over.

Basham suffered a horror injury against Fulham earlier this season and has told Sky Sports that he will be out for a long time – or his career may be over entirely.

Fulham fans will remember that injury and will hope to see Basham make a return at some point, but it's certainly not easy at 35.

Sheffield United host Fulham at Bramall Lane later this month and it looks like Tim Ream will be recognised.

Tim Ream set for Sheffield United recognition
When Basham went down with his injury, Fulham defender Ream was straight over to console Basham and attempt to ease him.

Basham has told Sky Sports that Ream was 'brilliant' through the situation, telling him to just try to relax and let the medical staff do their work.

"Tim Ream was brilliant. He came over and grabbed my hand and said let the medics do their work and you'll be fine. The way that both Fulham and Sheffield United have been with me has been outstanding and I can't thank them enough," said Basham.

Ream was praised at the time with many admiring his compassion for an opposing player in a time of need.

Basham's comments come just weeks ahead of Fulham's trip to face Sheffield United and Basham's comments have brought up Ream's involvement.

Blades fans on social media called on the club to do something to recognise and acknowledge Ream's actions in trying to help a fan favourite in Basham.

Bramall Lane stadium announcer Gary Sinclair has now confirmed that appreciation for Ream is 'already planned', though it's unclear just what that will entail right now.

Sinclair added that Ream was 'incredible' and deserves to win a sportsmanship award from the Premier League.

It's clear that Sheffield United won't forget Ream's contributions and the Fulham centre back will now be the subject of a heart-warming moment at the end of March.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/03/05/sheffield-united-have-already-planned-recognition-for-incredible-fulham-defender-tim-ream/

WhiteJC

Wolves and Fulham 'have their eye' on imposing striker ahead of summer – Club want to double their money
Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers are likely to be in the mix for Wolfsburg's Jonas Wind in the summer, should he express a desire to leave the German side.

That's according to Wolfsburger Allgemeine Aller-Zeitung, who say the Premier League pair are interested in the striker.

The newspaper explains that while Wind hasn't scored in 14 games and appears to be in something of a rut in terms of form, that hasn't meant interest in him has dwindled away.

In fact, according to their information, at least three English clubs have Wind on their list, although they only name Fulham and Wolves specifically.

They say Wind is valued by both clubs as he is a 'typical box player' who can 'put down balls perfectly', is strong in aerial duels thanks to his physique and is usually 'ice cold' in the box.

He also speaks perfect English, which promises 'quick integration' into the squad if he were to move to England this summer.

For now, Fulham and Wolves simply 'have their eye' on him but his recent dry spell in front of goal has not put them off.

Wind has already indicated in interviews he'd be happy playing in the Premier League but isn't pushing for a move as yet, nor are the Germans pushing him out the door either. Both parties appreciate what they have in each other.

The situation could change in the summer, though, particularly if Wind has a good Euro 2024 with Denmark and Wolfsburg don't qualify for Europe this season, which is looking likely.

The belief then is that Wind could ask for a transfer and if that is the case, Wolfsburg intend to get a 'lucrative economic deal' from it.

They paid €12m for Wind in 2022 and are looking to achieve at least double that should he go, with the striker valued at €25m, something Fulham and Wolves will have to be aware of.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/wolves-fulham-eye-imposing-striker-ahead-summer-club-want-double-money/

WhiteJC

West Ham 'Admire' Marco Silva as Potential Moyes Replacement
Fulham manager Marco Silva could emerge as a candidate to replace David Moyes at West Ham United.

West Ham could look to appoint Fulham manager Marco Silva as a replacement for David Moyes.
    Moyes is under pressure and the Hammers have delayed contract talks.
    West Ham's attacking statistics in the Premier League this season show cause for concern.

West Ham United manager David Moyes is set to be out of contract at the end of the season, and Fulham's Marco Silva could now emerge as a candidate to replace him, according to GIVEMESPORT sources.

It's been an overall comfortable season for the Hammers, but their form has taken a dip over the last few months. Moyes has managed to get a tune out of his players over the last few games, beating Brentford and Everton, but they hadn't won in the eight games previous to that.

Marco Silva could become a candidate for West Ham
Silva is admired alongside trio of managers

If West Ham opt to bring in a manager from within the Premier League, then Fulham's Silva could emerge as a candidate for the capital club, according to GMS sources. As it stands, Moyes is under pressure to turn things around and he's yet to sign a new deal despite the Scottish manager claiming he's been offered an extension.

Thomas Tuchel, who is set to leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season, will also be explored by the Hammers. Alongside Silva and Tuchel, technical director Tim Steidten also admires Paulo Fonseca, who is currently in charge of Ligue 1 outfit Lille, and Feyenoord boss Arne Slot.

The Hammers appear to be casting their net wide in search of a potential replacement for Moyes.

David Moyes' Future Hangs in the Balance
The Hammers Might Not Renew His Contract

According to MailOnline, West Ham have decided to delay offering Moyes a new contract after a tricky run of form over the last few months. The news broke after a heavy defeat at home to Arsenal, where West Ham supporters were seen leaving early after a dismal display at the London Stadium.

Moyes' contract will expire at the end of the current campaign, meaning they have an opportunity to go in a new direction. Although the Scottish manager has brought success to the club, winning the Europa Conference League last season, some of the fanbase have concerns over the style of play.

As detailed earlier in the article, West Ham's attacking stats leave a lot to be desired. Although they've picked up some impressive results over the course of the campaign, some of the supporters will want to see a more attractive style of play. In reality, it's all about finding the balance, and the Hammers will have an important decision to make in the summer when Moyes' contract is due to expire.

https://www.givemesport.com/marco-silva-west-ham-united-manager-news/

WhiteJC

Mark Venus makes Birmingham City declaration and explains Jay Stansfield detail
Latest Birmingham City news from BirminghamLive includes Mark Venus on the Hull City draw and Jay Stansfield's omission from the line-up

Mark Venus hailed the impact of his experienced substitutes after they combined to seal a point on the road at Hull City - which Birmingham City now have to build on.

Interim Blues boss Venus introduced four substitutes before the hour-mark before 80th minute arrival Lukas Jutkiewicz struck the decisive blow. Jutkiewicz powered home a header from a wicked right-wing cross by fellow substitute Alex Pritchard.

The point lifted Blues up to 19th in the Championship table and put a tad more breathing space between themselves and the bottom three. Sheffield Wednesday's victory over Plymouth means just two points separate the teams in 23rd and 16th positions.

"I think it has to be a springboard," reflected Venus. "We have had some real tough fixtures and they have stretched us to the limit. To come away and get a point here late in the season when these teams seem to win, hopefully we can build on it and move forward.

"We are going to another difficult place on Saturday so we need all of our experienced players. You saw the difference that Lukas and Alex made when they came onto the pitch tonight. We need everybody with us. We have a big task ahead."

Top scorer Jay Stansfield was among the notable omissions from Blues' starting line-up against Hull. The 21-year-old was rested along with Paik Seung-ho and Koji Miyoshi and should come back into the team at Millwall.

Venus added: "We have five games in 16 days if you count Saturday. It's a lot of physical exertion for these players and we need to nurture them through. I'm pleased they came on and made an impact.

"If anyone was at the game on Saturday they will see how hard (Stansfield) worked and how much effort he put in for the football team. Was giving him 30 minutes better than utilising him for 70, 80 minutes and wearing him out? That's what we said tonight and that's what we did."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-venus-makes-birmingham-city-28762274