watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Predictable Premiier League

Started by filham, March 11, 2024, 10:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Just look at the premier league table it is so predictable, only Chelsea missing from the usual top six of Man.u, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, City and Arsenal.
The top ten with the exception of Brighton, comprises all clubs from the big cities with large grounds and huge fan bases, only Everton are missing, Chelsea fall just short at the moment.

If we could sneak into 10th position it would be such an achievement to get among those big clubs.

COYW

Angus Telford

For various reasons, clubs from small towns with tiny fan bases are unlikely to be hugely successful in any league. As for the present PL composition, I actually think with the demise of Chelsea and Man Utd, and the rise of Villa and arguably Newcastle, things are a bit more fluid now than they were in the early 2000s when it felt like a top four of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd was inevitable. The money and quality in mid-table is also higher than ever, and let's not forgot Man City were in Division 2 not ever so long ago too.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Angus Telford on March 11, 2024, 12:38:48 PMFor various reasons, clubs from small towns with tiny fan bases are unlikely to be hugely successful in any league. As for the present PL composition, I actually think with the demise of Chelsea and Man Utd, and the rise of Villa and arguably Newcastle, things are a bit more fluid now than they were in the early 2000s when it felt like a top four of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd was inevitable. The money and quality in mid-table is also higher than ever, and let's not forgot Man City were in Division 2 not ever so long ago too.

Yes i remember that year, we were at home to them in the League in August and beat them 4 2 and Dirk Lehmann scored a brace.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Dr Know

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 11, 2024, 03:01:41 PM
Quote from: Angus Telford on March 11, 2024, 12:38:48 PMFor various reasons, clubs from small towns with tiny fan bases are unlikely to be hugely successful in any league. As for the present PL composition, I actually think with the demise of Chelsea and Man Utd, and the rise of Villa and arguably Newcastle, things are a bit more fluid now than they were in the early 2000s when it felt like a top four of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd was inevitable. The money and quality in mid-table is also higher than ever, and let's not forgot Man City were in Division 2 not ever so long ago too.

Yes i remember that year, we were at home to them in the League in August and beat them 4 2 and Dirk Lehmann scored a brace.
Thought we won 3-0 with Beardsley getting the other goal !

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Dr Know on March 11, 2024, 04:28:02 PM

I remember the game being 3-0... And some of the City support kicking off

LC

Special mention to Aston Villa who have done really well the last couple of seasons. I think we'll get top 10. We would be challenging for top 7 if we had Mitrovic this year- just goes to show how close things are outside the top 7

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 11, 2024, 05:21:07 PM

Well done both of you, that was  Mondays deliberate mistake.
I was just testing to see how many of you we're alert, and you both past the test with flying colours.👍

Never forget your Roots.

Eton White

The top of the Premier League is pretty predictable, but there are plenty of clubs from big cities well outside the top 10 too, so I wouldn't say that's necessarily the reason the top of the league always looks the way it does. Look at Birmingham City, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds Utd.

I'd also argue that Brighton aren't really an exception as they have a pretty big catchment area for fans with there being no other decent sized clubs in that area - they view Crystal Palace as a local derby, despite them being 50 miles away!

Same with the London clubs. Yes, by far the biggest city, but with so many  clubs dotted throughout it, only a handful have huge fanbases - and there are plenty of very "unsuccessful" London clubs like Leyton Orient, Millwall, Charlton etc.

What is predictable is that most football followers are glory hunters, so it tends to be the same "Big 6-7" at the top year on year as the same handful of clubs always attract the biggest global support, the biggest TV viewing figures and the biggest revenue.

You're right though. We are doing very well to be knocking on that door at the moment - long may it continue!  ::scarf::

Jim©

Wasn't that the game the Gallagher brothers were in the portacabins (I mean executive boxes) at the back of the Hammersmith end?

TheOnionBag

Quote from: Jim© on March 13, 2024, 07:23:39 PM

Wasn't that the game the Gallagher brothers were in the portacabins (I mean executive boxes) at the back of the Hammersmith end?
it was though they left pretty early from what I remember.

Woolly Mammoth

They were, and an unpleasant pair of individuals you are ever likely to meet in one of those boxes.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: TheOnionBag on March 13, 2024, 07:38:23 PM

I thought at least one of them was thrown out!

Ara's bacon crisps

Quote from: RaySmith on March 14, 2024, 11:55:39 AM
Quote from: TheOnionBag on March 13, 2024, 07:38:23 PM

I thought at least one of them was thrown out!
I remember at 3-0 the Hammy End asking Noel what the score was and him standing on the balcony of his corporate portacabin laughing his head off and flicking V signs at us all. Seemed like good natured banter to me 🤷

H4usuallysitting

Curly from Corrie was in the Riverside