watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question about JP's disciplinary record

Started by Ludlow Richard, March 11, 2024, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlow Richard

First, some stats. Palhinha has featured in 58 PL games for us in the last two seasons. He has received 26 yellow cards (15 in 35 games in 2022/23; and 11 in 23 games this season). No red cards. He has missed 3 games in both of 2022/23 and 2023/24 through suspension, 6 games in total.

One yellow in (more or less) every other game is a lot of yellows. I realise he is a defensive midfielder, always in the thick of the action, and we would lose a lot from his game if he held back; and there is also a view that referees reach for the card more quickly for him than they would do for others. Perhaps his reputation precedes him as far as referees are concerned.

He was booked 5 times in his first 7 games for us last season. On his return he then managed nine consecutive games without a yellow. This season his longest "non-yellow streak" is two games.

In the 10 cup ties in which he has featured for us, he has picked up no yellow cards.

Getting (at last) to my question, might the so-called bigger clubs be put off bidding for him by his very poor disciplinary record? 

SuffolkWhite

I'm not sure the bigger clubs would be put off, due to the big club bias that exists from the officials. I think the big clubs know they are favorites with Ref's and var.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Angus Telford

I'd like to see (but admittedly cannot be bothered to do it myself) a ranking of the number of times each player in our squad has been unavailable (whether due to injury, suspension, or international duty/AFCON) preferably weighted against the minutes they've actually played.

I'd wager Palhinha's ratio is no worse than the average player in terms of how many games he misses overall, and his 'liability' for yellow cards is not as impactful as, eg, Reed or Tete's injury history, or Bassey and Iwobi's AFCON committments

Very few players will be available for all 38 games across a full season.

So no, IMO it won't put off any big clubs who are looking at him.

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: Angus Telford on March 11, 2024, 04:02:08 PMI'd like to see (but admittedly cannot be bothered to do it myself) a ranking of the number of times each player in our squad has been unavailable (whether due to injury, suspension, or international duty/AFCON) preferably weighted against the minutes they've actually played.

I'd wager Palhinha's ratio is no worse than the average player in terms of how many games he misses overall, and his 'liability' for yellow cards is not as impactful as, eg, Reed or Tete's injury history, or Bassey and Iwobi's AFCON committments

Very few players will be available for all 38 games across a full season.

So no, IMO it won't put off any big clubs who are looking at him.

Now there's a challenge..........

Surlyc

"Bigger" clubs are put off by his age and the fact they can't justify signing a player from "little old Fulham" unless they have youth on their side.

I'd wager Palhinha gets half the yellow cards if he played for a "bigger" club.

Lighthouse

This may be simply my imagination. But I am not sure that he would have the interest of bigger clubs if they based his form on this season. He has been great but last season he was simply outstanding. This year less so.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Free Elvis Hammond

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on March 11, 2024, 03:54:43 PMI'm not sure the bigger clubs would be put off, due to the big club bias that exists from the officials. I think the big clubs know they are favorites with Ref's and var.

Well after Palhinha, the five players with the most bookings are Caicedo, Nicolas Jackson, Guimaraes, Alvarez and Rodri, so I'm not sure that hangs together

If you look at the fair play table this season, the teams with the most disciplinary points are Sheff Utd, Chelsea, Brighton and Villa. And the teams with the fewest are Arsenal, Luton, Man City and Palace

The refs are crap, but there's no pattern or agenda to it

Chi_FFC

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 11, 2024, 11:00:50 PMThis may be simply my imagination. But I am not sure that he would have the interest of bigger clubs if they based his form on this season. He has been great but last season he was simply outstanding. This year less so.

Yeah, I think it's your imagination. There's been very little difference in his play this season compared to last...if anything, he's probably been a little better in 23-24. His numbers in most statistical categories are certainly better this season.

Nick Bateman

Teams like Fulham are not allowed to have "hard" tacklers, hence so many bookings for what are mostly strong but fair tackles taking the ball cleanly in many occasions. The amount of feigning injury is rife and should be condemned instead of rewarded by incompetant or corrupt officials.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Chi_FFC on March 11, 2024, 11:31:17 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on March 11, 2024, 11:00:50 PMThis may be simply my imagination. But I am not sure that he would have the interest of bigger clubs if they based his form on this season. He has been great but last season he was simply outstanding. This year less so.

Yeah, I think it's your imagination. There's been very little difference in his play this season compared to last...if anything, he's probably been a little better in 23-24. His numbers in most statistical categories are certainly better this season.

Exactly. Most tackles in premier league again this seasons despite his suspensions.

Somerset Fulham

"Man who makes most tackles by a country mile is also one of the most booked" is not the conspiracy theory that you are looking for lads.

Yorkie_FFC

To be fair apart from the start of the season due to the shoulder injury he got in pre-season which is a bit unlucky in football, he has had a fantastic injury free record (touch wood) although some breaks for suspensions you never know might have helped, it is not like he is missing 5-10 games a season through niggling injuries

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Surlyc on March 11, 2024, 09:51:32 PM"Bigger" clubs are put off by his age and the fact they can't justify signing a player from "little old Fulham" unless they have youth on their side.

I'd wager Palhinha gets half the yellow cards if he played for a "bigger" club.

Well for a start he wouldn't have to make as many tackles as they'd have more possession.

Holders

He's obviously a very skilled tackler and, beyond that, the more so to have judged it to have avoided a second yellow on any occasion.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

No doubt we will miss Palhinha, if as rumoured he moves in the summer, but then we can all relax a little because he always seems on the edge of a red card.