News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is the Southgate for Manchester United over?

Started by Nick Bateman, March 24, 2024, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

After watching Southgate flop yesterday will some of the media ditch their campaign to destabilize Man.Utd?

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

SerbianLad

Hopefully not! I don't rate Southgate at all. No better man to replace Ten Hag than him (well someone like Parker or Lampard are probably even better options 😁) .

Grassy Noel

Mark Hughes is ready and waiting for the call and he is of course a red devil.

Eton White

I think they should just promote Steve McClaren from his assistant manager role.

As we all know, he speaks fluent Dutch so he'll slip into Ten Hag's shoes perfectly!

https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90?si=4C20YR20Xtv2jYEB

Hugh Janus

I would love to see Southgate as Man U manager. Please let it happen.

H4usuallysitting

Thailand Mick

Mark Robins has done a fantastic job at Coventry and is an ex player there.

perry geyton

I think Gareth would be perfect for Man Utd. Long May they suffer

Murphy I've lost all respect for, Simons nailed it once again

Carborundum

Suspect this will be Southgate's last tournament in the role.  I don't really understand the strength of criticism he attracts.  Can only solve the problems he is presented and there are two.  Getting England to qualify and getting England to perform at the tournaments.  He's delivered on those to date.  What follows might be a tournament too far for him and some of his team, but he's done alright.

I'd expect him to do well at Manchester United.  Given the inherent bias towards them that FFP delivers, I'd expect quite a few managers would do well after a couple of years to grip the challenge.

Londonfranky

Quote from: Carborundum on March 25, 2024, 08:12:57 AMSuspect this will be Southgate's last tournament in the role.  I don't really understand the strength of criticism he attracts.  Can only solve the problems he is presented and there are two.  Getting England to qualify and getting England to perform at the tournaments.  He's delivered on those to date.  What follows might be a tournament too far for him and some of his team, but he's done alright.
I think the criticism of Southgate is more that he could have done even better than he did do, in both in the Croatia game and the Italy game England scored and early goal, and then he tried to sit on it for the rest of the game instead of trying to get a second, he does seem to play handbrake football a bit like a upgraded Scott Parker, good luck to him at Man Utd there About at least 3 or 4 years away from being a regular top 4 or league winner probably even more
I'd expect him to do well at Manchester United.  Given the inherent bias towards them that FFP delivers, I'd expect quite a few managers would do well after a couple of years to grip the challenge.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Southgate is a Championship level manager league wise, but I do think he does a decent job as England manager. It's such a completely different job.

Basically just keeping the best England players reasonably happy for their weeks together for matches, and for the month or  so if a tournament. He has done very well on that score, and I do think he is genuinely well liked by the players as a person, more so than most previous England managers (except Venables, the players loved him).
His big weaknesses have been his lack of tactical awareness, and also dull football, both of which would quickly show if he was a league manager.

I honestly would be quite happy for him to stay England manager for another 5 years, he's the best man for the job, just hope he would improve the quality of play a bit, he has the players to do it